For an 11 man roster, UConn is crazy deep at all positions. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For an 11 man roster, UConn is crazy deep at all positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Excellent, excellent point. By the way, that Arizona game: they scored 63, and scored 93 against Puke. Our defense took 30 points away from them. Wow.

nice stat. just strengthens my case and the case of every knowledgeable uconn fan. our defense got better as the tourney went on to offset the poor shooting from all those games the team played in march.

Reaction Score
I think PG is where UConn has the least depth...Boatright provides some depth but past him I don't see who can spell the two of them. Third choice would likely be Lamb, but he is likely going to be busy elsewhere on the court.

C

Chief00

DM - Good post. Its amazing how adding one guy makes us deep at all positions - except maybe 2 guard. DM - Are you now, finally excited about AD?

I now don't see Lamb playing much at the 3 - given the strengthen front court rotation and Daniels perhaps giving us a shooter at the 3. Occasionally JC may move Bazz to 2 with Boat at 1. But, I see that in only occassional 3-5 minutes bursts.

I hear Alex is thrill to be playing the 4 - with AD listed as a "C" on the rooster. I can't tell you how huge that was in Alex working OT to get AD on-board. By the time he leaves AD may prove to be one of the best Captains in UConn history. He is a high character guy.

OK I will go out on a limb. I predict during the real season - late December and beyond Bradley will get more PT than Wolf. Wolf may do better early on against the cupcakes but Bradley's better athleticism will start to get him more playing time than Wolf.

Got to get the football mode on - about ready to leave for The Rent!
Go Huskies!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
In retrospect all the hand wringing and self flaggellation last summer seems pretty looking back! Last year we lost out on all of our top choices and had to "settle". Boy what a difference a year makes.

Reaction Score
Yup...all 3 of those PG recruits we thought UConn had a chance with are no longer playing college ball and only one of them had a pretty good year, Knight.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
OK I will go out on a limb. I predict during the real season - late December and beyond Bradley will get more PT than Wolf. Wolf may do better early on against the cupcakes but Bradley's better athleticism will start to get him more playing time than Wolf.

Got to get the football mode on - about ready to leave for The Rent!
Go Huskies!
What limb. It has to be really large since many have predicted Bradley gets more playing than Wolf with many of us wondering if Wolf gets a redshirt.

Reaction Score
I think Drummond is the best thing that could have happened to Alex. It puts him firmly at the 4, where his future lies.
I'm not sure about that RichZ, although I will agree Andre is a tremendous assistance to AO. From what I see AD is our 4 and AO firmly still a back-to-the-basket 5. Andre and AO will be switching around the 4/5 all year but in together AD shows a tremendous set of skills with his handling ability and his passing is superb, both of which AO struggles with. But off the ball AO will thrive as when AD has the ball and is doubled he wil find the open man from what I can see. No matter it's all good!!

Reaction Score
I doubt you will see Lamb anywhere but at the 2 spot. If we had no serviceable wings, you could certainly put him there, but with Roscoe, Giffey and DD, there is no need to slide the 6'5 guy there. Some have suggested a few times about a three guard set - don't think you will see it hardly ever. 3 true guards and 3 true wings. I can't think of a reason to go that small. If there is ever a time that Lamb has to play the point guard position, we are in a world of hurt. I like his handle for a 2, but he is not a point. Likewise, you hit on it, but I doubt we'll see DD at the 2. Giffey in a pinch can be the two. As for Alex and Drummond and who plays the 4 or 5, they are interchangeable on offense and doesn't matter which number you assign to which. On defense, Drummond will be in the middle.

Lamb may get some PG play here and there. Would be nice to see a super tall line up with him at the PG and DD at the 2, along with Scoe, Alex and Andre. It would be like an NBA roster.

C

Chief00

What limb. It has to be really large since many have predicted Bradley gets more playing than Wolf with many of us wondering if Wolf gets a redshirt.

So there is no carryover from my Drummond limb - that he would play for UConn this season even after he had committed to Munson? True not all my predictions are that sensational. I don't know ....maybe more people think Bradley will play more than Wolf. My point is I guess I don't think Wolf will help. Bradley is a maybe. Quite frankly, I have not given it as much thought as you. Since the answer to that question may not impact the outcome of any games this year????

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So there is no carryover from my Drummond limb - that he would play for UConn this season even after he had committed to Munson? True not all my predictions are that sensational. I don't know ....maybe more people think Bradley will play more than Wolf. My point is I guess I don't think Wolf will help. Bradley is a maybe. Quite frankly, I have not given it as much thought as you. Since the answer to that question may not impact the outcome of any games this year????
Just bringing you up to date with what's been posted.

Reaction Score
Lamb may get some PG play here and there. Would be nice to see a super tall line up with him at the PG and DD at the 2, along with Scoe, Alex and Andre. It would be like an NBA roster.

I think defensively that puts us at a disadvantage with Lamb & DD trying to chase around small guards, they have the length to potentially recover but a more conventional lineup is better imo. NBA teams aren't even really put out guys that tall & long at PG & SG.

Reaction Score
Lamb isn't going to average 35 minutes a game. 31-32 minutes. He is still growing in to his body. He's needs a 4 minute break each half. Boatright and Napier can play together for spurts.

do you still disagree with me?

Reaction Score
Until we see Boatright out there getting it done (which I think he will) I'm slightly worried about our depth at the point. But that's a pretty minor concern at this point.

Reaction Score
There's WAAAAAY more to depth than scoring. Also, having great depth is about players coming off the bench and excelling against top competition. Players like AD and DD can come off the bench and match up with teams like Kentucky and North Carolina on offense and defense because of their length and athleticism.

Reaction Score
There's WAAAAAY more to depth than scoring. Also, having great depth is about players coming off the bench and excelling against top competition. Players like AD and DD can come off the bench and match up with teams like Kentucky and North Carolina on offense and defense because of their length and athleticism.
so now the definition of "quality depth" is based on perceived performance against teams you that aren't on your schedule?

Reaction Score
Q: guess what these numbers are 37-49-49

A: SU bench scoring through 3 games

They better score because your starters aren't as good as many of them. You won't get that kind of scoring all year as it will not be Manhattan (biggest guy was about 6'4" and there was one of him) every game and JB will need to whittle down to 8-9 guys. Plus if Waiters continues to play like he is JB will also realize that he's better than both Triche and Scoop. CJ Fair is nice, Southerland is nice as well as MCW. Keita is also better than Fab and Xmas guy hasn't done much as of yet so the bench needs to score! Like it or not it's still a typical Syracuse team - they start throwing up all kinds of crap shots and alley oops which don't connect and despite their talent, will always keep teams in the game. With the guys they have, on a given night, they will throw the hammer down on teams some real good teams I'm sure. But the stinkers will be there like it or notr!

I know you guys have this huge lovefest cooking on your "depth" and "Fab Melo's dramatic improvement" (joke)so congrats on that........maybe you can have a party with dashy as your pivotman!!

Reaction Score
They better score because your starters aren't as good as many of them. You won't get that kind of scoring all year as it will not be Manhattan (biggest guy was about 6'4" and there was one of him) every game and JB will need to whittle down to 8-9 guys. Plus if Waiters continues to play like he is JB will also realize that he's better than both Triche and Scoop. CJ Fair is nice, Southerland is nice as well as MCW. Keita is also better than Fab and Xmas guy hasn't done much as of yet so the bench needs to score! Like it or not it's still a typical Syracuse team - they start throwing up all kinds of crap shots and alley oops which don't connect and despite their talent, will always keep teams in the game. With the guys they have, on a given night, they will throw the hammer down on teams some real good teams I'm sure. But the stinkers will be there like it or notr!

I know you guys have this huge lovefest cooking on your "depth" and "Fab Melo's dramatic improvement" (joke)so congrats on that........maybe you can have a party with dashy as your pivotman!!

dude, Fab Melo was a pivotal part of their round of 32 run

Reaction Score
Before they landed AD, I thought they had quality depth at most positions but had some concerns in the post. With AD, I'm no longer concerned even though 3 of our 6 players who can play the 4 and/or 5 have little to no high major experience. There is a lot of youth on this team, but like last season I think this group will come together at some point this season. IMO the key UConn's depth lies with having so many players who can play more than one position.
Until we get Boatright, we are NOT a deep team. The NCAA is playing us big-time.

Reaction Score
We will play Quse twice this year. That is were I'd like us to do out talking- on the court.
I love it that a Quse fan is on our board defending the fact they are deeper then we are? News flash- most teams in the country right now have at least two more players to work with then we do this year. If you look at the fact we got dinged two schollies - we are a very deep team from a quality stand point. Every team in the BE has more bodies then we do- but we have better players then most teams.

Hang your hat on your depth this year- we just hung our third NC banner. SCOREBOARD.

Reaction Score
so now the definition of "quality depth" is based on perceived performance against teams you that aren't on your schedule?

No. Quality depth is a center who is 6'11" 277 lbs with a 7'5" wing span and a 42" vertical leap that can get low post position against any one in the country because he is the fastest player on the team and can beat every center college or pro down the court. Quality depth is a guy who has both the physical tools to block shots against any player in the country and keep them in bounds. Quality depth is a guy who has the endurance to play every possession hard on both offense and defense and has the length to block shots while covering players from the guard through forward position. Quality depth is a guy who can come off the bench with a perfect 3 point stroke and knock down open shots against tall and athletic opponents. Quality depth is a guy who can come into final 4 and championship games and make big contributions to stop the opposing team on nearly every possession. Quality depth is having a coaching staff that has amassed numerous national championships and has about 100 years of head coaching experience. Quality depth is having both starting and bench players with national championship experience. Any further questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom