Final WNBA rosters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Final WNBA rosters

Reaction Score
I was at both preseason games at Mohegan and I am very surprised by this. I thought Natisha's quickness and defensive effort would win her the spot.

Best of luck to Bridget. The Sun will need 1-12 contributing in order to improve over last season.

It did seem like Hiedeman had a good training camp. I wonder if the Sun wanted more height. They already have three players who can run the point in Thomas, Clarendon and Banham. I guess Carleton plays the 2/3?

I wonder if they would cut her for anyone else who’s been cut, if teams like Indiana pass on them... Kennedy Burke had a good game against the Sun in preseason.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
So with cutting Hiedeman.... the Sun pretty much just gave Lexie Brown to Minnesota :rolleyes:

It does seem clear that the Sun should have chosen Kia Nurse at #9 last year. It is really too bad that Brown didn’t work out. She seemed unhappy on her social media about her limited minutes last season and perhaps just wanted out, rather than giving it another go in year 2. Miller mentioned in one interview that they planned to trade her on draft night, and the Hiedeman trade is what they arrived at.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It does seem clear that the Sun should have chosen Kia Nurse at #9 last year. It is really too bad that Brown didn’t work out. She seemed unhappy on her social media about her limited minutes last season and perhaps just wanted out, rather than giving it another go in year 2. Miller mentioned in one interview that they planned to trade her on draft night, and the Hiedeman trade is what they arrived at.

I'm happy for Brown..... glad she has a fresh start.... hoping she has a happy and productive year for the Lynx. Some Duke trivia.... Brown was the 4th Duke player to be drafted by the Sun in the first round..... all were traded the following year :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm happy for Brown..... glad she has a fresh start.... hoping she has a happy and productive year for the Lynx. Some Duke trivia.... Brown was the 4th Duke player to be drafted by the Sun in the first round..... all were traded the following year :rolleyes:

Well, it can't be an anti-Duke bias because the Sun LOVE Jasmine Thomas! :p Talk about someone who put in time and hard work to carve out a great career, despite a slow/inconsistent start. She has been a fantastic leader for the team, and Miller speaks about her with utmost respect. He made sure she stayed with them.

I'm sure the Sun would love to still have Chelsea Gray and Elizabeth Williams. Hindsight, sigh...

Reaction Score
Veteran Leilani Mitchell was the Mercury's last cut.
They didn't have the cap space to cut just 1 rookie. It was either cut 2 rookies or 1 more expensive vet. They opted to cut Mitchell and keep all 4 rookies.

Glad Alanna Smith made the cut. She is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!

Reaction Score
A lot underrated rookies made teams Anriel Howard, Maite Cazorla, Paris Kea, Arica Carter, Marina Mabrey, Jess Shepherd, Kim Mestdagh, Chloe Jackson, Brooke McCarty...one more could’ve gotten Yvonne Turner’s spot from my Mercury.

Reaction Score
@CamrnCrz1974 @j66kicker Somebody... anybody.... please give Bonner a few steaks.... soulvakis.... bowls of mac and cheese.... something.... anything :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I know, right? Every time I go to a game she reminds me of a girl I used to work with who had a severe eating disorder, except this girl had more meat on her bones than DeWanna. Must be healthy tho, regardless of looking like she weighs 75 pounds - what a great athlete!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Loving that Marina Mabrey made the final cut. I thought that her and Samuelson we're fighting for a spot. Samuelson is a one dimensional three point shooter, while Mabrey provides that and playmaking capability.

Same, although I'm not sure if Marina was on the bubble or if it was Wiese. Wiese hasnt proven squat in 2 years as a pro.

Reaction Score
Seeing lists like this make me Head bang all over again. That 2010-11 Duke squad had 5 starters who have played multiple years in the WNBA and had a future 1st round pick come off the bench. The 2013-14 team had all five starters ended up playing in the WNBA.... 4 first round picks... View attachment 43461
Maryland is not that far behind. The Terps also have three former players on NBA rosters. Lexie Brown, Kiara Leslie and Natasha Cloud.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wow, UConn still (not surprisingly) way out in front with 14 (and does that even include those out with injuries, leaves of absence?) In any case, kudos to all Huskies players and staff.

The Irish nearly doubled the amount with this year's class, going up to 9 players. Might've been 10, but Lindsay Allen is out for the year rehabbing her knee. In any case, here are the Irish starting up the season:

Reaction Score
:eek::eek::eek::eek: So all five starters for ND made a WNBA squad a month after the college season? Thats impressive.

how did they ever lose 4 games.... how did they lose 2 games in the ACC ... how could they have failed to win a national title :rolleyes:
Not really surprised. They were a tough squad for the last two years. Mabrey was the only one that was sort of a “bubble” player, but when she landed in LA I knew it was pretty good chance she’d make the team. Williams is suspended, Sims traded, and they don’t really use guards besides Chelsea Gray and Beard so I’m not surprised.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
:eek::eek::eek::eek: So all five starters for ND made a WNBA squad a month after the college season? Thats impressive.

how did they ever lose 4 games.... how did they lose 2 games in the ACC ... how could they have failed to win a national title :rolleyes:

Oh, in regards to the small agate type...ouch, did I feel something? No worries, I'll just brush it off....
Anyways, it is impressive that all five made it...oh, I think I felt another one bounce off the Irish van....
Darn, I hate it when those pebbles get thrown up from the bottom of NC-147 N...such a distraction. :cool:

You and I would be discussing great celebratory meals if Duke could lose 4 games in the regular season again..... ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oh, in regards to the small agate type...ouch, did I feel something? No worries, I'll just brush it off....
Anyways, it is impressive that all five made it...oh, I think I felt another nip or bite....
Darn, I hate it when those pebbles get thrown up from the bottom of NC-147 N...such a distraction. :cool:

:p Just joshing with yall.... just a little ACC on ACC poking. :D

I was surprised to see Mabrey make a final roster...... i figured the other 4 would make it. Good for her..... seems like a hard working kid.

You and I would be discussing great celebratory meals if Duke could lose 4 games in the regular season again..... ;)

:oops: I'd celebrate with more than a meal if that happened

Dillon77

Reaction Score
:p Just joshing with yall.... just a little ACC on ACC poking. :D

I was surprised to see Mabrey make a final roster. i figured the other 4 would make it. Good for her..... seems like a hard working kid.

:oops: I'd celebrate with more than a meal if that happened

Oh, for sure....kinda fun because I know the spirit in which it was intended. Mabrey is a hard-working young woman, which I've seen as both a college player and as a high schooler before that. Looking a bit in the rear view mirror, the situations that led to her learning and assuming a share of the "lead guard" roles probably helped round her offensive game. And she's always stuck her nose into loose balls and passing lanes. We'll see how it goes.

BTW, we Irish lacrosse followers (former players and/or fans) got stung in the NCAA's last week when Duke delivered another hit to use in a quarter-final OT win in Long Island. Ouch...Dookies and Irish had split two before then, but the Devils took home the NCAA win. Head bang

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Interesting list. A bit surprising that Stanford only has 4, even more surprising that Cal matches that. North Carolina w/ 5 is also surprising.

There is of course some correlation but in some cases number of alums in the WNBA is not exactly indicative of the relative level of success of a college program.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

You are way more discreet and polite than I am. I said it multiple times: surely one of the great underachievements of our era for such a stacked starting 5 to have dropped 4 games in a season. Including a humiliating 18-point loss on their home court in which they lost any semblance of composure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom