(Floridians take note) After tonight's game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

(Floridians take note) After tonight's game

Reaction Score
I went to the UConn Huskies site (gets my vote for the most ridiculously useless site in the world)
I'll bet you a steak dinner that yours is the only vote.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I miss the food in Connecticut ( the best meatballs in Cape Coral are at Subway) If I never see snow again except for on TV .... I'll live with the bad food ( I'm a pretty good cook). Uconn and Florida, what more could you ask for.
But you got Lobster Lady, Fathoms, Corksoakers, The Omelet Shop, Ford's Garage, Annie's.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Case for CT, 4 seasons (I'm almost ready to retire) hate needing A.C. almost all year, nothing better than a snow storm, food, seacoast, my children all live here.
Case against they tax everything and what the politicians missed will be starting to tax soon, now tolls again.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Case for CT, 4 seasons (I'm almost ready to retire) hate needing A.C. almost all year, nothing better than a snow storm, food, seacoast, my children all live here.
Case against they tax everything and what the politicians missed will be starting to tax soon, now tolls again.

I would prefer 3 seasons, but the rest is spot on.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I’ve been here since early November and have yet to see an alligator despite living between two lakes.

Today was 80 degrees and sunny. I have the window open right now. And guns are everywhere. Stay out of the neighborhoods where crime is a problem, like anywhere else. Florida may get hurricanes but so does Connecticut. What Florida doesn’t get is blizzards, ice storms, and 6 months of grey, damp weather.

Photo I took this morning...

View attachment 41232
I lived in Florida (Key West) for 4 years. Never saw an alligator but I saw several crocodiles. Great year round weather, fishing and diving - just not the place for a yankee like me. I agree with Jimmy Buffett description of much of Florida- "God's waiting room"

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Don't forget all the money the state will rake in on weed tax. It's gonna' solve all the state's budget problems. :rolleyes:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I could never live in Florida. Too hot, humid, alligators, hurricanes, guns, trailer parks, mobile meth labs, etc. There is Disney, but still.

Been here for almost three years now. We live in central Florida in Kissimmee (Poinciana), which is not far from Nan in Orlando. 55+ community. Best move we made for retirement! There are aspects of CT we miss, but on the whole we're glad we got out. And we have a lot of neighbors who use to live in CT.

So we have gators, big deal. We also have water moccasins which are a lot more dangerous that the gators. Gators are big and scary but keep your distance and no problem. They are magnificent creatures from a bygone era.

You get blizzards, we get hurricanes. You get high taxes on everything and we don't. Works for me.

Reaction Score
I’ve been here since early November and have yet to see an alligator despite living between two lakes.

Today was 80 degrees and sunny. I have the window open right now. And guns are everywhere. Stay out of the neighborhoods where crime is a problem, like anywhere else. Florida may get hurricanes but so does Connecticut. What Florida doesn’t get is blizzards, ice storms, and 6 months of grey, damp weather.

View attachment 41232
Nan, I wish you happy days in your new home - the view looks beautiful!

I retired last year, and we are still here in beautiful Middletown - we live on the edge of the Wesleyan campus and its like living in a park.

To all of us debating the finer points of where we are - count your blessings and enjoy your grass, its greener than somebody else's!

Reaction Score
Watch ESPN can be pretty weird in the way they list things. Note below all eight games on Sunday are listed, but two games are listed twice. I had regular season games where UConn games weren't listed, but showed in the boxes on the side for ongoing games. Bottom line all games should be available on watch ESPN and if you watch them there I cannot understand why they would switch because you can just switch to another game on your own. On the other hand I'm sure it's possible. I saw the whole game on watch ESPN here in Mass.
NCAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
12:00 PM
#8 Michigan vs. #1 Louisville (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn2
2:00 PM
#5 Florida State vs. #4 South Carolina (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn3
#5 Marquette vs. #4 Texas A&M (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn2
#5 Marquette vs. #4 Texas A&M (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn3
#7 Missouri vs. #2 Iowa (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn3
#7 Missouri vs. #2 Iowa (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn2
Furman vs. Virginia Tech (Women's NIT)
accextra
NCAA Women's Basketball Championship Presented by Capital One (Second Round)
espn2
3:00 PM
UAB vs. Arkansas (Women's NIT)
secplus
7:00 PM
#10 Buffalo vs. #2 Connecticut (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn1
7:00 PM
#5 Arizona State vs. #4 Miami (FL) (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn2
9:00 PM
#10 Indiana vs. #2 Oregon (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn2
9:00 PM
#9 Clemson vs. #1 Mississippi State (Second Round) (NCAA Women's Basketball Championship)
espn1
Ok, then riddle,me this:If it was on ESPN3, why did it not show up in the listings on WatchESPN,where other ESPN 3 games were? We finally found it on the ESPN App, so now we know. But this is not intuitive at all.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You forgot snakes, geckos, and poisonous spiders
Not if you live in the city or stay out of areas that are posted as natural wildlife areas.

I don’t know if they’re geckos, but tree lizards are everywhere. They’re harmless little lizards that eat bugs. I had one in the house the other day, caught him, and released him outside. In Connecticut, I did the same with field mice. No big deal.

As for spiders, black widows and brown recluse spiders are in Connecticut, too. I know someone who was bitten by a brown recluse and it was bad. There’s dangerous wildlife everywhere.

A7DC9EB9-F64B-456E-A254-D5ABD069F44C.jpeg

Reaction Score
Seriously! What would the world look and feel like if everyone only drove red cars, wore blue clothes, and lived in white houses? :eek:

Speaking of wearing "blue clothes". Why was a UConn fan wearing green with matching crochet hat? My first thought was she was at the wrong venue.

the Q

Reaction Score
I lived in Florida (Key West) for 4 years. Never saw an alligator but I saw several crocodiles. Great year round weather, fishing and diving - just not the place for a yankee like me. I agree with Jimmy Buffett description of much of Florida- "God's waiting room"

When I found out that both have learned how to climb chain link fences...yeah that kinda ended that dream lol

Reaction Score
15 years in eastern central Florida, alligators are no problem, you can see them and they are opportunistic feeders, not predators. What bothers me are the fire ants, nasty little guys. The little lizards are Brown Anoles, Gecko's live in south Florida. I visit CT if I miss it, and after seeing all the abandoned buildings and having red lights every quarter mile (how about a red light tax?) and mostly gray skies, I then miss Florida.
Temperatures will be in the 70's here all next week, and A/C is really not needed November to March and actually some heat is necessary.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
You guys can go back and forth forever on the relative merits of Florida vs. Connecticut ... what I want to know is how Nan's husband gets her to take the garbage out.

the Q

Reaction Score
You guys can go back and forth forever on the relative merits of Florida vs. Connecticut ... what I want to know is how Nan's husband gets her to take the garbage out.

In my neighborhood where I grew up quite a few wives mowed the lawn....

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
15 years in eastern central Florida, alligators are no problem, you can see them and they are opportunistic feeders, not predators. What bothers me are the fire ants, nasty little guys. The little lizards are Brown Anoles, Gecko's live in south Florida. I visit CT if I miss it, and after seeing all the abandoned buildings and having red lights every quarter mile (how about a red light tax?) and mostly gray skies, I then miss Florida.
Temperatures will be in the 70's here all next week, and A/C is really not needed November to March and actually some heat is necessary.

I agree. Got bit by a few fire ants as did my wife when doing a little yard work when we first moved in. We learned real quick how to recognize their nests. They are nasty little buggers! The community's landscape company monitors fire ants and treats them when you call.

Right now we are in the mid 60's here in Poinciana. Projected temps to reach mid 70's. I have the sliders open and the fresh air is invigorating. A/C has been of since mid October and probably won't go back on until late April.

Reaction Score
Last May, I was in the tornado that hit Hamden and was trapped on Route 10 for 4 hours. It was one of 7 tornadoes that hit the state in 2018.

But, really, it’s the fact that the roses were blooming in our neighborhood on New Years Eve and that I don’t need to wear 5 layers of clothes to take out the trash that made us decide to move South permanently. My husband is a boater and fisherman who can use his boat maybe 4 months in Connecticut. In Florida it’s year round.

There’s also no state income tax here :cool:
Net net, would trade the benefits of New England, any state, for the relative lack of snow and mud seasons. That being said, much of Florida is bankrupt and has issues keeping up with services and infrastructure. Many friends moving to Carolinas. Wish you the best there.

Reaction Score
I finally get it.(Okay, I'm not the brightest bulb in the circuit, but I'm teachable). The same idiots who designed the UConn Huskies website are running WatchESPN.

Reaction Score

View attachment 41232

You won't notice the alligators until one snatches, runs off, and eats your poodle. Don't run after them because, believe it or not, they're way faster than you. If you do catch one, flip it on its back and rub its tummy. This immobilizes the buggers and renders them almost friendly . . . (Try it on a spouse or anyone who will let you.)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom