OT: - First Sunday of NFL Season! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: First Sunday of NFL Season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The league is at a point where I'm not spending a Top 10 pick on an RB even if it's Walter Payton reincarnate. Late first, sure, go for it. I have no interest in paying an RB that kind of money out of the gate.

A lot of teams are best suited for bottom-up rebuilds. Bringing in young QBs or RBs into terrible situations is a risky proposition. See Darnold and Daniel Jones. I don't believe either QB is the long term answer and it's not entirely because they aren't talented enough to get it done.
The brick and mortar of a team in the salary cap era are the players who are closed to the ball (i.e. the lines), not the ones who touch the ball the most (except for the Center). A QB, RB and WR on a bad team should be place holders until the OTs, C, DLs, DEs, MLB(s), and maybe TE can be addressed.

Running backs are plug & play. Barkley may have been good for marketing, but the #2 pick by this organization at that time was wasted on him. He might sell some jerseys, but UConn fans are quite aware that wins are more important.

Reaction Score
The brick and mortar of a team in the salary cap era are the players who are closed to the ball (i.e. the lines), not the ones who touch the ball the most (except for the Center). A QB, RB and WR on a bad team should be place holders until the OTs, C, DLs, DEs, MLB(s), and maybe TE can be addressed.

Running backs are plug & play. Barkley may have been good for marketing, but the #2 pick by this organization at that time was wasted on him. He might sell some jerseys, but UConn fans are quite aware that wins are more important.

There's a formula of how much you can/should spend percentage-wise on certain positions. RB is not one of those positions where you should spend a good %. Neither is safety, which is why the Jets didn't crumble to Jamal Adams demands and most people realize they're better off with the deal they got.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There's a formula of how much you can/should spend percentage-wise on certain positions. RB is not one of those positions where you should spend a good %. Neither is safety, which is why the Jets didn't crumble to Jamal Adams demands and most people realize they're better off with the deal they got.
I think we understand each other.

Picks get monetized once the player is signed. Prior to the draft, picks have a point value. Barkley may have been worth the second pick overall, but the Giants could have used that pick's value, if not the pick itself, on bigger needs.

Last edited:

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
The league is at a point where I'm not spending a Top 10 pick on an RB even if it's Walter Payton reincarnate. Late first, sure, go for it. I have no interest in paying an RB that kind of money out of the gate.

A lot of teams are best suited for bottom-up rebuilds. Bringing in young QBs or RBs into terrible situations is a risky proposition. See Darnold and Daniel Jones. I don't believe either QB is the long term answer and it's not entirely because they aren't talented enough to get it done.

I wouldn’t touch a RB until Rd 3 at the earliest unless an absolute superstar fell into my lap. A lot of our fans are fuming because we didn’t take Dobbins but, as good as he may end up being, it’s just a bad use of a pick in the top 2 rounds. The Giants would be wise to shop Barkley and try to use the return to accelerate the rebuild behind Jones.

Reaction Score
I am not watching (boycotting) ALL professional sports for the reasons stated in this video:

I am certain that I will be vilified here for taking this stance, but I also believe that it is important for me to exercise MY 1st Amendment right to express this point of view. Please take the time to watch this short video (the "meat" of the video starts at 0:47).

Husky25

Reaction Score
I am not watching (boycotting) ALL professional sports for the reasons stated in this video:

I am certain that I will be vilified here for taking this stance, but I also believe that it is important for me to exercise MY 1st Amendment right to express this point of view. Please take the time to watch this short video (the "meat" of the video starts at 0:47).

Ironic post drips with irony. Might consider heading to the Cesspool to find out why.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I watched it. I believe Col. Powers missed the entire point and, in fact, ignored the entire point.

Reaction Score

So brave of you.

Reaction Score
Those saying he’s terrible are clueless. I guess Barkley sucks too then. Certainly needs to cut down on his TOs does Jones but he has some nice skills and arm. Line is a disgrace again Dave G needs to go!

He is currently a loser of 9 of 10 games. He’s terrible.

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s a solid explanation after all this would all be on him. Barkley blows too. Lol

Saquan had 13 rushes for 1 yard against the Jets. He was terrible vs. the Steelers. Look at the rush numbers

Saquon vs. Steelers:

YIKES

Reaction Score
Saquan had 13 rushes for 1 yard against the Jets. He was terrible vs. the Steelers. Look at the rush numbers

Saquon vs. Steelers:

YIKES

I said he’s awful who would want him. Lol

I mean all other backs are better than he if they get hit in the backfield 3-5 yards Deep on 15 carries a game. I mean this game has little to do with the OLine and crappy defense your GM puts on the field it’s all on the QB and RB. They both suck hence why they’ve been losing so many games no other reason. :rolleyes:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I said he’s awful who would want him. Lol

I mean all other backs are better than he if they get hit in the backfield 3-5 yards Deep on 15 carries a game. I mean this game has little to do with the OLine and crappy defense your GM puts on the field it’s all on the QB and RB. They both suck hence why they’ve been losing so many games no other reason. :rolleyes:
Whelp. Now he’s hurt.

There goes football season. Not that I had high expectations to begin with.

Back to the Mets game...

Reaction Score
Been watching the open and just checked the scores and hate to read about the possible serious injury to Saguon. Hopefully not as bad as feared.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Which part of the First Amendment protects posts on a privately-owned message board?

Reaction Score
Which part of the First Amendment protects posts on a privately-owned message board?
You may not like it, but I am free to express myself and that right is protected.... If you do not like it then do not read it or just ignore it...

Reaction Score
You may not like it, but I am free to express myself and that right is protected.... If you do not like it then do not read it or just ignore it...
And you posted that in an active thread with discussion ongoing about what is happening in different games. What do you expect lol. This isn't really the best place to post that if you're looking for positive feedback

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey. You could be a Jets fan. They play at home, SF comes from across the country, loses their QB, the NFL's defensive POTY and their #1 RB in the first half.....and they still lose 31-13. Frank Gore with 21 carries for 63 yds!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Help me out here: what protects your right to express yourself on this messageboard?

Reaction Score
Wow, so many injuries for the 49ers today. Bosa, Thomas, Mostert, Garoppolo. Sheesh

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t touch a RB until Rd 3 at the earliest unless an absolute superstar fell into my lap. A lot of our fans are fuming because we didn’t take Dobbins but, as good as he may end up being, it’s just a bad use of a pick in the top 2 rounds. The Giants would be wise to shop Barkley and try to use the return to accelerate the rebuild behind Jones.

I agree.

If they shop Barkley and get a first rounder in a draft with lots of good OL players and then use their own pick for an OL too, that is a way to build with better QB protection and better protection for any of their RBs.

A few years ago, when Brady was out for the season, Matt Cassell put up great numbers because of being around players with a high skill set. Now, the Giants are not in that category, but their receivers are not bad, and neither are the other running backs. Ultimately with a better OL, they should be able to improve.

If they keep Jones, and he has more time to throw and a more credible running game (because of an improved OL), the Giants might return to respectability.

On the other hand.................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom