For the CT residents | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For the CT residents

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
The amount of fan excitement in the arena is directly related to the quality of the competition. We all complain about the old farts (of which I am a member) sitting on their hands during the game but give them a great game and the joint will be jumpin'. On second thought maybe the old farts are sitting on their handss because the seats are so friggen' hard.

As for TV's effect on attendance. It would be nice to know the ratings for the CPTV games. Have they gone up/down apace with the attendance numbers?
HDTV is new this year so I don't know how to measure the impact.

Check with Harriet Unger and find out if CPTV is making their fundraising quota. That should give an answer. Harriet, are you on the Board?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The amount of fan excitement in the arena is directly related to the quality of the competition. We all complain about the old farts (of which I am a member) sitting on their hands during the game but give them a great game and the joint will be jumpin'. On second thought maybe the old farts are sitting on their handss because the seats are so friggen' hard.

As for TV's effect on attendance. It would be nice to know the ratings for the CPTV games. Have they gone up/down apace with the attendance numbers?
HDTV is new this year so I don't know how to measure the impact.
those "old farts" are telling the jumpers to sit down in front

Reaction Score
The amount of fan excitement in the arena is directly related to the quality of the competition.

I definitely understand that. In the waning minutes of a blowout, it's understandable for it to get quiet. There's no need to get on your feel when UCONN increases their lead to 50. But I feel like when a good play happens, no matter at what point in the game, the crowd should try to react a bit more. I understand playing cupcakes can get boring, but if the effort was made to come to the game, I wish the crowd would just try to have more fun.

Reaction Score
Does the aging of the fan base have an impact? The final four is in Denver and I am thinking do I want to go all the way downtown (40-45 mile round trip) or just watch it on tv? When I was young I wouild just go, but not now.

Think about it - all fan bases age. And every fan eventually dies. What is UConn doing to bring in fans closer to 40 years old and not just trying to capture more of the geriatric set?

Installing oxygen tanks for wheezers isn't the answer.

mr006

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of discussion on here about UConn's attendance.

For those who live in CT, how much is having games on CPTV (i bekieve that is the name of the station) factor? Do you find yourself staying at home for some games simply because of the convenience and availability?

Having a television contract is great. Other schools are in television frequent,y because of conference contracts with Fox Sports, but that is mainly for conference games. UConn is unique in that respect because of its television deal. But has this dampened attendance due to the convenience (and comfort) of a televised game? Or is it a matter of economics?

Just curious as to the Yard's opinions...

Reaction Score
It's one issue out of many. The games have been broadcast for years, but this is the first year the games are shot in HD. This, plus the proliferation of HD televisions, absolutely makes staying home a solid option. Back when most people had TVs under 30", which really wasn't that long ago, attending a game, even in the upper bowl, was easily worth the expense and hassle relative to the experience of watching on the tube.

The upper bowl comment is certainly true for Gampel. But have you ever sat in the last row in the XL upper section on court side - say section 216? I have. No joke, it is like watching ants chasing a piece of cotton candy blowing around in the wind. You can't read the numbers on the uniforms. You can tell the home team from the away team, but it would be really hard to tell the difference between Tiff and Brianna. They have tv sets for the last six rows or so for goodness sake! If the choice was seeing the game live and sitting that high or watching it on tv, I would take the tv even if it were only a 19 inch screen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The upper bowl comment is certainly true for Gampel. But have you ever sat in the last row in the XL upper section on court side - say section 216? I have. No joke, it is like watching ants chasing a piece of cotton candy blowing around in the wind. You can't read the numbers on the uniforms. You can tell the home team from the away team, but it would be really hard to tell the difference between Tiff and Brianna. They have tv sets for the last six rows or so for goodness sake! If the choice was seeing the game live and sitting that high or watching it on tv, I would take the tv even if it were only a 19 inch screen.

Now Im curious about the XL Center and the seating/views. I've only been to a handful of arenas that seat between 14,000 - 24,000. The RBC Center in Raleigh, Greensboro Coliseum, Lawerence Joel Coliseum in Winston Salem...the Old Charlotte Coliseum.. the Old Houston Summitt... and Assembly Hall in Champaign IL. I've been in the upper deck in all except for the RBC Center. Is the viewing angle worse in Hartford then other similarly sized buildings?

Reaction Score
Over the same period that is being measured, the economy has gone to crap, people have lost their jobs, gas is more expensive, aren't tickets more too? iirc, tickets used to be pretty much cheap and available. Due to the program's success imho people who can afford it buy season tickets so they can go to the A&M games and blow off the cupcakes. Solution, let people turn in tickets to re-sell and LOWER ticket prices. Raising prices especially in a bad economy was shortsighted.

I'm with the group that would rather watch it on my big screen HD DVR'd samsung than sit in traffic for (from westport), 4 hours roundtrip.

I think the attendance started to decline about the same time as ticket prices went up to $22, and if I recall correctly the kids and senior discounts were discontinued about the same time. Around that same time the economy started to tank, unemployment began to rise. Parking prices on campus went up with the opening of the new parking garage and taking away street parking on Hillstown Rd. CPTV began to televise every game that the "major" networks did not pick up. Kind of a perfect storm of factors, some within UConn's control (parking and ticket costs) some outside their control (the economy and unemployment).

The season ticket prices have now come down in an effort to increase attendance, but as some have said watching the games on tv has now become more of a habit and is a choice that folks are making. UConn needs to figure out a way to entice folks to come back to the games. Not an easy task while the economy and unemployment are in their current states. I am not convinced that even improvement there will translate to more fannies in the seats.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Now Im curious about the XL Center and the seating/views. I've only been to a handful of arenas that seat between 14,000 - 24,000. The RBC Center in Raleigh, Greensboro Coliseum, Lawerence Joel Coliseum in Winston Salem...the Old Charlotte Coliseum.. the Old Houston Summitt... and Assembly Hall in Champaign IL. I've been in the upper deck in all except for the RBC Center. Is the viewing angle worse in Hartford then other similarly sized buildings?
I'd say it's pretty average for arenas of that size built in the era it was built. On a not unrelated note, more recent trends have been to build either a) smaller, more intimate arenas, or b) larger arenas with more focused attention on sight-lines or different kinds of enhanced experiences high up.

Reaction Score

I think the problem with the XL Center is in its configuration. The seating is not equally distributed all the way around like a lot of other arenas. The corner sections don't go very deep, the "end zones" go a bit deeper, but the court side sections go up much higher than all the other sections. I have no experience in other venues. But I looked at the seating chart for the RBC Center, the Greensboro Colliseum, and Assembly Hall. The difference is that most upper sections in those venues have a roughly equal number of rows. Not at all the case with XL.

XL Center Seating

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yes, and do you know when the tickets go on sale?
They're on sale already if you want to buy a package. The problem with the packages is that you get the seats you get and you have no way of knowing what they'll be. There will be ways of buying through the participating schools and on TicketMaster once the bracket is announce.

Here is the link for buying tix now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think the problem with the XL Center is in its configuration. The seating is not equally distributed all the way around like a lot of other arenas. The corner sections don't go very deep, the "end zones" go a bit deeper, but the court side sections go up much higher than all the other sections. I have no experience in other venues. But I looked at the seating chart for the RBC Center, the Greensboro Colliseum, and Assembly Hall. The difference is that most upper sections in those venues have a roughly equal number of rows. Not at all the case with XL.

XL Center Seating

That is a odd layout of seats at the Hartford Civic Center.

Reaction Score
I laugh at the water comments. It's not too hard to sneak a water bottle into the arena in your coat pocket. Except when the governor's visiting and they have to pat everyone down in case you have a bomb or decide to assassinate him with your unauthorized beverage. And just in case you don't get it through, they'll take it. Fortunately, you'll have another bottlecap (which you bought at the CVS as part of a $5.99 24-pack) in your other coat pocket, which you then place on the capless $9.00 bottle. It's genius. Not really. It doesn't take that much brainpower to figure it out.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I was born and raised in Connecticut. I didn't attend UConn, but my sister and my dad did. My dad was a huge fan of the UConn basketball programs, for the football lover that he was, he would chose a UConn game over and NFL game any day, and especially a UConn Women's basketball game - he thought Geno was the greatest.
I have always loved the game of basketball, ever since I was a little kid. I would never be able to play the game well, but I would move heaven and earth to get to as many games I could. I loved the electric atmosphere and being there when the games were being played, home and away, through high school. Then I buried myself in a university with (at the time) a fairly low profile sports program - I lost basketball for 5 years....then oe day Daddy called me in to watch a UConn women's game - and ever since I haven't stopped watching.

In those days, I was very cash strapped, so I watched the games on TV - until in an effort to change my lifeand alter its path, I packed up my things and moved away from Connecticut, but this time I didn't lose my hunger for the game. I listened to the games in WTIC on the computer I borrowed from work, read everything I could lay my hands on regarding the Huskies - I was a veritable UConn basketball junkie....I had to use my imagination because I could only listen to the games, but as you know the folks at TIC are really good calling the game....and I planned my life around the games broadcast on National TV. My friends knew that between November and Early April, I was unavailable on game nights.

and then suddenly there was hoopstreams....and I could watch every game, EVERY GAME! over and over and over again on my computer.
How wonderful!

I can't get to every game. Scheduling around my demanding job and yes, money are the factors though I have gone to games at the garden, in Newark, and I have ventured to Hartford for the BE tourney. I am so grateful to have hoopstreams so that I can see all of the games (they broadcast), I don't care if they are wins or losses (well, maybe I care a little bit), tough games or blowouts. There is something beautiful about play execution, about watching players develop, work through bad days, etc.

I tell you what though - if I had the time and the cash, I would be there for every gam. But right now, far away, I am there in spirit.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The UConn Athletic Department is a case study on how to alienate its fans through a combination of stupid actions (most of which have been described within this thread) or inactive neglect as a logical extension of arrogance, naivete, ignorance or complacency.

They failed to foresee or anticipate the effect of bigger TVs, tighter economy, the novelty of championship wcbb fading or the aging of much of the fan base. Missed every one.

What they should address now with vigor and a sense of urgency is the next logical occurrence and that is that fans who gravitated from arena bench seats to living room recliners may lose interest in watching many games.

One follows the other. Nothing perks up a TV audience of a sports evene so much as crowd excitement at the event and visible to the viewing audience.

A couple of NFL games today provided good examples. Viewers surely hit the "off" button on their TV clicker as the Steelers lambasted the Bengals and large segments of the congregation left early to go home. In contrast, I'll bet viewers (live and at home and in bars) stayed with the Giants vs. Packers game right up to the bitter (very bitter) end.

In summary, when the fans at the arena lose interest, those at home follow that example. And if the UConn AD doesn't realize this, they are unconscionably irresponsible. And it will cost them, dearly.

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of discussion on here about UConn's attendance.

For those who live in CT, how much is having games on CPTV (i bekieve that is the name of the station) factor? Do you find yourself staying at home for some games simply because of the convenience and availability?

Having a television contract is great. Other schools are in television frequent,y because of conference contracts with Fox Sports, but that is mainly for conference games. UConn is unique in that respect because of its television deal. But has this dampened attendance due to the convenience (and comfort) of a televised game? Or is it a matter of economics?

Just curious as to the Yard's opinions...
Just don't seem to have much time to do anything I like anymore. I live well over an hour from Storrs, and have no intention of fighting the crowds to get to or leave from Gampel anymore. A 2 hour game turns into a 6-8 hour project.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
We touched on this in another thread. The lack of excitement from the fans in the crowd is disappointing. I'm having so much fun in the student section while the crowd is just sitting there. I know it can be hard to get very excited during blowouts, but the lack of excitement can also be a detriment to attendance.

On more than one occasion, I have sat next to people who obviously were comped tickets and had little interest in the game. I have been told to sit down at exciting points of games and also to be quiet. At the FSU game last year , myself and a friend were threatened with physical violence by the dolt next to us for being exuberant. The dolt called security. Nothing came of it, but rather than putting up with this guy we spent more than half the game watching from the tunnels between the upper and lower decks until we could find seats in the lower bowl midway through the second half.

These fans should stick to tennis matches or golf tournaments if clapping politely is their idea of being fans.

JS

Reaction Score
On more than one occasion, I have sat next to people who obviously were comped tickets and had little interest in the game. I have been told to sit down at exciting points of games and also to be quiet. At the FSU game last year , myself and a friend were threatened with physical violence by the dolt next to us for being exuberant. The dolt called security. Nothing came of it, but rather than putting up with this guy we spent more than half the game watching from the tunnels between the upper and lower decks until we could find seats in the lower bowl midway through the second half.

These fans should stick to tennis matches or golf tournaments if clapping politely is their idea of being fans.

You've told this sort of story (bad interactions with surrounding fans) before. In fact, in its maiden voyage long ago, it concerned sitting with a friend who was a TN fan. If your friend (I can just imagine who) was actively and vocally rooting for TN in a UConn section, it doesn't shock me that there would be some catcalls. Goes with the territory, literally.

But you ended up in a terminal squabble with posters who didn't like your consequent general broadside against the behavior of UConn fans at games.

Most of us have been exuberant at games, including standing and cheering at exciting moments, without ever experiencing the kind of serious conflict with those around us that you describe. So it seems the common denominator in these stories is you.

In the case you presently describe, it's hard to believe that you and your friend gave up seats that were yours to watch from the tunnel before eventually "finding" seats in the lower bowl.

You posit dolts for neighbors. I weigh the likelihoods as also including people getting uninvited company whose overall behavior they found objectionable.

Nothing wrong with bouncing around from unoccupied seat to seat, much like bouncing among message boards, as long as you're considerate of those around you.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Every big game I've attended over the past couple of years has had a rauckus and fun crowd. Includes Baylor, FSU, Duke, BET championship game, and Stanford.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that you and your friend gave up seats that were yours to watch from the tunnel before eventually "finding" seats in the lower bowl. You posit dolts for neighbors. I weigh the likelihoods as also including people getting uninvited company whose overall behavior they found abrasive.

It was headed in the direction of a physical altercation. I would rather roam the tunnels than go to jail

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Every big game I've attended over the past couple of years has had a rauckus and fun crowd. Includes Baylor, FSU, Duke, BET championship game, and Stanford.
LOL, sitting near us at the Stanford game was a man that read a paperback book the entire time. I presume he came with a fan as driver or whatever.

Reaction Score
I've been a fan of UCONN the women's team since the early 90's. I've attended games at Gampel and XL Center and did not enjoy it due to the lack of intensity. There were times when I felt like I was at the US Open instead of a basketball game. Since I travel frequently, I watch them on hoopstreams. I get a chance to see them in person when they visit St. Johns, Seton Hall or MSG.

UCONN needs to get more students involved - sell them tickets and create an atmosphere that is equivalent to other progams with big-time basketball teams (Duke, UNC, Kansas, Missouri). The scene is changing rapidly; UCONN needs to get saavy with marketing because they can no longer depend on the older generation or alumni with deep pockets to generate income.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members