First time all year I think this team can get in the tourny | The Boneyard

First time all year I think this team can get in the tourny

Reaction Score
If they go 7-1 in their last 8, (say they lose to Houston) and then go 2-1 in the AAC tourney, that takes them to 22-12. Is that enough to be in the at-large conversation? Or is the Houston game at home a must win in order for them to be considered at-large?

Reaction Score
I think home vs Houston is more winnable than @ SMU. Anyways, I think the at large hope is gone. 7 more conference wins gets us to 11, that’s a good seed conference tourney seed at least. Definitely a high seed in the NIT.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
A week ago I would have said they could split Memphis and Houston but Memphis losing ay home v USF (11-12) the other day makes me think the Houston game at XL is a must win.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This. Our goal should be to get to that 4 line. With Memphis and Witchia struggling, this may be possible if we go on a run. Maybe Tulsa comes back to the pack as well.

Was just looking at the schedule and don't see any games we can't win, and several we should win without a struggle. I think we all know this team is better than its record indicates, and I think Kenpom shows that too. Such horrible luck and just couldn't get over the hump. So with 8 games to go, the danger games are @SMU and Houston. Memphis too I suppose. 6-2 would get us to 19-12. To get to the four line we need to win @SMU and beat Memphis. That's our competition along with WSU.

My immediate goals:
1. Let's have a winning record for a change
2. Lock down the resume for an NIT bid
3. Try to make that run in the league tournament.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
A week ago I would have said they could split Memphis and Houston but Memphis losing ay home v USF (11-12) the other day makes me think the Houston game at XL is a must win.
Houston is at Gampel

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This year as in 2020?

I sure thought we were going after Charleston/Florida!

Reaction Score
Memphis has 4 conference losses. But they have a really tough stretch to end conference play. They have Houston twice, @ Cincinnati, @ UConn, @ SMU, and home to Witchia. I could see them with at least 8 conference losses.

Witchia has 5 conference losses, but does own the tiebreaker over us. They have road games @ Cincinnati, @ SMU and @ Memphis. They even have a tricky road game this week @ UCF.

If we win both games this week, I think we have a realistic shot at the 4 line as we would have the tiebreaker over SMU, and we would be even with Memphis in the loss column assuming they lose @ Cincinnati.

We have the easier schedule down the stretch. But we need another good week to be able to take advantage of that.

Reaction Score
You guys are killing me. Killing me. We have two straight wins because we've hit 3s (finally) two straight games. We have a one game season to keep hope alive in just over 48 hours in a venue where we've been awful in this God forsaken conference. And I'm listening to hopes and predictions for 8 games out?

Some of you should be hung if we still had an active judge who gave a damn. The rest of us should be gearing up for yet another winnable but also losable must win game on Wednesday. After that one, talk to me about Memphis (and Memphis only).

Reaction Score
What we need to do to achieve a top 4 seed (which is a long-shot but doable) is to get road wins. We haven't done that in conference all season, save for a win in Tulsa in a half-empty arena. We need to do this, starting Wednesday in Texas. Don't show up if you're soft.

Reaction Score
I see the milestones as this:

Their 18th win gets them into the NIT (whether it comes in the reg season or AACT)
Their 23rd win gets them an at-large NCAA bid (would necessarily come in AACT semi-final)
AACT championship gets them automatic NCAA bid, regardless of record.

Anything can happen. If they can win at Tulsa, they can win at SMU. If they can stay with Houston into the last minute at Houston, they can beat them at home. Ditto Memphis. As for the AAC tourney, who, really, has a better chance than we do?

Reaction Score
You guys are killing me. Killing me. We have two straight wins because we've hit 3s (finally) two straight games. We have a one game season to keep hope alive in just over 48 hours in a venue where we've been awful in this God forsaken conference. And I'm listening to hopes and predictions for 8 games out?

Some of you should be hung if we still had an active judge who gave a damn. The rest of us should be gearing up for yet another winnable but also losable must win game on Wednesday. After that one, talk to me about Memphis (and Memphis only).

I've learned to respect your opinion, but I think you're denying yourself a bit of pleasurable anticipation here. It's not just that we've won the two games; it's that we went dead even into the last minute at Villanova, at Houston and at Memphis, and we did so leaving unforced errors by the boatload on the floor -- missed open threes, missed free throws, coughed-up dribbles, hero-ball antics of every stripe. What happens if we stop beating ourselves? We're starting to hit the threes. What happens if we start making free throws?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've learned to respect your opinion, but I think you're denying yourself a bit of pleasurable anticipation here. It's not just that we've won the two games; it's that we went stone-cold even into the last minute at Villanova, at Houston and at Memphis, and we did so leaving unforced errors by the boatload on the floor -- missed open threes, missed free throws, coughed-up dribbles, hero-ball antics of every stripe. We're starting to hit the threes. What happens if we start making free throws?

I'm not opposed to your optimism. I may be more optimistic than you. What if Carlton goes back to being the 10-8 guy he was for the first third of the season? What if Akok starts looking like the guy he was until 2 weeks ago? What if we at times can make ourselves better without a true point, as we played down the stretch yesterday? What if Sid starts contributing again?

It's not that I don't believe that we can be as good as anyone in our conference from here on out. It's just a belief that when a mediocre team wins 2 straight games -- and one required 44% shooting from 3 -- you don't want to get ahead of ourselves. Yes, I'm a rational human being normally, but there are basketball Gods and if you push them too far ....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Need to win the conference tourney to get in. Otherwise we will be NIT bound.

Does a 6-2 finish to regular season and 2 wins in AAC get us on bubble?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hmm, this hasn't been necessary for a while but...
1581347999388.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom