OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 50 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
All of the schools have a secured home. It's called the ACC. I don't know where the schools that want out think they are going to go. Through all of the madness in recent years the SEC has shown zero interest in taking on more mouths to feed, and the B1G is still trying to absorb the 37 teams they took on after the Pac12 imploded.

Reaction Score
Do not underestimate the business aspect of sports....would the Media/ Big Ten turn down a major brands..maybe at the expense of someday dropping Northwestern ?

Reaction Score
An update on FSU v ACC: An appellate court has rejected the conference's attempt to pause Florida State's lawsuit against the league. The larger appeal is still pending, but things can keep on keepin' on in the meantime.
https://post original url/ZqD1wE8kQz

Reaction Score
That’s a claim, not a fact that has come out in court

It is a fact....it is in both the Clemson and FSU filings and is now part of the court documents....

The GOR (as I have posted copies of several times) states that a Member only assigns to the Conference the rights necessary for the conference to meet the obligations

The biggest revelation to come out of Florida State’s lawsuit was the bombshell that the ACC’s television deal with ESPN is not guaranteed through 2036. It is only guaranteed through 2027, and ESPN has a unilateral option to extend the deal through 2025.

The grant of rights 100% ties the entire document to ESPN and the existing ESPN contract....it literally says the grant of rights exists as those rights, "necessary for the conference to perform the contractual obligations of the Conference expressly set forth in the ESPN agreement".

There is nothing in it that says the grant of rights continues or extends in any way if the ESPN contract ceases. Or if a Member is not needed in order to meet the ESPN contract requirements.

I know this makes your head spin like an electric meter in July...but just get some popcorn and watch the drama.

Reaction Score
That’s a claim, not a fact that has come out in court
Exactly. Because if it was a fact, Florida St. and Clemson would already have announced their exits, and they would save tens of millions of dollars on attorney fees. Posting the ambiguous wording in that clause does not make it any more true.

Reaction Score
FSU has unofficially announced that they are exiting. It I s now just about the cost.and the determination of the courts. FSU in their filing, asked the court, that if a successful outcome, that their notice be effective August 2023.

Reaction Score
FSU has unofficially announced that they are exiting. It I s now just about the cost.and the determination of the courts. FSU in their filing, asked the court, that if a successful outcome, that their notice be effective August 2023.
You can ask for anything

Reaction Score
Zissou...true...if snarky as usual.

It is what it is....Discovery will shortly be underway.

But, you know...I don't think it will get too far.

The ACC is rattled...fight it out and stuff comes to light...about misleading and misrepreresenting, about inside dealing with Raycom, about possible fraud...Clemson is in the wings looking for damages.

ESPN can't be thrilled about the curtains being drawn back about the fact that there is no contract in two years. By the fact that it was discovered that the contract had to be renewed by 2021 to go to 2036 and it was not...

The ACC is damned if they do, damned if they don't....open the doors up and others may leave or don't and let the birds come home to roost.

Reaction Score
I don’t think academics have a blessed thing to do with it anymore. Granted, it’s ironic, given that we’re talking about COLLEGE athletics. Yet, here we are….
I agree. I just think that it is why commentators pick them as “ logical” B10 targets. Virginia football is marginal at best. UNC is variable but less than B 10 caliber at its best. I doubt either one is worth $60 million

Reaction Score
I agree. I just think that it is why commentators pick them as “ logical” B10 targets. Virginia football is marginal at best. UNC is variable but less than B 10 caliber at its best. I doubt either one is worth $60 million
If Rutgers is worth 60m so is UNC and UVa

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
If Rutgers is worth 60m so is UNC and UVa
That unpacks somewhat differently, I think.

B10 thought they were buying into the NY Metro tv market. I don't think they were valuing Rutgers as a "product". Just NY as a market. And it was that that they value(d?) at $60m.

The valuation would be different regarding UNC, both as a product valuation and market valuation, I think. In sum, UNC would arguably value higher than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
However Virginia has won an NC in basketball in 2019 and an NC in baseball in 2015...
LOL. Yeah. And we’re the first #1 to lose to a 16 in 2018. Nobody is adding a school because they won the baseball title in 2015

Reaction Score
LOL. Yeah. And we’re the first #1 to lose to a 16 in 2018. Nobody is adding a school because they won the baseball title in 2015
Maybe not. And, so no one is adding a school for winning a basketball, baseball, or equestrian NC.

Reaction Score
Oregon has pretty good sports…. But has not won a basketball, football, or baseball national championship in modern times. They did win a NC in 1939.

Reaction Score
Athletic performance is only important to the extent it gains or retains perceived market value. Athletic performance in and of itself does not drive conference realignment.

Reaction Score
No. The old equation was gaining carriage…no matter the quality of athletics. A’ la Rutgers.

Now…viewership is king. And viewership is highly correlated with athletic performance

Reaction Score
No. The old equation was gaining carriage…no matter the quality of athletics. A’ la Rutgers.

Now…viewership is king. And viewership is highly correlated with athletic performance

Well, you just repeated what I posted in a different manner. Whatever works for ya….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom