First Night | Page 5 | The Boneyard

First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno with the big ole bucket of ice.

"I don't need tonight to know that our freshmen don't know anything about anything because we had two days of practices. And there was nobody in the stands and they could barely get up and down the floor without having a heart attack."

He should win this year's Old Southern Sly Dog Award hands down with that one! The man is in mid-season form! :D

Reaction Score
dff139bacd00_sf_3.jpg
That ship has sailed?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and it's a Friday night, no need to rush home

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You'll have to take me at my word, but I can safely say Molly has easily been the hardest worker since she got here. Girl barely leaves the gym

That was the recruiting dope on all 3 of our frosh.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If you purchase a month's worth of programming on College Sports Live for $10, you can watch the 2 pre-season games (and anything else that's on that appeals to you). Cancel any time.

Thanks Huskyd. I very much want to see the two exhibition games. Up to now, those games were never available on TV to those of us out of the area. I'm like everybody else. I want to see first hand what the girls look like. I was not able to watch first night last evening. I did read all of the comments by those who did, and posted a comment. I was pleased to read that most of the players we've been discussing over the summer looked good, especially the freshmen. Even though it was just a brief glimpse, at least now we have some kind of idea what Geno has to work with this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno with the big ole bucket of ice.

"I don't need tonight to know that our freshmen don't know anything about anything because we had two days of practices. And there was nobody in the stands and they could barely get up and down the floor without having a heart attack."

Well boys and girls, practice has officially started. You can tell because Geno is on the prod. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It is really hard to get anything but general impressions from an event like this, but here are mine:

Gabby will be the most skilled player on the team and can play any position on the floor. Geno will move her around depending on the line up and the opposition. We are going to witness something truly special this year with Gabby.

The three freshmen showed why they were recruited by Uconn...all three impressed and all three could potentally make significant contributions even in their freshman year especially Dangerfield

I did not see any real change in Chong...she may be a reliable sub, but that could be it.

Natalie looks better, but will she be good enough for significant minutes? Can't tell yet.

Kia , Katie Lou and Collier along with Gabby will be a very strong starting group

Reaction Score
Gabby surely impressed. GUNS Dangerfield: great pass on a fast break to Saniya, a three point basket, and a spin move on the baseline that I think left Stevens facing the wrong way.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe she reminds you of Sue Bird or Caroline Doty, a couple of excellent high school soccer players who turned out to be decent UConn basketball players. :)
I hope she has better luck than they had regarding injuries. Bent looks like she handles the ball really well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Didn't UConn recruit someone around 2000 who played soccer and b-ball? Wonder whatever happened to her?
I think it was 1998. You mean the one with the ponytail and 4 Olympic golds? ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is really hard to get anything but general impressions from an event like this, but here are mine:

Gabby will be the most skilled player on the team and can play any position on the floor. Geno will move her around depending on the line up and the opposition. We are going to witness something truly special this year with Gabby.

The three freshmen showed why they were recruited by Uconn...all three impressed and all three could potentally make significant contributions even in their freshman year especially Dangerfield

I did not see any real change in Chong...she may be a reliable sub, but that could be it.

Natalie looks better, but will she be good enough for significant minutes? Can't tell yet.

Kia , Katie Lou and Collier along with Gabby will be a very strong starting group

I like your enthusiasm, but I don't think Gabby can play any of the 5 positions; but, of course, she won't have to do so. Agreed on Saniya. Would, as always, like to be proven wrong.

Your starting group has 4 players. Is there a 5th you'd like to share? ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I propose to sole the problem by nicknaming her KKKK! BTW she did sink a nice 3 early, huh!

Oh, no MW! Doomed. :eek:

I don't mind this, but I didn't post it. I don't even know how to use the feature. Strange.

Reaction Score
I couldn't watch last night because of technical difficulties... But about Molly.

I'm so delighted she impresses. I have to admit that I was sort of sorry that she chose to go to UConn. She almost certainly would have had offers (maybe already did) from Princeton and Brown, and I figured that her future ultimately lay outside basketball and that she would have been wise to accept an offer from one of them, where she could get lots of playing time as well.

But there was such enthusiasm for her by the UConn coaching staff during their discovery and recruiting of her. They really felt that they got a steal in Molly. Sounds as if their assessment will prove out.

I've always said that Professor Auriemma offers one of the toughest and best courses at any school in America, and it's not Tuesday and Thursday from 11:00 to 12:15 for 12-13 weeks, with a couple of required papers read by some graduate student. It's everyday for 2 hours+ in which a team of the very best instructors break you down and build you back up. Molly trusted her instincts, and I'm confident they will be rewarded.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Bent showed the kind of instincts and vision I had seen from her in some games online. There is one play about 4:30 minutes in which Nurse drives the length of the floor and misses a layup with some contact from Butler. Bent is there for the offensive rebound and almost instantaneously passes to Stevens who is close to her for a basket. Bent's 2nd foot hadn't even hit the floor after going up and she was finding Stevens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom