OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 67 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
They have gotten their butts kicked both in court and by rejection by the P2, and are looking for a face-saving way out of this.
This is correct. FSU filed the suite hoping for a P2 home. They aren't trying to stay in the ACC with money on the UCF level, they wanted to be in a position to compete with UF for resources and revenues. "Extracting" added benefits from the ACC is a face saving gesture for the fans so they can claim a win. Clemson was looking for any way to stay tied to FSU as they're best hope for an eventual P2 move is to be FSU's +1

Reaction Score
I'm confused. If FSU, to say nothing of Clemson, either can't get out of the ACC or don't have a home in the BiG or SEC, why would the other ACC members agree to give them higher revenue shares?

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
They're AAU and they cured polio.
Well isn't that special. We have a dairy bar that's fed thousands and our mascot has a fluffy coat, does that get us any special consideration?:D

I'm confused. If FSU, to say nothing of Clemson, either can't get out of the ACC or don't have a home in the BiG or SEC, why would the other ACC members agree to give them higher revenue shares?
Desperation? If FSU and Clemson are major drivers of football revenue for the ACC, and if ESPN hasn't really guaranteed the TV money beyond 2027, then maybe the lower schools give up some money to the two crybabies in the hope that they are pacified and don't try to bolt earlier.

Reaction Score
If basketball mattered. UConn would be in the Big 12 already, or even the B1G. But it doesn't. I don't see the ACC expanding if FSU and Clemson remain. Sadly, UConn football remains abysmal. Ranked 126 at this time.
At this point I'm starting to think rankings don't matter that much because everyone bounces. The winner of the ACC gets to go to the CFP. If UConn gives that program a win every other year, so be it. They all need wins. Duke is ranked 70. No one is going to argue that Duke is 56 spots higher than UConn right now. We'll see how good UConn can be by the end of the year.

70 Duke
71 FSU
83 Stanford
84 Virginia
89 Wake

Reaction Score
Pittsburgh?!?! We're ranked higher than them. They do have us beat when it comes to fugly uniforms.
LOL. there are also a couple of d3 schools there. Emory, John’s Hopkins. Someone ought to ask Emory, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Berkeley and Michigan how they see UNC. My guess is those guys would think the Tarheels are being a bit presumptuous.

Reaction Score
LOL. there are also a couple of d3 schools there. Emory, John’s Hopkins. Someone ought to ask Emory, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Berkeley and Michigan how they see UNC. My guess is those guys would think the Tarheels are being a bit presumptuous.
large state university with high quality research with a ton of resources. Location within the "research triangle" which has a lot of influence. Maybe Berkeley and Michigan can turn their nose up but its closer than you think.

Reaction Score
Peer institutions aren't just institutions you see as equals to yourself. They are also institutions that you inspire to be more like.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Clemson and FSU getting thumped was a good thing. The Big 12 has no future options for expansion besides UConn, and the ACC has a legitimate threat of another conference to eventually grab UConn. I don't think the ACC will ever come for us, but this at least shuffles the deck a little.

Reaction Score
large state university with high quality research with a ton of resources. Location within the "research triangle" which has a lot of influence. Maybe Berkeley and Michigan can turn their nose up but its closer than you think.
That would also describe NC State, but hey…I’m not knocking Carolina but that’s like BC saying its peer institutions are Harvard, Yale, Georgetown and Chicago.

Reaction Score
At this point I'm starting to think rankings don't matter that much because everyone bounces. The winner of the ACC gets to go to the CFP. If UConn gives that program a win every other year, so be it. They all need wins. Duke is ranked 70. No one is going to argue that Duke is 56 spots higher than UConn right now. We'll see how good UConn can be by the end of the year.

70 Duke
71 FSU
83 Stanford
84 Virginia
89 Wake
The issue is they are already in and won't be thrown out. "We" are on the outside looking in and the perception of the football program is poor, at best. I believe this is a crucial season. Our AAC peers seemed to have improved. UConn has not. Memphis and Tulane especially. The one and only thing that has kept UConn out is football.

Reaction Score
The issue is they are already in and won't be thrown out. "We" are on the outside looking in and the perception of the football program is poor, at best. I believe this is a crucial season. Our AAC peers seemed to have improved. UConn has not. Memphis and Tulane especially. The one and only thing that has kept UConn out is football.
Every time i read on here how our AAC peers have improved i think of the coaches they hired and the money they paid their coaches. It led to success on the field. We took the opposite approach and the results speak for themselves. Feels like so much crucial time was wasted during RE 2.0.

Reaction Score
To me the critical fork in the road was well before that…. Edsall resigned a week after Addazio takes the Temple job. The young version of him that built something in Philly would’ve done a great job at UConn and his style would’ve worked well (I think) with the guys Edsall 1.0 left behind. Him instead of Pasqualoni keeps things rolling and so much (including realignment) likely turns out different if UConn follows the Fiesta Bowl with a continued run of bowl appearances rather than 5-7s

Reaction Score
To me the critical fork in the road was well before that…. Edsall resigned a week after Addazio takes the Temple job. The young version of him that built something in Philly would’ve done a great job at UConn and his style would’ve worked well (I think) with the guys Edsall 1.0 left behind. Him instead of Pasqualoni keeps things rolling and so much (including realignment) likely turns out different if UConn follows the Fiesta Bowl with a continued run of bowl appearances rather than 5-7s

P inherited one of the best defenses in the country and still couldn't win. His flameout was monumental and I really wonder if he simply wanted a paycheck close to home.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong, but at a time when schools were really ramping up we looked like we weren't even trying to tread water. The real shame was letting him stay on as long as they did.

Reaction Score
This is something else I’ve said for a while. UConn basically quit trying once the Big East broke up. Then when we started again we focused on basketball but not just that. We basically de-emphasized football. Which essentially made us unacceptable to any P4. SMU, Cincinnati, Houston UCF all went all in on good football. Houston has demonstrated that you could also have good basketball in the AAC, as did Cincy until Cronin left, despite the comments to the contrary from the NEWBE fanboys. Had we taken that route we would be in a P4 league, either the B12 or the ACC, today.

Reaction Score
Edsall II was a terrible hire.....and I was a big Edsall I fan. On his second go I don't think he was at all committed and I sometimes wonder if he was doing it partly to give his son a foothold in coaching. The decision to hire P and then Edsall II were simply awful decisions. No different than any other business.....hiring right is just about the whole ball of wax.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is something else I’ve said for a while. UConn basically quit trying once the Big East broke up. Then when we started again we focused on basketball but not just that. We basically de-emphasized football. Which essentially made us unacceptable to any P4. SMU, Cincinnati, Houston UCF all went all in on good football. Houston has demonstrated that you could also have good basketball in the AAC, as did Cincy until Cronin left, despite the comments to the contrary from the NEWBE fanboys. Had we taken that route we would be in a P4 league, either the B12 or the ACC, today.
Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
large state university with high quality research with a ton of resources. Location within the "research triangle" which has a lot of influence. Maybe Berkeley and Michigan can turn their nose up but it’s closer than you think.
Higher Ed Times has an interactive website that listed who each university thought of as their peer and who thought them as peers. Michigan listed all the AAU schools as peers and nobody else so UNC was on their peer list.

Reaction Score

-> The overriding question now becomes whether that revenue model can be adjusted to include future TV appeal and persuade Clemson and Florida State to drop lawsuits against the ACC and remain as members.

From 2013, the ACC’s first season with 14 football schools, through last week, 95 conference games drew TV audiences of at least two million. That compilation does not include 2020, when pandemic concerns prompted scores of cancellations and postponements nationwide <-

-> The details will reveal all.

Florida State’s victory at Clemson last season drew 6.71 million viewers, 2.32 million more than the No. 2-rated ACC game between Clemson and Duke. Six of the seven conference games that exceeded 3.0 million involved the Seminoles or Tigers, the lone exception being North Carolina’s win over Miami.

Florida State’s Week 0 loss to Georgia Tech in Ireland last month attracted 4.99 million viewers to ESPN, a 40% bump from the 2022 game in Ireland between Notre Dame and Navy.

WEB_ONLY_#19677_062124_RTD_ACC Football's Most-Watched League Games 2023

“At the end of the day, we are worth more than we are getting paid — a lot more than we are getting paid,” FSU Board of Trustees chairman Peter Collins told the Capital Bay Tiger Club in June.

With the Seminoles reeling from their second 0-3 start in four years, and with neither FSU nor Clemson having an apparent alternative home, will their ACC colleagues agree? <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom