Final 2019 Scholarship? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Final 2019 Scholarship?

Reaction Score
I do not follow recruiting all that closely. Who's Manuel? Google search results are only for our old buddy Warde.

Warde only played football at Michigan so he has eligibility left in basketball.

Reaction Score
Keeping the scholarship open is probably better than filling it with a medicore guy. It seems like the Akok/Hamidou route is becoming much more popular. We don't want to have to deal with that "but there's no scholarship for him" headache again mid season if there is a guy heavily on our radar

Reaction Score
Everything the insiders here have said makes it seem like we're going to take Manuel if he qualifies, and we'll bank the scholarship if he does not. I don't think there are any surprises here, unless something unexpected happens and a really talented kid becomes available out of nowhere.
that is my guess also ...

Reaction Score
If we're back in play with higher quality 2020s because of the Bog East move, bank the scholly.

Stinks for this season. Unfair expectations for Carlton. But we'll be thankful when we have an extra high 4* on the roster rather than a stretch roster guy
Why not use it on a grad transfer C-PF just for 5 fouls and bigger than Whaley? It won’t waste a scholarship for future years and will give us another big off the bench even if it’s just a big body.

Reaction Score
Why not use it on a grad transfer C-PF just for 5 fouls and bigger than Whaley? It won’t waste a scholarship for future years and will give us another big off the bench even if it’s just a big body.

Is there a grad transfer big available in July worth giving it to?

Reaction Score

Is there anyone left? I don't know. If it was possible, definitely do that

Reaction Score
I don't think they would have gone through the process to free up Diarra's scholarship if they didn't plan on trying to get someone for 2019.
Question: If this is true, could Manuel verbally commit or does his academic situation prevent him from doing that? I know he has had a history of decommits so maybe that is also holding him back?

Can he verbally commit? Of course he can. He can say whatever he wants. He can verbally commit to Kentucky or the Knicks if he feels like it.

Would such a statement be meaningful? Of course not. Until he can become eligible for college next year, or be bound to follow through on his words, why the heck would anyone care what he tweets or tells an 19 year old who fancies himself a recruiting expert?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there a grad transfer big available in July worth giving it to?
I think a David Onuorah type now would work and it seems from other reports that there are few of those around. I don't expect any big with talent to be left now. Just looking for someone with some legit size who can give us a few rebounds and 5 fouls. We will need it with only an undersized Whaley to back up Carlton.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't think we've found one. For the record, I don't think Manuel would be a wasted scholarship in future years. He looks legit, and has the kind of mobility I think Hurley wants at the position.

Reaction Score
We are just look for a David Onuorah type now. I don't expect any big with talent to be left now. Just looking for someone with some legit size who can give us a few rebounds and 5 fouls. We will need it with only an undersized Whaley to back up Carlton.

Dead on. There is nothing to gain by having an empty roster spot as opposed to the best grad transfer big you can get. Even if the guy you get sucks, it becomes a useful extra big for practice.

Reaction Score
I don't think we've found one. For the record, I don't think Manuel would be a wasted scholarship in future years. He looks legit, and has the kind of mobility I think Hurley wants at the position.

Or the fact that you're not hearing about us looking means they are fairly confident Manuel will do what he needs to do to reach eligibility?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Or the fact that you're not hearing about us looking means they are fairly confident Manuel will do what he needs to do to reach eligibility?

Knock wood, but yeah. I get the sense he's ours if he qualifies and that Hurley would rather the chance of him than David O part II.

Reaction Score
Is there anyone left? I don't know. If it was possible, definitely do that
Not much.

Jethro Tshisumpa Mbiya is maybe the best available grad transfer center. Former top-100 recruit, but played last year in JUCO.

6'10 260 center who averaged 8.4p, 6.5r, 3.7b in 20.3 mpg for San Jacinto-Central last year.

Reaction Score
We often leave out an important point in this discussion. We get to a few minutes and rebounds per game. I think it's important for Carlton to face a 6-10 230+ body everyday in practice. That kid can improve; and it ain't gonna be with Tom Moore covering him.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think a David Onuorah type now would work and it seems from other reports that there are few of those around. I don't expect any big with talent to be left now. Just looking for someone with some legit size who can give us a few rebounds and 5 fouls. We will need it with only an undersized Whaley to back up Carlton.
We're waiting on Manuel. If he gets the grades, he'll be a Husky next month. If he doesn't, we'll bank the scholarship.

Reaction Score
Manuel will be the guy so long as he can figure out how to get his grades up. But if he doesn't reclassify, I think they're more than happy to bank that scholarship for the Big East debut season.

Reaction Score
We're waiting on Manuel. If he gets the grades, he'll be a Husky next month. If he doesn't, we'll bank the scholarship.
We might have some big issues matching up with teams that have any semblance of an inside game as we just don't have the bodies or strength to match them without another additional big man. I don't see the harm in getting a David O. grad student type in here as he won't waste a scholarship and will give us a much needed big body. Hopefully we get Manuel and this whole discussion is moot.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We might have some big issues matching up with teams that have any semblance of an inside game as we just don't have the bodies or strength to match them without another additional big man. I don't see the harm in getting a David O. grad student type in here as he won't waste a scholarship and will give us a much needed big body. Hopefully we get Manuel and this whole discussion is mute.

[groan] :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom