Five Worst UConn Losses Ever | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Five Worst UConn Losses Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maryland in 2002 was a gut punch too. Caron’s last game and we were up late before A couple of late 3’s did us in. Plus getting to final four on cuse home floor would have been extra sweet.
That MD game was an example of the automatic sit with two fouls rule not working. It let the Terps back in the game.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The loss to UCLA hurt because everyone now knows how dirty Harrick was and that UCLA team should have been banned.

And that 95 team was nice...if we get by that round we have a solid look. Same as 96.

Those 3 straight years, and being my first 3 full years as a young fan, were tough. We were so good, 2, 2, 1 seeds... I thought we could play with anyone both those seasons.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Was it Blake who gave them the lead?

No.

Dixon tied it it at 77.

UConn missed and Dixon hit two free throws to make it 79-77.

I think Robertson tied it after that and then Baxter scored to give Maryland the lead they would not relinquish.

Blake hit a three to make it 86-80 with like twenty seconds left - he really didn't play well.

Basically, the difference in that game was that Maryland hit more free throws than we did. (There were 70 or so free throws in the game and Maryland shot something ridiculous like 31-35. Lonny Baxter, who was a crap free throw shooter, had a career night at the line.)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Yeah I agree. It's kind of odd how those back to back championship teams have been forgotten. They were REALLY good.

So were we. Were it not for us losing Dyson, back-to-back might never have happened for them.

Reaction Score
Sadly there have been many tough losses over the years, but for me the worst would be:

1. Duke 1990: nothing compares to this one. It’s not even close. Can close my eyes and still remember exactly where I was and how I felt when that ball went out of bounds.

2. George Mason: was at the game with what seemed like the entire crowd cheering against us. Will never forget poor Rudy Gay’s family/friends whose seats were right in front of me. They had bags of t-shirts about Rudy in the Final 4. Just heart breaking seeing them in pain.

3. Florida 1994: listened to this game in the car. Donyell missing both free throws is beyond comprehension.

Reaction Score
So were we. Were it not for us losing Dyson, back-to-back might never have happened for them.
Wrong year. Dyson was a freshman in the 2007 season, and injured for the 2009 season against Syracuse.

I also don't know that that Florida team would have handled us that easily. Noah and Horford were really good, but we could match them with size. Their size allowed them to, say, wreck that great but tiny Villanova team in the E8, but it wasn't so great that they didn't struggle against Georgetown, which had Hibbert.

That UConn team got up for games against good teams. They played down to other opponents. If they made the FF, they'd have gotten Florida there, and I think they come out firing. Same with UCLA in the title game.

Their propensity to play down to opponents on the one hand, and our bigs' difficulty with the 6'7" brutes of George Mason, made for a terrible pairing in retrospect.

Reaction Score
It always sucks to lose a tournament game, but the Elite Eight losses in 95, 98, and 02 don't really stick in my craw as bad losses, seeing as in all three of those seasons, the UConn teams pretty much hit their potential and went down going toe to toe with opponents that were better than them. I look back with a "what could have been" attitude toward Tyus Edney going coast coast against Mizzou more than any one thing about the game with UCLA. In 98, I'm more mad about getting put into that region with UNC, with the regional being in Greensboro, when I think we were the best 2 seed that year.

Given my age, being born in 85, here are the 5 that were the most brutal for me...

1) Sweet 16 1996 vs. Mississippi State - This is the only sporting event I remember crying over the result of.
2) Elite Eight 2006 vs. George Mason - I know this team had issues with compete level and mental toughness, and they probably would have lost to Florida, but damn what an embarrassing loss.
3) Sweet 16 1994 vs. Florida - This is one of my earliest memories as a sports fan, it was the first season I really followed the program. This one really hurts, because the path was laid for that team to go really deep.
4) Second Round 2005 vs. NC State - A portent of things to come the following year. Bounced because they couldn't get up for an inferior opponent.
5) Second Round 2000 vs. Tennessee - Missin' you Khalid...

Honorable mention to the AJ Price ACL game (I'm sure it would be on this list had I not been in France on a college trip at the time, and unable to watch the game. I refuse to watch any footage from this game) and the Syracuse 6-OT Big East Tourney loss.

Reaction Score
Number 1, 1990 Duke, no comparison. An unforgettable season that established us, for the first time, as an honest to goodness big time national program. Having experienced It's Late, It's Tate, It's Great just two nights earlier, it seemed Final Four was our pre-ordained destiny. We had all the magic, all the the mojo, all the karma. And then suddenly we didn't. Still stings.

Reaction Score

I think you are mixing up your years. Florida won in 06 and 07 and Dyson was hurt in 09.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No we didn't.

It also meant that, somehow!, Jeff Adrien graduated never winning a BET game. Crazy fact.

See, that's how little I think about it!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No.

Dixon tied it it at 77.

UConn missed and Dixon hit two free throws to make it 79-77.

I think Robertson tied it after that and then Baxter scored to give Maryland the lead they would not relinquish.

Blake hit a three to make it 86-80 with like twenty seconds left - he really didn't play well.

Basically, the difference in that game was that Maryland hit more free throws than we did. (There were 70 or so free throws in the game and Maryland shot something ridiculous like 31-35. Lonny Baxter, who was a crap free throw shooter, had a career night at the line.)

Also, IIRC, Butler picked up 2 fouls relatively early and went to the bench. I credit JC's inflexibility with helping us beat Duke in '04 but I've always wondered about that Maryland game. Then again, maybe Caron is tired and doesn't have the explosive second half he did if he played more in the first...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is worth mentioning regarding the 2000 Tennessee game that KEA actually sprained his ankle with 90 seconds left against Utah State in the previous game. I think UConn was only up 12 or 14 when the injury happened, but they were up enough that putting KEA on the bench was an option, and one I wanted Calhoun to do at the 2 minute mark. KEA had played a mountain of minutes that season, and we had no plan B if he got hurt, as we proved.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Also, IIRC, Butler picked up 2 fouls relatively early and went to the bench. I credit JC's inflexibility with helping us beat Duke in '04 but I've always wondered about that Maryland game. Then again, maybe Caron is tired and doesn't have the explosive second half he did if he played more in the first...

He played seven minutes in the first half.

If he picks up a third foul, he's not the same player in the second half.

The difference really was our bigs, including Emeka, being unable to handle Baxter without fouling.

And Baxter hitting at a rate that you would not expect - if Baxter hits his normal rate, we win.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is the Maryland boxscore:

Maryland vs. Connecticut Box Score, March 24, 2002 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

The refs treated Lonnie Baxter like he was Kevin McHale that night. I would almost see Mike Hayes picking up 4 fouls on him, but Okafor too? Seriously? Lonnie Baxter is like the fat guy at the YMCA that calls fouls when he bumps his belly against you. Okafor could have played 2 games against Maryland without picking up 4 fouls against Baxter. That was total BS. Okafor only played 23 minutes that night when, by that point in the season, he was playing over 30 a game.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Here is the Maryland boxscore:

Maryland vs. Connecticut Box Score, March 24, 2002 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

The refs treated Lonnie Baxter like he was Kevin McHale that night. I would almost see Mike Hayes picking up 4 fouls on him, but Okafor too? Seriously? Lonnie Baxter is like the fat guy at the YMCA that calls fouls when he bumps his belly against you. Okafor could have played 2 games against Maryland without picking up 4 fouls against Baxter. That was total BS. Okafor only played 23 minutes that night when, by that point in the season, he was playing over 30 a game.

Or we could just blame Johnnie.

@Fishy This has Caron with 33, so he must've played at least 13 in the first. I totally hear you, but I've always wondered.

Reaction Score
It is worth mentioning regarding the 2000 Tennessee game that KEA actually sprained his ankle with 90 seconds left against Utah State in the previous game. I think UConn was only up 12 or 14 when the injury happened, but they were up enough that putting KEA on the bench was an option, and one I wanted Calhoun to do at the 2 minute mark. KEA had played a mountain of minutes that season, and we had no plan B if he got hurt, as we proved.
Yeah, and they would have gotten a mediocre (8-seed) UNC in the S16--and 7-seed Tulsa in the E8! Then 5-seed Florida in the Final Four.

That was a bracket our team could have waltzed right through with a healthy KEA. They probably don't beat MSU in the title game if they got that far, but never bet against JC with time to prepare.

Reaction Score
Don’t thi
MSU in the 2009 FF was another tough one for me. Even without Dyson, that team was loaded enough to win the title.
i often thought about this one. I don’t think we had an answer for Ellington without Jerome.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
1) Mason
2) Mason
3) Mason
4) TX in 2003
5) Florida 1994
6) UCLA 1996
7) Mason
8) Mason
9) Mason
10) Mason

season ending elimination games bother me most, especially when you expect more

Duke 90, UNC 98, Twerps 2002 and MSU in 09 didn't bother me as much, I was happy with the season

You have to learn to enjoy the ride

Reaction Score
Calhoun has said in interviews that his 94 team was certainly one of his best teams. Thought they had as good a chance as any to win it all that year.
I was absolutely convinced we were winning it all that season. I think i spent a week after we lost walking around in a haze. Also that 95 team was incredible and its no coincidence that UCLA won the national title that year. I remember a lot of people thought the winner of that game would win it all. As it was Ucla cut down the nets. Its amazing to think if it werent for a free throw here, a missed shot there, an injury there and we could be sitting on 6 National Titles right now.

I think our worst loss has to be GMason. I still dont understand how that team lost that game. I just remember GMs post players scoring at will in the post.

Reaction Score
1990 - Duke /Dream Season / heart wrenching loss. The reason I hate Duke and Laetner.
1994- Florida / free throws/unbelievable loss
1996 - Miss. St / such a strong team with Ray Allen
2002- Maryland / Caron Butler was absolutely dominant, a beast and completely embodied what UCONN basketball was all about. It was extra tough because it was his last game as a Husky and a sophomore. Probably my favorite Husky.
2006- George Mason / Rock Star team with no true dominant Alpha. One of the most disappointing, That year should’ve been title number 3.

Honorable mention / 2009- Michigan State- With Dyson we win Title number 3 here and should have been title # 4.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The 2006 team is a much discussed paradox. Tremendous individual talent that never gelled. I don't like to blame that team's problems completely on chemistry because we only had one ball handler, and that was a problem.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The 2006 team is a much discussed paradox. Tremendous individual talent that never gelled. I don't like to blame that team's problems completely on chemistry because we only had one ball handler, and that was a problem.

I was not a fan of the Rudy/Charlie teams. Never felt like true UConn/JC squads. Can't say I wasn't surprised UConn didn't get to an FF in those years. Those were not "hungry Huskies".

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It always sucks to lose a tournament game, but the Elite Eight losses in 95, 98, and 02 don't really stick in my craw as bad losses, seeing as in all three of those seasons, the UConn teams pretty much hit their potential and went down going toe to toe with opponents that were better than them. I look back with a "what could have been" attitude toward Tyus Edney going coast coast against Mizzou more than any one thing about the game with UCLA. In 98, I'm more mad about getting put into that region with UNC, with the regional being in Greensboro, when I think we were the best 2 seed that year.

Given my age, being born in 85, here are the 5 that were the most brutal for me...

1) Sweet 16 1996 vs. Mississippi State - This is the only sporting event I remember crying over the result of.
2) Elite Eight 2006 vs. George Mason - I know this team had issues with compete level and mental toughness, and they probably would have lost to Florida, but damn what an embarrassing loss.
3) Sweet 16 1994 vs. Florida - This is one of my earliest memories as a sports fan, it was the first season I really followed the program. This one really hurts, because the path was laid for that team to go really deep.
4) Second Round 2005 vs. NC State - A portent of things to come the following year. Bounced because they couldn't get up for an inferior opponent.

Honorable mention to the AJ Price ACL game (I'm sure it would be on this list had I not been in France on a college trip at the time, and unable to watch the game. I refuse to watch any footage from this game) and the Syracuse 6-OT Big East Tourney loss.

Same age. Good list but I’m putting that loss to a clearly inferior Michigan st on there in 2009.

2008 first round only hurts because they blew 2 calls against us to get the game to OT. Dyson grew a great charge on an inbounds and they called a goaltend on Thabeet that was simply not a goaltend.

But that game just showed our 2 bigs weren’t as tough as advertised. A short fat kid threw them around.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I’m still baffled how poorly coached mizzou was in that situation. They literally did everything wrong on that play.

Reaction Score
Same age. Good list but I’m putting that loss to a clearly inferior Michigan st on there in 2009.
Was gonna list this in my hon. mention, simply forgot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom