First Night '24-'25

Reaction Score
Lauren Hassell..
1000011975.jpg
1000011974.jpg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was in attendance for First Night and subsequently watched it on TV (I had DVR-ed WFSB's live presentation).

Regarding Ayanna Patterson, when the player intros were being done, she walked out with a sleeve on her left arm but no cast, but soon after that she put on a full sling-type cast that held her left arm in place with the elbow bent (almost as if she had broken the arm, but I haven't heard that she did). She did not play in the "scrimmage" (nor did Azzi, Caroline, or Aubrey).

Azzi and Caroline did participate in the 3-point shooting competition, and they both looked unhampered by any physical limitation. Paige and Allie also represented the women's team in the competition, and I can confirm (as Geno says) that Allie can really shoot the 3-ball. I wonder if her nerves will be as steady when actual games begin. I did not see Aubrey do anything physical (even take a shot during the warmups).

By the way, both the in-arena announcers and the TV broadcaster pronounced her last name as "ZI-bell" (with a long "I" and the accent on the first syllable). I thought I had heard previously that the correct pronunciation is "zuh-BELL" (short "I" and accent on the second syllable). Does anyone know which pronunciation is right? Based on tonight's results, I think her name will be pronounced quite frequently if she sinks one 3 after another, as she did tonight.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was in attendance for First Night and subsequently watched it on TV (I had DVR-ed WFSB's live presentation).

Regarding Ayanna Patterson, when the player intros were being done, she walked out with a sleeve on her left arm but no cast, but soon after that she put on a full sling-type cast that held her left arm in place with the elbow bent (almost as if she had broken the arm, but I haven't heard that she did). She did not play in the "scrimmage" (nor did Azzi, Caroline, or Aubrey).

Azzi and Caroline did participate in the 3-point shooting competition, and they both looked unhampered by any physical limitation. Paige and Allie also represented the women's team in the competition, and I can confirm (as Geno says) that Allie can really shoot the 3-ball. I wonder if her nerves will be as steady when actual games begin. I did not see Aubrey do anything physical (even take a shot during the warmups).

By the way, both the in-arena announcers and the TV broadcaster pronounced her last name as "ZI-bell" (with a long "I" and the accent on the first syllable). I thought I had heard previously that the correct pronunciation is "zuh-BELL" (short "I" and accent on the second syllable). Does anyone know which pronunciation is right? Based on tonight's results, I think her name will be pronounced quite frequently if she sinks one 3 after another, as she did tonight.

I think it's pronounced "Curry." :D

Reaction Score
I was present for her injury. It was her shoulder. She went into the trainers room and spent the rst of practice with an ice pack over her shoulder. The next day her left arm was in a sling, likely to take the weight of her arm off her shoulder.

Reaction Score
I thought this years production was much better than previous seasons. A little trouble with Azzi’s mic, but overall pretty decent.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This year's First Night was better than last years. Totally enjoyed the scrimmage! The men and the women were out there having fun.

Allie Ziebell is a sharpshooter for sure.

Both teams have a lot of depth.

Let the games begin!!

Reaction Score
Allie is going to be a fan favorite. She already seems to have Paige’s full support. I wonder if she had any idea she’d be welcomed onto the big stage like this. I imagine it’s a very heady experience.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The link under FULL REPLAYS on UCONN+ is working for me on my phone.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% about Allie being a sharpshooter. This is the first time I've seen her play and I believe she is going to be a star at UCONN.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% about Allie being a sharpshooter. This is the first time I've seen her play and I believe she is going to be a star at UCONN.
Yes, she seems like a slightly more athletic KML

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno's positive message on Kaitlyn yesterday:

“Kaitlyn Chen, it's not an easy thing to walk in here not ever having played for us, but you played four years of basketball, and now you're not quite sure, like, ‘How do I handle that? Do I act like a veteran, or am I a rookie?’” Auriemma said. “Lately she's found her voice, and that's really, really helped us, and it's helped Paige. I think people are going to be surprised by how much she gets done on the court.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Morgan Cheli is very solidly built and plays intelligently. She looks like she will be quite strong (no pun intended), but below average in both speed and quickness. There has been talk of her playing as a point guard, but I doubt that she could guard fast and/or quick opponents without getting beat regularly.

I think her true calling may be in the front court. I'm not sure about her leaping ability (I'm guessing it's nothing to write home to California about), but if it is even adequate, I can see her being a rebounding force. I think she could play under the basket and out to 10 or 12 feet as a reliable shooter and passer.

If Ayanna is temporarily laid up (along with Aubrey and Caroline), she may get her chance at the 4 position in the early part of the season. I would expect Jana and Sarah to be the starters at the two front court positions, with Ice as the backup 5 and (for now) perhaps Morgan as the backup 4.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Jana and Paige at least with sunglasses. The glare of the spot lites?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom