For an 11 man roster, UConn is crazy deep at all positions. | The Boneyard

For an 11 man roster, UConn is crazy deep at all positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Before they landed AD, I thought they had quality depth at most positions but had some concerns in the post. With AD, I'm no longer concerned even though 3 of our 6 players who can play the 4 and/or 5 have little to no high major experience. There is a lot of youth on this team, but like last season I think this group will come together at some point this season. IMO the key UConn's depth lies with having so many players who can play more than one position. Consider the following:

Bazz (1/2 Combo) - Primarily a PG who can run the offense, he can turn on the scoring switch and put up points at either guard position.

Boat Show (1/2 Combo) - His game reminded me a lot of Kemba. I'm not saying he'll be as good, but he has the same skill set. He'll be Napier's backup at the 1, but should see quite a bit of time at the 2 or as the 3rd guard when JC goes with the 3G-Set.

Lamb (2-3-1 Combo) - Jeremy will split most of his time between the 2 & 3, but don't be surprised if you see him running the team like he at times last season. Although he'll likely be UConn's top perimeter scorer he gives UConn that important emergency PG if Bazz or Boat get into foul trouble.

Daniels (3-4-2 Combo) - He's a true combo forward, but has an exceptional handle for a kid his size and ability to create for himself. Although he'll see most of his minutes at the wing, he could get some minutes at the 4 and even the 2 if they run out of options at the off-guard position. I doubt there will be much of a need for him at the 2. He has 4-man length, but there seems to be enough good options there.

Giffey (3-2 Combo) - Niels is much more 3 than 2, though he has a good enough handle to fill in if needed. Unless there is some serious foul trouble with Bazz, Boat and Lamb, it is unlikely either Daniels or Giffey spend much time at the 2. Niels will have his hands full trying to carve out time at the wing having to complete with Roscoe & Deandre.

Roscoe (3/4 Combo) - Hard to say where Scoe is going to get most of his PT now that they added AD. I would not be surprised if he gets a lot of time at both positions. He used his length and athleticism to lock of some of the best 4-men during last season's NCAA tournament. Although he has the ability to knock down Js out to 3 and guard opposing wings, he needs to improve his handle and ability to create for himself. He's got a lot of competition at both positions.

Olander (4) - Tyler is pretty much all power-forward. He's a hard worker who showed a nice touch on his mid-range J. He'll continue to carve out some PT this upcoming season, though Alex and Roscoe plan on stealing much of it.

Oriakhi (4/5 Combo) - The addition of AD probably pushes more of Alex's PT to the 4. He's an excellent post defender and can put up monster rebounding numbers when he wants to. He lacks discipline in boxing out, but really stepped it up in the post season. If he can learn some post moves and learn to square his body to the basket and not throw up some off balanced shots he has the chance to have a dominating season.

Bradley (4/5 Combo) - He's got plenty of length to play either post position. He'll likely get a time at both positions. We haven't seen much of him, but he's an athletic big man who seems to have a nice mid-range J. With Drummond a likely one-and-done, JC will try to develop MB for a bigger role in 2012/13.

Wolf (5) - We only saw a few minutes of the big German. He showed a nice handle and mid-range in the clips I watched before he arrived in Storrs last season. He didn't look quite as mobile as I had imagined once he did play, though it was reported he was coming off some injury and wasn't in very good shape. He was a face to the basket type player (4-man type game) but he'll likely be groomed for the 5. He and Bradley will be in a PT battle for time as a back-up center.

Drummond (5/4 Combo) - He's got skills to play either position but will likley spend most of his time as UConn's starting center. 6-11, 275 for an incoming freshman is eye popping. He can knock down midrange Js but will likely be strongly encouraged to stay close to the basket where he can dominate. Unless he struggles with foul trouble and learning the offense and help-defense, he's going to log big time minutes at the 5.

I'm sure some of the newcomers will struggle early on, but by around the middle of BE play, this team has the pieces to hit their stride and never look back. Let's hope that this young team follows the pattern that many of JC's teams of the past have followed by getting better as the season goes on and ready to make noise come March.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Before they landed AD, I thought they had quality depth at most positions but had some concerns in the post. With AD, I'm no longer concerned even though 3 of our 6 players who can play the 4 and/or 5 have little to no high major experience. There is a lot of youth on this team, but like last season I think this group will come together at some point this season. IMO the key UConn's depth lies with having so many players who can play more than one position. Consider the following:

Bazz (1/2 Combo) - Primarily a PG who can run the offense, he can turn on the scoring switch and put up points at either guard position.

Boat Show (1/2 Combo) - His game reminded me a lot of Kemba. I'm not saying he'll be as good, but he has the same skill set. He'll be Napier's backup at the 1, but should see quite a bit of time at the 2 or as the 3rd guard when JC goes with the 3G-Set.

Lamb (2-3-1 Combo) - Jeremy will split most of his time between the 2 & 3, but don't be surprised if you see him running the team like he at times last season. Although he'll likely be UConn's top perimeter scorer he gives UConn that important emergency PG if Bazz or Boat get into foul trouble.

Daniels (3-4-2 Combo) - He's a true combo forward, but has an exceptional handle for a kid his size and ability to create for himself. Although he'll see most of his minutes at the wing, he could get some minutes at the 4 and even the 2 if they run out of options at the off-guard position. I doubt there will be much of a need for him at the 2. He has 4-man length, but there seems to be enough good options there.

Giffey (3-2 Combo) - Niels is much more 3 than 2, though he has a good enough handle to fill in if needed. Unless there is some serious foul trouble with Bazz, Boat and Lamb, it is unlikely either Daniels or Giffey spend much time at the 2. Niels will have his hands full trying to carve out time at the wing having to complete with Roscoe & Deandre.

Roscoe (3/4 Combo) - Hard to say where Scoe is going to get most of his PT now that they added AD. I would not be surprised if he gets a lot of time at both positions. He used his length and athleticism to lock of some of the best 4-men during last season's NCAA tournament. Although he has the ability to knock down Js out to 3 and guard opposing wings, he needs to improve his handle and ability to create for himself. He's got a lot of competition at both positions.

Olander (4) - Tyler is pretty much all power-forward. He's a hard worker who showed a nice touch on his mid-range J. He'll continue to carve out some PT this upcoming season, though Alex and Roscoe plan on stealing much of it.

Oriakhi (4/5 Combo) - The addition of AD probably pushes more of Alex's PT to the 4. He's an excellent post defender and can put up monster rebounding numbers when he wants to. He lacks discipline in boxing out, but really stepped it up in the post season. If he can learn some post moves and learn to square his body to the basket and not throw up some off balanced shots he has the chance to have a dominating season.

Bradley (4/5 Combo) - He's got plenty of length to play either post position. He'll likely get a time at both positions. We haven't seen much of him, but he's an athletic big man who seems to have a nice mid-range J. With Drummond a likely one-and-done, JC will try to develop MB for a bigger role in 2012/13.

Wolf (5) - We only saw a few minutes of the big German. He showed a nice handle and mid-range in the clips I watched before he arrived in Storrs last season. He didn't look quite as mobile as I had imagined once he did play, though it was reported he was coming off some injury and wasn't in very good shape. He was a face to the basket type player (4-man type game) but he'll likely be groomed for the 5. He and Bradley will be in a PT battle for time as a back-up center.

Drummond (5/4 Combo) - He's got skills to play either position but will likley spend most of his time as UConn's starting center. 6-11, 275 for an incoming freshman is eye popping. He can knock down midrange Js but will likely be strongly encouraged to stay close to the basket where he can dominate. Unless he struggles with foul trouble and learning the offense and help-defense, he's going to log big time minutes at the 5.

I'm sure some of the newcomers will struggle early on, but by around the middle of BE play, this team has the pieces to hit their stride and never look back. Let's hope that this young team follows the pattern that many of JC's teams of the past have followed by getting better as the season goes on and ready to make noise come March.

I doubt you will see Lamb anywhere but at the 2 spot. If we had no serviceable wings, you could certainly put him there, but with Roscoe, Giffey and DD, there is no need to slide the 6'5 guy there. Some have suggested a few times about a three guard set - don't think you will see it hardly ever. 3 true guards and 3 true wings. I can't think of a reason to go that small. If there is ever a time that Lamb has to play the point guard position, we are in a world of hurt. I like his handle for a 2, but he is not a point. Likewise, you hit on it, but I doubt we'll see DD at the 2. Giffey in a pinch can be the two. As for Alex and Drummond and who plays the 4 or 5, they are interchangeable on offense and doesn't matter which number you assign to which. On defense, Drummond will be in the middle.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I doubt you will see Lamb anywhere but at the 2 spot. If we had no serviceable wings, you could certainly put him there, but with Roscoe, Giffey and DD, there is no need to slide the 6'5 guy there. Some have suggested a few times about a three guard set - don't think you will see it hardly ever. 3 true guards and 3 true wings. I can't think of a reason to go that small. If there is ever a time that Lamb has to play the point guard position, we are in a world of hurt. I like his handle for a 2, but he is not a point. Likewise, you hit on it, but I doubt we'll see DD at the 2. Giffey in a pinch can be the two. As for Alex and Drummond and who plays the 4 or 5, they are interchangeable on offense and doesn't matter which number you assign to which. On defense, Drummond will be in the middle.
If the game is close, I would expect the three guard set at the end of games, similar to this past season.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think Drummond is the best thing that could have happened to Alex. It puts him firmly at the 4, where his future lies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If the game is close, I would expect the three guard set at the end of games, similar to this past season.
In a really close game, I think you still see Roscoe in there for his defense. If you're protecting an 8 point lead with a minute left, you might go small to have your best free throw shooters and handlers in there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll freely call myself a kool-aid drinker with this team. I can't recall any Uconn team ever having as much talent and big game experience as this team- ever.
Literally every returning player is undefeated in tournament play, has been through a full BE regular season and we have arguably our most talented recruiting class ever.
Remember, two months ago we were wetting ourselves over DD's commitment and now, with AD committing, DD is hardly mentioned. We have added two of the most sure-fire front court recruits ever and the Boat Show isn't a slouch either.
Returning 9 players from an NCAA tourney team, a no-brain top-3 draft pick at worst NBA center, an elite wing and a freaky athletic combo guard to the team makes me feel confident against every team in the country.
If you aren't stoked, walking around with championship shirts ablazing and talking to any UNC or UK fan, well, too bad. No team in the country can say they have a player who has performed in bigger games than Lamb. I'll put dollar bets on Roscoe stopping Barnes in any sports bar.
This team has a chance to be the best defensive team since the 89-91 UNLV teams with Anthony, Hunt, Augman and Johnson. We have NBA size length and skill at every position.
Hoist up a sacred and know it's good to be the King.

Reaction Score
charlie-sheen-winning-resized-600.jpg

Reaction Score
"We have NBA size length and skill at every position."

i found it funny that in the 2011 f4 after we won the title the sports writers went on and on about how bad the game was and how all four teams were effected by playing in a dome bla bla bla. vcu/butler combined for 132 pts in their semi and butler scored 70 of those pts. not a bad number by any means. in the uk/uconn game there were 111 pts scored. 56 by uconn and 55 by uk. in the title game their were 94 pts scored 53 by uconn and 41 by butler. now in the elite 8 uk scored 76 pts but were only able to put up 55 on uconn. butler put up 70 on vcu but could only manage 41 against uconn. you look at all these teams,numbers and theories about teams being affected by the dome and there is only one conclusion you come to that makes the most sense. UCONNS DEFENSE was the cause of both uk/butlers dreadful shooting nights not the dome.
now to my point,with that size and athleticism its going to be interesting to see how teams are going to score consistantly against us especially if they cant match our size (most teams simply wont) and talent.

Reaction Score

i found it funny that in the 2011 f4 after we won the title the sports writers went on and on about how bad the game was and how all four teams were effected by playing in a dome bla bla bla. vcu/butler combined for 132 pts in their semi and butler scored 70 of those pts. not a bad number by any means. in the uk/uconn game there were 111 pts scored. 56 by uconn and 55 by uk. in the title game their were 94 pts scored 53 by uconn and 41 by butler. now in the elite 8 uk scored 76 pts but were only able to put up 55 on uconn. butler put up 70 on vcu but could only manage 41 against uconn. you look at all these teams,numbers and theories about teams being affected by the dome and there is only one conclusion you come to that makes the most sense. UCONNS DEFENSE was the cause of both uk/butlers dreadful shooting nights not the dome.
now to my point,with that size and athleticism its going to be interesting to see how teams are going to score consistantly against us especially if they cant match our size (most teams simply wont) and talent.

And how many points did Arizona hang on the Dookies? 95? They managed a lot less against us. People will look back at Kemba's heroics when discussing the 2010-2011 Huskies, but as Kemba would tell you, it was the team defense that won it for us.

Reaction Score
We have a really deep squad. The only poisition where there isn't a true backup is the "2", but there are plenty of options to fill that tole between Boat, Giffey, and Daniels.

Reaction Score
We have a really deep squad. The only poisition where there isn't a true backup is the "2", but there are plenty of options to fill that tole between Boat, Giffey, and Daniels.

ya, completely agree. Although it's the one position we probably won't' need to be deep, since Lamb will probably play around 35 minutes per game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ya, completely agree. Although it's the one position we probably won't' need to be deep, since Lamb will probably play around 35 minutes per game.

Lamb isn't going to average 35 minutes a game. 31-32 minutes. He is still growing in to his body. He's needs a 4 minute break each half. Boatright and Napier can play together for spurts.

Reaction Score
Lamb isn't going to average 35 minutes a game. 31-32 minutes. He is still growing in to his body. He's needs a 4 minute break each half. Boatright and Napier can play together for spurts.

hahaha....I guess we shall see.

Reaction Score

+1 on that, fleudslipcon. Also match-ups and game situation will dictate when JC uses the 3G-set, which is when Lamb would be at the 3. In addition to end-of-game situations where you might want better handlers or FT shooters, assuming Boatright is good from the stripe which I don't know, foul trouble at the wing (hard to believe that will happen much with 3 that can play that position) and possibly matching some teams that have a small and quick 3G-type line-ups might dictate a 3Gs counter from JC.

Reaction Score
I think if we face the quick 3 guard line up a lot will depend on how much size we give up 1-3. While we will have the speed and tude advantage with Bazz and Boat we will be giving up some hight and bulk. I and wondering if the staff will basically stick to 2 guards and know that if someone gets past them on D there is AD,AO and JL waiting for them. I would hate to get away from the crushing D we displayed toward the end of the year but it is going to be hard to score around the basket.

Reaction Score
In a really close game, I think you still see Roscoe in there for his defense. If you're protecting an 8 point lead with a minute left, you might go small to have your best free throw shooters and handlers in there.

End of game situations will dictate some of this. Opponents that have dangerous scoring wings, especially long ones, Roscoe will probably be called upon to lock them up. Don't forget Daniels is also 6-8, though I have no idea what type of defender he is. It wasn't that long ago the team did not have much of a defensive answer for the opposing team's top perimeter scorer, especially when it came from the wing. It seemed on a nightly basis someone was having a career scoring night against us.

Now they have two 6-8 wings and a 6-7 one (Giffey) that can be rotated on the opposing team's top scorer. We might even see two of these three on the floor at the same time if a team has two long wing type scorers. Though how often does that happen?

The only possible mismatch I can even think of is if a team has a big strong back-court (GU's Chris Wright type guards), though I'm not so sure about that. Even undersized, I think Napier & Boartright can use their quickness to disrupt bigger guards. What they give away with height and weight, they'll make up for with quick hands and feet.

I don't think it will be a problem, but the two areas that could be a problem on any given night would be outside shooting and in-side efficiency. I only include this because these were weaknesses last season, though I think they'll be much improved in both areas. Like last season, I don't think you'll see the team jack up a lot of 3s like dook and UK do, but if teams do zone them, I think they'll have plenty of good jump shooters, including beyond the arc, to knock down enough Js to keep teams honest. With AD, they have a big that should be quite efficient when getting the ball in dunking distance. Hopefully Alex and Tyler can improve their interior scoring and the two other big fellas take wise shots and finish off put backs.

I guess you could add shot selection. Last season the shot selection was pretty good. Granted, Napier would have at least one of these WTF were you thinking shots. Until we get to see them in action who knows how Boatright, DD, AD and all the players to that matter will handle life without Kemba, since his plethora of shots will be spread out to many, especially Lamb.

Reaction Score

His minutes will be impacted by how well the other 10 players develop. He's not going to get as many minutes at the wing as he did last season with the addition of Daniels and the improvement of Giffey making strong cases for PT. The addition of AD will push more of Oriakhi's minutes from the 5 to the 4, pushing some of Roscoe's minutes back to the 3.

I also think that Boatright is going to make a strong case to get some time at the 2. He and Bazz are likely going to see some time together on the floor, so this as well as what noted above will likely put Lamb on average in the 31-to 32 minute range. I'm sure there will be some games where JC will ride the hot arm of Lamb (isn't is a leg of lamb? :)) and he'll get big time minutes, but on average I think we'll see JC go deep into his bench and push them play at a very high RPM when they're in there, knowing he has someone ready to come right in. As long as there isn't major chemistry problems and the team can maintain a high level of play mixing and matching many parts, like he did last season, you're probably not going to see any players logging ridiculous minutes like you saw last year.

I think JC is going to go at least 9 players deep rotation wise and probably some spot PT for Bradley and Wolf. The two forward spots seem problematic PT wise. If AD gets a lot of time at the 5, I don't see Alex, Roscoe and Olander splitting that time up liberally. Might be the same case at the wing with Roscoe, Daniels & Giffey. Roscoe will get him minutes at the 3 & 4. I think DD and Giffey will be in a huge battle for PT. I would not be shocked if JC gives one of them big minutes one game and the other guy big minutes the next. He's done that before. Last season Giffey and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel battled for back-up minutes at the wing. Sometimes JC road the hot hand. Early on though he gave solid minutes to both though usually gave more to whoever was executing better that game.

We have to keep in mind that JC often sacrifices the minutes for one player to develop another. What makes this season quite interesting is that AD and Lamb will likely not be here next season, so he has to balance winning now and developing the team for this march with developing some players for 2012/13, plus keeping most of them happy so that they return next season. None of this will be easy.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lamb and DD will cause so many mismatches. I believe Calhoun said DD's height will help us a lot against the zone on the perimeter

Reaction Score
I'll freely call myself a kool-aid drinker with this team. I can't recall any Uconn team ever having as much talent and big game experience as this team- ever.
Literally every returning player is undefeated in tournament play, has been through a full BE regular season and we have arguably our most talented recruiting class ever.
Remember, two months ago we were wetting ourselves over DD's commitment and now, with AD committing, DD is hardly mentioned. We have added two of the most sure-fire front court recruits ever and the Boat Show isn't a slouch either.
Returning 9 players from an NCAA tourney team, a no-brain top-3 draft pick at worst NBA center, an elite wing and a freaky athletic combo guard to the team makes me feel confident against every team in the country.
If you aren't stoked, walking around with championship shirts ablazing and talking darn to any UNC or UK fan, well, too bad. No team in the country can say they have a player who has performed in bigger games than Lamb. I'll put dollar bets on Roscoe stopping Barnes in any sports bar.
This team has a chance to be the best defensive team since the 89-91 UNLV teams with Anthony, Hunt, Augman and Johnson. We have NBA size length and skill at every position.
Hoist up a sacred and know it's good to be the King.

Reaction Score
Lamb and DD will cause so many mismatches. I believe Calhoun said DD's height will help us a lot against the zone on the perimeter

DD, RS or Lamb can flash to the FT line against a zone and shoot over almost anyone.

Reaction Score

I love the depth overall, but I think people are overlooking the lack of depth AND inexperience in the backcourt and lack of ballhandlers. If Shabazz gets hurt we have zero = no experienced ballhandlers. That is not depth. Ditto if he is in foul trouble which is inevitable given his style of play. I don't know anything about Boatright and understand that those who follow recruiting are confident and psyched about him, but even still there is uncertainty until he gets into a game at college level. Typically Calhoun carries a Donnell Beverly type to provide extra ballhandling when 3G's are needed or to give the primary ballhandler a key break here and there. Unless a walk-on is capable there is no one to do that.

Additionally scrimmages will likely require Shabazz and Boatright always on opposing squads.

One game situation strategy to overcome this is to have a SF occasionally bring the ball up to give the PG that mental and physical break - Celtics do that quite a bit with Rondo as they've had trouble with reliable backups for him for years.

Reaction Score
This team is crazy good. I'd second the fact that Lamb won't play 35. He's only going to play that much if we're in trouble from the get-go. This team is deep, exactly what last year's team wasn't at the beginning of the year. That's why AO and Kemba were registering some insane amount of minutes towards the beginning of the season. But the reason we were ultimately successful last year is that we could rely enough on the rest of the team to balance out the work load on Kemba.

I am really excited for this team. I'm hoping Drummond can really be an impact from day 1. As long as he's assertive, then he should be alright, but I almost worry he will fall into the Hash hype and not take charge down low.

Reaction Score
First post. This has been an amusement ride since 88. Preseason experts.- I think that Calhoun coaches best with smaller lineups but prefers big especially at the 3 that tend to stall in zone. As talented/versatile as this team is, Calhoun will play big (probably the right move given personell). Our only real weakness besides chemistry or crazy-bad luck is that we find a small, good shooting team that plays zone and we shoot too much outside. Still, it is like being at the casino, having a 4 of a kind and upset the waitress hasn't come quick enough.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

Excellent, excellent point. By the way, that Arizona game: they scored 63, and scored 93 against Puke. Our defense took 30 points away from them. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom