Five Worst UConn Losses Ever | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Five Worst UConn Losses Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The loss to George Mason was the absolute worst, but not surprised it happened. The 2006 team thought they could roll out of bed at beat anyone.

Remember, it wasn’t until about 5 minutes left in the game that the took the lead against Albany in the first round. UCONN was minutes away from being the first #1 to lose to a #16.

That game had me sweating bullets.

Reaction Score
#5 6OT loss to Cuse
#4 MD loss with Caron
#3 FL loss with Donyell
#2,Duke loss because of Laettner
#1 GEORGE FREAKIN MASON

Reaction Score
That dhiivxaaatnmoidwagdannif Hibbert 3.
“He hits it all the time in practice!”

That Maryland game is one of the best games I’ve ever watched. Sans final result.

Knew we done when AJ got carried off. Damn 5 vs 12 game.

Can’t believe hansbrough got that win. We got the last laugh though
Think that was a 4-13 game. Also think that was the first time JC lost a first round game at UConn

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Everyone knows the main ones but I’ll list some others:

1. Georgetown 2008 when Roy Hibbert hit that 3.
2. Maryland 2002 and Caron’s presser after. Crushed me.
3. San Diego 2008 just awful.
4. Notre Dame 2011 on Kemba’s senior night.

I was in a box directly behind the Georgetown basket so I had a great view of that freaking oaf launching that 3. (I'd planned a visit to my sister and her now husband to coincide with the game, since he'd told me his firm had a box at the Verizon Center.)

That was the second worst game I've watched at the Verizon Center.

Reaction Score
Thabeet would’ve had hasnbroughs lunch. That was the exact guy he had no answer for.

Correction: Thabeet would have had 2 fouls before the under 12 TO. Hansbrough got every call imaginable. UConn also had nobody that could have remotely guarded Lawson. That UConn team also had trouble scoring without Dyson and UNC was putting up 90+ on everybody.

Reaction Score
The Florida one was rough. I thought we got boned the whole end of that year.

We SHOULD have been in the West region with that #1 seed but they gave it to Mizzou. Then had to play Florida in Miami. D'Mitri Hill killed us with a wide open run to the Final Four there and I think we smash Duke that year. Not sure we beat Arkansas, but we're in the Final.

Mississippi State is up there - but it's weird. That team was actually way, way, way, way, way better than orginally thought and people forget they smashed Kentucky to pieces in the SEC final. They were a preseason top 5 team that just didn't figure it out until later in the year and we caught them with injuries and at the worst possible time. I remember being crushed, but not altogether surprised. The deep part of that tragedy for me was MSU losing to Syracuse in the Final Four. They should have run them over like a mack truck.

I still can't watch the George Mason game again and the Duke loss in 1990 was slam dunk #1.

Reaction Score
Florida was the toughest loss for me for a couple reasons.

1. They had a favorable path to the Final Four (they had a better team than Florida and they would have easily beaten BC).

2. No one back in '04 would have dreamed that UConn football could have competed with Florida (the Huskies were 1A and he Gators a D1 national power). Small time New England football vs SEC power. In baseball, pretty much the same deal, a good Northeast baseball program vs a southern, national power program. BUT . . . . basketball was going to be a different story. UConn was a national power from the country's strongest conference, Florida a good team from a conference not as strong as the Big East. This was our sport. This was our chance to show that we could dominate an SEC program.

But . . . WTF? Donyell, man, come on. And, UConn let them hang around early in the game. That is why I was so pissed they almost got beat at Gampel ('13 - '14) and so thrilled when Bazz hit his shot. I was absolutely estatic when the Huskies eliminated the Gators (now the favored team) later in the same season in the Final Four semis. And, just for good measure, UConn beat them in Gainesville in Jan '15. Our sport and Florida doesn't beat us (the reverse of football and basketball). Now though, I hope the Huskies don't cross paths with he Gators for a long while til this hoops disaster gets fixed,

Reaction Score
There are way too many great wins to sweat on the 5 worst losses. George Mason is the only one I would say.
The only thing that really matters is there is no worst loss in a National Championship game.

Reaction Score
1990 Duke, I was at the game in the Meadowlands. My seat was so high up that the only guy who I could make out clearly was Nadav Hennefield.
Tate George fumbled the ball out of bounds or we win.
The seats I had a perfect angle along the baseline (with the benches).
My last thought before the in bounds pass, "Someone better cover the guy passing the ball in bounds......"

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We SHOULD have been in the West region with that #1 seed but they gave it to Mizzou. Then had to play Florida in Miami. D'Mitri Hill killed us with a wide open run to the Final Four there and I think we smash Duke that year. Not sure we beat Arkansas, but we're in the Final.

yeah, we had a clear path to our first Final Four. BC had already taken out a great 1 seeded North Carolina team and we rode BC in those years like a rented mule. Yeah playing Florida in Miami was a tough break, but we were a better team easily. We tossed that game away.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Think that was a 4-13 game. Also think that was the first time JC lost a first round game at UConn
I thought it was a 3-14 game. Positive it wasn't a 5-12 game.

ADD: You were right, it was a 4-13 game.

Reaction Score
That 86 to 12 pounding we took from Wesleyan in '05/'06. That hurt.

Reaction Score
The loss to George Mason was the absolute worst, but not surprised it happened. The 2006 team thought they could roll out of bed at beat anyone.

Remember, it wasn’t until about 5 minutes left in the game that the took the lead against Albany in the first round. UCONN was minutes away from being the first #1 to lose to a #16.

That game had me sweating bullets.

That team had a real worn out feel to it by the end of the season. I think it was a late season game, a real struggle against Notre Dame if I remember correctly, that just left me feeling like maybe JC had to drive them too hard, and that maybe they had finally broken. They were still managing to win, but they looked out of gas.

Reaction Score
Correction: Thabeet would have had 2 fouls before the under 12 TO. Hansbrough got every call imaginable. UConn also had nobody that could have remotely guarded Lawson. That UConn team also had trouble scoring without Dyson and UNC was putting up 90+ on everybody.

I agree with this. I think with Dyson, we were the best team in the country. I seem to recall a Big Monday thumping of Louisville that had me believing that no one could beat that team, although my memory may be off.

Reaction Score
A lot of these losses are in the tournament. For some reason when I think of the worst loss I remember a game back in the early naughts against Miami where we had the game won and Darius Rice single handedly took the game away from us. With a few seconds left he stole an inbounds pass to hit a three to win it. I think we also missed a bunch of free throws at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom