Five Standing Out For Five Star Andrew Nembhard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Five Standing Out For Five Star Andrew Nembhard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What I mean by that is Calhoun would recruit one 5 star talent as his first option and his fall back option would also be a 5 star talent or a top 100 talent who would turn out to be at minimum an excellent college player: Kemba Walker ( a 5 star talent McDonalds All American and a top 15 player is a perfect example of that as Calhoun's plan B to Brandon Jennings. Jeremy Lamb was a plan B or plan C for Calhoun, but he was a top 75 player and turned out to be a great college player and an NBA player. Shabazz Napier was probably a plan C for Calhoun to Knight and Selby and again turned out to be great college player and an NBA player for us. There are many examples just like this with Calhoun.

Ollie's second options are Chippola/Chipotle Community College products or top 100 guys who are chronically injured or lack basketball IQ to take advantage of their talents. I'm really hoping for the best, but I don't have faith in Ollie or his assistants to turn this around because I see coaching neophytes at all positions excluding the strength and conditioning coach.
Calhoun as coching in t
What I mean by that is Calhoun would recruit one 5 star talent as his first option and his fall back option would also be a 5 star talent or a top 100 talent who would turn out to be at minimum an excellent college player: Kemba Walker ( a 5 star talent McDonalds All American and a top 15 player is a perfect example of that as Calhoun's plan B to Brandon Jennings. Jeremy Lamb was a plan B or plan C for Calhoun, but he was a top 75 player and turned out to be a great college player and an NBA player. Shabazz Napier was probably a plan C for Calhoun to Knight and Selby and again turned out to be great college player and an NBA player for us. There are many examples just like this with Calhoun.

Ollie's second options are Chippola/Chipotle Community College products or top 100 guys who are chronically injured or lack basketball IQ to take advantage of their talents. I'm really hoping for the best, but I don't have faith in Ollie or his assistants to turn this around because I see coaching neophytes at all positions excluding the strength and conditioning coach.
Calhoun was coaching and recruiting in arguably the best basketball conference in the country. Recruits from JC's last season in the AAC were Facey and Samuels; not exactly an award inning recruiting class.
This is a different UConn program and it has less to do with the HC and more to do with the conference. I'm not saying KO hasn't made mistakes because he has but you can't compare Big East recruiting with AAC recruiting. I think that is why we get so close with key recruits and they end up choosing a P5 school in most cases.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
What we need is a winning season. Last season was so tough because there were such high expectations and because of injuries and whatever else we struggled mightily.

Coming off a lost season, it's tough to get kids to buy in. What we need is to be ranked most of if not all year and to win a game or 2 (or more) in the tournament. If that happens and Adams and Larrier get drafted we will be much harder to recruit against. We'll have a recent winning/successful season. We'll have just put 2 guys in the league. This will make recruiting a lot easier.

It's hard enough to recruit in the AAC when you're winning and putting guys in the league. It's even harder when you're coming off a disappointing season and haven't put someone in the league in awhile. (Although Hamilton might have become a 1st round player if he stayed another season but recruits don't care about that).

Reaction Score
Agree and he needs to make more mid range pull ups too, that will make him more valuable in their eyes and allow him to blow by defenders with hesitations. I mean he gets to the hole a lot as it is if he can make a higher percentage of short jumpers he will be real tough to handle.

Another problem is that the WAY he blows by won't work so well in the league. He needs a few more go-to finishes than the sweeping right hand.

What He needs is a nice hesi jump stop and he's golden.:)

pj

Reaction Score
This right here exemplifies why our recruiting is in trouble. I agree with you that those two things SHOULD be the pillars of KO's recruiting pitches.

The problem is that they can easily be dismissed these days.

(1) KO hasn't proven he can develop anyone for the NBA. He hasn't sent a single one of his recruits to the league in 5 years here. Shabazz is his only nba player, and although KO coached him, he was a JC recruit and I suspect opposing coaches are giving JC credit for his development (right or wrong). He's also had a relatively disappointing NBA career so far; not a knock on him, but it's hard to pin your NBA development pedigree on a guy who plays a few minutes a game.

He hasn't sent anyone from any other position to the nba. d-ham and daniels close, but they aren't in the league now and have never spent a minute in it. That is a weak nba resume for a guy who spent 14 years in the league despite limited talent. We all expected this to be his strongest selling point.

(2) Can easily be dismissed with the recent (and past) transfers, the shakeups of the coaching staff/ trainers etc.

Also, whether people want to admit it or not, his divorce does not help his family man and christian values image. Probably doesn't play a huge role in recruiting overall, but I bet it matters to certain parents.

And therein lies our recruiting issues. (with the addition of the aac of course).

I think this is correct, but it also shouldn't be insuperable.

(1) Yes, but that's largely a consequence of the recruiting sanctions limiting the talent to come here. Until Jalen, KO didn't have any recruits you would expect to have a chance to make the NBA except DHam, and he is still only 22 and may get there. Counting against the DHam shortfall is Brimah who came close to making the NBA and was a 3* in high school. With Jalen, Alterique, and Terry, KO has 3 more chances to produce an NBA player.

(2) They have to sell around that one bad year, but one year doesn't destroy a lifetime of testimonials. Above all, it doesn't make up for testimonials from current players if he creates a family environment this year.

We'll see how it goes. KO has to love his players and show them how to be successful, individually and as a team. If he can do that, he wins and UConn wins.

Reaction Score
???

Adams has a great mid range pull up game. He has shown it from baseline, foul line and wing.

Great?? He needs to make more looks good now but guys like Tony Parker make 6 of 10 when they get open looks in the lane. Not saying he's Tyler Phommachanh but he could be similar.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This right here exemplifies why our recruiting is in trouble. I agree with you that those two things SHOULD be the pillars of KO's recruiting pitches.

The problem is that they can easily be dismissed these days.

(1) KO hasn't proven he can develop anyone for the NBA. He hasn't sent a single one of his recruits to the league in 5 years here. Shabazz is his only nba player, and although KO coached him, he was a JC recruit and I suspect opposing coaches are giving JC credit for his development (right or wrong). He's also had a relatively disappointing NBA career so far; not a knock on him, but it's hard to pin your NBA development pedigree on a guy who plays a few minutes a game.

He hasn't sent anyone from any other position to the nba. d-ham and daniels close, but they aren't in the league now and have never spent a minute in it. That is a weak nba resume for a guy who spent 14 years in the league despite limited talent. We all expected this to be his strongest selling point.

(2) Can easily be dismissed with the recent (and past) transfers, the shakeups of the coaching staff/ trainers etc.

Also, whether people want to admit it or not, his divorce does not help his family man and christian values image. Probably doesn't play a huge role in recruiting overall, but I bet it matters to certain parents.

And therein lies our recruiting issues. (with the addition of the aac of course).

So, you think in the years that KO coached under JC he had nothing to do with recruitment or development of any players?????????????????????
And, a devoutly religious guy ends up in a divorce, and you who knows nothing of the reasons and circumstances, can say that he may not be the family man he was and his Christian values have diminished???

Reaction Score
So, you think in the years that KO coached under JC he had nothing to do with recruitment or development of any players?????????????????????
And, a devoutly religious guy ends up in a divorce, and you who knows nothing of the reasons and circumstances, can say that he may not be the family man he was and his Christian values have diminished???

Man you are the absolute worst. You have absolutely zero reading comprehension skills. You do this on every single post.

Completely mis-interpret a post and then go on and on arguing against something the op never said.

I said opposing coaches are surely saying that (right or wrong). I never said I agreed with it. I almost put that disclaimer in but I assumed people would be smart enough to figure it out. But I suppose I forgot about you. You always fall into the camp of "too dumb to understand".

And this was about Shabazz specifically, so why are you mentioning "any players".

Did I say any of those things about the divorce? Did I say anything about my personal beliefs on it? I said I am sure there are christian mothers out there who may be turned off by it. Are you arguing there aren't?

You bring zero to this board. Absolutely nothing. You are delusional on the current status of the program, and cant correctly interpret a single post. You miss the mark on literally everything.

Reaction Score
Man you are the absolute worst. You have absolutely zero reading comprehension skills. You do this on every single post.

Completely mis-interpret a post and then go on and on arguing against something the op never said.

I said opposing coaches are surely saying that (right or wrong). I never said I agreed with it. I almost put that disclaimer in but I assumed people would be smart enough to figure it out. But I suppose I forgot about you. You always fall into the camp of "too dumb to understand".

And this was about Shabazz specifically, so why are you mentioning "any players".

Did I say any of those things about the divorce? Did I say anything about my personal beliefs on it? I said I am sure there are christian mothers out there who may be turned off by it. Are you arguing there aren't?

You bring zero to this board. Absolutely nothing. You are delusional on the current status of the program, and cant correctly interpret a single post. You miss the mark on literally everything.

You both have good points. I will say this is it possible KO helped make Shabazz a first rounder even though he didn't deserve to be hence giving him a nice career builder financially? I mean we know JC made Tate George a 1st rounder and he didn't deserve it and also Hasheem made a lot of money. Sometimes you develop them enough to showcase but there's not any more in the tank, I believe Shabazz hit his ceiling thanks to JC and KO but he had minimal size, speed and quickness compared to what he is now up against. And you can't develop what isn't there. DHam again, not a great athlete, shooter or very quick. Nice basketball player but you see him flying to the NBA under other NBA guidance? Same with Deandre KO wanted him to stay, he could have. Not sure why we'd throw this in his lap, oh wait yes I am what am I thinking?

Reaction Score
You both have good points. I will say this is it possible KO helped make Shabazz a first rounder even though he didn't deserve to be hence giving him a nice career builder financially? I mean we know JC made Tate George a 1st rounder and he didn't deserve it and also Hasheem made a lot of money. Sometimes you develop them enough to showcase but there's not any more in the tank, I believe Shabazz hit his ceiling thanks to JC and KO but he had minimal size, speed and quickness compared to what he is now up against. And you can't develop what isn't there. DHam again, not a great athlete, shooter or very quick. Nice basketball player but you see him flying to the NBA under other NBA guidance? Same with Deandre KO wanted him to stay, he could have. Not sure why we'd throw this in his lap, oh wait yes I am what am I thinking?

I don't think there is any doubt that KO played a huge role in getting bazz to the NBA. I never said otherwise.

The topic was KOs ability to get guys to the NBA. And I pointed out that the only guy he has gotten there was recruited by and coached by the goat for two years. And I'm sure opposing coaches are sure to remind recruits of that. That is all I said.

And he of course interprets that as me saying ko had no role in bazz development and is a total bum of a coach and hasn't developed anybody. Because he can't comprehend anything.

I don't disagree with any of your points here. I wasn't making the case of that either.

Reaction Score
Tate deserved the NBA. He was a 6'5" pg which was much more rare back then. Chuck Daly ruined his career because he didn't like his game and said so. Chuck liked small guards for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
Tate deserved the NBA. He was a 6'5" pg which was much more rare back then. Chuck Daly ruined his career because he didn't like his game and said so. Chuck liked small guards for obvious reasons.

Belonged more than likely but wasn't a first round talent. He stole 1st round money:eek:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Gonzaga recently landed a guard from France, Joel something but I'm not sure if he is a point guard or not. I think he might be because I don't recall him being that tall, 6:1, 6:2, 6:3, 6:4, something like that.

Ayayi. Not sure if he is a pure PG or more of a combo. They have a RS Jr. returning that should be the starting PG this season and another Fr. that is back from a 2 year Mormon mission (doesn't only happen at BYU apparently) that is also a PG, so they're pretty set on depth at the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom