OT: - first album, first track | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: first album, first track

Reaction Score
Interesting, she sounds a little bit like Natalie Merchant.
Yes she does. It's easier to understand her though. ;)

As an aside, Mary played violin and contributed backing vocals on the MTV Unplugged 10,000 Maniacs live album, the last recording the group made with Natalie Merchant as their lead singer.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I finally came up with something to contribute. Kasey Chambers' solo debut album, The Captain, came when she was in her early 20s. I only found out years later that she'd been in the Dead Ringer Band with various family members for several years previous, dating back to when she was 16 or so. She was the lead vocalist for the band. Anyway while this probably isn't the best song from her album, the first track is a good one. Nashville sat up and took notice for a little while, then promptly ignored the rest of her sterling career (cuz Nashville is dumb and that's what they do).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think what was throwing me off is that a lot of times it wasn't the first track, first album that drew me to an artist. Sometimes I became aware of them midstream. Or it was the first single that got me, which often isn't the first track. So if I ignore when or how I became aware of them, I've thought of a few more to add.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Emmylou Harris released a version of this song first, but Gillian wrote it and it's the first track on her debut album.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm leaning country/folk so far, mostly fairly simplistic songs. But sometimes simple is just right. This whole debut album, it kinda sounded familiar on first listen even though I hadn't heard it before. I kind of thought of it like a pair of jeans or a shoes that fit just right the first time you try them on, no break-in period needed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd say the title track from this album kinda blew people away, although the first track is fine too. This duo didn't last long, 2 albums (and they broke up IMMEDIATELY after the release of the second). There was an emotional intensity to their music that's fairly uncommon.

I have to link Barton Hollow just because...

The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There are apparently a few different versions of this debut album, with different track listings. I think this is first track? Anyway, Dwight had plenty of success in country music but I think he was always a bit outside the Nashville mainstream and did things his own way.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, one more, definitely not country. This band I discovered long after they got started and I heard some of their later stuff before I went back and heard their earlier work. They had one album before what I was assuming was their first. This is the first album, first track, not one you hear much. They've changed their style quite a bit over the years, varies from album to album.

Reaction Score
Thread drift on the Boneyard? Shocked, I'm shocked!
That deserved an extra like... ;)
Start with one that can't be left out ....

Janis was and will always be a favorite of mine but that is Big Brother And The Holding Company featuring her, first song on the album.
I was younger and just starting my record collection and sad to say I was late to the party with Janis.
The Pearl album came out posthumously, as the first song on an album that any one of them could have been the first or last. The rare occasion when you never skip a song.
Janis Joplin - Move Over lyrics

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Officially ended the late 80s/early 90s phase of “hair band” metal/rock & started the popularization of “grunge”.

Only 1 billion+ views on YouTube -

Reaction Score
Officially ended the late 80s/early 90s phase of “hair band” metal/rock & started the popularization of “grunge”.
Sorry, couldn’t miss the opportunity to post the Weird Al version

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Okay, one more, definitely not country. This band I discovered long after they got started and I heard some of their later stuff before I went back and heard their earlier work. They had one album before what I was assuming was their first. This is the first album, first track, not one you hear much. They've changed their style quite a bit over the years, varies from album to album.

After Forever was the band that got me hooked on symphonic metal. I was probably in my 50’s, and they’d already broken up. I saw Floor Jansen compared to Annie Haslam (Renaissance) in youtube comments. I’m really glad I checked her out.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
5th song on debut, but first for me.
'today I don't feel like doing anything...' *
preach!

*Sam Clemens approved.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Unfortunately that was 1st song on their 2nd album. They had released "Bleach" 2 years earlier.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That deserved an extra like... ;)
Start with one that can't be left out ....

Janis was and will always be a favorite of mine but that is Big Brother And The Holding Company featuring her, first song on the album.
I was younger and just starting my record collection and sad to say I was late to the party with Janis.
The Pearl album came out posthumously, as the first song on an album that any one of them could have been the first or last. The rare occasion when you never skip a song.
Janis Joplin - Move Over lyrics

At the Filmore, they were introduced as "Four gentleman, and one great, great broad. Big brother and the Holding Company. " Bill Graham on Cheap Thrills.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Steve Earle's debut album, "Guitar Town,' was released in 1986, and rose to the top of the country music charts.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
At the Filmore, they were introduced as "Four gentleman, and one great, great broad. Big brother and the Holding Company. " Bill Graham on Cheap Thrills.
I'm notoriously bad at hearing stuff on records. I've been trying to figure out what he's saying there for 50 years. Thanks!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately that was 1st song on their 2nd album. They had released "Bleach" 2 years earlier.

Yes, I do realize that. Somewhat of a technicality point as Bleach was made for like $600. and really was only locally distributed in the NW. More like a demo tape ;)

Without the internet like we have today, 99.999% of America had never heard of them prior to Nevermind (their "big label" 1st album debut.).

And FWIW, "Blew" also was a banger of a 1st song on a first album :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, I do realize that. Somewhat of a technicality point as Bleach was made for like $600. and really was only locally distributed in the NW. More like a demo tape ;)

Without the internet like we have today, 99.999% of America had never heard of them prior to Nevermind (their "big label" 1st album debut.).

And FWIW, "Blew" also was a banger of a 1st song on a first album :)

Well it was an LP as opposed to an EP. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom