Fire the Refs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fire the Refs

Reaction Score
There were 3 critical plays that cost Troy the game. Thats alot of points something like a possible 10 pts plus turnaround points. We need replays when coaches challenge calls.
please let let the head coach onve time/game to challange the ref calls like Volleyball Game .
really sad when going to the close game and didnt lose to the opponent but ref

Reaction Score
so someone above said control is not in the rule. What is the rule???

Reaction Score
So in addition to the weight training facilities, the court logo, the more accurate testing, the decent food and good swag bags, did the men's tournament also get all the competent refs?

Reaction Score
This is the relevant portion of the rule book. According to parts 7 and 8, it all depends on exactly where on the floor the player was when she established control, in this case by starting a dribble.
1616507527749.png

Reaction Score

Blatant missed call ends No. 15 Troy's historic March Madness upset bid​

The Aggies extended their lead to four on free throws by Destiny Pitts and only had to inbound to get back to the line, likely keeping their lead with 4.5 seconds on the clock. But the Aggies appeared to commit an over-and-back that wasn't called.

Pitts came back to halfcourt to grab the ball and was sandwiched by two Troy defenders. Her hand clearly touched the ball in the frontcourt and she grabbed it again in the backcourt on the ESPN broadcast. Though the referees went to the table multiple times in the final minutes to get the clock right, they didn't review the call.

Troy would have had the ball back with about two seconds on the clock and would have had a chance at the historic upset. The Trojans could have easily gotten a shot off with their quick pace of play the used to control much of the game. The Aggies had also just fouled on a 3-point play seconds prior.

Reaction Score
I just looked at the Over and Back and Backcourt violation rule and I didn’t see anything about control or possession. It only mentions touching. She obviously touched it and touched it last before it went into the backcourt, where she touched it again. That’s a backcourt violation. Maybe I missed something.
Based on the refs interpretation, you can go backcourt as long as you don’t have control. Which means that there would never be a backcourt call because no one would intentionally go Backcourt with the ball.

You need to take a closer look. It definitely says that control is mandatory for there to be a call. Relevant NCAA rules:

"A player shall not be the first to touch the ball in their backcourt (with any part of their body, voluntarily or involuntarily) when the ball came from the frontcourt while that player’s team was in team control and that player or their teammate was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt."
". Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the backcourt before player control has been established by the throw-in team on the playing court."
"After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the frontcourt, who is not in control of the ball, may cause the ball to go into the backcourt."

And you are misinterpreting "control". That means the last team to have control inbounds before the play happens. In this case, since they were inbounding the ball, neither team had had control.

Reaction Score

Blatant missed call ends No. 15 Troy's historic March Madness upset bid​

The Aggies extended their lead to four on free throws by Destiny Pitts and only had to inbound to get back to the line, likely keeping their lead with 4.5 seconds on the clock. But the Aggies appeared to commit an over-and-back that wasn't called.

Pitts came back to halfcourt to grab the ball and was sandwiched by two Troy defenders. Her hand clearly touched the ball in the frontcourt and she grabbed it again in the backcourt on the ESPN broadcast. Though the referees went to the table multiple times in the final minutes to get the clock right, they didn't review the call.

Troy would have had the ball back with about two seconds on the clock and would have had a chance at the historic upset. The Trojans could have easily gotten a shot off with their quick pace of play the used to control much of the game. The Aggies had also just fouled on a 3-point play seconds prior.

I hate articles written by people who clearly don't know the rule. Where she was when she "touched" the ball is totally irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know are the Ref’s calls reviewed after games by higher authorities...it will not change the game results but it will keep all ref’s accountable in future games..just my thoughts.

Yes, they are always evaluated by some level of assessor after all of these games.

Btw, the NCAA's national coordinator of officiating spent some time reviewing the play afterwards. She accurately thought it was a very close call, that could have gone either way. Nothing to ding the refs on.

"Penny Davis, NCAA national coordinator of officiating, said game officials were in the right place to determine whether Pitts had possession before taking the ball into the backcourt in the final seconds.

“This was an extremely close play. The officials judged that control of the basketball was not gained until the Texas A&M player was in the backcourt. It was as close as they come. No camera or person had a better angle on the play than the official,” Davis said.

Reaction Score
I very seldom give the refs any trouble because they are in a no win position most of the time. But, The Troy loss shows how completely incompetent officials can do amazing damage to a very gifted hard working underdog.

Inaccurate and unfair statement.

Reaction Score
Overall, I think the refs in the the NCAAW games are too involved. Ticky Tacky fouls, etc.

Let the kids play. Blatant fouls, sure, but there was a lot of weak weak fouls in the UConn / HP game. On both sides.

Reaction Score
Here's something I find odd about the rules. (not the Refs fault.) How can they spend 10 minutes watching game video to determine whether to add a tenth of a second to the game clock, but can't review a questionable foul call or non-call? Coaches should be given a challenge like in football. They need to get it right.
Seems like a lot of away from the ball calls are being made in the women's game, real choppy play and hard to watch. If we could let the players determine who wins it might be a better game.

Reaction Score
I very seldom give the refs any trouble because they are in a no win position most of the time. But, The Troy loss shows how completely incompetent officials can do amazing damage to a very gifted hard working underdog.
I have brought up this referee incompetence a number of times, . A great team can be cheated out of a game or a Championship by a incompetent referee or officials. Remember the call most recently when the opposing team lost the ball before their time ran out on a play. We had recovered the ball & a fast break developed & our player was raising down the court for a easy unopposed basket. The time ref. stopped the play because the opposing team time had ran out, even though they no longer possession ! Picture this, if it had turned out to be the winning basket for a game or Championship !

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The head coach of Troy University women's basketball team is publicly stating that poor officiating cost them a shot at the game. Not just the disputed over and back, but two other plays late in the game went against them. The discrepancy between team total fouls was quite large, and Troy had at least one player foul out on a questionable call. I generally dismiss a complaining coach. But this one ,among several others, was just terrible. I wonder if poor pay has had an effect upon the quality of officials. In a "normal" year, there would not have been a need for so many officials in a relatively small geographical area. Perhaps compensation kept better refs from traveling to San Antonio?

Reaction Score
The listed refs were Darren Krzesnik, Infini Robinson, and Felicia Grinter. Grinter has done a Final Four, and Robinson called a regional final in 2019. This wasn't B-team refs, it was an indictment of the women's basketball officiating in general.

Reaction Score
Somebody please post the calls in the 4th qtr of Troy and Texas AM Troy driving the lane and getting called for a charge the announcers went nuts when the replay was played more then once. Then the Troy player driving the land getting clobbered by TAM player and the worst of all with seconds left TAM throws the ball in and the TAM player fumbles the ball and dribbles over half court onto the other side and is dribbling and no over and back call. TAM won. Fire those REFS. Please someone post those 3 plays late in the 4th qtr.
Troy was robbed. Plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Chelsea Dungee is a great player, but she gets more calls, than any player I've ever seen play, than she deserves. She starts to flop before she even gets "fouled."

Reaction Score
Overall, I think the refs in the the NCAAW games are too involved. Ticky Tacky fouls, etc.

Let the kids play. Blatant fouls, sure, but there was a lot of weak weak fouls in the UConn / HP game. On both sides.
Same. The women's games are called too tight. Way too tight.

Reaction Score
This is the worst call - even more so than the backcourt violation.
As a basketball referee I will tell you that there was no backcourt violation. Look at the replay and you will see that the dribbler did not gain control until she was in the backcourt. Merely touching the ball in the forecourt does NOT constitute possession. When she first touched the ball followed by the first bounce in forecourt, there was no possession yet. That was not a "dribble". This situation was no different than if the inbounder threw the ball directly to a teammate in the backcourt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom