Focus on Duke and the Oregon trip | The Boneyard

Focus on Duke and the Oregon trip

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Friday at 6:00 our time...on espn2 or espnu
Duke is 5-0...best win Texas A&M.
Hopefully CD will be on the bench...and our other CD will get some more PT and look more
like Herself.

We are a Nike school and I suspect there will be Nike personnel around and about...with an opportunity to see the players
and maybe to consider NIL offers to some.

If we win and advance to Sunday...we would meet the winner of Iowa and Oregon State...channel to be determined...at 1:00 our time...which means
10:00 local time. Has UConn women's hoops ever played at such an early local time?

Maybe Dorka back for Providence back home on Friday December 2?

A WOW start to the season...keep it going come the Dukies!

Reaction Score
I believe our record against Duke is very good and their 5-0 start is deceiving as they played patsy's. I don't think Iowa or Oregon State has played any team that has our defense and scoring ability. Uconn adds another trophy to it's name. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I think UConn may be better with Aubrey starting and Dorka coming off the bench.
Ah ha. This thought crossed my mind, too. But I don't believe there's just one answer, meaning that there may/will be reason(s) for starting each depending upon the opponent. The important idea is that the 4-guard line-up works so long as Aubrey does her best Gabby imitation and especially if (as often happens) Dorka is nicked up. So, think of the possibility of multiple starting line-ups as another UConn weapon available from here on.
My belief has always been that Geno is the finest coach at managing his players in the game, maybe ever. He'll figure it out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

UConn women’s basketball to open Phil Knight Legacy against Duke​

This article is a bit dated. It was written this past summer on July 25, 2022. I'd like to find something a bit more recent. I'll keep looking. If I find something, I'll post here.

UConn women’s basketball will take on the Duke Blue Devils in the opening game of the Phil Knight Legacy in Portland, Oregon on Friday Nov. 25, the team announced on Monday. Tip-off from the Chiles Center is set for 5:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2 or ESPNU.

Iowa and Oregon State are the other women’s team in the bracket. The championship game will take place on Sunday Nov. 27 at 1 p.m. ET on ABC while the consolation game will begin at 10 a.m. ET in Veterans Memorial Coliseum earlier that same day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From Dukes Twitter page

Duke Women’s Basketball
@DukeWBB

Kara: “We want to challenge ourselves and play really hard road games. Games like this are revelatory. You learn about yourself, you learn about your players, you learn about your team, you learn about yourself as a coach.” 5-0 and always prepping for what’s next.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Ah ha. This thought crossed my mind, too. But I don't believe there's just one answer, meaning that there may/will be reason(s) for starting each depending upon the opponent. The important idea is that the 4-guard line-up works so long as Aubrey does her best Gabby imitation and especially if (as often happens) Dorka is nicked up. So, think of the possibility of multiple starting line-ups as another UConn weapon available from here on.
My belief has always been that Geno is the finest coach at managing his players in the game, maybe ever. He'll figure it out.
What 4 guards? Yesterday started 2 guards, 3 forwards. Gabby was a forward.

Kat

Reaction Score
She played the next game, against Belmont. Got 33 points.

Carnac

Reaction Score
From Dukes Twitter page

Duke Women’s Basketball
@DukeWBB

Kara: “We want to challenge ourselves and play really hard road games. Games like this are revelatory. You learn about yourself, you learn about your players, you learn about your team, you learn about yourself as a coach.” 5-0 and always prepping for what’s next.

I don't follow Tennessee WBB. I wonder how seriously the powers that be at Tenn. considered hiring Lawson (If at all) before hiring Kellie Harper?

Reaction Score
Well, Tennessee just lost to Gonzaga. Are they wishing they'd hired lawson now?
I’ve gone on VolNation just to see how their board is. They are absolutely losing their minds that they are 2-4, and many are calling for Harper to be fired now. We shouldn’t take too much pleasure in their demise. We have had the good fortune to have Geno here for all these years. At some point, he will retire, and we may find ourselves in the same boat. Very hard to replace a legend. Let’s not invite karma to come smack us in the butt someday.

Reaction Score
Friday at 6:00 our time...on espn2 or espnu
Duke is 5-0...best win Texas A&M.
Hopefully CD will be on the bench...and our other CD will get some more PT and look more
like Herself.

We are a Nike school and I suspect there will be Nike personnel around and about...with an opportunity to see the players
and maybe to consider NIL offers to some.

If we win and advance to Sunday...we would meet the winner of Iowa and Oregon State...channel to be determined...at 1:00 our time...which means
10:00 local time. Has UConn women's hoops ever played at such an early local time?

Maybe Dorka back for Providence back home on Friday December 2?

A WOW start to the season...keep it going come the Dukies!
My guess is that UCONN wanted more time to celebrate after the game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’ve gone on VolNation just to see how their board is. They are absolutely losing their minds that they are 2-4, and many are calling for Harper to be fired now. We shouldn’t take too much pleasure in their demise. We have had the good fortune to have Geno here for all these years. At some point, he will retire, and we may find ourselves in the same boat. Very hard to replace a legend. Let’s not invite karma to come smack us in the butt someday.
Newfie, I very much want to disagree with your premise that we should not take pleasure in their fan’s current misery and their team’s demise.

It’s hard to have any sympathy or compassion for a fan base that hates everything UConn, and wants your coach’s head on a stick.

But I can’t because you are correct in that one day, Geno will retire and we could very well find ourselves looking that karma right in the face. That’s the only reason. Payback is a dog ~ The Stylistics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What 4 guards? Yesterday started 2 guards, 3 forwards. Gabby was a forward.
No, Gabby was a guard who was converted by Geno into a forward for 2 reasons: Gabby's draft class was loaded with guards but short of interior players. Williams could practically jump out of the building but was not a renowned shooter, so Geno decided to use her inside. The rest is history.
Aubrey is a guard; so are Azzi, Nika, and Lou (=4 guards). That's why Aubrey reminds some of us of Gabby. Whatever the distinction, it's great to have the option to start 4 shorter players who can shoot and rebound if a big is unavailable or less effective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom