Focus on Duke and the Oregon trip | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Focus on Duke and the Oregon trip

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No, playing at University of Portland's "Chiles Center" for the first game
Damn!! UConn’s only west coast road trip and I can’t go. My wife is recovering from knee replacement surgery 3 weeks ago. My daughter and I are her caregivers.

I hope they come back before Ice’s homecoming game in San Diego in 2025-2026. I will definitely be there. The sophomores, juniors and seniors on this team will all be gone, but I’m going anyway.
We should find out about the long term idea of Aubrey starting over the next two weeks. The key to UConn's season is not how they are playing now, but entering the playoffs. After two games, most indicators are that you want Aubrey to play as many minutes as possible, but I wonder about rebounding against the South Carolina's and Stanford's. That being said, Aubrey has been such a great performer this year so it wouldn't surprise me to see her start excelling in this part of the game as well.
With Aubrey playing so well in place of Dorka means there is "no rush" in getting Dorka back, and more minutes for the 4 reserves. :cool:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Are there any UCONN Boneyard fans coming out for the Nike Legacy Tournament? If you are, I would love to meet you at the game. For the Friday games at University of Portland "Chiles Center", my daughter and I are sitting in SEC 12L, Row 12, seats 10 & 11. And same for any Dukies (@triaddukefan)?
I will be there. I have my e-tickets, but they aren't handy to look at, so I don't know my seat number. I will try to remember to come and visit you.

I will also attend the men's games.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Under Gail Goestenkors, Duke and UConn were rivals, with Duke behind UConn and Tennessee in the 1999-2007 period. Goestenkors went 2-2 against UConn with both wins coming in the state of Connecticut (Hartford and Bridgeport).

Under Joanne P. McCallie, that was not a rivalry. That was a misunderstanding. Duke went 0-9 against UConn under McCallie, with an average losing margin of 22 points. Only two games had final margins below twenty points, with five being 30 points or more.
Thanks Cam and Happy Thanksgiving to you. If I may ask, what is the general mood on the Duke forum about the game on Friday?

sun

Reaction Score
I think that UConn should be most concerned about the 6'6" Duke player named Kennedy Brown.
She has tremendous talent and I don't expect the game to be a blow out.

Reaction Score
I think that UConn should be most concerned about the 6'6" Duke player named Kennedy Brown.
She has tremendous talent and I don't expect the game to be a blow out.

The DUKE WBB stat sheet has Kennedy Brown, 6'6" with 10.8 ppg and 5.2 rebounds per game
but with some extra fouls taken by this lady. Still, if she has a big game it could make the MOV
less than I was anticipating. However, I agree with the other BY bloggers, this is a "W"..
I just can't decide on a reasonable score or MOV.!!

Reaction Score
The DUKE WBB stat sheet has Kennedy Brown, 6'6" with 10.8 ppg and 5.2 rebounds per game
but with some extra fouls taken by this lady. Still, if she has a big game it could make the MOV
less than I was anticipating. However, I agree with the other BY bloggers, this is a "W"..
I just can't decide on a reasonable score or MOV.!!
I think an MOV between 25 and 30. Our defense is pretty good. Will they break 65 pts? Will they hold us to <90 pts?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
In a close game, I'm more interested in who plays the 40th minute than the 1st. Looks like, with Dorka back and CD healthy, Gino has a rotation of 9... If I were to guess, I'd say 8 of them are playing 20+ and Ayanna 10+.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’ve gone on VolNation just to see how their board is. They are absolutely losing their minds that they are 2-4, and many are calling for Harper to be fired now. We shouldn’t take too much pleasure in their demise.
Watch Me Yes GIF by ABC Network

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
From that Duke board: "The rest of the starters on the team have all played extremely well--a far cry from last year, when injuries decimated them but their reserves were not ready to step up."

--This is how people think about a team whose sixth loss was in the National Championship game; our lowest point in recent memory is a dream season for just anybody else...

Reaction Score
This is great stuff from a fanbase looking at things in a constructive and positive way.
It was fun to read. And I would have liked to gone at it in fun with Kaph. IMO that poster is missing the point with Geno.

Would like ot know if that poster watched the men's title game back in 1999 when UCONN beat Duke 77-74. What were the thoughts of having Langdon make the final move vs Ricky Moore rather than get the ball to Brand. Also - what are the thoughts of Duke's past signature (maybe still is) of why Duke "slaps the floor."

sun

Reaction Score

UConn women’s basketball to open Phil Knight Legacy against Duke​

This article is a bit dated. It was written this past summer on July 25, 2022. I'd like to find something a bit more recent. I'll keep looking. If I find something, I'll post here.
The Duke Chronicle's analysis of the upcoming game is 2 days old.

Duke has nine players who are averaging more than five points per game, and UConn only has four outside of Juhász. This could be the key to victory for the Blue Devils, who like to press and speed up teams, which could tire out UConn come the fourth quarter.

“I think our depth has helped us on [the defensive] end of the floor to be able to press full-court and make things harder for people,” said Lawson.

If Duke can take advantage of this depth and play to its strengths Friday, it will have a shot at defeating UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Duke Chronicle's analysis of the upcoming game is 2 days old.

Duke has nine players who are averaging more than five points per game, and UConn only has four outside of Juhász. This could be the key to victory for the Blue Devils, who like to press and speed up teams, which could tire out UConn come the fourth quarter.

“I think our depth has helped us on [the defensive] end of the floor to be able to press full-court and make things harder for people,” said Lawson.

If Duke can take advantage of this depth and play to its strengths Friday, it will have a shot at defeating UConn.

It's a nice article. Thanks for posting it. I mean, it's a bit of a "pep talk" for the students and fans, but it's still refreshing.

One thing I notice is how certain incomplete stats are used by many outlets, not just this one. For example:

"The competition this week will bring an additional challenge for the Blue Devils to continue their stout defense. UConn is averaging 90.7 points per game, good for seventh in the country. If Duke is to face Iowa, it is also scoring 90 points per contest. UConn guard Azzi Fudd is having a historic campaign, averaging 30 points per game, second in the country."​

Without a "Strength of Schedule" factor, these numbers are meaningless. Our 90.7 pts/g is 7th in the country taken out of context, but I suspect factoring in SoS, we'd be first or second. The same for Azzi's 30 pts/g -- take into account SoS and she's probably leading the country. Of course, SoS is a tricky factor to calculate, but even doing it naively, say by using AP rankings at the time of the games, would probably cull the pretenders.

Reaction Score
Just noticed Ore St has a 6’9” center, Yelena Mitrovich, who averages 25 mins 8 pts 9 rebounds and 2.5 blocks.

One other interesting thing to note — she’s Serbian, which could create some tension with Nika.

Reaction Score
Both were born after the war, but I'm sure they both have been told the history as seen from their particular country's perspective. I doubt it will create any issues.

Reaction Score
“That’s way harsh, Tai!”
I wouldn’t argue with a 20 point mov but I don’t think that will be due to them giving up. They clearly are at the beginning of a major rebuild and I’ll be very surprised if they are not regularly ranked two years from now. I’m fairly confident that Kara has the chops to become a very good coach.
Glad to see that I’m not the only one still quoting that line! Lol
1669260579932.gif

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just noticed Ore St has a 6’9” center, Yelena Mitrovich, who averages 25 mins 8 pts 9 rebounds and 2.5 blocks.

One other interesting thing to note — she’s Serbian, which could create some tension with Nika.
The bigger they are, the harder they fall. :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom