Final WNBA rosters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Final WNBA rosters

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
BTW, we Irish lacrosse followers (former players and/or fans) got stung in the NCAA's last week when Duke delivered another hit to use in a quarter-final OT win in Long Island. Ouch...Dookies and Irish had split two before then, but the Devils took home the NCAA win. Head bang

Welp at least the Lacrosse title is back in the ACC. What a past few months for UVA. Plus Clemson got the football title. I dont hold much hope for baseball though

Reaction Score
Welp at least the Lacrosse title is back in the ACC. What a past few months for UVA. Plus Clemson got the football title. I dont hold much hope for baseball though
triadukefan, what's your forecast for the upcoming College World Series?

Reaction Score
A few Qs as a non-close follower:

• Did any 1st Round picks not make a roster? I dont see Ezi at Seattle, but I assume she just hasn't come over yet?
  • 2nd Rnd cuts: 17 Gustafson, 18 Hiedeman, 20 Dillard
  • 3rd Rnd makes: 25 Kea, 32 Carter
  • Undrafted makes: Ting, Johannes
I recall doing a history check last year and I think the odds of someone>18 making a roster is low, but given this year's depth not super surprising that there were more this year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A few Qs as a non-close follower:

• Did any 1st Round picks not make a roster? I dont see Ezi at Seattle, but I assume she just hasn't come over yet?
  • 2nd Rnd cuts: 17 Gustafson, 18 Hiedeman, 20 Dillard
  • 3rd Rnd makes: 25 Kea, 32 Carter
  • Undrafted makes: Ting, Johannes
I recall doing a history check last year and I think the odds of someone>18 making a roster is low, but given this year's depth not super surprising that there were more this year.

I believe Seattle knew Ezi was not coming right away when they drafted her. Of course, at the time they were planning on a healthy Stewart and Bird and thinking their roster was pretty much set already. The best laid plans, etc. etc.

And yes, all the other 1st rounders made a roster.

Reaction Score

Gustafson needed to get drafted there if Fisher makes his roster decisions on college film.

From watching the Storm last night they could use her there for some inside scoring punch since Stewie's out.

Reaction Score
Weise has a very quick release. It was a bit flat though. It has improved from last season. Quick releases are very hard to defend and the way she shoots she give no warning as to when.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Weise has a very quick release. It was a bit flat though. It has improved from last season. Quick releases are very hard to defend and the way she shoots she give no warning as to when.

She's very easy to defend from her customary spot on the bench, though. That's what's confusing. After barely playing for her 1st two years, she makes the roster again...and then only plays garbage time in the 1st game. While Mabrey, a rookie second round pick also known for outside shooting, plays significant minutes.

I guess coaches always want one more shooter on the bench just in case. But I don't see the point of keeping Wiese on a roster if she's never going to play.

Reaction Score
I can't say I'm surprised - Howard is exactly the type of tweener that struggles transitioning from a good college career to the W: at 5'11" she is just too small to be a true WNBA forward, but she doesn't have enough experience playing the role of a shooting guard/wing, and she doesn't have enough of an outside scoring/jumpshooter presence to justify a roster spot in that capacity. It's a testament to her tenacity inside that even in college she could be so successful at taking it to the basket and rebounding so efficiently at only 5'11". She played much bigger than that, IMHO.

I'll say it again: no one prepares his players better for the pro leagues than Geno. Howard did not get the kind of coaching and playing opportunities at either A&M or MSU to prepare her for the transition, and the W is a brutal transition because there's essentially no practice time before you're fighting for a roster spot. It's too bad, because she has great instincts and I like her game a lot - the potential is there. She has the raw talent, motor, and instincts, and just needs to tweak her game.

Hopefully she can get an opportunity abroad or on another team where she can hone her jump shooting, outside game, and ball handling.
I'm going to push back on the argument that Anriel didn't get enough playing opportunities or coaching at A&M or Miss State. Certainly there was no shortage of minutes at either school.

I'd be interested in something we may never know, which is what went into the decision to cut her. Because from my years of watching her, my sense is that the things you emphasize are secondary. Kahwi Leonard has found an offensive game that's making him the megastar of this year's NBA playoffs. But he got to be an all star for other parts of his game. Anriel improving ball handling, shooting, and outside is less important than showing that her inside game on the boards translates to the next level. She's also not a great defender, which might be more helpful to her career than developing as a scorer.

She played 20 minutes total in 3 games for the Storm and had a total of 3 boards.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Compare/contrast Anriel Howard to Gabby Williams, similar sized players and both were more of a post than a wing in college. Williams is in her second year and doesn't look like she has any worries about being cut, but her perimeter shooting skills are lacking.

Reaction Score
Compare/contrast Anriel Howard to Gabby Williams, similar sized players and both were more of a post than a wing in college. Williams is in her second year and doesn't look like she has any worries about being cut, but her perimeter shooting skills are lacking.

My take.....Gabby went to UConn which prepares you for this level.

Reaction Score
Gabby was a 5 star on Hoopgurlz ranked 14 overall coming out of HS. Anriel was a 3 star ranked 100.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What I was really saying is that both Gabby and Anriel were playing a position in college that didn't really best prepare them for their WNBA career. Gabby has some passing and ball handling skills but perimeter shooting continues to be a weakness to her game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What I was really saying is that both Gabby and Anriel were playing a position in college that didn't really best prepare them for their WNBA career. Gabby has some passing and ball handling skills but perimeter shooting continues to be a weakness to her game.

As I mentioned in the Sky thread, Gabby has really impressed me with her ball handling. She has really taken to the guard position and her shooting will come.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Anriel got cut because Zellous went down and they needed another ballhandler.

At 5'11 she's maybe a little small to play SF but not too badly undersized and she plays bigger than her height anyway.

Continued improvement to her outside shot will give her a chance to stick.

Part of the difference between she and Gabby is Gabby's versatility. Gabby started at PF last year. This year she is the primary backup PG. The ability to at least passably play any position 1-4 means she will always have a roster spot.

Reaction Score
In respect to players not playing the position in college that they will more than likely have to transition to in the pro's, it is usually because coaches are more concerned with playing players that will benefit the team rather than the players future. Players are getting smarter and picking schools where they will not be forced into playing certain positions out of necessity.

Reaction Score
I'm going to push back on the argument that Anriel didn't get enough playing opportunities or coaching at A&M or Miss State. Certainly there was no shortage of minutes at either school./QUOTE]
Will Talk responds------I would agree with part of your perspective. I don't think it has as much to do with coaching as some people make it out. Although coaching is a major part of it. In response to your rebuttal, it is not just about playing time at a position, rather playing time at the right position. The fact that Howard excelled at the position she played in college is without question. You can not coach up a player to play on the perimeter while they are playing at a post position. In that respect, it is not the actual coaching up the player, rather where they are being coached to play. Teams in the WNBA generally do not have the luxury of transitioning player from one position to another. Gustafson is a good example of that as well. They will have to do that overseas. Most players often do not understand that concept so that rather than work on expanding their skill set they continue in their own comfort zone. Most college coaches will allow them to do that because it benefits their program more than having a player spend extra time developing at a different position. This is especially true in respect posts because there are so few quality ones available. To most players playing time is more valuable than developing their skill set for the next level. .

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom