Finally..... | The Boneyard

Finally.....

Reaction Score
Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere. We finally watched a game where the play by play announcer knew what his job was. Call the game and keep the irreverent banter to a minimum. Don’t know his name but he was worth listening to. He and RL combined to call a game like it’s supposed to be called. Need more like them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere. We finally watched a game where the play by play announcer knew what his job was. Call the game and keep the irreverent banter to a minimum. Don’t know his name but he was worth listening to. He and RL combined to call a game like it’s supposed to be called. Need more like them.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem with sportscasters is that many are not professionals in that field. Typically they are former coaches or players with little or no training in telecasting. Some, frankly, are poorly educated in the use of language, even some folks we like personally (eg, former Huskies). It doesn't help anyone, least of all young observers, to hear the language abused. Lobo is an exception; she is a natural: smart, articulate, knowledgeable. She also has the invaluable communication skill of listening. Announcers should enhance the visual experience, not drown it with dribble. Mute that.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem with sportscasters is that many are not professionals in that field. Typically they are former coaches or players with little or no training in telecasting. Some, frankly, are poorly educated in the use of language, even some folks we like personally (eg, former Huskies). It doesn't help anyone, least of all young observers, to hear the language abused. Lobo is an exception; she is a natural: smart, articulate, knowledgeable. She also has the invaluable communication skill of listening. Announcers should enhance the visual experience, not drown it with dribble. Mute that.
Those of us old enough to remember Dizzy Dean will know that his grammar was so bad calling baseball games that the network hired a tutor.

Reaction Score
Ryan Ruocco does an excellent job. He comes from the Fordham program that has produced quite a number of distinguished sports personalities. I heard him call games when he was a college student- it didn't matter that Fordham would usually lose big, the guy was a total pro even then.

Reaction Score
I thought Lobo was more of a Clark fan. Plus she didn’t give enough credit to Christyn early on in the game when she was obviously the best player on the floor from start to finish.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I agree both members of this team were a long step up from previous tourney games. It was so much easier to listen to.

But I still said "Who was the *$#@ foul called on" to the TV 3 or 4 times. Considering there were so few fouls in the game, that was a lot. And most substitutions were still not noted.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I agree both members of this team were a long step up from previous tourney games. It was so much easier to listen to.

But I still said "Who was the *$#@ foul called on" to the TV 3 or 4 times. Considering there were so few fouls in the game, that was a lot. And most substitutions were still not noted.
Good points. The former is one of my biggest peeves. As a general statement, I hate it when a non-star enters a game (e.g., Mir, Piath) and doesn't get recognized right away. Such players, and their families and friends, deserve better.

Reaction Score
One thing I didn't like was his comment after Paige took her first shot, which was a little strong and bounced off the back of the iron- he said she "missed it badly", which I didn't like.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I listen to the radio for the game and then watched the tape - their announcing almost matched the radio, which is surprising and enjoyable. Radio announcers have to paint the picture and explain everything that is happening - TV announcers rely too much on the visual and allow themselves to be totally irrelevant to the game, even though there is a lot of information not available in the video that it is important to know - like fouls/substitutions/etc.

Reaction Score

At one point they asked each other who the foul was on. It appeared that they were not being given that info and were in a spot where it was not easy to determine. I think it was not their fault.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lobo is always great!
Always!!! You know what you’re going to get from her. Rebecca is a treat in the studio or on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Lobo is an exception; she is a natural: smart, articulate, knowledgeable. She also has the invaluable communication skill of listening. Announcers should enhance the visual experience, not drown it with dribble. Mute that.
Absolutely. I'm continually impressed with how she does authentically listen to her fellow announcers, the players, and coaches. She then uses that information in our commentary. She's also one of my favorite announcers.

Reaction Score
Ruocco also is the backup announcer for the Yankees on YES, filling in for Michael Kay when he had his vocal surgery last year. He is also the lead announcer for WNBA broadcasts; a bright future.

Reaction Score
ell, she did miss it badly. Didn't you think so?
No, I don't- the shot didn't go in, but she was running towards the basket, stopped just inside the foul line, her shot was a little strong as many similar shots are what with body and ball momentum going forward, it was 100% accurate as far as direction but just a little strong and hit the back of the rim. If it was an airball, or hit the side of the rim, then it would be accurate to say she "missed it badly".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom