For the CT residents | Page 3 | The Boneyard

For the CT residents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yeah the NYT is often at the extremes: great (especially if Jere) or non-existent.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
We were out with friends last night at Happy Hour and beyond. They had the UConn game on. It was great seeing it on tv in a bar.

However when it started to become a blowout I heard some people complain and they changed the channel.

I do not attend like I did the first 8-10 years I was a fan. I couldnt get enough of the atmosphere, etc. I did get bored with the blowouts and tv may have made an impact there for us. Overall I would say tv didnt have a big impact.

in the short lived NWBL, I was historian. I not only got to meet players, but got to interview them in locker rooms after games (I am talking the likes of Becky Hammon, Marie Ferdinand, etc). Being on press row when Sue Bird ended up under my table diving for a ball. Even got to sit on the bench with Sheryl Swoopes, Tina Thompson during the championship game.

I have always been one for atmosphere, the experience of being at a great game. After being that close to some of the worlds greatest players, sitting in an upper section after a 45 min drive and parking hasn't been the same. Still attend some of the bigger name games when it looks like it could be a good game.

Still a UConn fan, but have always been a fan of the game first and want to see a great nail biting game.

JS

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself. Gampel tickets that are available are usually on bleachers and my back cannot take sitting without support for that long. I used to buy tickets on e-bay once in awhile when some of the corporate folks would put them up for bid at reasonable prices...not much more than face value. I just do not believe in scalping. I love the excitement of being there and cheering on the team. Living in southeast CT travel is about the same to Gampel or XL.
I did get to the Stamford game...sat in the balcony, not to high up...didn't need my inhaler. Yelled and screamed and enjoyed the hell out of the whole experience.
I do enjoy the convenience of watching on the big screen, but would much prefer to be there. It upsets the hell out of me to see all those empty seats in the lower levels that I would gladly pay for (at face value).
I would make the trip, support the local economy (eat at local restaurants) and fill those seats. I just don't like bleachers or nose bleed seeting when I can watch from the comfort of home. I'm still yelling and screaming...but y'all can't hear me.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
We were out with friends last night at Happy Hour and beyond. They had the UConn game on. It was great seeing it on tv in a bar.

However when it started to become a blowout I heard some people complain and they changed the channel.

I do not attend like I did the first 8-10 years I was a fan. I couldnt get enough of the atmosphere, etc. I did get bored with the blowouts and tv may have made an impact there for us. Overall I would say tv didnt have a big impact.

in the short lived NWBL, I was historian. I not only got to meet players, but got to interview them in locker rooms after games (I am talking the likes of Becky Hammon, Marie Ferdinand, etc). Being on press row when Sue Bird ended up under my table diving for a ball. Even got to sit on the bench with Sheryl Swoopes, Tina Thompson during the championship game.

I have always been one for atmosphere, the experience of being at a great game. After being that close to some of the worlds greatest players, sitting in an upper section after a 45 min drive and parking hasn't been the same. Still attend some of the bigger name games when it looks like it could be a good game.

Still a UConn fan, but have always been a fan of the game first and want to see a great nail biting game.

There is no question but that these early season blowouts can be boring. Jerry Franklin on CPTV kept making comments last night about how UConn fans are on the edge of their seats even when they're 40 points ahead, but he knew that isn't true. However, as pointed out by Geno, the early season schedule is not the real UConn schedule. Let's see how the games go when UConn plays Baylor, Notre Dame (twice), West Virginia, North Carolina, DePaul, Duke, Rutgers, Louisville, and Oklahoma. Maybe even the Cincinnati game could be interesting considering the team's recent record. Is UConn a team that can't be defeated? I doubt it, but if it is, that would make another basis for close attention to their games just to see how well they can do. Remember the 90 game streak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom