Floyd to reclassify to 2021 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Floyd to reclassify to 2021

Reaction Score
I wouldn't lose sleep about burning a potential year of eligibility on the back end, the kid will likely redshirt and spend a year in the program acclimating to the next level before his as-scheduled freshman year. If he does end up playing this year, that will be because he is either good enough to deliver on day 1 (I'll believe it when I see it) or because of an emergency injury crisis. Either way, his four years will be used in a way that benefits the program.

Reaction Score
If he does RS, I wouldn't expect that to be decided until they are a bit into the schedule to hedge for injuries. I think if he sees very few minutes in the early cupcake games, that'll indicate that the injury hedge is the strategy.

Reaction Score
CFJ is young but he brings a different level of maturity. He has over-achieved a lot of his life. DH may plan to redshirt him, but CFJ is pretty single-minded. He absolutely believes he can compete and expects to play. Plus, there's no real pressure on him. He will be fascinating to watch this season.

Reaction Score
VERY happy to have Corey joining the team this season. Like some people already said, at that very least this is a good year of practice for him with the team.

I just wouldn’t be so quick to say “we’re too deep there’s going to be no minutes available.” I said the same thing going into last season, and there were LONG periods of time where the team couldn’t score when players were out, injured, having an off night, coaching issues, whatever reason. Point being, the playing time will work itself out, and if CFJ comes to campus and feels like he’s in over his head, he will redshirt. Nothing to really worry about.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This looks like a redshirt situation to me.

There’s just not enough minutes around to justify blowing a year of eligibilty.

It’s a good problem to have, btw.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'll keep my powder dry on a RS year. I think, given the past, oh, 5 years and the re-emergence into the tournament last year that you play the best players for your team, your system and your wins. If he proves to be one of them, skip the RS and use him. He'll either prove it or not in practice, knowing that he will have to be not just as good, but better than a guy with more experience and maturity.

Let's say, for example, he excels defensively at something that we've been weak at recently - preventing dribble penetration by guards, or defending 5-out offenses, for example. With that skill he may be a guy that turns L's into future W's.

Reaction Score
CFJ is young but he brings a different level of maturity. He has over-achieved a lot of his life. DH may plan to redshirt him, but CFJ is pretty single-minded. He absolutely believes he can compete and expects to play. Plus, there's no real pressure on him. He will be fascinating to watch this season.
This. And what @goskis2018 said. I just don’t see any negatives to this situation, whether he takes a RS year or plays sparingly in games. Anyone who has heard CFJr interviewed, can tell that he is an emotionally mature, smart kid. And there’s his build and physicality, which are college basketball-ready.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I recall walking to classes in late January between the library and psych building in these exact conditions.

Stray dogs and all!

Reaction Score
I'm really doubting that Cole is back next year.
it sure seems like you want cole to leave after this season but floyd isn't a PG so i dont see how the two are connected

assuming cole is solid this year, bringing him back and signing an impactful transfer in the spring gives us our best shot at making a final 4 run in '22, you shouldn't be hoping we sign 2 more freshmen/reclasses

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There’s some time and process to figuring the RS thing out. It also locks Corey up in late August vs. the November signing period. Not starting rumors but you certainly recruit a kid up through the signing and actually after that - in Calhoun’s case it was usually the first week of class when in one way or another he would remind a player he would never see that nice MF*er* again - who was all complimentary and smiles in the recruits living room. Rip Hamilton has a great story of that moment for him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
it sure seems like you want cole to leave after this season but floyd isn't a PG so i dont see how the two are connected

assuming cole is solid this year, bringing him back and signing an impactful transfer in the spring gives us our best shot at making a final 4 run in '22. you should not be hoping we sign 2 more freshmen/reclasses

It's out of my control, so I wont worry about it. Cole and Hurley will see how the season goes and make that decision. Gaffney's play will matter as well, along with Diggins. I think Cole coming back hurts our ability to recruit a PG for the 2022-23 class. If that's the decision, fine. I view Floyd the way I view Gaffney now, and Adams before; PG depth, even if on a 3rd string/injury basis. Isn't that the normal role of a CG?

Reaction Score
Clearly DH has known for awhile of Corey's intent to reclass once the academic requirements were fulfilled. As CEO of the Program--did a great job of laying low and letting it happen quietly.You don't encourage a kid to go through the gauntlet(on-line classes) for you unless you're feeling good about his immediate upside.

Having said that.. DH/staff can only see positive benefits to a reclass. Time will tell if its RS or not. Corey has the confidence/maturity in his game to want to be step up and play some ball now. More power to him! Onions.

Going to be some intense scrimmages leading up to the season that will only make these guys better.

Creating a sense of urgency about #5..Good to see.

Reaction Score
He will play only if there are injuries. Remember the adjustment is not just on the court but in the classroom as well. 17 is young. Hurley would be smart to redshirt him this year.
Sure but there were plenty of injuries last season. If you transported the player he is now onto last year's team, he'd have gotten minutes.

Reaction Score
I think Cole coming back hurts our ability to recruit a PG for the 2022-23 class. If that's the decision, fine. I view Floyd the way I view Gaffney now, and Adams before; PG depth, even if on a 3rd string/injury basis. Isn't that the normal role of a CG?
we shouldnt be prioritizing future recruitment over making a final 4 run when the whole point of recruiting good players is to make a final 4 run. regardless, there is no elite PG available in '22 that we have a realistic shot at and recruiting another elite PG in '23 when diggins is a junior makes the most sense anyways.

i havent heard floyd described as a CG that can pass and run an offense like gaffney, he's a big bodied SG/W more similar to adams who also wasn't a CG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley alluded to anyone else coming in for next season needing to redshirt, which I think is best for everyone to get him ready for 2022. But at a minimum we have a capable player ready to step in if injuries happen which is why I always like using the full 13 scholarships
Alluded? He stated it forcefully and directly so no late addition would come in with expectations about playing time.

A full roster? That's fine when you don't have this level of talent.

Here's his quote: "With the team we have returning, I have no more minutes for anybody. It’s going to be a war for roles and minutes with this team. I don’t need anymore guys in here that are looking at me to put them in a game.

Reaction Score
It's out of my control, so I wont worry about it. Cole and Hurley will see how the season goes and make that decision. Gaffney's play will matter as well, along with Diggins. I think Cole coming back hurts our ability to recruit a PG for the 2022-23 class. If that's the decision, fine. I view Floyd the way I view Gaffney now, and Adams before; PG depth, even if on a 3rd string/injury basis. Isn't that the normal role of a CG?
Floyd is a 2/3 combo guard more then a 1/2 combo guard like Gaffney. But not sure how Cole coming back would affect a '23 PG recruit unless I'm missing something. Cole is gone in either scenario by the time any '23 recruit gets to campus

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom