Fishy's (John's) Loss | The Boneyard

Fishy's (John's) Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
CTO posted about this and you can read that below, but I wanted to post this and keep it pinned for a while.

John lost his sister-in-law to cancer over the weekend after a 6 year battle with cancer. She left behind a husband and two children, 10 and 7.

Her 7 year old son recently rode a bike in a charity to raise money for cancer. With a final lap to go, he was tired and dehydrated. He stopped because he was close to throwing up. They said he didn't have to finish but all he wanted was some Gatorade. He said he had to keep going for his mom.

I posted this in CTO's thread, but I wanted this pinned to the top. I flew out to CT in June to walk with John and several others in Jim Calhoun's Ride/Walk for cancer.

That charity is still open and I cannot think of a better way to give your condolences to John and his family than to donate to his cause on the Boneyard group. And no better way to honor his sister-in-law and hopefully prevent a similar outcome for your sister's-in-law, brother's-in-law, daughters or sons.

Click the link below and click on 'J M' (that would be John, aka Fishy) and donate what you can. I can't think of any better way to offer John condolences during this difficult time.

The Boneyard Page - Click J M

The first thing I did when I read CTO's post was to go and donate some money in his name because I could not think of anything else to do more important to express my condolences.

Reaction Score
I got an e-mail saying that my donation went through, but it said to the JC Fund. I put it under John's moniker (JM).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My condolences to Fishy and more importantly, to the two kids who lost their mother far too early.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Is there any way to donate in cash through mail?

Reaction Score
Is there any way to donate in cash through mail?
This is what it says on their web site. When you send in your donation tell them that is to support JM of Team Boneyard. Address your letter (not the envelope) to Christy Deep at this address. She will apply the donation in the right place.

Offline Donations should be made payable to "The UConn Foundation, Inc." and mailed to:

Jim Calhoun Cancer Challenge Ride and Walk
c/o The UConn Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 1177
Avon, CT 06001

Reaction Score
This is what it says on their web site. When you send in your donation tell them that is to support JM of Team Boneyard. Address your letter (not the envelope) to Christy Deep at this address. She will apply the donation in the right place.

Offline Donations should be made payable to "The UConn Foundation, Inc." and mailed to:

Jim Calhoun Cancer Challenge Ride and Walk
c/o The UConn Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 1177
Avon, CT 06001

She's the one that sent me a thank you e-mail, Joyce, but it sounded like it didn't go to JM , even though I specified.

Reaction Score
She's the one that sent me a thank you e-mail, Joyce, but it sounded like it didn't go to JM , even though I specified.
I got a similar form response from her, but I know it went to the right place because it appeared on the list of contributors to JM. Christy knows the Boneyard. She will make sure it gets to the right place if JM of Team Boneyard is specified. (Plus, dirty little secret: she is an alum of Syracuse... so we know she is smart :) )

Reaction Score
I got a similar form response from her, but I know it went to the right place because it appeared on the list of contributors to JM. Christy knows the Boneyard. She will make sure it gets to the right place if JM of Team Boneyard is specified. (Plus, dirty little secret: she is an alum of Syracuse... so we know she is smart :) )

Another Connecticut Orange?:eek:. I hope not!:)

Reaction Score
Another Connecticut Orange?:eek:. I hope not!:)
Nah, Christy is a rabid UConn fan through and through, and she always has been. I just think it's funny that she went to Syracuse!

Reaction Score
I sent one in Sunday and I believe Christy knows where this was to go.......I put "Fishy" in the box!!!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Thanks, sounds like the way to go. I'll be getting mine out in short order.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was surprised while I was driving back home on Sunday night when I started to receive notifications that our Calhoun page was again receiving donations. At first, I honestly thought that perhaps the organizer had gotten around to posting matching funds or some late donor was making good.

It dawned on me after a bit that jleves was probably behind it and sure enough....

I don't have to go back and check the names - they're burned into my memory. Jim, Joyce, Kevin, Arnie, Steve, Sue and Tyler..... thank you doesn't even scratch the surface of my appreciation for what you've done.

For you, I have a story - no one else is allowed to read it.

My sister-in-law raised a significant amount of money for cancer research over the past six years. She honestly believed that some of the research being done would extend her life with her children and that made for a formidable fundraiser. She was relentless and you wrote the check quickly when she called.

So I was talking to my brother yesterday and as you do when you're talking to someone who just has the weight of the universe on his shoulders, I tried to end on an up note by telling him about the $1,500-plus you folks gave in Mal's memory.

He was touched and a little amazed that people who in some cases barely know me let alone Mal would be so generous. And then he thought for a bit and joked, "Thank God she didn't know about that or she might have tried this sooner."

Reaction Score
As we get older and less wiser, this damn stuff touches all of us way too much.

While the story you told is tragic and heart wrenching it is also beautiful in a way. She seemed to be truly special and it doesn't take much to see or feel that - this said it all. Again sorry for your loss and I am sure your brother and his children will forever have Mal in their hearts!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
To the list of people above who are newly near and dear to me, I'm adding Mark.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET