Five Standing Out For Five Star Andrew Nembhard | The Boneyard

Five Standing Out For Five Star Andrew Nembhard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Five standing out for five-star Andrew Nembhard

Five programs have begun to stand out for the five-star prospect.

“Probably, Florida, Stanford, Gonzaga, and UConn, the most, but Ohio State is coming in, too,” he said.

UConn: “I love coach (Kevin) Ollie and Coach DK (Dwayne Killings). Coach Ollie’s biggest point to me is that he is a point guard and I am a point guard. We can develop together and learn from each other and get me better, too.”

Reaction Score
Do you want a coach that says "we can develop together" or one that says "I will develop you for the NBA". Just sayin....

Reaction Score
Do you want a coach that says "we can develop together" or one that says "I will develop you for the NBA". Just sayin....

I understand your concern. However, (1) none of us were privy to those conversations and Ollie might as well have told him exactly that and (2) I don't think the former is exclusive of and disconnected from the latter, given that developing together with a 14-year NBA point guard will inherently develop you for the NBA (as opposed to developing together with a guy who never stepped foot on an NBA court)

Reaction Score
Gonzaga recently landed a guard from France, Joel something but I'm not sure if he is a point guard or not. I think he might be because I don't recall him being that tall, 6:1, 6:2, 6:3, 6:4, something like that.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that he played the point, but either way, Gonzaga did land a quality guard.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Shoot...it seems we now have a coach who says, "Please play for me!!"

pj

Reaction Score
It's apparent that KO is not a natural salesman.

He should be pitching two things: (1) I can develop guards into NBA players as well as anyone, and my resume proves it -- I learned how to do it first-hand by turning myself into an NBA player despite being undertalented, and then I helped Kemba and Shabazz become NBA players, one an NBA all-star; and (2) I love my players and we build a family environment, a brotherhood at UConn. I live my Christian values, I'll love you, and I'll make sure we all love one another in this program. Because of that, despite all the hard work, it's going to be fun to be here, and you'll have friends for a lifetime.

Then deliver on those promises, and leave everything else to Chillious.

Reaction Score
As for "Calhoun's second or third options in recruiting many times were 5 star talents, McDonalds All Americans, NBA lottery picks" -- show me one 5 star player, McDonalds All American, or NBA lottery pick that Calhoun turned away because they weren't his first option. I've been following UConn basketball and recruiting since the Dream Season and there hasn't been a single such person.

What I mean by that is Calhoun would recruit one 5 star talent as his first option and his fall back option would also be a 5 star talent or a top 100 talent who would turn out to be at minimum an excellent college player: Kemba Walker ( a 5 star talent McDonalds All American and a top 15 player is a perfect example of that as Calhoun's plan B to Brandon Jennings. Jeremy Lamb was a plan B or plan C for Calhoun, but he was a top 75 player and turned out to be a great college player and an NBA player. Shabazz Napier was probably a plan C for Calhoun to Knight and Selby and again turned out to be great college player and an NBA player for us. There are many examples just like this with Calhoun.

Ollie's second options are Chippola/Chipotle Community College products or top 100 guys who are chronically injured or lack basketball IQ to take advantage of their talents. I'm really hoping for the best, but I don't have faith in Ollie or his assistants to turn this around because I see coaching neophytes at all positions excluding the strength and conditioning coach.

pj

Reaction Score
What I mean by that is Calhoun would recruit one 5 star talent as his first option and his fall back option would also be a 5 star talent or a top 100 talent who would turn out to be at minimum an excellent college player: Kemba Walker ( a 5 star talent McDonalds All American and a top 15 player is a perfect example of that as Calhoun's plan B to Brandon Jennings. Jeremy Lamb was a plan B or plan C for Calhoun, but he was a top 75 player and turned out to be a great college player and an NBA player. Shabazz Napier was probably a plan C for Calhoun to Knight and Selby and again turned out to be great college player and an NBA player for us. There are many examples just like this with Calhoun.

Ollie's second options are Chippola/Chipotle Community College products or top 100 guys who are chronically injured or lack basketball IQ to take advantage of their talents. I'm really hoping for the best, but I don't have faith in Ollie or his assistants to turn this around because I see coaching neophytes at all positions excluding the strength and conditioning coach.

You're citing a brief period at the peak of Calhoun's career, when he had everything working in his favor. Big East, multiple national championships, many NBA players, Hall of Fame. Most of his career he was nowhere near that level of recruiting. Even in the period you cite, he had to reach deep into the 3* ranks many times to fill out the roster. What you can say is that out of 13 roster spots, he was usually able to get the 5 quality starters and 1-2 backups he needed. Often it was a close-run thing getting that fifth or sixth player, but he pulled it out. The man could sell.

We have to see whether Ollie can get there. You can't compare Calhoun after 30 years of coaching in the Big East with Ollie in his fifth year in the AAC.

And why don't you quit ragging on Eric Cobb's path to UConn until you see how good he is. He's the only Chipola College guy to come to UConn, so your ragging on "Chipola College products" is ragging on Eric. If he turns out to be a good player, I hope you'll apologize to him, and to us for subjecting us to your ill-informed negativity.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

He should be pitching two things: (1) I can develop guards into NBA players as well as anyone, and my resume proves it -- I learned how to do it first-hand by turning myself into an NBA player despite being undertalented, and then I helped Kemba and Shabazz become NBA players, one an NBA all-star; and (2) I love my players and we build a family environment, a brotherhood at UConn. I live my Christian values, I'll love you, and I'll make sure we all love one another in this program. Because of that, despite all the hard work, it's going to be fun to be here, and you'll have friends for a lifetime.

The 2016 class was on paper terrific. It was the first class KO was not restricted by the NCAA. Didn't work out for a number of reasons but as far as any sales pitch went there was no problem.

2017 class was very good until Zach Brown ran afoul and MAL reconsidered. So the sales pitch was not a problem.

The problem was not KO's ability to sell the program and get so called star recruits but his inability to assess certain parameters that fit UConn toughness. And I'd argue it's difficult for coaches to know the mental toughness of players given the limited ability to monitor kids. I also don't subscribe to the argument that KO made mistakes taking players who had injuries in the past unless he failed to discuss those injuries with medical professionals about the probability of reoccurrence.

The big miss and fail was over the summer and the inability to convince some of the better grad transfers to fill in the gaps with kids who left the program. I've seen several factors people have presented they believe contributed to this failure including the conference, the horrible season and mediocre seasons that preceded this season and all the aspersions foisted on KO from a dedicated small group of posters. Personally I don't buy into those arguments.

If anything KO probably has decided to not pander to recruits and to the recruits parents after the fallout that happened this season. Imm there is a high probability this impacted the recruitment of Montez Mathis. A smaller probability that it was a factor with Sid Wilson. And the grad transfers with decent qualifications that didn't come to UConn most likely wanted a guarantee of being starters and I doubt very much KO is making that pitch. More than likely he's telling them they have to earn minutes to play never mind start.

We can debate if my opinion has merit. If anyone else thinks it does, we can debate if it's an over reaction on the part of KO. I don't think it is. To me it's a filter to determine who has the mental determination to prove themselves. I don't know if Kwintin Williams has the skill set to be an impact player. But he has the mental toughness to be a UConn player.

As far as Chillious goes I'm guessing that if the above assertion by me is correct, he, as well as the rest of the staff, have had to reboot which recruits they need to establish relationships based on what KO currently wants to see in his players. So I wasn't as pessimistic as others in this forum that Chillious hasn't delivered yet.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gonzaga, Stanford and Florida are the schools that appear to have separated themselves from the pack, but UConn and Ohio State have started to gain some traction.

This seemed odd to me. He mentions us with the three other schools as equals, with Ohio st playing catch up. But the writer says we're "just starting" to gain traction. Hopefully we're firmly in the mix.

Reaction Score
The little I've seen of Carey he looks to be more of a 2 guard.

Yes but fully capable of having it in his hands eventually, much like the system 2 PGs at UConn if we can get back there. I think we will this year and hopefully for the future with guys like this.

Reaction Score
The little I've seen of Carey he looks to be more of a 2 guard.

Definitely a 2-guard. Not a great passer. But who knows what the coaches see--people said the same thing about jalen and he just led the confereence in assists.

Reaction Score
Definitely a 2-guard. Not a great passer. But who knows what the coaches see--people said the same thing about jalen and he just led the confereence in assists.
He also had a ton of turnovers, though. Certainly wasn't first in AST:TO

Reaction Score

He definitely had his share of TO's that were out of control still and I believe he will cut down on those just from maturity. But as ANT has pointed out it will help him immensely to have another one or even 2 solid ball handlers out there with him. Also he will have other people he can kick the ball out to or hopefully throw the ball into with some sense of confidence.

Going back to the Carey thoughts, I don't really care if he's a great passer I just hope he can make some jumpers and take his defender off the dribble. He will be fine as a passer, and get him and Akinjo it looks to me Akinjo can definitely pass the ball so they would be wonderful together. We can only pray!:eek:

Reaction Score
But I think that was the westbrook effect. He was the only ball handler for the vast majority of the season. So his usage rate should easily explain the TO
His usage rate was inflated, but Westbrook still had a better AST:TO and if you look at his ORtg, you could see that he was much better than Adams was relative to their own competition. I do think Adams will be much more efficient with ballhandlers like Gilbert, Anderson, and Larrier (in some situations) being able to relieve some pressure.

Reaction Score

No doubt he had too many turnovers. And probably 1 a game was just a boneheaded mistake when he was exhausted. But I don't think anyone reasonable doubts that Adams was THE point guard last year. He played and acted like a scoring point guard for the team.

If he cuts down his turnovers and gets his effeciency up a little. He might have a nice run in the later first round of this draft--it's not very deep after the first 6 guys.

Reaction Score
No doubt he had too many turnovers. And probably 1 a game was just a boneheaded mistake when he was exhausted. But I don't think anyone reasonable doubts that Adams was THE point guard last year. He played and acted like a scoring point guard for the team.

If he cuts down his turnovers and gets his effeciency up a little. He might have a nice run in the later first round of this draft--it's not very deep after the first 6 guys.

Agree and he needs to make more mid range pull ups too, that will make him more valuable in their eyes and allow him to blow by defenders with hesitations. I mean he gets to the hole a lot as it is if he can make a higher percentage of short jumpers he will be real tough to handle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree and he needs to make more mid range pull ups too, that will make him more valuable in their eyes and allow him to blow by defenders with hesitations. I mean he gets to the hole a lot as it is if he can make a higher percentage of short jumpers he will be real tough to handle.

???

Adams has a great mid range pull up game. He has shown it from baseline, foul line and wing.

Reaction Score

This right here exemplifies why our recruiting is in trouble. I agree with you that those two things SHOULD be the pillars of KO's recruiting pitches.

The problem is that they can easily be dismissed these days.

(1) KO hasn't proven he can develop anyone for the NBA. He hasn't sent a single one of his recruits to the league in 5 years here. Shabazz is his only nba player, and although KO coached him, he was a JC recruit and I suspect opposing coaches are giving JC credit for his development (right or wrong). He's also had a relatively disappointing NBA career so far; not a knock on him, but it's hard to pin your NBA development pedigree on a guy who plays a few minutes a game.

He hasn't sent anyone from any other position to the nba. d-ham and daniels close, but they aren't in the league now and have never spent a minute in it. That is a weak nba resume for a guy who spent 14 years in the league despite limited talent. We all expected this to be his strongest selling point.

(2) Can easily be dismissed with the recent (and past) transfers, the shakeups of the coaching staff/ trainers etc.

Also, whether people want to admit it or not, his divorce does not help his family man and christian values image. Probably doesn't play a huge role in recruiting overall, but I bet it matters to certain parents.

And therein lies our recruiting issues. (with the addition of the aac of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom