Films Worth Viewing Year 3 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Films Worth Viewing Year 3

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Scent of a Woman"-Martin Britt-1992

This was Pacino's Oscar winning role. I was surprised at how highly the film is ranked on IMdB. I hadn't viewed this film in years, but critically the film is often the victim of faint praise. Pacino plays Col. Frank Slade a 26 year military veteran. When the film opens he is totally blind. He is living with his niece's family in New Hampshire. The family wants to spend Thanksgiving with relatives, Pacino doesn't want to go. His niece puts up an ad on the bulletin board at the Baird School. The ad is answered by Charlie Simms (Chris O'Donnell best known for his work on NCIS LA0. Charlie is a scholarship senior who takes the job to make money so he can return home for Christmas. The film is the story of the relationship which develops between the two over the long weekend. Colonel Slade is planning to commit suicide, and Charlie is facing expulsion from Baird unless he snitches of fellow students who play a very nasty prank on the Headmaster.

The film is remembered for some great set pieces. My favorite is the tango sequence. Slade instructs a young woman, Donna (Gabrielle Anwar) in the tango despite his blindness. He later test drives a Ferrari. The there is the struggle where Charlie fights to keep Col. Slade from committing suicide. The film ends with Col. Slade coming to the defense of Charlie in a public trial before an assembly of all the Baird community. Pacino can be self indulgent, but he also takes some real chances as an actor. The scenes between Slade and Charlie are very well done. O'Donnell's performance is under rated. The script by Bo Goldman (One Flew Overt he CucKoo's Nest, and Melvin and Howard) is excellent. Just one example; when the two principals finally arrive back in New Hampshire; Slade pays Charlie the agreed upon $300 fee. During the entire film Slade has been trying to bribe Charlie with more money. Go away and let me commit suicide and I'll give you big bucks. The payment of $300 is a sign of respect.

My only real caveat is length. However, that is a minor quibble. Very highly recommended available on Prime.
The source of most of today's Pacino imitations... "hoo-hah!"

btw, it's Martin Brest (who also did Midnight Run and Beverly Hills Cop). You were probably thinking of Martin Ritt, also a great director.

Reaction Score
The source of most of today's Pacino imitations... "hoo-hah!"

btw, it's Martin Brest (who also did Midnight Run and Beverly Hills Cop). You were probably thinking of Martin Ritt, also a great director.
No just a stupid error. I have it written correctly in my notes.

Reaction Score
"The DaVinci Code"-Ron Howard-2006

Fifteen years have passed since this film's debut, perhaps that gives enough time and space to look at the film without going down one of numerous available rabbit holes. Dan Brown, the author of the book and of the series on which the films are based. made a huge pile of money bringing into the public eye controversies which date back many hundreds of years. The protagonist, Robert Langdon, is a symbolist working/teaching at Harvard.
I have never heard of a professor of symbology. Sophie Neveu who aids him in solving Da Vinci's code is a cryptographer working for the Paris police.
This again seems like an unusual job in a police department. A senior official of the Louvre is found murdered inside the museum. He was killed by a bullet, but his body is mutilated. Apparently, he did the mutilations to his own body. Captain Fache finds that this official was scheduled to meet Robert Langdon for lunch. Fache receives a phone call saying that Langdon confessed to the murder in his confession to a Catholic priest.

Immediately this poses several problems: Langdon isn't a practicing Roman Catholic, and what was the motive for the murder? It turns out that Sophie Noveu is the grand-daughter of the murdered man. She shows up at the murder site to rescue Langdon. She will also help Langdon (Tom Hanks) to decipher the mutilations and writing left behind by the dead man. It turns out that he is the Grand Master of the Priory of Sion. Their mission is to protect the Holy Grail. This is normally believed to be the cup from which Christ drank at the last supper. The Priory of Sion is not tasked with protecting an object; the Holy Grail is not an object but the human descendants of Christ. This is the line of biological descendants dating back the daughter of Mary Magdalene and Jesus of Nazareth.

There is a force within the Church which opposes the Priory. That is Opus Dei. This is an actual group in the Catholic Church, but not directly a part of the hierarchy. One of the problems is that Opus Dei is real, and it isn't what is depicted in the film. If I delve any further into these organizations; I will truly lead you into rabbit holes. Langdon and Sophie (Audrey Tautou) are trying to follow the clues to the Holy Grail. Captain Fache (Jean Reno) is trying to arrest and Opus Dei is also engaged in the search for the Grail led by Bishop Aringarosa (Alfred Molina) and the shadowy "Teacher" who is providing info to Opus Dei.

Actually this is a pretty decent film. The acting is always at least good, the mixture between brain work and typical action fare works, we care about Langdon and Sophie. The film was a huge world wide moneymaker. It is available on Prime. I like this much more than "Angels and Demons" which is also available. I enjoyed "The Da Vinci Code" while I was watching. The neurotic need to look into the backstory came post viewing.

Reaction Score
"The Canterville Ghost"-Jules Dassin-1944

This entire universe comes from a single Oscar Wilde story. Among the notables who have portrayed Simon de Canterville are :Charles Laughton, David Niven, and Patrick Stewart. The original film version stars Laughton as the ghost, Margaret O'Brien as Lady Jessica, the heir to the castle, and Robert Young as Cufy Williams, a Canterville descendent. Sir Simon ran away from a duel; his own father bricks him up and leaves him to die. He also curses him to haunt the castle until a Canterville does an act of bravery for his benefit. For 300 years the cowardly Cantervilles have failed. A platoon of Army Rangers are to be quartered at Canterville castle awaiting action in France. They discover the ghost their lieutenant refuses to accept his existence. Lady Jessica befriends the ghost and Cufy. Will Cufy perform an act of bravery which will allow Sir Simon relief from the curse? This version is available for free streaming on OK.RU.

Dassin took over midway through the film; the story is that Laughton couldn't abide the first director. Margaret O'Brien is a wonder. She was 6 or 7 when this film was made. Child stars bought out audiences in the '30"s and '40's. Robert Young would go on to greater success on television: "Father Knows Best" and "Marcus Welby M.D. " I'm not sure why a decision was made to play everything for laughs. Laughton is an able comedian, but in my opinion an even better dramatic actor. I recommend this version, but you might want to take a look at the 1996 TV version which stars Patrick Stewart as the ghost. In this version Sir Simon is condemned because his jealousy caused the death of his beloved wife. In this version Neve Campbell plays Virginia Otis an American teen who saves Sir Simon. This is available to stream on IMdB. I watched one other version on Prime, but there are at least a dozen others. The most recent version is an announced animation of a 2017 film which starred Hugh Laurie among others.

This is solid entertainment.

Reaction Score
"The Canterville Ghost"-Jules Dassin-1944

This entire universe comes from a single Oscar Wilde story. Among the notables who have portrayed Simon de Canterville are :Charles Laughton, David Niven, and Patrick Stewart. The original film version stars Laughton as the ghost, Margaret O'Brien as Lady Jessica, the heir to the castle, and Robert Young as Cufy Williams, a Canterville descendent. Sir Simon ran away from a duel; his own father bricks him up and leaves him to die. He also curses him to haunt the castle until a Canterville does an act of bravery for his benefit. For 300 years the cowardly Cantervilles have failed. A platoon of Army Rangers are to be quartered at Canterville castle awaiting action in France. They discover the ghost their lieutenant refuses to accept his existence. Lady Jessica befriends the ghost and Cufy. Will Cufy perform an act of bravery which will allow Sir Simon relief from the curse? This version is available for free streaming on OK.RU.

Dassin took over midway through the film; the story is that Laughton couldn't abide the first director. Margaret O'Brien is a wonder. She was 6 or 7 when this film was made. Child stars bought out audiences in the '30"s and '40's. Robert Young would go on to greater success on television: "Father Knows Best" and "Marcus Welby M.D. " I'm not sure why a decision was made to play everything for laughs. Laughton is an able comedian, but in my opinion an even better dramatic actor. I recommend this version, but you might want to take a look at the 1996 TV version which stars Patrick Stewart as the ghost. In this version Sir Simon is condemned because his jealousy caused the death of his beloved wife. In this version Neve Campbell plays Virginia Otis an American teen who saves Sir Simon. This is available to stream on IMdB. I watched one other version on Prime, but there are at least a dozen others. The most recent version is an announced animation of a 2017 film which starred Hugh Laurie among others.

This is solid entertainment.

Another movie with very similar plot is "The Ghost Goes West" (1935), starring Robert Donat, and directed by Rene Clair. The twist in this film is that the Scottish castle that is being haunted by the disgraced ghost has been sold, dismantled, and moved to the America, and reconstructed there. The ghost is tied to the castle, so the ghost ends up in the castle in America as well. I find this version of the story rather entertaining, and would definitely recommend checking it out. By the way, this is also Rene Clair's first English language film, and he did a few other English language films that I am quite enamored by, such as "I Married a Witch", and "And Then There Were None".

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The Upside, Hulu

Kevin Hart Isabel ex-con who needs “signatures” showing he’s been looking for a job. By accident he interviews with billionaire Bryan Cranston who is a quadriplegic as his caregiver. Cranston who is frustrated with his circumstances offers him the job because a Hart is “he is the worst possible candidate.” Typical culture class movie. I have to say though Kevin Hart is surprisingly good in it. This is another film that isn’t great, but is thoroughly watchable, particularly when you realize it’s based on a true story.

Reaction Score
I have had some severe medical problems. I am on hospital leave. The process will be complete by the end of the month. I should be able Tyler Phommachanh resume posting at that time.

Reaction Score
I have had some severe medical problems. I am on hospital leave. The process will be complete by the end of the month. I should be able Tyler Phommachanh resume posting at that time.
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. Looking forward to your future posts.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hang in there. one day at a time, and maybe watch some funny stuff!
u r awesome..

Reaction Score

You started and contribute greatly to one of my favorite threads on the Boneyard. Certainly have missed your movie musings of late.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Feel better and hurry back.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Zymurg is life!! Heal well and quickly, Charlie!

Reaction Score
The Professor and the Madman. 2019.

Oh the audacity to make a film about the creation of the Oxford-English dictionary. Surprise. This is well crafted and interesting film. The professor is Mel Gibson and the Madman is Sean Penn. Both are terrific. Gibson plays an unappreciated genius while Penn plays and imprisoned genius. Both are set against the (evil) Oxford Press oversight committee (really). Gibson's family and flashbacks of Penn's past bring humanity to the film. This is an intelligent story made by people who understand film. Three stars.

Reaction Score
Bram Stoker's Dracula-Francis Ford Coppola-1992

This film is much closer to Stoker's original than any other version. I had wondered why Coppola chose to make this film. The answer is money. His company Zoetrope was facing bankruptcy. Keanu Reeves forced on him by Sony. Coppola was both producer and director. He made a number of unusual choices. They included using no CGI and only traditional methods to produce effects. During the initial table read the cast read Stoker's whole novel. That took 2 whole days. The marriage ceremony between Harker and Mina was performed by a real priest. Even in 2018 Ryder was still exploring the validity of the marriage. The film was a financial success and it won 3 Oscars,but they were for technical roles. This is a good looking film. The costumes and make-up are top class. Coppola patterned a number of scenes on paintings. Michael Balhaus's camera work is first rate. James Hart's script is solid, but not inspiring.

Gary Oldham is known for his over acting, but this time given his role, Dracula, he hits the right notes. Winona Ryder is excellent; I wonder why she didn't make more films. Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing is a disappointment. I think it is how the role is written. Reeves was cast because of sex appeal. In his defense he was overworked in this period. Harker is a role which demands nuanced acting. Coppola wanted Johnny Depp ,that would have been interesting casting.

This is a film where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. It still merits a solid recommendation.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

This film is much closer to Stoker's original than any other version. I had wondered why Coppola chose to make this film. The answer is money. His company Zoetrope was facing bankruptcy. Keanu Reeves forced on him by Sony. Coppola was both producer and director. He made a number of unusual choices. They included using no CGI and only traditional methods to produce effects. During the initial table read the cast read Stoker's whole novel. That took 2 whole days. The marriage ceremony between Harker and Mina was performed by a real priest. Even in 2018 Ryder was still exploring the validity of the marriage. The film was a financial success and it won 3 Oscars,but they were for technical roles. This is a good looking film. The costumes and make-up are top class. Coppola patterned a number of scenes on paintings. Michael Balhaus's camera work is first rate. James Hart's script is solid, but not inspiring.

Gary Oldham is known for his over acting, but this time given his role, Dracula, he hits the right notes. Winona Ryder is excellent; I wonder why she didn't make more films. Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing is a disappointment. I think it is how the role is written. Reeves was cast because of sex appeal. In his defense he was overworked in this period. Harker is a role which demands nuanced acting. Coppola wanted Johnny Depp ,that would have been interesting casting.

This is a film where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. It still merits a solid recommendation.
back at the keyboard! nice! i actually saw this flic and liked it, and im not to big on dark, horror stuff. this one was slick.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agree on all points. It's solid. The cast is quite deep, including using Monica Belluci as Dracula's bride, Sadie Frost as Lucy and Cary Elwes. Tom Waits is a standout as Renfield. Winona Ryder probably never looked better. Hopkins made Van Helsing a bit boring unfortunately, but that could be the writing as you said.

Reaction Score
Apocalypse Now-Francis Ford Coppola-1979 + 2001

This is one of those films goes beyond criticism into legend. The legend has changed over the years. Multiple versions of this film have appeared in theaters and on DVD. Then his wife was filming a documentary on the making of the film. "Hearts of Darkness" was released in 1991. I watched the 2001 version or Redux which adds 53 minutes tothe original. There is also a 2019 version which cuts 21 minutes from the 2001 version. Since Coppola sent over 230+ hours out of the Philippines, the odds are that other versions will emerge in the future.

I saw the Redux version in a theater. I have watched various DVD versions several times. The shoot was supposed to be 26 days. It ended up taking over 230 days. There were some major problems including a heart attack for Martin Sheen (Cpt. Willard) and Brando (Col. Kurtz)
showing up 80 lbs overweight. Coppola lost100 lbs during filming. It took over 2 years to edit the film. It shared the Palme d'Or with The Tin Drum. The version released in Theaters was not the version shown in Cannes.

The script uses Joseph Conrad's novel "Heart Of Darkness" as inspiration. Col. Kurtz shares a last name with Mr. Kurtz the flawed protagonist of Conrad's novel. The last line of Mr. Kurtz: "The horror...the horror," is also the last line of Col. Kurtz. The story is a variation on the classic quest. Willard isn't pure of heart. He can't go home again, but he both needs and fears a mission. He is dragged from his room where he had become drunk and smashed his into a mirror. He is given a secret black ops mission. This mission will never be acknowledged. He is to kill an American commander who has gone rogue. He has set up his own mini-state far beyond US lines in Cambodia. Willard must travel hundreds of miles by boat to reach Kurtz's realm.
gg
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." This classic line is Lt.Col. Kilgore's bid for screen immortality. Robert Duvall parlayed 12 minutes of screen time into an Oscar nomination. The whole helicopter attack with the Opera music blaring and the copters firing bullets and rockets is classic. Kilgore wants to take the village so he can surf. Unfortunately, his napalm ruins the waves. He does manage to lift the boat and deposit it on the river so Willard can continue his journey up river.

Willard is the narrator, but I don't see him as a protagonist. He is a necessary device to transport us to Kurtz. The struggles along the way make the journey seem significant. When the boat arrives; Willard is at the mercy of Kurtz. The scenes between Kurtz and Willard are at once brilliant and confusing. Kurtz maintains that Willard can't judge him, but can kill him. The time in Kurtz's mini kingdom is brilliantly done. Dennis Hopper appears as a crazed photojournalist supposedly based on Sean Flynn, the son of Errol Flynn. Flynn died in Viet Nam, but before that he made an important film in Sri Lanka. "We came 9000 kilometers to film in a garden." Zymurg was there you won't see his face because the only direction he received was to keep his face out of the camera

I'm not sure why the Hopper character was created. He does mangle T.S. Eliot: "This is the way the world ends; this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper." Kurtz won't entrust his story to the photojournalist; the story must be told by Willard. To earn the right to tell the story; Willard must kill Kurtz. There are a series of scenes where Willard uses a machete on Kurtz inter cut with the butchering of a bull. Willard leaves with the only remaining crew member. He ignores the calls from on high.

Kurtz was a hero; then he lost his way. He removed himself from control/supervision of the army. He is treated like a demi-god by his Montinard followers, but that doesn't help. His only goal is to end his life, but to have the story told to his son. He is a tragic hero. We never see him in his heroic state. In Conrad's novel, Molloy who seeks and finds Kurtz, papers over much of Kurtz's career and changes his last words:"The horror...the horror." We don't know what story Willard will tell about his Kurtz. It probably won't be fit to print.

This is a great film, but it isn't an easy or an open film. Coppola shocks us. We can look back and acknowledge the technical mastery. The acting is excellent' however most of the characters are heightened, even Willard is an unreliable guide. There are no easy answers,
or for that matter easy questions.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

This is one of those films goes beyond criticism into legend. The legend has changed over the years. Multiple versions of this film have appeared in theaters and on DVD. Then his wife was filming a documentary on the making of the film. "Hearts of Darkness" was released in 1991. I watched the 2001 version or Redux which adds 53 minutes tothe original. There is also a 2019 version which cuts 21 minutes from the 2001 version. Since Coppola sent over 230+ hours out of the Philippines, the odds are that other versions will emerge in the future.

I saw the Redux version in a theater. I have watched various DVD versions several times. The shoot was supposed to be 26 days. It ended up taking over 230 days. There were some major problems including a heart attack for Martin Sheen (Cpt. Willard) and Brando (Col. Kurtz)
showing up 80 lbs overweight. Coppola lost100 lbs during filming. It took over 2 years to edit the film. It shared the Palme d'Or with The Tin Drum. The version released in Theaters was not the version shown in Cannes.

The script uses Joseph Conrad's novel "Heart Of Darkness" as inspiration. Col. Kurtz shares a last name with Mr. Kurtz the flawed protagonist of Conrad's novel. The last line of Mr. Kurtz: "The horror...the horror," is also the last line of Col. Kurtz. The story is a variation on the classic quest. Willard isn't pure of heart. He can't go home again, but he both needs and fears a mission. He is dragged from his room where he had become drunk and smashed his into a mirror. He is given a secret black ops mission. This mission will never be acknowledged. He is to kill an American commander who has gone rogue. He has set up his own mini-state far beyond US lines in Cambodia. Willard must travel hundreds of miles by boat to reach Kurtz's realm.
gg
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." This classic line is Lt.Col. Kilgore's bid for screen immortality. Robert Duvall parlayed 12 minutes of screen time into an Oscar nomination. The whole helicopter attack with the Opera music blaring and the copters firing bullets and rockets is classic. Kilgore wants to take the village so he can surf. Unfortunately, his napalm ruins the waves. He does manage to lift the boat and deposit it on the river so Willard can continue his journey up river.

Willard is the narrator, but I don't see him as a protagonist. He is a necessary device to transport us to Kurtz. The struggles along the way make the journey seem significant. When the boat arrives; Willard is at the mercy of Kurtz. The scenes between Kurtz and Willard are at once brilliant and confusing. Kurtz maintains that Willard can't judge him, but can kill him. The time in Kurtz's mini kingdom is brilliantly done. Dennis Hopper appears as a crazed photojournalist supposedly based on Sean Flynn, the son of Errol Flynn. Flynn died in Viet Nam, but before that he made an important film in Sri Lanka. "We came 9000 kilometers to film in a garden." Zymurg was there you won't see his face because the only direction he received was to keep his face out of the camera

I'm not sure why the Hopper character was created. He does mangle T.S. Eliot: "This is the way the world ends; this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper." Kurtz won't entrust his story to the photojournalist; the story must be told by Willard. To earn the right to tell the story; Willard must kill Kurtz. There are a series of scenes where Willard uses a machete on Kurtz inter cut with the butchering of a bull. Willard leaves with the only remaining crew member. He ignores the calls from on high.

Kurtz was a hero; then he lost his way. He removed himself from control/supervision of the army. He is treated like a demi-god by his Montinard followers, but that doesn't help. His only goal is to end his life, but to have the story told to his son. He is a tragic hero. We never see him in his heroic state. In Conrad's novel, Molloy who seeks and finds Kurtz, papers over much of Kurtz's career and changes his last words:"The horror...the horror." We don't know what story Willard will tell about his Kurtz. It probably won't be fit to print.

This is a great film, but it isn't an easy or an open film. Coppola shocks us. We can look back and acknowledge the technical mastery. The acting is excellent' however most of the characters are heightened, even Willard is an unreliable guide. There are no easy answers,
one of my absolute all time favs, from my limited experience. an essay on reality in the jungle of life that can often be messy.
as always, 'If u can keep ur head...' and,
2ea4554a800025d59fa6aae54db384ff.jpg

surfs up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've never seen it and have never wanted to see it. But it came up often in the Tony Bourdain movie and my interest has been piqued. And now your review.

Reaction Score

gg

I saw this when I was a student at UConn. I believe it was the first day of classes in the spring semester, and a bunch of us on my dorm floor decided to go see this movie at the old Storrs theater that was just off campus. Great stuff. I remember that when the movie was over, we walked back to The Jungle in total silence from the shock of the film. That total silence from my dorm mates was certainly a different experience, as they were rarely quiet about anything.

Reaction Score
It has that effect on many. It is an experience. When I finished watching it this time, I found I just had to go back and re-watch from where Willard reaches Kurtz's kingdom to the end of the film. The pacing is brilliant, it is real but unreal. I think that Sheen's performance has been underestimated. The best analogy I can come up with is :"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king." I have an inherited condition which made me legally blind in one eye. I have no rods in my right eye; I can see amorphous blobs of color. I'm not sure that this condition has helped my understanding.

Reaction Score
Apocalypse Now was a very early Vietnam film. It came out before America had truly digested the war. Coppola's over ambitious approach to the movie was to give us everything, even a French Mansion in the jungle. It is an insane exploration of an insane venture. There were multiple different endings to the movie and just as there were multiple endings to the war. What did it all mean? Who the freak knows. How do you make sense of nonsense?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom