OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 51 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson are getting out of The ACC come Hell or high water. Why not save millions of dollars in legal fees for all parties, by getting right to negotiating the buyout for both schools? Maybe The ACC can negotiate 200 million+ from each school? 400 million dollars divided among the legacy members is a hefty chunk of change.

Lots of people believe that letting FSU/Clemson out of The ACC will open the flood gates for other defections. Honestly, I'm not so sure. First and foremost, ESPN can keep the conference financially whole by continuing its current deal with new members. People can claim that a bunch of ACC Schools will head to The Big 12, B1G, SEC etc, but the media rights holders, including ESPN, will determine that. They have to pay for any of these additions and keep the current membership whole. How much is VPI, GT, NCSU and so on actually worth?

Reaction Score
Maybe..this is all about forcing a negotiation of costs to leave.

At first...the ACC position was that the teams were locked, iron clad, until 2036. Why negotiate anything.

That position may be loosening quite a bit with revelations coming out as a result of FSU/Clemson digging into it.

Reaction Score
How much is VPI, GT, NCSU and so on actually worth?

I would take it even one step further. What are any of these "properties" worth given the uncertainty aound player compensation? That expense line moving into the future is an unknown. You are dealing with emotional supporters (boosters, etc.) who will fund or not based on their whim. I think for many (probably the majority) of BCS programs this model is unstastainable. I think the same is going to be true for hoops as well. The media companies will value programs based on their forecasted viewership, but how do those programs sustain themselves when they don't know what their labor costs will be in order to be competitive?

Is it all presently a house of cards......?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom