First game thread of the season: UConn v. Stanford | Page 14 | The Boneyard

First game thread of the season: UConn v. Stanford

Reaction Score
Didn't see the game as I was in the air on a flight during the game and didn't have a way to watch the game. I'll take the win.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Night and day, first half second half. Loved the first, hated the second.

Outrebounded for the game and outscored in the third and fourth quarters.
It was almost like they rested on their laurels after a sterling first half.
Many speculated that with the deep bench, Geno would press more but I only saw that once and it seemed half-hearted.
I agree with an early post about Bent. Their offense all but disappears when she's in the game.

I think they will be deep later in the season. I don't think they really are yet. Too many newer players learning the system. No surprise that the key rotation was tight tonight.

As for Bent she was out there with some newer players and they're all getting to know each other. And not every player we recruit and get in uniform is a Top 10 talent. It's nice to have some players content with a small role. If Bent was a blockbuster player she would probably want out to get more PT. I love having kids like her on the roster.

Reaction Score
I adopt Geno's working conviction that the margin of victory is utterly beside the point; he focuses on the quality of his team's effort and execution. In this case, yes, UConn missed a bunch of relatively close-in shots which would have widened the margin, and that might be a function of inadequate focus. I will bet, however, that he will demanding better rebounding— defensive and offensive— and better screens and player movement off the ball. But, hey, it was game one and against a team that has in the past found ways to disrupt UConn's offense.

Defense: A, especially in first half.

On the other hand, the lack of timely info from the ESPN announcers was disappointing, especially given two former players who usually add information and comment ON THE GAME.

The announcers for Ohio State and Louisville were ridiculous chatting away laughing over plays and scores by each team.

Reaction Score
There is a reason why freshman do not take over games at UConn generally. They have to learn how to play as a team on offense and defense. Teams like TN (and most programs) allow free lancing so talented kids can handle it but it only gets you so far. It wont be pretty when they face a UConn type defense and the coach actually has to do something clever.
I just spit out my drink.. thank you very much... never use TN and clever in the same sentence again.... :p

Reaction Score
I couldn't help but notice that Geno used the "triple adjective" when he described the 1st half defense as, "really, really, really good." I believe it doesn't get any better than that, unless someone on the BY can remember anytime Geno used more than 3 "really's" to describe something?

holding a supposed top ten team to 14 points is "really, really, really good"............ I'm sure he would say that the second half defense was really, really, really, really bad.............

Reaction Score
I just spit out my drink.. thank you very much... never use TN and clever in the same sentence again.... :p

This may sound impossible to believe but Tenn actually looked like a real basketball team in their opener.

Reaction Score
This may sound impossible to believe but Tenn actually looked like a real basketball team in their opener.
I didn't watch it today, but like I said, i was impressed with their frosh the other day

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s difficult to gauge just how good a good team is when they overwhelm a mid-major team like Stetson (TX), Coppin St (Baylor) or ETSU (TN). Need to see the Lady Vols against a ranked team or SEC foe to see if they’re for real.

Reaction Score
Very exciting to have big time non conference uconn basketball back!!

After today it puts The Who's going to start debate to bed. I was strongly in the CD had to start camp and now everyone knows why. CD was awesome tonight on both ends of the court. I'm so proud of her tonight.

I think tonight is a good starting point. Clearly we were not in mid season form but for the first game, on the road we did pretty good.

Kia and NC had tough games. Kia was just a tad off but NC seemed out of position? Not sure if she was suppose to be on the perimeter as much?

I feel bad every time I watch MW play I don't see that number 1 caliber player. What am I missing? She certainly looks the part but I haven't seen elite level play. Granted I've only watched all star games, pre season games and tonight.

Reaction Score
holding a supposed top ten team to 14 points is "really, really, really good".. I'm sure he would say that the second half defense was really, really, really, really bad...
I think, Charlieball, that he called off the horses in the 2nd half: they stopped playing their intensive half-court press and were content to trade baskets (or even loss the trade-off). Geno didn't want to humiliate Tara.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I think, Charlieball, that he called off the horses in the 2nd half: they stopped playing their intensive half-court press and were content to trade baskets (or even loss the trade-off). Geno didn't want to humiliate Tara.

Geno's postgame comments indicate he didn't call off much of anything. They just played a bad half--stop playing hard according to Geno.

Reaction Score
t NC seemed out of position? Not sure if she was suppose to be on the perimeter as much?
interesting point. In a read-and-react motion offense, of course, there are no set positions (esp. if it's 5-0, which they play). So perhaps we saw Pheesa taking more outside shots than usual, and it gave the impression of her being outside more. Gabby certainly shot more from the outside. But it may have been that there wasn't as sharp a movement in the motion part, and maybe Pheesa did end up "stuck" at the top more.

Reaction Score
Geno's postgame comments indicate he didn't call off much of anything. They just played a bad half--stop playing hard according to Geno.
well, of course, he's going to say that. far more humiliating to Stanford than his calling off the dogs is telling the world that he did just that. I think they pressed at lot less and jumped many fewer passing lanes in the 2nd 1/2, so perhaps it was more subtle.

Reaction Score

maybe there's some truth to that but from the look on Geno's face he didn't seem to be a happy camper..........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes, but was their opponent a real basketball team?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

maybe there's some truth to that but from the look on Geno's face he didn't seem to be a happy camper.....

Well I think a little of both is true. I think he did change the "scheme" to more of a half court game but at the same time I do not think he was happy with the result.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well I think a little of both is true. I think he did change the "scheme" to more of a half court game but at the same time I do not think he was happy with the result.
Yeah, Geno said he changed the defense, but the team didn't implement it well. They seemed to challenge the passing lanes far less. We totally disrupted the Stanford offense in the first 20 minutes. They got open shots in the final 20 minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah, Geno said he changed the defense, but the team didn't implement it well. They seemed to challenge the passing lanes far less. We totally disrupted the Stanford offense in the first 20 minutes. They got open shots in the final 20 minutes.

I think in the beginning of the 2nd half, they were challenging but Stanford looked better using back door cuts a few times and scored a few easy looks. I think UConn went passive after that.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
interesting point. In a read-and-react motion offense, of course, there are no set positions (esp. if it's 5-0, which they play). So perhaps we saw Pheesa taking more outside shots than usual, and it gave the impression of her being outside more. Gabby certainly shot more from the outside. But it may have been that there wasn't as sharp a movement in the motion part, and maybe Pheesa did end up "stuck" at the top more.
I, too, had the impression that Pheesa either wasn't setting up in the low post or wasn't getting the ball there because those turnaround five-foot bank shots weren't prevalent. Curious.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Did UConn play any zone? I though Geno might experiment with some of that once the game was in hand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom