Flagg to Duke. Official | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Flagg to Duke. Official

Reaction Score
How quickly we forget that to do it "right", it's a process. Remember back in 2020 when Hurley took a ragtag bunch of players into Philly & almost knocked off big bad 'Nova? "They better get us now...because it's coming..." And here we are just 3 years later as National Champs.

We wouldn't have gotten the time of day from a 5* Generational Talent even 1-2 years ago. Now, we are in that players' Top 2 list and (possibly) had a major part in that recruit cancelling his visit to Kansas after our visit.

Top 5 recruits are icing on the cake at this point...we can win at the highest level without them and developing recruits in the 10-50 range is a tried and true recipe for success in the best basketball conference and in the NCAAT.

I'll finish this post with a possible & tasty schadenfreude plot twist...

Scheyer & Duke underachieve again this year and Cooper realizes the "Brotherhood" isn't actually all that...decommits in the Spring and joins the real Blue Blood team for Fall 2024! Manifest this!
Actually I would like this to happen but then Hurley say… “Yeah, no thanks. You’re services are not needed here!”

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The kid visits the two schools he was interested in and decided on the one he liked the best. We weren't being trolled or played with. This is how the vast majority of recruitments go. I've followed dozens upon dozens of recruitments--the first one I got really into following was probably in 2013. As far as recruitments go, this was about standard. He cut schools when he knew he wasn't interested in them (Kansas) and didn't even do the whole dramatic announcement reveal thing.

Hurley, Kimani, Tom and Luke are not idiots. They wouldn't spend half our recruiting budget flying to Florida once a week unless there was a chance. Flagg seriously considered Storrs but ultimately decided that Duke had more to offer right now. It is what it is.

Would you consider it a "dirty recruitment" that Clingan visited Michigan even though it was mostly written in stone he was UConn-bound? No... he was actually interested in Michigan, but the pitch wasn't enough to sway him from the team he had the better connection to.

I seem to remember you saying you have teenage kids. If so, you're really too old for this kind of tantrum.
I like your post, except for your final paragraph. I don't see the post you quoted as a tantrum.

EDIT - The prior trolling angle was weak.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We lost and we got a silver medal. Sucks to lose and silver medals mean nothing.
Hold on a a bit.

You described the process well, and know that it's part of the knowledge base for future recruiting.

It may not have been a Cadillac Eldorado, but a set of steak knives isn't nothing. And Kansas got, "You're fired."

Reaction Score
I have to remind myself that these are 16 and 17 year old kids making these decisions. Some are thoughtful while others objectively might not be wise. Is Duke the same dream school it was under Coach K? No. Does Calipari get too much credit for putting kids in the league that undoubtedly would have made it anyway? Yes. With that said some kids make good decisions and some kids make bad decisions. Do those schools also have strong selling points? Yes. Does UConn? Also yes.

Is there excessive use of asking and answering your own questions in this post? Yes.

Reaction Score
What’s so odd about saying Laettner, despite being a great college player, wasn’t ready for the NBA? We’ve seen this time and time again from big time Duke recruits that fizzled after college, and where do you get from my post that I hated Laettner? I can think of only one Duke kid that truly went on to greatness in the NBA, Grant Hill. Maybe Zion will be another, but it’s early, and he’s had some injuries. College basketball, even if only for one year, molds and develops players, and that’s one area where Duke and the coaching staff have fallen short. Maybe Cooper will overcome all this at Duke and go on to greatness in the NBA, but I have my doubts.

I’m not sure what point you’re making here but this would seem to undercut your point that K gets credit for “not ruining” Laettner. We say that about coaches who babysit guys for a year before they get drafted where they would have after high school (e.g. Anthony Davis). Saying that about a 4 year guy that by your own admission wasn’t ready for the NBA is the exact opposite.

And if you want action on your claim that Flagg will “fizzle” in the NBA I’ll take it.

Reaction Score
Episode 2 Whatever GIF
Been a long time since a meme captured my reaction so perfectly.

Reaction Score
You get the feeling his parents were more UConn than he was honestly. His dad talked about how close it was but you read coopers quotes about how Scheyers practices and demanding accountability won him over and it’s like come on.
Very few can match a Hurley practice and what he demands of kids.
Still can’t believe this kid was a Duke fan in Maine of all places. Thanks gramps.

Reaction Score
I agree with you since most of the time he was kind of ambivalent about UConn. The quote below contradicted his previous statements about UConn.

“When I was a sophomore here at Windsor High, (UConn) was where I wanted to go, really where I dreamed of going,” Betsey said. “But really going through the process and realizing what you need and what you want, that’s really what it came down to and that’s where Cincinnati really separated themselves.”

Reading in between the lines that sounds like a kid who is recognizing his "dream" school wasn't really his "dream" school once he matured and realized what he was looking for in a school/program.

Reaction Score
Can’t refute the points I made is all I see. Thanks for playing!

Did I say you were wrong about anything you said? No. Did you make some valid points? Yes. Does that mean asking and answering your own question numerous times in the same post isn’t funny? No. Is it a weird way to converse? Yes. What’s the maximum number of times one can ask and answer their own questions in the same post without it being excessive? Maybe twice. Have I exceeded that threshold in this post? Yes. Am I desperate for new recruiting news? Also yes. Is this schtick tired by now? We’ll see.

Reaction Score
I don't know why, but it's not bothering me that he decided not to come here. If we were a worse program, in need of a savior to come in and help us attain some goal. Then maybe. But Uconn, we build teams to win championships. We are beyond were a lot of programs are. No doubt it would've been great to see him in a UConn uniform, but I think he would need a year to adjust to the game. He will show up in some nice highlight films and be drafted high, but we have our sights on bigger goals.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I don't know why, but it's not bothering me that he decided not to come here. If we were a worse program, in need of a savior to come in and help us attain some goal. Then maybe. But Uconn, we build teams to win championships. We are beyond were a lot of programs are. No doubt it would've been great to see him in a UConn uniform, but I think he would need a year to adjust to the game. He will show up in some nice highlight films and be drafted high, but we have our sights on bigger goals.
Why do I read this post in an '70s film robot voice?

Reaction Score
By the time he comes to Gampel to play, he’ll definitely need to adjust to seeing above him maybe 18 or 19 National Championship banners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom