Focus on Duke and the Oregon trip | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Focus on Duke and the Oregon trip

Reaction Score
Newfie, I very much want to disagree with your premise that we should not take pleasure in their fan’s current misery and their team’s demise.

It’s hard to have any sympathy or compassion for a fan base that hates everything UConn, and wants your coach’s head on a stick.

But I can’t because you are correct in that one day, Geno will retire and we could very well find ourselves looking that karma right in the face. That’s the only reason. Payback is a dog ~ The Stylistics.
Well, I have to admit I do derive great pleasure that this is happening. I just think posting it might lead to some bad karma some day. So I quietly enjoy their losses.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
No, Gabby was a guard who was converted by Geno into a forward for 2 reasons: Gabby's draft class was loaded with guards but short of interior players. Williams could practically jump out of the building but was not a renowned shooter, so Geno decided to use her inside. The rest is history.
Aubrey is a guard; so are Azzi, Nika, and Lou (=4 guards). That's why Aubrey reminds some of us of Gabby. Whatever the distinction, it's great to have the option to start 4 shorter players who can shoot and rebound if a big is unavailable or less effective.
Check the UConn roster. Lou, F, Aubrey, F. What happens or what position you play in HS is different than what position you play in the big time. Lou even last year at Fairfield listed on roster as a Forward. Gabby played with KLS, Napeesha, Azura, Breanna, Morgan. And still played forward.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I also saw an ESPN 2 listing. for Friday vs Duke
UConn official site

458DD919-338A-42C1-B5C2-2587D3B555F5.jpeg

Reaction Score
I was just doing some pre-prognostication research: Duke has
seven transfer players on their roster = from Oregon State (2)
Texas, Baylor, Louisville, Georgia, and Wisconsin. Points per
game 75.4 (vs UCONN 90.7), Field Goal % .456 to UCONN
.521, Three point % .212 to UCONN .382, Free throw %
.758 to UCONN .759 Duke's " big" girl, Kennedy Brown, 6'6"
doesn't play much (from Oregon State). The second " big"
is also from Oregon State: Taya Corodale 6'3", a graduate student.
UConn shoots approx. 23 threes a game: 26 for 68. Duke
shoots 13 threes a game: 14 for 66. Azzi and Lou Lopez
should lead the way for UCONN. I have done poorly on my previous
Prognostications, so, maybe research does not help!! Go HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
From Dukes Twitter page

Duke Women’s Basketball
@DukeWBB

Kara: “We want to challenge ourselves and play really hard road games. Games like this are revelatory. You learn about yourself, you learn about your players, you learn about your team, you learn about yourself as a coach.” 5-0 and always prepping for what’s next.

Coach Lawson has that Duke program playing well right now. Another good test for our beloved UConn program.

Reaction Score
I went to the guide on my TV. Very confusing. They had the game listed for a half hour on ESPN 2 sandwiched between the Men’s games. The Iowa game is listed on ESPNU at 8. My guess is that our game will wind up on ESPNU too.

Reaction Score
I believe our record against Duke is very good and their 5-0 start is deceiving as they played patsy's. I don't think Iowa or Oregon State has played any team that has our defense and scoring ability. Uconn adds another trophy to it's name. GO HUSKIES!!!

Well, if we just wipe out everything that happened under our last coach, the series record would be 3-3.

@triaddukefan and I will be here all week, unless we decide that we need to hide after Friday. @CamrnCrz1974 and @Ladeeeeda get in here!

Reaction Score
“That’s way harsh, Tai!”
I wouldn’t argue with a 20 point mov but I don’t think that will be due to them giving up. They clearly are at the beginning of a major rebuild and I’ll be very surprised if they are not regularly ranked two years from now. I’m fairly confident that Kara has the chops to become a very good coach.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was just doing some pre-prognostication research: Duke has
seven transfer players on their roster = from Oregon State (2)
Texas, Baylor, Louisville, Georgia, and Wisconsin. Points per
game 75.4 (vs UCONN 90.7), Field Goal % .456 to UCONN
.521, Three point % .212 to UCONN .382, Free throw %
.758 to UCONN .759 Duke's " big" girl, Kennedy Brown, 6'6"
doesn't play much (from Oregon State). The second " big"
is also from Oregon State: Taya Corodale 6'3", a graduate student.
UConn shoots approx. 23 threes a game: 26 for 68. Duke
shoots 13 threes a game: 14 for 66. Azzi and Lou Lopez
should lead the way for UCONN. I have done poorly on my previous
Prognostications,
so, maybe research does not help!! Go HUSKIES!
Join the club Z. :confused: You have lots of company.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anyone know of UConn's itinerary for their trip to Oregon this week? I believe in the past, a small number of UConn fans were able to buy a travel package and fly on the team charter and stay at the team hotel on road games. Is that program still in effect?

Reaction Score
Definitely expect Duke to lose this one by 20 maybe even 30. Our offense is still very much a work in progress and we lack a pure shooter at the moment. I expect UCONN to exploit that. The rebuild is def in progress, but still not ready to compete with the big dogs. I am curious to see how the team responds. The energy is very different this year in Durham.

Reaction Score
This little tournament really puts a cap on what Geno has wrought so far. Duke, maybe Iowa, these could be good games and excellent challenges. What an awesome schedule we have. Good for us, good for our opponents.

We’ve exposed a couple teams composed of portal pieces that haven’t gelled yet. Iowa won’t be one of those. They are the same team they’ve been for 3 years. I hope they get to play us.

And December brings even more awesome games — ND, Princeton, MD, and finally Creighton and Marquette.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah ha. This thought crossed my mind, too. But I don't believe there's just one answer, meaning that there may/will be reason(s) for starting each depending upon the opponent. The important idea is that the 4-guard line-up works so long as Aubrey does her best Gabby imitation and especially if (as often happens) Dorka is nicked up. So, think of the possibility of multiple starting line-ups as another UConn weapon available from here on.
My belief has always been that Geno is the finest coach at managing his players in the game, maybe ever. He'll figure it out.
We should find out about the long term idea of Aubrey starting over the next two weeks. The key to UConn's season is not how they are playing now, but entering the playoffs. After two games, most indicators are that you want Aubrey to play as many minutes as possible, but I wonder about rebounding against the South Carolina's and Stanford's. That being said, Aubrey has been such a great performer this year so it wouldn't surprise me to see her start excelling in this part of the game as well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, if we just wipe out everything that happened under our last coach, the series record would be 3-3.

@triaddukefan and I will be here all week, unless we decide that we need to hide after Friday. @CamrnCrz1974 and @Ladeeeeda get in here!
Naw, you guys have been great here and may only get some good natured ribbing should the Huskies prevail

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We should find out about the long term idea of Aubrey starting over the next two weeks. The key to UConn's season is not how they are playing now, but entering the playoffs. After two games, most indicators are that you want Aubrey to play as many minutes as possible, but I wonder about rebounding against the South Carolina's and Stanford's. That being said, Aubrey has been such a great performer this year so it wouldn't surprise me to see her start excelling in this part of the game as well.
Freshman Aubrey had a good game against a big Tennessee team a couple years ago. NC State has good size too

8D7453A4-0688-4408-90D2-D525CB5B036B.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom