OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 28 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
With payments to players likely to come in the next few years, FSU will lobby the top B1G teams to go with unequal revenue sharing. It’s a principle thing to them.

Sorry, adding FSU to the B1G is not going to make any recruiting difference to any team in the B1G. Every school already recruits Florida. Adding FSU is not going to incentivize Florida recruits to choose the B1G over the SEC. It might actually hurt FSU’s recruiting with so many games in cold weather cities a very long way from Tallahassee.
You seem very biased against FSU. Many valuations have put FSU in the top 5-10 brands in college football. I'm sure they have already been provided a valuation by a third party evaluator that informs FSU of said numbers. Many respected reporters believe they already have been talking with the B1G for several years and likely have been pre-approved for inclusion.

Yes, everyone recruits FL already, but when a conference has a school in Florida (or any state) it helps with landing recruits there. That's a pretty basic concept.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Screenshot 2024-02-27 1945.jpg

Reaction Score
The ACC knows that if it loses more than FSU...it is over for the conference. Others will follow.

So they will fight all out in a survival mode. For, FSU, there is nothing to lose...they lose and they would just be stuck in the ACC...their present situation.

The ACC may at some point, cut their losses by negotiating to let FSU go rather than risk a court decision on the GOR.

This is fairly interesting for legal beagles...the protected party in the GOR (ESPN) is not a signatory to that agreement...and the controlling ACC-ESPN Agreement has no schools as a signatory and were kept behind lock and key by the conference/ESPN.

I shudder to think about the officiating next season. "You bad boy..swat !"

Reaction Score
Well, at least he didn't inject personal opinion or hyperbole in to that "analysis". :)

Go back and read his posts about their being NO WAY a PAC-12 school would leave for the Big 12, and then you will know what to think about his posts. He makes pretty charts, but that's about all I trust him to do.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Interesting opinion from a lawyer on the Virginia board. Says the ACC enforcement of their GOR might be difficult. Not sure what affiliation the person has so there might be some bias if the are either FSU or wanting to leave the ACC.

Reaction Score
Interesting opinion from a lawyer on the Virginia board. Says the ACC enforcement of their GOR might be difficult. Not sure what affiliation the person has so there might be some bias if the are either FSU or wanting to leave the ACC.

Bias by Virginia? Never…

If I was the B1G, I’d take UNC and Virginia and call it a day. I guess you can also go after Georgia Tech and a school in Florida. What else would they need besides NYC/Boston?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Go back and read his posts about their being NO WAY a PAC-12 school would leave for the Big 12, and then you will know what to think about his posts. He makes pretty charts, but that's about all I trust him to do.

He actually seems more anti-Big 12 than anything else.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bias by Virginia? Never…

If I was the B1G, I’d take UNC and Virginia and call it a day. I guess you can also go after Georgia Tech and a school in Florida. What else would they need besides NYC/Boston?

It really would isolate any other conference from the mid-Atlantic and northeast and further isolate BC and cuse.

B1G would have North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I’m out of the loop. If FSU bails, are Stamford and Cal looking to back out?

Reaction Score
I’m out of the loop. If FSU bails, are Stamford and Cal looking to back out?

They have no where to go except the MWC.

FSU isn't keeping Cal and Stanford in the ACC, ND is

Reaction Score
ND is under contract to join the ACC if they decide to join a conference. They have their own tv deal, a seat on the CFP committee and a home for all of their teams in the ACC. There is no incentive for them to give any of that up. If the major brands leave the ACC, ND could join then, probably keep their own TV deal and have an easy road to the CFP every year.

Reaction Score
ND is under contract to join the ACC if they decide to join a conference. They have their own tv deal, a seat on the CFP committee and a home for all of their teams in the ACC. There is no incentive for them to give any of that up. If the major brands leave the ACC, ND could join then, probably keep their own TV deal and have an easy road to the CFP every year.

Notre Dame does not have a contact to join the ACC.

They can go wherever they want to.

Their TV contract is worth about 20 million a year

They get about 10 million a year from the ACC

In the next seven to ten years the B1G universities can expect a payout of anywhere between 80 to 100 million per school.

Tell me why Notre Dame's TV contact or independence matters?

That exclusive arrangement has lost its allure.

Besides, some of the schools that ND usually schedules such as USC are now in the B1G.

Trust me, once FSU leaves for wherever, ND is not going to miss out on a big payday or having a seat at the CFP table.

Reaction Score
Plenty of references to Notre Dame's contractual obligations to join the ACC if they join any conference before 2036...

It all goes back to the ACC deal that Notre Dame has. The deal states that Notre Dame competes in the ACC for most of their sports, like basketball and baseball, while football gets to remain independent. The caveat is that they have to play five ACC teams annually in football. This deal goes through 2036, and during that time period, the only conference Notre Dame can join is the ACC.

First, I start with the suspicion that Jack Swarbrick might not mind the Fighting Irish entering the ACC as full members. He started them on this path as members for the Olympic sports, with five of the twelve football games scheduled by the ACC. He included in that deal (or agreed to include) that Notre Dame would have to join the ACC if it entered a conference before 2036, seemingly tilting the playing field in the direction of the ACC.

Almost everything from that story can still apply to today, changing world and all. If Notre Dame were to join a conference in football before 2036 — a deal concurrent with the league’s grant of rights — it would be contractually obligated to join the ACC. But Notre Dame has long made the calculation that the financial gap between independence and conference membership is not significant enough to sacrifice the prestige, freedom and ownership that comes with being able to call its own shot. (Swarbrick told the South Bend Tribune last week that “we were as challenged financially as any school in the country” because of COVID-19, but it’s hard to see that lone year dictating the football program’s future identity.)

Should Notre Dame decide to join a conference full-time before 2036, it would be required to join the ACC, with which it has a contract that currently calls for the Irish to play five league games per season.

Reaction Score
Plenty of references to Notre Dame's contractual obligations to join the ACC if they join any conference before 2036...

It all goes back to the ACC deal that Notre Dame has. The deal states that Notre Dame competes in the ACC for most of their sports, like basketball and baseball, while football gets to remain independent. The caveat is that they have to play five ACC teams annually in football. This deal goes through 2036, and during that time period, the only conference Notre Dame can join is the ACC.

First, I start with the suspicion that Jack Swarbrick might not mind the Fighting Irish entering the ACC as full members. He started them on this path as members for the Olympic sports, with five of the twelve football games scheduled by the ACC. He included in that deal (or agreed to include) that Notre Dame would have to join the ACC if it entered a conference before 2036, seemingly tilting the playing field in the direction of the ACC.

Almost everything from that story can still apply to today, changing world and all. If Notre Dame were to join a conference in football before 2036 — a deal concurrent with the league’s grant of rights — it would be contractually obligated to join the ACC. But Notre Dame has long made the calculation that the financial gap between independence and conference membership is not significant enough to sacrifice the prestige, freedom and ownership that comes with being able to call its own shot. (Swarbrick told the South Bend Tribune last week that “we were as challenged financially as any school in the country” because of COVID-19, but it’s hard to see that lone year dictating the football program’s future identity.)

Should Notre Dame decide to join a conference full-time before 2036, it would be required to join the ACC, with which it has a contract that currently calls for the Irish to play five league games per season.

The language say should Notre Dame be required to join. In other words should there be a mandate for them to join a conference.

Not should Notre Dame want to join

All that means is if independence status went away Notre Dame must join the ACC

Notre Dame can go anywhere

Does anyone really think that earning $50 million less annually is not going to affect Notre Dame?

They will be in the B1G soon

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The language say should Notre Dame be required to join. In other words should there be a mandate for them to join a conference.

Not should Notre Dame want to join

All that means is if independence status went away Notre Dame must join the ACC

Notre Dame can go anywhere

Does anyone really think that earning $50 million less annually is not going to affect Notre Dame?

They will be in the B1G soon

Looks like they are locked to the GOR

Reaction Score
If/when Notre Dame wants to leave the ACC they will have no problem doing so monetarily, legal-wise, or psychologically). Period.

Reaction Score
Nothing would make FSU happier than Notre Dame declaring to break their contract with the ACC to join the B1G....

That would be helpful in FSU's wrangle to untangle.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1 - There is no mandate. ND never would have agreed to that.

2 - ND realizes that eventually they will have no choice but to join a conference for football. They will continue to avoid the question as long as possible and will attempt to remain independent for football until their agreement with the ACC expires, making them a free agent that can go out to bid when the time comes.

3 - I find it very humorous that someone who has been preaching for quite some time that one of the ACC's full member schools should not be required to honor a contract that they freely signed is now chiming in on the contractual obligations ND signed into.

Bottom line, shy of some unimaginable shake-up, ND will not join a conference for football until after their current agreement with the ACC expires.

I personally believe it's bullspit that others have always been willing to accommodate ND while ND takes advantage of them but as long as conferences (initially the BE, now the ACC) are willing, ND will continue to take advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom