OT: - first album, first track | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: first album, first track

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who knew they'd make it so big? The Ramones!
If only they made so big. I must have seen them a half dozen times at the Agora and they were always on the small stage. The Plasmatics and Missing Persons were on the big stage for cryin' out loud.

Reaction Score
U2 - The Album - Boy - the Song "I Will Follow" Just a great great debut album

Agreed! I was at their first show in America. November 1980 at The Ritz on East 11th Street, right after Boy came out. The place was packed and abuzzz...we all knew.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Robert Palmer was someone who kind of defied categorization, but pretty much everything he did was funky in some way:

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
The Band - “Tears of Rage” - Music From Big Pink

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Santana's first three albums were as good as any three albums anyone put together. That three-man percussion section with Gregg Rolie and Carlos Santana was a sound I could listen to all the time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sturgill Simpson came along and flipped the bird to Bro Country.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good first number. Unfortunately the lead singer Phil Campbell recently left the band. :(

Only Friend - The Temperance Movement

Reaction Score
A little bit of a story behind this choice. I was looking for something to do for fun with my wife as she was bored and getting on me for never planning anything fun to do. I have always enjoyed listening to music and she was singing in a semi professional chorus (The Handel Choir of Baltimore) at the time, so I started poking around looking for a small venue with talented but maybe not so familiar artists. I started poking around on the "Dirty Linen" website that covered the folk and roots music scene in the Baltimore/Washington area and came across a show by "John and Mary" at a place called the Iota Cafe in Arlington Virginia. The description of the duo, John Lombardo from 10,000 Maniacs (who left the band right before they made it big) and Mary Ramsey as two musicians who brought modern takes to traditional English folk songs in addition to original material sounded interesting.

Their live show was excellent. Of course, CD's were on sale at the show. The first track of their first CD just reinforced what we got out of their first show and we have been fans ever since through four albums as the duo of "John and Mary" and another four through their joining "10,000 Maniacs" (or rejoining them in John Lombardo's case). for nearly 30 years now.

From Victory Gardens, track one "Red Wooden Beads."

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
first song, first released us album.
'it's a little bit funny, this feeling inside..'

someone else must like him too, since I hear that only elvis has more top 40 hits here.
'how wonderful life is, while you're in the world.'

Last edited:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I like Sina's version, she added a percussion portion to it.

Well, I have to say she has taken a masterpiece and created another masterpiece. Different but a masterpiece nevertheless. Thank you for the link. I am going to list to more of her music!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Rickie Lee Jones won a Grammy Award in 1979 for 'Best New Artist.' This is the first track on her eponymous album titled, "Rickie Lee Jones.'

Factoid: The Chuck E referred to in the song is a real person. Rickie Lee Jones was living with Tom Waits at the time. Waits is good friends with Chuck E Weiss, a fixture on the LA music scene. Weiss had fallen for a girl and suddenly moved to (IIRC) Colorado to follow her. Rickie Lee hadn't seen him in awhile, asked Waits where he was, and Waits responded, "Chuck E's in love." The relationship didn't last long, but the song certainly has.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A little bit of a story behind this choice. I was looking for something to do for fun with my wife as she was bored and getting on me for never planning anything fun to do. I have always enjoyed listening to music and she was singing in a semi professional chorus (The Handel Choir of Baltimore) at the time, so I started poking around looking for a small venue with talented but maybe not so familiar artists. I started poking around on the "Dirty Linen" website that covered the folk and roots music scene in the Baltimore/Washington area and came across a show by "John and Mary" at a place called the Iota Cafe in Arlington Virginia. The description of the duo, John Lombardo from 10,000 Maniacs (who left the band right before they made it big) and Mary Ramsey as two musicians who brought modern takes to traditional English folk songs in addition to original material sounded interesting.

Their live show was excellent. Of course, CD's were on sale at the show. The first track of their first CD just reinforced what we got out of their first show and we have been fans ever since through four albums as the duo of "John and Mary" and another four through their joining "10,000 Maniacs" (or rejoining them in John Lombardo's case). for nearly 30 years now.

From Victory Gardens, track one "Red Wooden Beads."

Interesting, she sounds a little bit like Natalie Merchant.

Reaction Score
ground zero for them
'you get a shiver in the dark
it's been raining in the park,
but meantime...'

fuhghettabootit. smooooooooooth.
i think ‘Down to the Waterline’ was track 1. Both great tracks ... “C’mon”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics