Five Best Players at Each Position - NCAA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Five Best Players at Each Position - NCAA

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, I agree that Kaila Charles is a questionable omission. Definitely could be argued she should be ahead of, e.g., Joyner Holmes.

Not sure why Hebard is on the power forward list. She clearly plays the 5 for Oregon, and always has. She should take the place of Queen Egbo on the centers list.
..and as noted by our fine colleague @EricLA Dana Evans and Lauren Cox are listed out of position but that’s would require logic and thought, something the WCBB scribes at ESPN rarely utilize, bu talent you know that already.

As far @bballnut90 comment, of course that is a differentiator from teams with 0/1 names listed. That means you can’t focus on one player to minimize damage.we get to see this play out on Thursday and on Feb 3 to test your prior posts on Baylor and Oregon being so much better.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Weird list. Dana Evans is the PG for L'ville. The article says it's the 5 best so far this year. Lauren Cox has played all of 4 games and is only averaging 12 PPG, but she's deserving? I don't think so. Plus as one poster pointed out, she plays the same position as Egbo. Nylissa Smith is the leading scorer on the team but didn't make the list?

Jeff Walz has rotated Jazmine Jones and Dana Evans as the primary playmaker this year, depending on the game, opponent, matchup, etc. Given the tremendous increase in her scoring from last year (10.4 ppg) to this year (18.5 ppg) and the sharing of facilitation duties, it is reasonable to have Evans on a shooting guard list (especially if there are others to be placed on the PG list who would not fit at SG).

..and as noted by our fine colleague @EricLA Dana Evans and Lauren Cox are listed out of position but that’s would require logic and thought, something the WCBB scribes at ESPN rarely utilize, bu talent you know that already.

Actually, this article (linked in the original post) was written by Michelle Smith for the NCAA.com site...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

As far @bballnut90 comment, of course that is a differentiator from teams with 0/1 names listed. That means you can’t focus on one player to minimize damage.we get to see this play out on Thursday and on Feb 3 to test your prior posts on Baylor and Oregon being so much better.

Is having 3 a differentiator from teams who have 0 or 1 name on there? Sure. But it isn't a differentiator from other teams in the mix for #1 (Oregon, Baylor, Oregon State and SC).

And please bring up 1 example of where I've posted Baylor and Oregon being, "so much better" before stating I said that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reading this post reminds me of the old adage about one person telling another person about witnessing someone shoplifting a box of cereal from the shelf of a grocery store. That story gets passed down and by the fifth time it's a gang related attack with a SWAT team involved. Unless I missed it there was not even a post naming five players.

Reaction Score
Is having 3 a differentiator from teams who have 0 or 1 name on there? Sure. But it isn't a differentiator from other teams in the mix for #1 (Oregon, Baylor, Oregon State and SC).

And please bring up 1 example of where I've posted Baylor and Oregon being, "so much better" before stating I said that.
The differentiators will come on 1/9, 2/3 and 2/10 and probably some time in late March or early April.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The differentiators will come on 1/9, 2/3 and 2/10 and probably some time in late March or early April.
UCONN's opportunities to differentiate themselves are then. Short sighted to overlook the Oregon/OSU/Stanford matchups.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, it wasn't just Maryland.

They talked about this article on the Big Ten broadcast tonight, and they pointed out that not a single Big Ten player was selected. That seems ... weird.

Reaction Score
"Jeff Walz has rotated Jazmine Jones and Dana Evans as the primary playmaker this year, depending on the game, opponent, matchup, etc. Given the tremendous increase in her scoring from last year (10.4 ppg) to this year (18.5 ppg) and the sharing of facilitation duties, it is reasonable to have Evans on a shooting guard list (especially if there are others to be placed on the PG list who would not fit at SG). "

Jones is not and has never been the primary playmaker. She is a creator in the open court, but she does not run the point. Evans has played a few minutes here and there at off guard in a two-guard front with Mykasa Robinson spelling her at PG, but not very often. This year Evans is a shoot-first PG. And she'll remain in that role unless/until Walz can come up with another consistent outside shooter

Reaction Score
Destiny Slocum and Kiah Gillespie are FORMER Maryland players who made the list.
Yes. That should count for something for Big-10 recruiting. :) Gillespie stayed two seasons and Slocum stayed her frosh year.

Reaction Score
The center position definitely had a lot of question marks coming into this season. The Centers that graduated last year consisted of McCowan, Brown, Anigwe, Smith, Gustafson, and Turner. With that many talents bugs moving on, I'm not surprised there's a head scratcher or two in this list for that position.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

Crystal, Megan and Olivia make the list.

While I understand Lauren Cox is on the list due to her talents, not sure if her contribution to the current season warrants her inclusion.
You people do understand that this is subjective. It is not factual in any sense of the word...lol....It's like...the best stadium...the best mascot...the best city.....it's just opinions and yet people get upset and want to get angry about an opinion from a group, some of which have probably never played any type of competitive game...much less played basketball.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Mia Davis - Temple Guard best player UCONN faced time date. Everything she did on the court was fully contested the entire game yet she still fought through and got a Double Double at 6’ tall, outplayed Megan on many possessions and Megan played 1st Team AA. Somebody smart will make her a late 1st rd WNBA pick next year. That young lady is a Baller...

Reaction Score
Personally the article is thereabouts in selecting the Top 25 players for the season (exception being that Cox has been out injured most of the season thus far), but the issue is with the way they tried to present it, as being the best 5 at each position.

Reaction Score
Mia Davis - Temple Guard best player UCONN faced time date. Everything she did on the court was fully contested the entire game yet she still fought through and got a Double Double at 6’ tall, outplayed Megan on many possessions and Megan played 1st Team AA. Somebody smart will make her a late 1st rd WNBA pick next year. That young lady is a Baller...
There are only 12 first-round selections in the WNBA draft, so Davis will need to continue to show very well the rest of the year to earn that draft position. She is putting up a double-double average this season, so she appears to be very productive.

I note that Davis is a junior. That may be a reason she doesn't appear on many mock drafts boards that go 36 picks deep.

Reaction Score
Well, it wasn't just Maryland.

They talked about this article on the Big Ten broadcast tonight, and they pointed out that not a single Big Ten player was selected. That seems ... weird.

Well, it wasn't just Big Ten.

This NCAA Directory has 5 regions and not a single player from the Midwest Region was selected.

1578458279186.png

Reaction Score
UCONN's opportunities to differentiate themselves are then. Short sighted to overlook the Oregon/OSU/Stanford matchups.
True, I didn't concern myself with those matchups. They will work themselves out and will be in the mix with UCONN come March or April.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom