Fire PP | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fire PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But you make no mention of the porous o-line that all those playmakers need to make plays. I believe we are at the point that the best adjustment maybe to just sit so guys and pea for the best with their replacements.

Who's coaching the O-Line again??

Reaction Score
Who's coaching the O-Line again??

If they are physically incapable of holding a block - is there another option? And for those who say the o-line sits there with no coaching - Foley (with headset on) is there whenever they are on the bench.

I have no problem pulling the o-line responsibility away from GDL and putting back under Foley tomorrow. I'm sure Foley is doing more than coaching Griffin and Delahunt anyways.

Reaction Score
Zone blocking is not an easy or fun thing to do. May not be the right guys for the blocking scheme the old man has tried to implement.

Reaction Score
Zone blocking is not an easy or fun thing to do. May not be the right guys for the blocking scheme the old man has tried to implement.

They seemed to do better for most of the game in pass blocking which is the zone if I remember my younger days... My sense is 2 of the 6 sacks were on QB for holding ball too long. They do not appear to have the footwork for run blocking. There is more here than a stubborn old George.

Reaction Score
You guys are really reaching to blame this one in the coach. You wanted passing on first down you got it. You wanted a balanced offense I believe we passed more than we ran today.

What we saw was an offense in its infancy. I knew whitmer and the Recievers need time to gel. It is their first season together. To expect a wv offense in year one is so unrealistic it isn't funny. It will be good but in a few years so I see reason for optimism

Our defense got its but kicked when it needed to shine Noone mad at don brown. But we are supposedly elite vs the run and we got manhandled today.

Special teams and defensive pressure and creating turnovers. Where have u gone ? I guess Jesse and teddy were bigger losses than I thought because that when it seems the defense weakened significantly. Field goal kicker had a bad day. You could argue for the freshman but this guys missing slightly longer than extra points.

Go ahead and cry for a new coach but if you can convince yourself this loss was on coaching and play calling you saw a different game than me.

The offensive play calling was fine until they stuck the stupid wild cat in...talk about a buzz kill formation.

Reaction Score
I resent the fact that PP has been allowed (and still is in the process) of wrecking UConn football. Program is back to where it was in 2000 ( after Tracey) got hurt. I would be in favor of PP never being allowed to coach football anywhere.
They really should change the opening video from fastest growing BCS program, to quickest free falling program in BCS history

Reaction Score
I have zero doubt he or they will be gone. They can't afford to have less that 20,000 season ticket holders with small walk up crowds.

Let's just say Warde has already taken charge.
The profit they make from selling beer for one game should be enough for the buyout.

Reaction Score
We did lose to BC's #1 all-time rusher yesterday. We beat ourselves on offense with the missed FGs.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
If they are physically incapable of holding a block - is there another option? And for those who say the o-line sits there with no coaching - Foley (with headset on) is there whenever they are on the bench.

I have no problem pulling the o-line responsibility away from GDL and putting back under Foley tomorrow. I'm sure Foley is doing more than coaching Griffin and Delahunt anyways.
This would actually worry me, if so.

I REALLY don't want to give the crochety old b@st@rds a way to weasel out of this. I don't want them to say, "my hard work with these kids was undone" by Foley and Brown... and then have them quit or get fired.

I understand we may lose staff if another coach is brought in, and we STILL may lose those guys, but for God's sake, let not lose them an keep the others.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm just thinking Warde and Herbs may think we're in a rebuilding process... I hope they're not thinking that way, BUT it is Uconn! They probably feel bad for these dinosaur's and give them one more year...

This is why it is to UConn's benefit that Manuel has a legitimate football background. PP could try to tell someone like Hathaway "things are progressing now, we are building, if you understood football you would see this". Manuel would just say "I do understand football and played it at a school that took it very seriously. This is not progress!".

And for the record, our president knows exactly how disappointing our offense (and overall results) are.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, are you confident that GDL is gone after this year? In the interest of full disclosure, I wanted him gone weeks ago. I just have a funny feeling in my gut, similar to diarrhea, that he will be allowed one more year...
Wanna get even more sick watch the Addazio video interview on the Courant site from game yesterday,ugh! Would've,could've ,should've .

Reaction Score
I have zero doubt he or they will be gone. They can't afford to have less that 20,000 season ticket holders with small walk up crowds.

Let's just say Warde has already taken charge.

Bingo. Warde will toss PP on 12/2.

Who should he hire to restore the trajectory of this program?

Reaction Score
Bingo. Warde will toss PP on 12/2.

Who should he hire to restore the trajectory of this program?

I'd like to see Josh McDaniels, he can run an offense and has passion, just look at how pumped he was when the broncos beat the pats a few years ago.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Let's just say Warde has already taken charge.[/quote

If Warde doesn't force this change, he'll have lost credibility and have joined (if not topped) Paul and George on the "He Must Go" list...

Reaction Score
Removing the blue glasses says these guys have one more year. I don't think we are a bug enough to where we can't have a few losing seasons so we have to accept it and cheer for the team. I do believe that the players like pasqualoni. We just need a better offense and removing Deleone would be a first step and that may happen sooner.
I don't think anyone thought okeefe and ferentz could be separated but it happened. I would like to see a new oc and line coach before p goes. He is a Connecticut guy and a defensive coach and I think he can be successful here with a new oc

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UConn average 380 yards of offense a game the rest of the season, there is no chance that Deleone or Pasqualoni will be fired.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Sorry, Sportsart, didnt intend to edit your post. Intended to note that Warde's seat will be at least as hot as PP/GL if they are all back in 2013.

Reaction Score
They coaches still needs to go! We're better than a 3-4 team![/quote
Phillips, Williams, Davis and Griffin can catch the ball. Whitmer is more than an adequate thrower. McCombs can run the ball at times. People need to stop saying we don't have playmakers.

We have playmakers that coaches don't know how to use.

We have low D1A playmakers. Those guys with the possible exception of RG wouldn't sniff the two deep at the majority of BCS programs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still remember the early-mid 1980's and some of the ambitions that Toner had for our school, which mostly fell on deaf ears as at that time many (who had decision making power) viewed UConn aspiring to be a major academic and athletic school nationally was folly. Gampel was built with many within the state (including most who lived locally in Mansfield) protesting the building as well as intentionally deceiving many as to the initial (and eventual) capacity of the building out of fear of derailing the project.

From what I understand there are some very large ambitions for our school (and, believe it or not our football program) but similar to what happened in the mid 1990's where it required (considerable) success from the basketball programs to get the school's highest level administrators fully supportive of a plan to take to the state's decision makers (which led to the football upgrade, UConn 2000, later 21st century UConn). At the moment, much of these ambitions do not yet have full support from within the school (something necessary to reach these goals) and the football program (including eventual capacity expansion at the Rent) will be the key to this (as the basketball programs were nearly two decades ago).

I don't believe that those in charge will put up with much more than this and I fully believe that regardless of what happens throughout the remainder of the season, PP will need to convince SH & WM that he is moving the program in the right direction and at an acceptable pace. What has happened over the past 1 1/2+ seasons and what does happen over the next couple of months will play a very large role in whether PP can convince them.

Reaction Score
I would fire HC OC DC at the season's end. The program needs to be swept clean and get a completely different mind set. I don't have a name for hc, but I would look for a hungry assistant from the sec or big 12 ( Texas schools ). I'd give him a 5 year contract . I'd put a marginal effort recruiting New England and Ct. With a winning program the high school coaches would line up to push their kids to UCONN. I'd concentrate on the kids being recruited by Vandy , Wake, GT, T A&M, TT ,Baylor. I'd tell them they could stay home and get their asses kicked every week, or come to UCONN and play for a conference championship. The recruits should know I planned to be top 25 in 3 years, top 15 in 4 years and top 10 in 5 years: and yes, play for a NC within 10 years .Think big or don't play.

Reaction Score
Even if he was having a tough week, if he is the best kicker on the squad, then he gets the job. I think it was Jimmy Serrano who made a valid point that Puyol might not be ready, even if Christen had a bad day/week. So if Christen is still better than Puyol during bad weeks, then what do you want PP to do?

98% of the coaches in America decide to kick a 45-yarder to go up two scores with 3 minutes left on the clock and 4th-and-3. I don't care if others try to say otherwise, because it's simply
the right thing to do...

My comment is regarding the before mentioned, "knowing your players" that's it. P had three choices: 1) stay with his kicker 2) make a switch 3) put it in the hands of DLo and let him move the pile on 4th down. Obviously there are other 4th down options but they include increased risk. Bottom line is that P chose option 1 and failed miserably! You can "what if" this all day but his choice proved to be ineffective.

Reaction Score
Well, Desmond has weighed in, assuming no one stole his handle on the Courant blog board. Im a Desmond backer but I think he might want to re-evaulate his position on 'after this season'.
dconner says:
October 14, 2012 at 12:20 pm
And you can do that Jim I’m just giving you a heads up that the head coach isn’t getting fired during or after this season that’s all. Carry on.

Reaction Score
Well, Desmond has weighed in, assuming no one stole his handle on the Courant blog board. Im a Desmond backer but I think he might want to re-evaulate his position on 'after this season'.
dconner says:
October 14, 2012 at 12:20 pm
And you can do that Jim I’m just giving you a heads up that the head coach isn’t getting fired during or after this season that’s all. Carry on.

I agree with Des, unless UCONN goes 0 for the rest of the year, Coach P isn't going anywhere. GDL might, but not Coach P. And I think it is more financial than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom