Five Worst UConn Losses Ever | The Boneyard

Five Worst UConn Losses Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We've had too much good news this week. So in an effort to appease the mojo gods, I offer this thread.

5. Duke 101, UConn 54 (1964 Elite 8): Before my time, but my father talked about this one until the day he died. We'd just beaten Princeton – featuring Bill Bradley – 52-50 in the Sweet 16 and this represented what was really our introduction on the national stage.

And so Duke absolutely humiliated us in one of the biggest blow-outs in tournament history. **** Duke.

4. Syracuse 127, UConn 117 (2009 BET): This one is maybe a little controversial to put on the list for a few reasons. First, not an NCAA tourney game. Second, it was actually a dog$h!t game. Third, 'Cuse went on to lose to Louisville anyway. Fourth, we made the Final Four that year, so it was by definition successful.

I don't care, though. This is the No. 1 game people remember against our most hated rival. Any time folks talk "Syracuse v UConn," this is the first game that gets mentioned. It kills me.

3. Florida 69, UConn 60 (1994 Sweet 16): We were 29-4, we had a fun and balanced team that could score at all 3 levels, we rebounded and protected the paint, we ran, we were deep. And most of all, we had Donyell – who was, at worst, the third-best player in the country that season, and who'd been so clutch for the entire year.

I still can't believe he missed those free throws.

2. Mississippi State 60, UConn 55 (1996 Sweet 16): We were 32-2 and IMO the best team in the country. We had the best player in the country. We'd just knocked off a really good Georgetown team in the BET via an incredible shot from Ray and literally the best 1v1 defense I've ever seen from a college guard (thanks Ricky!).

Injuries killed us. But still, I remember being filled with complete despair after this one. I was utterly convinced Calhoun would never, ever lead us over the hump – that his teams would always choke in March.

1. Duke 79, UConn 78 (1990 Elite 8): **** Duke.

------------

FWIW, the George Mason loss never really rated for me on the pain scale (I don't know why), and same with the 2009 Final 4 loss. I suppose if Dyson had stayed healthy I'd feel otherwise, though.

Reaction Score
Only one for me. Duke. If only Tate George didn't know the ball out of bounds. I have relived that play hundreds of times in my life.

Reaction Score
We've had too much good news this week. So in an effort to appease the mojo gods, I offer this thread.

5. Duke 101, UConn 54 (1964 Elite 8): Before my time, but my father talked about this one until the day he died. We'd just beaten Princeton – featuring Bill Bradley – 52-50 in the Sweet 16 and this represented what was really our introduction on the national stage.

And so Duke absolutely humiliated us in one of the biggest blow-outs in tournament history. **** Duke.

4. Syracuse 127, UConn 117 (2009 BET): This one is maybe a little controversial to put on the list for a few reasons. First, not an NCAA tourney game. Second, it was actually a dog$h!t game. Third, 'Cuse went on to lose to Louisville anyway. Fourth, we made the Final Four that year, so it was by definition successful.

I don't care, though. This is the No. 1 game people remember against our most hated rival. Any time folks talk "Syracuse v UConn," this is the first game that gets mentioned. It kills me.

3. Florida 69, UConn 60 (1994 Sweet 16): We were 29-4, we had a fun and balanced team that could score at all 3 levels, we rebounded and protected the paint, we ran, we were deep. And most of all, we had Donyell – who was, at worst, the third-best player in the country that season, and who'd been so clutch for the entire year.

2. Mississippi State 60, UConn 55 (1996 Sweet 16): We were 32-2 and IMO the best team in the country. We had the best player in the country. We'd just knocked off a really good Georgetown team in the BET via an incredible shot from Ray and literally the best 1v1 defense I've ever seen from a college guard (thanks Ricky!).

Injuries killed us. But still, I remember being filled with complete despair after this one. I was utterly convinced Calhoun would never, ever lead us over the hump – that his teams would always choke in March.

------------

FWIW, the George Mason loss never really rated for me on the pain scale (I don't know why), and same with the 2009 Final 4 loss. I suppose if Dyson had stayed healthy I'd feel otherwise, though.

FWIW the George Mason loss really registered on the pain scale for me.

Reaction Score

------------

Idc about 5. I was at 4 for the whole thing. 3, 2 and 1 still bother me. But George Mason belongs on that list.

Donyell :(

Reaction Score
George Mason can be #1. Only game we were the biggest fav. I sat 3 rows from the floor at the George Mason game with my Uconn hoodie and was very visible due to my energy the entire game. The end result and surrounded by all that Green and those routing for the underdog made me meow out of there as my bark was muzzled. Sigh. #illneverforgetthepain

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
The San Diego first round loss in 2008 was one that really hurt too, as it was one of the only times I can remember where we were upset early in the tournament.
I swear I believe and blame that injury on the half tied Jordans he was wearing.

1. George Mason still ranks as one of the worst tournament loses ever so it has to be our worse.
2. Donyell
3. Missippi St.

Reaction Score

------------

Calhoun has said in interviews that his 94 team was certainly one of his best teams. Thought they had as good a chance as any to win it all that year.

Reaction Score

------------

#3. Just make 1 0f them Donyell and we win.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

------------

Nice list, well-discussed.
Others' would interest me.

The 1964 Duke game was during my second year watching the Huskies at my dad's side, whether at the Field House or on TV. I was 10 years old, totally into it, and could not comprehend when my father 'prepared' me for a likely large margin loss. May well have been my first introduction to such disparities & the very concept of 'levels' in life matters.
It also hurt.

The Florida game was played while I flew from business in San Francisco to family in Los Angeles. I took great care to have my girlfriend's 8th grade son set up the VCR at his grandparents' home, and recruit family agreement that no one would tell me the outcome, even though none of them cared or could really comprehend how I could care so much. Within moments of my getting to the house from LAX, I could see it in Max's eyes, and he told me that I wouldn't want to watch the game. I never have, and I never minded that he spilled the beans.

One year later, I was on the hook to pickup Max from a Bar Mitzvah reception at the Officers' Club on Governor's Island, which was then very restricted from civilian access. I debated taping the game & trying to preserve ignorance of the outcome vs. listening on the radio & watching the tape later. It was a thrilling listen, and I got some great pictures of the World Trade Center towers with the brownstone fort that is companion to Castle Clinton in the foreground.
I have never watched that game either.

My experience of the Mississippi State game was much like yours.

20 months later, my father died. It tugs my heart and blows my mind that I have seen 4 National Championships, and he saw none.

Reaction Score
George Mason was a big loss, we were headed to a Championship. One of those losses requiring therapy.

Florida would have handled us with relative ease. No one realized it at the time, but they were stacked.

Reaction Score
Florida would have handled us with relative ease. No one realized it at the time, but they were stacked.

Yeah I agree. It's kind of odd how those back to back championship teams have been forgotten. They were REALLY good.

Reaction Score
The George Mason game doesn't make the top 5 for me - sure it sucked. Sure it was a huge upset. But I remember that year as year in which we constantly played down to our opponent. Our cup runneth over with talent, and made a mess along the way.
We struggle against Albany. Thought we were going to lose that one. Only beat a weak Kentucky team by 4. Then we play Washington, Brandon Roy plays one of the best games of his career, and we need a last second prayer to tie it up. I remember thinking Roy got screwed on a foul call late, or we would not even have had a shot to win it. At that point, I figured we were playing with house money and had grossly under performed. When GM beat us, I had done my hand wringing already and life went on.

Syracuse in 6OTs is top 5 for me. It wasn't a "worst loss" type game. But it hurt bad, because it was SU and it was 6OT and I knew it would be referenced forever. Which so far it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom