Florida transfer Noah Locke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Florida transfer Noah Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most of the board: we absolutely need a guy who can shoot 3’s, most important thing

The universe: here’s one

Some of the Board: no, not him

Don’t listen to them, Noah!
Ok, I will bite, even though I think Noah would be a nice complimentary piece. But thats just it. He helps fill a void, but maybe not even our most pressing void. We need a guy or 2 who can generate his own shot. Even with Noah, a good defensive team can still hold this team below 60 points. Noah helps and adds depth, but he is far from a game changer. We are losing a game changrer in Bouk. While I realize you just dont replace a lottery pick, we do need someone who can break a defense down individually. That woud only help guys like Noah and Cole.

Reaction Score
Sophomore year during conference play in the SEC Locke was #1 in Offensive Rating #2 in Effective FG #6 in Turnover Rate #2 in 3 point FG% (47.6%). That shows his potential. He's not spectacular on D but solid and literally never fouls which was an issue for UConn last year. Think of him/Hawkins/Diggins taking Bouk/Polley/BAs collectives minutes from last year. Everyone can be happy.

Reaction Score
Hearing the positive signs in this thread have warmed me up to seeing how the roster can look with Locke on board.

Having a good-sized (6'3 203) two-guard that stretches the defense will be huge to allow Cole/Martin/Jackson/Hawkins/Gaffney to attack the basket.

For example, a PG, Locke, Hawkins, Martin, Sanogo lineup next year looks like an awesome offensive mix of facilitating, shooting, athleticism, rebounding and post-play. Just one example as the permutations of this year and next year's roster seem endless to me. I just love the versatility of this roster.

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Sanogo, Jackson, and Martin are 3 of the biggest parts of the team next year.

Those 3 all need either open driving lanes or space in the paint to operate.

We need more than Cole (and maybe Polley) to pull defenders to the perimeter to open things up for those 3. Locke is that type of player. I don’t think he’d come in here and be a superstar, but he plays the position with the most open minutes and fills our most glaring need. I think we need more than one shooter, but he’d be a good start.

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Sanogo, Jackson, and Martin are 3 of the biggest parts of the team next year.

Those 3 all need either open driving lanes or space in the paint to operate.

We need more than Cole (and maybe Polley) to pull defenders to the perimeter to open things up for those 3. Locke is that type of player. I don’t think he’d come in here and be a superstar, but he plays the position with the most open minutes and fills our most glaring need. I think we need more than one shooter, but he’d be a good start.

Right now, with no Polley, if Cole is playing PG and Hawkins isn't on the floor... we're looking at literally 0 shooters on the floor. Sanogo's/Jackson's/Rese's defenders might as well camp in the charge circle. Literally. We need shooters.

Reaction Score
Ok, I will bite, even though I think Noah would be a nice complimentary piece. But thats just it. He helps fill a void, but maybe not even our most pressing void. We need a guy or 2 who can generate his own shot. Even with Noah, a good defensive team can still hold this team below 60 points. Noah helps and adds depth, but he is far from a game changer. We are losing a game changrer in Bouk. While I realize you just dont replace a lottery pick, we do need someone who can break a defense down individually. That woud only help guys like Noah and Cole.
You need guys that can stress the defense and guys that can take advantage of that stress.

The offense is absolutely going to run through Adama next year. Dump ins to him will cause doubles and help. That's the stress we will use then to kick out to Cole and Locke for open 3's and attacking closeouts and create openings for Martin to attack the glass.

I'm also hopeful that Jackson will grow his game and be able to take his guy off the dribble. This year he didn't seem to be able to convert on his physical advantages. A lot of obvious, unnecessary pushoffs, etc. Hopefully his mental game and footwork and dribbling skill all catch up this offseason to the speed of the college game and his physical ceiling. He's going to stress the defense with his vision and passing as is, but it's that much more dangerous when he's by the first defender.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You need guys that can stress the defense and guys that can take advantage of that stress.

The offense is absolutely going to run through Adama next year. Dump ins to him will cause doubles and help. That's the stress we will use then to kick out to Cole and Locke for open 3's and attacking closeouts and create openings for Martin to attack the glass.

I'm also hopeful that Jackson will grow his game and be able to take his guy off the dribble. This year he didn't seem to be able to convert on his physical advantages. A lot of obvious, unnecessary pushoffs, etc. Hopefully his mental game and footwork and dribbling skill all catch up this offseason to the speed of the college game and his physical ceiling. He's going to stress the defense with his vision and passing as is, but it's that much more dangerous when he's by the first defender.
Do not discount Hawnkins - he is a threat from 3 and he can create his offense and for others by taking it to the hoop and scoring or dishing.

Reaction Score
Yea he’s also following Tulsa, Wisconsin, etc. I think he’s just followed a bunch of programs in the past
Shoot I thought it was recent!! I didn’t scroll down far enough to see all these other schools. I’m still gonna hold onto it.

Reaction Score
I don't see the coaching staff promising Locke 30+ minutes a game next year. I'm glad we're pursuing him but I think he'll probably end up somewhere that is willing and able to make that guarantee. I would really hate to lose Diggins or Hawkins for 1 year of Locke.

Reaction Score
Things get interesting if you consider 6th man Tyrese Martin.

Idk how he'd feel about that role but I think he's a great candidate for 6th-man. Basically just plug him in wherever our defense is weak at the 2-4. Assuming his shooting %s are average next year instead of abysmal the last half of the season, it could make a lot of sense.

I think Rese probably deserves to start more than Jackson. But I think Andre's skillset leading an offense lends itself to starting and letting Cole move off ball...

Gonna be some TOUGH practices this summer and fall no matter which transfers we bring in. All these guys know they're fighting for PT. Only guy who doesn't have a solid player behind him right now is Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Idk how he'd feel about that role but I think he's a great candidate for 6th-man. Basically just plug him in wherever our defense is weak at the 2-4. Assuming his shooting %s are average next year instead of abysmal the last half of the season, it could make a lot of sense.

I think Rese probably deserves to start more than Jackson. But I think Andre's skillset leading an offense lends itself to starting and letting Cole move off ball...

Gonna be some TOUGH practices this summer and fall no matter which transfers we bring in. All these guys know they're fighting for PT. Only guy who doesn't have a solid player behind him right now is Sanogo.

Oh, he’d HATE the idea. Rese is a competitor. That’s how the coaches earn their money, though, convincing him and showing him how it’s mutually beneficial. There’s buy-in, in general, from the roster, so they’re starting from a good spot.

That’s how you get roster flexibility more than messing around with your incoming recruits, IMO. Any addition at guard is going to have to be explained and clarified to Diggins and Hawkins, as well as the current roster guys.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One consequence of laying an egg in the tournament is that no one's job is safe. Nor should it be. Except for Whaley, I really want him back.

Reaction Score
I assume Akok, if he’s healthy.
Keep forgetting about him lol. A nice ace in the hole for making our offense more dynamic. I liked the way his shot looked last year. He should be able to shoot it this year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This article could have used another run (or maybe a first run?) by an editor.
Yep. It had a definite ESL feel, akin to clickbait-y search engine results on an inquiry about an unconfirmed next-iteration tech product that's anticipated but not yet released, and where 'specs' are much more speculation than specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom