OT: - First Sunday of NFL Season! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: First Sunday of NFL Season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I sure would not give up on Darnold yet. But he’s an example of why I think you are better off drafting a QB in rounds 2-4 every two years.

I thought my fantasy team was toast. Slight lead coming in to MNF, I have Juju, my opponent has Barkley and Engram. Juju out scoring both of them combined by a lot

Reaction Score
I sure would not give up on Darnold yet. But he’s an example of why I think you are better off drafting a QB in rounds 2-4 every two years.

I think it's more of: don't draft a QB in the first round when you have a terrible OL and no weapons. Darnold is getting David Carr'd. He shouldn't be this bad but poor coaching and no time to throw and no open targets will ruin a young QB.

Meanwhile, someone like Baker Mayfield has OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, a good OL and he's still terrible. At least we know without a shadow of a doubt that he stinks, granted Kitchens was a horrible hire.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think it's more of: don't draft a QB in the first round when you have a terrible OL and no weapons. Darnold is getting David Carr'd. He shouldn't be this bad but poor coaching and no time to throw and no open targets will ruin a young QB.

Meanwhile, someone like Baker Mayfield has OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, a good OL and he's still terrible. At least we know without a shadow of a doubt that he stinks, granted Kitchens was a horrible hire.

Heard a real good (at least I thought it was real good) comment about Mayfield today. He thinks he's Lamarr Jackson and needs to realize in the NFL he is Drew Brees.

We see it in every sport where a player can get by on athleticism and instinct up to a certain point and then they need their skill to reach the top. And Mayfield needs to show he has the skill to be a disciplined pocket passer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Heard a real good (at least I thought it was real good) comment about Mayfield today. He thinks he's Lamarr Jackson and needs to realize in the NFL he is Drew Brees.

We see it in every sport where a player can get by on athleticism and instinct up to a certain point and then they need their skill to reach the top. And Mayfield needs to show he has the skill to be a disciplined pocket passer.

I wouldn’t give up on Mayfield either. But as a Pats fan, I have long believed teams and coaches make QBs great, not the other way around. Certainly they need talent, but a lot of these guys are crazy talented. Very few QBs have gone to bad teams and transformed them into winners.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t give up on Mayfield either. But as a Pats fan, I have long believed teams and coaches make QBs great, not the other way around. Certainly they need talent, but a lot of these guys are crazy talented. Very few QBs have gone to bad teams and transformed them into winners.
For the most part, I agree. It'll be interesante to see what happens with Burrow.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Watching MNF round 2. Yeesh, Lock waving Fant back against the grain, and chucking the cross body pass to him looked like suicide, but he made it work! Go Donkeys!

Reaction Score
Well we can be assured the GMen won’t scare anyone this year yet again. They were awful run blocking last year and somehow they are far worst. Their defense is dreadful at best with DBs who are never near a receiver when he catches the ball. Nice pick up in Martinez at LB from the Pack but seriously that’s it. Have to like what Dan and Saquon can be but once again the GM didn’t help put together a competing OLine or defense. gettelman’s horrific and needs to go please how much longer can the owners watch this crap on the field?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Well we can be assured the GMen won’t scare anyone this year yet again. They were awful run blocking last year and somehow they are far worst. Their defense is dreadful at best with DBs who are never near a receiver when he catches the ball. Nice pick up in Martinez at LB from the Pack but seriously that’s it. Have to like what Dan and Saquon can be but once again the GM didn’t help put together a competing OLine or defense. gettelman’s horrific and needs to go please how much longer can the owners watch this crap on the field?
Dan Jones taken too early instead of an O-Lineman is just one of the gettleman moves that will haunt us for a long time. Only he Giants could make Barkley a below average talent. The game looked like Pitt had 5 more D lineman than the Giants. The Giants will do just well enough to drop to 5-6 in the draft.

And when did Garrett get hired? That actually is a good pickup considering Judge has no HC experience.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Nice win for my Steelers. Looked off early, but that was to be expected given the lack of preseason and Ben needing to re-acclimate. Snell is the real deal and Claypool is going to be fun to watch as he gets more burn in the offense.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Nice win for my Steelers. Looked off early, but that was to be expected given the lack of preseason and Ben needing to re-acclimate. Snell is the real deal and Claypool is going to be fun to watch as he gets more burn in the offense.
Don't get too elated yet. They were just playing the Giants.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
For the most part, I agree. It'll be interesante to see what happens with Burrow.

Burrow will be good. Partly because he's just damned good, and partly because the Bengals aren't completely dysfunctional on offense. They do have some talent. I expect them to let Joe do what he's good at.

What I tend to look for: Is the team finding a QB to fit "its system"? Is the team changing its offensive system to fit the QB it has? The latter is the way you do it. Baltimore, New England, Kansas City, Pittsburgh when they got Ben R, New Orleans. I see signs that Buffalo is properly taking advantage of Josh Allen.

When I look at the Giants I see Jones as Eli light. They plugged him in and haven't changed anything as far as I can tell. Yet is is considerably more mobile than Eli. He had 4 rushing attempts for 22 yards. Maybe bump that up a bit. (Burrow had 8 attempts, Dwayne Haskins 7)

I have no idea what the Jets are doing. I'm not sure they even run the same offense week to week.

Reaction Score
Like Danny think he can be real good. But if you can’t run the ball he will eventually get killed and it’s tough to see them find much of a ground game with that line. Tough year ahead once again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Like Danny think he can be real good. But if you can’t run the ball he will eventually get killed and it’s tough to see them find much of a ground game with that line. Tough year ahead once again.
Just think how differently everything would be if not for that INT. That frigging killed me. And their chances.

Reaction Score
Burrow will be good. Partly because he's just damned good, and partly because the Bengals aren't completely dysfunctional on offense. They do have some talent. I expect them to let Joe do what he's good at.

What I tend to look for: Is the team finding a QB to fit "its system"? Is the team changing its offensive system to fit the QB it has? The latter is the way you do it. Baltimore, New England, Kansas City, Pittsburgh when they got Ben R, New Orleans. I see signs that Buffalo is properly taking advantage of Josh Allen.

When I look at the Giants I see Jones as Eli light. They plugged him in and haven't changed anything as far as I can tell. Yet is is considerably more mobile than Eli. He had 4 rushing attempts for 22 yards. Maybe bump that up a bit. (Burrow had 8 attempts, Dwayne Haskins 7)

I have no idea what the Jets are doing. I'm not sure they even run the same offense week to week.

Jones is terrible. He is 3-11 in his career. He has a turnover in 13 of his 14 games, he has multiple turnovers in 8 of his 14 games, and he has 3+ turnovers in 4 games. He thrives during garbage time. Giants are always down multiple touchdowns and Jones pads his stats during that time. Garbage time DJ is why Giants fans are optimistic about him. Last night was typical DJ.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Jones is terrible. He is 3-11 in his career. He has a turnover in 13 of his 14 games, he has multiple turnovers in 8 of his 14 games, and he has 3+ turnovers in 4 games. He thrives during garbage time. Giants are always down multiple touchdowns and Jones pads his stats during that time. Garbage time DJ is why Giants fans are optimistic about him. Last night was typical DJ.
I hope I'm wrong but imho Jones is not the long term future. He is going to get hammered for a few more years until gettleman is forced to draft an O-line and they play together for a few years. Yes he's more mobile than Eli but that's not guaranteed if he continues to get pummeled. I think someone above likened him to David Carr, or the charactor Keanu Reeves plays in The Replacements!

Reaction Score
Disagree, the team is horrible but he isn't the problem.

Reaction Score
Disagree, the team is horrible but he isn't the problem.
They gave up 20 pressures and our RB’s were hit on average 1.3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Cam Fleming is a literal nightmare, Nick Gates probably just sucks. Andrew Thomas did pretty well, but for what seems like the 10th straight season our line is atrocious.

Reaction Score
Jones made some really nice plays. I have a lot of confidence in him. Not even Aaron Rogers would do much with that line.

Reaction Score
Jones made some really nice plays. I have a lot of confidence in him. Not even Aaron Rogers would do much with that line.

Those saying he’s terrible are clueless. I guess Barkley sucks too then. Certainly needs to cut down on his TOs does Jones but he has some nice skills and arm. Line is a disgrace again Dave G needs to go!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Those saying he’s terrible are clueless. I guess Barkley sucks too then. Certainly needs to cut down on his TOs does Jones but he has some nice skills and arm. Line is a disgrace again Dave G needs to go!
Parcells used to say something to the effect of, "you are what your record says you are."

Barkley may not suck as an individual player, but he gained 6 yards on 15 carries the other night. My opinion remains unchanged from his rookie year. He sucks for the Giants (and I love it!!).

Jury is still out on Jones.

Reaction Score
Parcells used to say something to the effect of, "you are what your record says you are."

Barkley may not suck as an individual player, but he gained 6 yards on 15 carries the other night. My opinion remains unchanged from his rookie year. He sucks for the Giants (and I love it!!).

Jury is still out on Jones.

He does suck for the Giants as would any RB in the NFL but certainly not on him. So speak of it as you may he's certainly one of the best no matter, potentially THE.

Agree on Jones still things to see but many things you do see there's a very good player there. Can he improve on what he needs to and quite honestly just like it is for Saquon can the Giants management put together a line eventually for him to have the time to bet better, or will he die?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say Barkley "sucks". That's silly. If he switched places with Clyde Edward-Hellaire right now, would anyone question him?

The problem for Barkley (and the Giants) is the timing. Where they drafted him, you need to pay him past his rookie contract and that's going to cost you. Does his prime coincide with the rest of the team rebuild? Can Jones develop into a QB that leads a team deep into the playoffs. Does the WR/TE corp develop, or do they draft/acquire the right mix. Can all the pieces come together at the same time Barkley is in his prime and worth the big money. That's the question.

Reaction Score
The league is at a point where I'm not spending a Top 10 pick on an RB even if it's Walter Payton reincarnate. Late first, sure, go for it. I have no interest in paying an RB that kind of money out of the gate.

A lot of teams are best suited for bottom-up rebuilds. Bringing in young QBs or RBs into terrible situations is a risky proposition. See Darnold and Daniel Jones. I don't believe either QB is the long term answer and it's not entirely because they aren't talented enough to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom