First game thread of the season: UConn v. Stanford | Page 15 | The Boneyard

First game thread of the season: UConn v. Stanford

Reaction Score
This may sound impossible to believe but Tenn actually looked like a real basketball team in their opener.
ETSU had their point guard and best player out with a broken nose. Further, they couldn't make a layup or an open shot. Plus they were way over matched in height.

No doubt TN is better than last year, but how much better can't be determined by the two cream puffs the have played so far. Their play to date has been street ball and their problems of last year are still evident. E.g, their Assist/TO ratio.

It looked to me like the 4 freshmen got a reality check, that it wasn't going to be as easy as they thought. We'll see on Dec. 10th when they first play a quality team.

Reaction Score
Yes, but was their opponent a real basketball team?
No East Tenn St was without their star player who is s Dawn Stacey nominee for best point guard in the country. Had her nose broken early in the game.
Tenn looks different. Even verse inferior competition last year they looked lousy. They played well together.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I re-watched the first half and enjoyed it very much.
It was a tale of two halves. UConn beat the dickens out of Stanford in the first half and slept through the revolution in the second half. Sacre bleu!

Reaction Score
So what you're saying is , "It was the best of halves. It was the worst of halves." :rolleyes:
Watched the recording last night and got a different view of 2nd half. With 5 minutes left in 3rd Qtr, UConn up by 41, with about 5 minutes left in game, UConn up over 30. This was despite Stanford hitting high percentage of 3's from all over court. Geno definitely took his foot off gas and did little coaching at end of game.

Reaction Score
Watched the recording last night and got a different view of 2nd half. With 5 minutes left in 3rd Qtr, UConn up by 41, with about 5 minutes left in game, UConn up over 30. This was despite Stanford hitting high percentage of 3's from all over court. Geno definitely took his foot off gas and did little coaching at end of game.

Smart play by Geno. He obviously knows what he's doing. It's a bad look to pour it on to the end.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Smart play by Geno. He obviously knows what he's doing. It's a bad look to pour it on to the end.

They didn't have to do that but trading baskets once they were up by forty would have been OK by me and couldn't be as unseemly as running the margin up, IMHO. The meltdown wasn't a pretty thing to watch and I'm sure the team didn't like it one bit.

Reaction Score
Very exciting to have big time non conference uconn basketball back!!

After today it puts The Who's going to start debate to bed. I was strongly in the CD had to start camp and now everyone knows why. CD was awesome tonight on both ends of the court. I'm so proud of her tonight.

I think tonight is a good starting point. Clearly we were not in mid season form but for the first game, on the road we did pretty good.

Kia and NC had tough games. Kia was just a tad off but NC seemed out of position? Not sure if she was suppose to be on the perimeter as much?

I feel bad every time I watch MW play I don't see that number 1 caliber player. What am I missing? She certainly looks the part but I haven't seen elite level play. Granted I've only watched all star games, pre season games and tonight.

When she is the best player on the court like she was on Sunday-- no argument from me!!!!!:):):)

Reaction Score
Thanks buddy. Good post

She was incredible. All over the court defensively in the 1st half and complete "money" drilling shots. I saw her one game during the summer and she was clunking perimeter shots. She looks so fluid. I guess everything looks great when the ball is going through the hoop. And she is a gifted passer. This year she could really be a 1st all-american. The ball is going to be in her hands a lot. What a player we saw - and maybe can be throughout the season. This team is going to be just super. How lucky are we?

Reaction Score
She was incredible. All over the court defensively in the 1st half and complete "money" drilling shots. I saw her one game during the summer and she was clunking perimeter shots. She looks so fluid. I guess everything looks great when the ball is going through the hoop. And she is a gifted passer. This year she could really be a 1st all-american. The ball is going to be in her hands a lot. What a player we saw - and maybe can be throughout the season. This team is going to be just super. How lucky are we?

Very lucky. There's only one uconn and it will not last forever. As long as Geno and CD have the passion it will continue. I hope Geno has one more contract extension in him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom