Five Best Players at Each Position - NCAA | The Boneyard

Five Best Players at Each Position - NCAA

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Crystal, Megan and Olivia make the list.

While I understand Lauren Cox is on the list due to her talents, not sure if her contribution to the current season warrants her inclusion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m sure there will be many who will question the folks who put together this list (click bait) for numerous reasons. I will just focus on the two Baylor players. Cox is a Center, not a PF, and when Cox is in the lineup, Egbo comes off the bench as her sub. Essentially, they play the same position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess part of the fallout of getting blown out by 30 by Northwestern is you don't make lists like this one.
See the source image

Reaction Score
For those who think UConn undeserving of their #1 ranking, 18 teams are represented on this list. Of those 18, 13 (Texas A&M, Arkansas, Louisville, Kentucky, Arizona, Tennessee, Iowa State, UCLA, Princeton, Florida State, Texas, NC State, and Miami) are represented by a single entry. Three teams (South Carolina, Oregon State, and Baylor) have two players on the list. The remaining two teams, UConn and Oregon, are represented by 3 players each.

That's not exactly "Q.E.D. we're #1" but should be enough to refute the claims of those who want to dismiss our ranking out of hand.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Weird list. Dana Evans is the PG for L'ville. The article says it's the 5 best so far this year. Lauren Cox has played all of 4 games and is only averaging 12 PPG, but she's deserving? I don't think so. Plus as one poster pointed out, she plays the same position as Egbo. Nylissa Smith is the leading scorer on the team but didn't make the list?

Not sure I agree with Kiah Gillespie on the list. But glad Joyner Holmes is there - watched Texas' last 2 games and she looked really good. Solid all around player.

As for Maryland, they have 5 players who average double figures, and one at 9.8 PPG. No one is averaging over 13 PPG. So with the offense so spread out I can see why no one made the list. Sort of... Kalia Charles is the at the top with 12.8 PPG and 7.3 RPG. How does one determine the "best" at any position?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, what did the poor Terp fan do to deserve this treatment?
Yes, I concur that some fans have “piled on” perhaps misconstruing what @TerpWomenFan meant. To me, Kaila Charles was the the preseaon Big10 POY and Mikeselll was the 2019 Freshman of the year and Austin was ranked ahead of ONO coming out of HS so yes, this could be bulletin board material to motivate this group to work and perform better. I don’t view it as “slighting” any of them as none of them have earned it yet. That would be the point-to show the rest of the WCBB community that they belong in the conversation. Whether they can actually do it needs to start with tonight’s ESPN2 game against tOSU that I will be attending (shameless self-promotion :cool:).
That said, I think the list is fairly accurate with some quibbles as noted and few not mentioned but as the 40% mark of the season was a fair overview. Though the #2 guard slot not listing the Oklahoma sniper Robertson seems like a slight...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wow, what did the poor Terp fan do to deserve this treatment?
She enjoyed the sugar rush a little too much when her team was feasting on cupcakes like Wagner, Belmont & Georgia State not thinking that would leave MD ill prepared for teams like unranked Northwestern and James Madison. This is an annual addiction for MD WBB although they did take Maryland Eastern Shore off the schedule this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes, I concur that some fans have “piled on” perhaps misconstruing what @TerpWomenFan meant. To me, Kaila Charles was the the preseaon Big10 POY and Mikeselll was the 2019 Freshman of the year and Austin was ranked ahead of ONO coming out of HS so yes, this could be bulletin board material to motivate this group to work and perform better. I don’t view it as “slighting” any of them as none of them have earned it yet. That would be the point-to show the rest of the WCBB community that they belong in the conversation. Whether they can actually do it needs to start with tonight’s ESPN2 game against tOSU that I will be attending (shameless self-promotion :cool:).
That said, I think the list is fairly accurate with some quibbles as noted and few not mentioned but as the 40% mark of the season was a fair overview. Though the #2 guard slot not listing the Oklahoma sniper Robertson seems like a slight...
I mean, if a 30-point loss to a team that Maryland had never lost to before isn't motivation enough, then I think Brenda has bigger problems.

Reaction Score
but realistically, her season has not been top 5 until the last 2-3 games. The Baylor game will be the perfect opportunity for her to make 'them feel us' :D
Agree - time for CW to make good on that!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am reminded of “The New Colossus” poem at the base of the Statue of Liberty:
“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to learn more about women’s college basketball at the feet of Geno and CD, Send me these, the homeless without a quality team forum, I lift my Husky lamp beside the Gampel pavilion”....
We should be kinder to all of these lost soles (two schools are exempted from this charity) :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She enjoyed the sugar rush a little too much when her team was feasting on cupcakes like Wagner, Belmont & Georgia State not thinking that would leave MD ill prepared for teams like unranked Northwestern and James Madison. This is an annual addiction for MD WBB although they did take Maryland Eastern Shore off the schedule this year.
That sounds like fans of other teams talking about UConn’s schedule

The Boneyard has occasionally sounded like the old Summitt, what with the hubris and all

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bulletin Board material for the Maryland basketball team.
In all seriousness, I agree that Kaila Charles is a questionable omission. Definitely could be argued she should be ahead of, e.g., Joyner Holmes.

Not sure why Hebard is on the power forward list. She clearly plays the 5 for Oregon, and always has. She should take the place of Queen Egbo on the centers list.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
For those who think UConn undeserving of their #1 ranking, 18 teams are represented on this list. Of those 18, 13 (Texas A&M, Arkansas, Louisville, Kentucky, Arizona, Tennessee, Iowa State, UCLA, Princeton, Florida State, Texas, NC State, and Miami) are represented by a single entry. Three teams (South Carolina, Oregon State, and Baylor) have two players on the list. The remaining two teams, UConn and Oregon, are represented by 3 players each.

That's not exactly "Q.E.D. we're #1" but should be enough to refute the claims of those who want to dismiss our ranking out of hand.

I'm fine with UCONN at number one but wouldnt call having 3 players on this list a differentiator. UCONN has 4 offensive options on their roster, as 4 players account for about 75% of their scoring and everyone else averages under 5 shots per game. It's a loaded frontline of 4 studs but a weak backline after.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but who would you put on over Slocum and Pivec?
Oregon State has been struggling with its offense as a team of late and will need to be better this coming weekend at the Arizona schools. However, Slocum continues to play at a high level and Pivec tends to take over when her team is struggling. Those two have been steadying forces when Oregon State has struggled offensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom