Films Worth Viewing Year 3 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Films Worth Viewing Year 3

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Despite some real problems; this is a major film. It is not pleasant or uplifting viewing, but it is memorable.
For sure. I only saw it once when it came out, I never forget his drawer full of "socks".

Reaction Score
"The Best Years of Our Lives"-William Wyler-1946

This is one of those rare instances where the studio system came up with a true cinematic treasure. The basis forthe film was an early novel by McKinley Kantor. Robert Sherwood, one of the real greats, adapted the novel. Gregg Tolland did one of his best jobs behind the camera. The film has a more realistic tone than most 40's films. This was one of Wyler's three directing Oscars., his reputation was second only to John Ford. Wyler like some his most talented contemporaries spent the war as an Army filmmaker.

We are all familiar with the term "The Greatest Generation," They survived the Great Depression and won World II. Now they were coming home. They brought the War with them when they returned. Homer Parrish (Harold Russel) was a sailor who lost both his arms when his aircraft carrier was bombed. Fred Derry (Dana Andrews) was a B 17 bombardier who had terrible nightmares. Al Stephenson (Frederick March) was a banker turned infantry top kick who has a major drinking problem. What will happen to them when they try to put the war behind them? I am trying to avoid making them representative cutouts. The characters are well drawn.

Harold Russell was an actual amputee with no acting experience. He won two Oscars, one for Best Supporting Actor and a special Oscar for an uplifting performance. Homer Parrish has two problems; he wants people to treat him normally; he doesn't want pity. Then he wants to marry the girl he left behind. One of the best scripted scenes is where Homer invites Wilma (Kathy O'Donnell) to see his nightly routine. When he takes off the harness which holds his two artificial arms, he is almost totally helpless. He needs help to put on the harness, he can't even open a closed door without his artificial hands. When Wilma leaves, she carefully leaves the door ajar.

The concluding scene is Homer and Wilma's wedding. It takes place not in a church, but in Wilma's home. When Homer places the ring on Wilma's finger, we see the artificial hands (claws) performing the task. Each returning vet has problems. Al gets his job back at the bank; in fact he gets a promotion. He becomes vice president in charge of small loans. Al is going to oversee GI loans for the bank. The government guaranteed half the loan, the bank put up the other half. Al wants to make loans for returning G>I.s without collateral. Or rather their collateral is their service. I should mention Myrna Loy who plays Al's wife, Milly. I am surprised that this performance didn't receive an Oscar. Subtle elegance is how I would describe it.

In many ways Fred Derry is the most troubled returnee. He was a soda jerk before the war, His skills as a bombardier don't seem to fit the emerging post war economy. He is forced to take a job back at the drugstore. His wife had known him for less than three weeks before their marriage. She (Virginia Mayo) represents the Dear John faction. One of the memorable scenes finds Fred Derry climbing into the nose of one of dozens of bombers being scrapped. The plane's name is Round Trip, but there is a question mark between the two words.

Let me mention two other performances; Theresa Wright plays Al's daughter who falls in love with Fred. Hogy Carmichael plays Butch, Homer's bar owning and piano playing uncle. The film was a critical success and a popular success. I couldn't find a free streaming service. This is one you should not miss,

Reaction Score
Deliverance-John Boorman-1972

The original poster said something about the weekend they didn't play golf. The novel by James Dickey came out in 1970. Warner's acquired the rights; Dickey wanted Sam Peckinpaugh, but he was thought unreliable and a budget buster. Boorman made a pitch and he got the directing job. Big stars like Brando were rumored, but the budget was too small. Boorman disliked using a second unit, so basically the crew for much of the movie consisted of Boorman, the cinematographer Wilhelm Zgismund, a sound man, and a couple of grips. Boorman worked with Dickey on the script and he served as producer. The four principal actors: Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty and Ronnie Cox did almost all of their stunts. This was the first movie for both Cox and Beatie, Boorman found them by scouting regional theaters. The cast worked together for two weeks learning skills like canoeing and archery.

James Dickey was a well known poet; he later became poet laureate. "Deliverance" was his first novel. Dickey was on location at the beginning of the shoot. He was often drunk and abusive. There is a rumor that he broke Boorman's nose and knocked out five teeth. He came back to play the sheriff at the end of the shoot. The film was shot in sequence and all on location. Voight later said that Boorman saved his life and then spent the next three months trying to kill him. The film had no real budget for special effects. What we seen on screen is what the actors did.

Four friends ( Lewis (Burt), Ed (Jon), Bobby (Ned), and Drew (Ronnie) set off on a weekend adventure. They leave on Friday and they will be back in time to watch the NFL Sunday afternoon. They are going on a canoe trip down a river which will soon vanish. A Dam will flood the river area. The forest, river, and the homes of a few country locals will vanish forever. Atlanta will have more, and cheaper electrical power. Lewis is the leader of the group.
He is a seasoned outdoorsman; he hunts with a bow. In real life only Ned Beatty had experience camping and canoeing. This theme of the loss of the unspoiled had been done before by Elia Kazan in "River Wild." This was something that James Dickey felt deeply. He felt the need to "get out of the man world" and go back to nature.
Lewis wants to go white water canoeing because it is there. Of course he expects to shoot and kill something with his bow.

I returned to this film after many years. My strongest memory was "Dueling Banjos" the famous theme. Of course it is a duel between a guitar and a banjo. Dean plays a guitar when they stop to get gas and to arrange to have their cars driven to a small town where they plan to end their canoe trip. Dean sees a young boy holding holding a banjo. He appears unfocused; in the Southern parlance of the time he is slow. He can play the banjo; he and Dean go back and forth in a duel/duet. He doesn't respond when Dean attempts to talk to him. The gas station owner dances to the music. (That wasn't in the script.)

Things happen on the trip down river. Dean dies in the river. Two mountain men are shot and killed by arrows. When Ed finally returns home to his family, he wakes up from a nightmare where he sees a hand rising upfrom the lake. The name Deliverance has always puzzled me. It seems as if it should be Biblical. Ed was forced to assume the leadership when Lewis broke his leg. Is he like Moses who delivers the Israelites from Egypt but never really reaches the Promised Land? This is an excellent film, and it holds up quite well. There is no free streaming that I could find. My highest recommendation.

Reaction Score
"The Quiet American"-Phillip Noyce-2002

Graham Greene is one of the major novelists of the 20th century. This is the second screen version of this novel. The first starred Michael Redgrave and Audie Murphy. Don't bother to look for this version. The novel came out in 1955; the film in 1958. Interestingly, both versions were shot on location in Viet Nam. The film is set in 1951 and 1952. I promise not to go total nerd, but perhaps a little background will prove valuable. The Viet Minh under Ho Chi Minh had begun a conflict against the Japanese occupiers. The French returned after WWII. Now the conflict was between the French and the Viet Minh. We are at the beginning of the Cold War. The Communist push had taken over in Eastern Europe, but the Marshall Plan and NATO had stopped the advance into Western Europe. The end of WWII marked the beginning of the end of colonialism. India became independent in 1947; that required partition into two countries, India and Pakistan. There were ethnic and religious divisions in the French colonies in South East Asia. Three separate nations, Laos, Cambodia, and Viet Nam emerged. Viet Nam like Korea was divided politically rather than ethnically. Both Viet Nam and Korea had substantial Christian populations.

Korea had been historically subordinate to China and or Japan. Viet Nam was in China's sphere of influence. China intervened in the Korean War. There was a fear among Western countries that this was the beginning of a major Communist push in Asia. The United Nations stepped in on the side of South Korea. Meanwhile the French were struggling to hold the Viet Minh at bay. The United States was looking for a way to establish a native non-Communist regime in Viet Nam. Early on in the film a veteran expatriate British journalist, Thomas Fowler (Michael Caine) is discussing Viet Nam with a recent American arrival, Alden Pyle (Brendan Fraser). Pyle believes that the Vietnamese should be free, they should have the liberty to choose their leader. Fowler replies that the Vietnamese would choose Ho Chi Minh.

The film opens with the murder of Pyle. Fowler is both narrator and protagonist. Pryle is a second protagonist, In addition to their political disagreements; they are in conflict over their love for Phuong (Tin Hai Yen Do). She and Fowler have been together for two years. Fowler is married to a Catholic in England who won't give him a divorce. The political and romantic conflicts are intertwined.

This is beautifully filmed on location. The characters are complex and well acted. This justly considered one of Caine's best performances. The young actress portraying Phuong has a difficult role. Her beauty gets her onstage as a credible love interest of two men. She is trapped; when her father (a university professor) died; she and her sister had to make their way in the world. The situation in Saigon is dangerous. What will happen to her if the Viet Minh come to power? Does she love either of these men? My intuition is that she loves fellows, but Pyle is her better ticket out. Fellows is no bargain he has sent out only three stories to his paper in the past year. He smokes
opium. He relies on his assistant, Hinh (Tzi Ma) for contacts and info. He doesn't want to return to England so he takes a risky trip to the front line. Brendan Fraser is more than credible in his role. The major glitch is the responsibility of Greene. He is supposed to be a very recent Harvard graduate attached to the US medical program. Late in the film it turns out that he is actually a CIA agent who not only speaks fluent Vietnamese, but is running a secret aide program to a rogue Vietnamese general. Whatever you think of the CIA; they wouldn't put an inexperienced agent running such an important program. Fellows should see through the cover. He knows that his assistant is in with the Viet Minh.

Very highly recommended. This film is a massage for the brain cells, but still is compelling viewing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
did brad pitt ever make a film worth viewing?
i certainly think so.
Spy Game is probably one of his lesser known films, but I think one of his best. Troy is a big spectacle that has its moments. Mr. and Mrs. Smith was entertaining. 12 Monkeys was certainly something different. There's a few off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
i certainly think so.

Spy Game is probably one of his lesser known films, but I think one of his best. Troy is a big spectacle that has its moments. Mr. and Mrs. Smith was entertaining. 12 Monkeys was certainly something different. There's a few off the top of my head.

"Burn After Reading", which ranks very highly on my list of favorite Coen Brother movies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i certainly think so.

You think so or don't think so? He has made tons of great movies. I disliked him when he was young. Didn't like him in "A River Runs through it" and my law school roommate went to high school with him and didn't have nice things to say. Since then, he's mostly been superb.

Seven
Ocean's 11, 12 and 13
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Snatch
12 Monkey's
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Meet Joe Black

Very few bad movies on the list
Complete List of Brad Pitt movies - IMDb

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You think so or don't think so? He has made tons of great movies. I disliked him when he was young. Didn't like him in "A River Runs through it" and my law school roommate went to high school with him and didn't have nice things to say. Since then, he's mostly been superb.

Seven
Ocean's 11, 12 and 13
Snatch
12 Monkey's
Meet Joe Black

I think he's another one like Tom Cruise who is always basically playing a different version of the same character, which is pretty close to what he's like in real life.

Your roommate would certainly know, but I get the sense that he's a lot like a cross between the characters he played in Thelma & Louise and True Romance.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think he's another one like Tom Cruise who is always basically playing a different version of the same character, which is pretty close to what he's like in real life.
Maybe mostly true, but his characters in 12 Monkeys and Snatch definitely don't fit the mold.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't love it, but Fight Club has to be one of Pitt's more acclaimed and notorious roles.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Your roommate would certainly know, but I get the sense that he's a lot like a cross between the characters he played in Thelma & Louise and True Romance.

Don't get the comparison to Cruise really. I think Jack Nicholson is that way, basically always playing "Jack Nicholson as...". But Pitt maybe gets labeled with that because his characters are always handsome men. But Pitt has been in a lot varied roles. @nwhoopfan brought up Moneyball where he plays against type. And Mickey the Pikey boxer in Snatch is one of the greatest characters in movie history. I thought he was great in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't get the comparison to Cruise really. I think Jack Nicholson is that way, basically always playing "Jack Nicholson as...". But Pitt maybe gets labeled with that because his characters are always handsome men. But Pitt has been in a lot varied roles. @nwhoopfan brought up Moneyball where he plays against type. And Mickey the Pikey boxer in Snatch is one of the greatest characters in movie history. I thought he was great in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
I haven't seen Moneyball or Snatch. No reason, just haven't seen them.

I thought OUATIH was fine but I didn't get the hype about it or his performance--again another one that I suspect is a lot like how he really is.

My Cruise comparison was meant to suggest that neither one of them is particularly known for his range, unlike, say, Christian Bale for example.

Reaction Score

Seven
Ocean's 11, 12 and 13
Snatch
12 Monkey's
Meet Joe Black

Legends of The Fall. I didn't see it when it came out but I think that was one of his biggies. I like the Ocean's movies and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. He was good in Deadpool 2 (I just found out he was in it)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Moneyball or Snatch. No reason, just haven't seen them.

I thought OUATIH was fine but I didn't get the hype about it or his performance--again another one that I suspect is a lot like how he really is.

My Cruise comparison was meant to suggest that neither one of them is particularly known for his range, unlike, say, Christian Bale for example.

He's not Tom Hanks. But then he hasn't really stopped looking like Brad Pitt. You need to see Snatch.

Cruise is on a whole different level though. Forget the character names and you can imagine that Joel from Risky Business, was also the football player in All the Right Moves. Then, after using his prostitution business to get into Princeton, he leaves after freshman year and becomes a Naval Aviator, code named Maverick in Top Gun. After that experience he decides to leave the military and becomes a pool shark in The Color of Money. Wanting out of that life he heads to the islands and woos Elizabeth Shue (because who wouldn't) as a bartender in Cocktail. He decides to go to law school, and winds up working for the mob in The Firm, so quits that, rejoins the military as a JAG in A Few Good Men. Seeing his varied experience as a pilot, lawyer, pool shark and bartender, plus knowledge of the prostitution business, an intelligence agency recruits him and he becomes Ethan Hunt in countless Mission Impossible movies.

I skipped a lot of movies, good and bad, but that could all be one guy! Same guy. Even his turn trying to kill Hitler seemed like the same guy, maybe Joel's dad.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Do Porky's
funniest thing i saw/heard today. bravissimo!

legends of the fall is a favorite. so too is 'less than zero' though his role is tiny/cameo as it was one of his first. for me, indelible from minute one.
little tommy cruise just plain stinks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"The Last of the Mohicans"-1920, 1936, 1992

Oh ye of little faith welcome to a journey filled with cases of postus interuptus, but which is purpoted to reveal the meaning of sedition, details of the first known example of biologic warfare, the reason why in the '92 film the principal character is named Nathaniel Poe, and the differences between Mohican and Mohegan.

All three versions are "based" on James Fennimore Cooper's novel. Cooperstown is named not for the famous writer, but for his father. I didn't bother reading the novel because I've read it before. and because I wastedtime tracking down Mark Twain's "The Literary Offenses of Fennimore Cooper. All three films deal with the events of 1757 at Fort William Henry near Lake George. After a short siege (10 days?) the British and Colonial troops under Col. James Munro surrendered to the French and Indians under General Montcalm. What happened afterwards is a matter of historical controversy. Whether they were killed in the fort or on the trail away from the fort is only one of the points of disagreement. The best current guess is somewhere between 80 and 140 were killed after surrender.
At the time it was believed over a 1.000 were filled. The deaths were blamed on the Huron allies of the French. In the force of 7,000 there were approximately 2,000 Huron warriors. In the 1920 film an intertitle reads: That night to the everlasting shame of our civilization covetous white men sold firewater to the Hurons, debauching the red men with drunken orgies." This propaganda colored the reactions primarily to the Native Americans. Montcalm's reputation took a hit, but this to many British confirmed the savagery of Indians the Hurons in particular. No one was more affected than General Jeffrey Amherst. He became commander of all British forces in North America. In the British-Indian war (Pontiac's War) of 1763 which began as soon as the 7 Year's War ended. Amherst had blankets infected with the smallpox virus distributed to the Indians. This was the first known act of biologic warfare.

The 1920 film was not the first film treatment of the story. It was the first full length treatment. It was selected by the Library of Congress for Preservation, YouTube has several versions available to stream for free. Clarence Brown and Maurice Tourneur share directing credit. Brown is a classic director known for films as diverse as Greta Garbo's Anna Christie, National Velvet, and Angels in the Outfield (1954). He was Tourneur's Assistant. He took over when his mentor became sick or was injured.

Postus Interuptus

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

Oh ye of little faith welcome to a journey filled with cases of postus interuptus, but which is purpoted to reveal the meaning of sedition, details of the first known example of biologic warfare, the reason why in the '92 film the principal character is named Nathaniel Poe, and the differences between Mohican and Mohegan.

All three versions are "based" on James Fennimore Cooper's novel. Cooperstown is named not for the famous writer, but for his father. I didn't bother reading the novel because I've read it before. and because I wastedtime tracking down Mark Twain's "The Literary Offenses of Fennimore Cooper. All three films deal with the events of 1757 at Fort William Henry near Lake George. After a short siege (10 days?) the British and Colonial troops under Col. James Munro surrendered to the French and Indians under General Montcalm. What happened afterwards is a matter of historical controversy. Whether they were killed in the fort or on the trail away from the fort is only one of the points of disagreement. The best current guess is somewhere between 80 and 140 were killed after surrender.
At the time it was believed over a 1.000 were filled. The deaths were blamed on the Huron allies of the French. In the force of 7,000 there were approximately 2,000 Huron warriors. In the 1920 film an intertitle reads: That night to the everlasting shame of our civilization covetous white men sold firewater to the Hurons, debauching the red men with drunken orgies." This propaganda colored the reactions primarily to the Native Americans. Montcalm's reputation took a hit, but this to many British confirmed the savagery of Indians the Hurons in particular. No one was more affected than General Jeffrey Amherst. He became commander of all British forces in North America. In the British-Indian war (Pontiac's War) of 1763 which began as soon as the 7 Year's War ended. Amherst had blankets infected with the smallpox virus distributed to the Indians. This was the first known act of biologic warfare.

The 1920 film was not the first film treatment of the story. It was the first full length treatment. It was selected by the Library of Congress for Preservation, YouTube has several versions available to stream for free. Clarence Brown and Maurice Tourneur share directing credit. Brown is a classic director known for films as diverse as Greta Garbo's Anna Christie, National Velvet, and Angels in the Outfield (1954). He was Tourneur's Assistant. He took over when his mentor became sick or was injured.

Postus Interuptus
'This was the first known act of biologic warfare.'
puh-leeze. any student of ancient, say, sumer to emperor augustus, history, swims in tales of biological warfare.
'There are numerous other instances of the use of plant toxins, venoms, and other poisonous substances to create biological weapons in antiquity.'
History of biological warfare - Wikipedia, but i'll cut you some slack and assume that you meant 'This was the first known act of biologic warfare in this conflict.'
and oh, neither they, nor anyone else is a 'native american.' they are accurately labeled 'First Nations,' cuz, you know, dna, the alaskan landbridge, dna,.... did i mention dna?

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The 1992 version cannot be discussed without mentioning the impact of the score, IMHO. That it didn't even get an Oscar nomination was absurd. This article, on the film's 25th anniversary, explains some reasons why it didn't get nominated, and why the score has endured as one of the best ever.

Reaction Score
This is quite an excellent film, but it strangely deviates from the novel. The film uses different tints to evoke moods. The single most memorable shot forme is the closing scene. We see Uncas' raised burial pier. Instead of having Hawkeye as a principal character, he is shoved to the background. Uncas (Alan Roscoe) is the hero. In other film versions Uncas pursues the blonde Munro daughter, Alice. Here Uncas and Cora (Barbara Belfore) are love interest. The most recognizable name in the film, Wallace Beery, plays Magua, the Huron who is always the primary evil foil.
In this version there is a vile traitor Captain Randolph (George Hackathorne). He not only has designs on Cora; he reveals to Montcalm that the British guns on one wall don't work. This information leads to the meeting of the respective leaders and to Munro's surrender.

Marcel Tourneur is the father of Jacques Tourneur a noted director of horror films in the40's. Marcel Tourneur was active directing in France during Vichy government. There is an extensive write-up on IDMb for those interested. I had never seen this film before my current effort. The acting is only adequate to good, but the photography is wonderful. The hint of inter-racial sex is pretty shocking.

The story was filmed in both French and German. With the arrival of sound there was renewed interest in filming this story. There was a serial made; I saw this many years ago, but I didn't bother to search it. In1936 with George Seitz directing and a Phillip Dunne screenplay, the film was re-made. This time it follows more closely the novel.
It is set in 1757 in the middle of the Seven Years War between Great Britain and France. There were battles in Europe, India, the West Indies as well as North America. The 36 version opens in London. George II ismeeting with key ministers including the great commoner ,William Pitt, and Marlborough.

interuptus

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The 1992 version cannot be discussed without mentioning the impact of the score, IMHO. That it didn't even get an Oscar nomination was absurd. This article, on the film's 25th anniversary, explains some reasons why it didn't get nominated, and why the score has endured as one of the best ever.

It is absolutely stunning. The cinematography is first rate as well.

Reaction Score
Back again

I will deal with the bio war and other questions anon.

The 36version did hew more closely to the original. Hawkeye (Natty Bumpo) is the hero, and the principal players include no Native Americans. It is interesting to note that in the book Munro's daughters come from different mothers. The first daughter, Cora's mother was part Afro?. They married in the West Indies. There is speculation about what %, but the book doesn't answer this question. Randolph Scott plays Hawkeye; Bruce Cabot,you may remember him from "King Kong", plays Magua. The daughter's names are switched. The elder becomes Alice, and the blonde becomes Cora. Her romance with Uncas is given prominence. Jhodi May (Alice 92) complained that most of her story was cut; she's right. 36 is a decent film, but nothing spectacular. Perhaps the most memorable scene is the one where a bare chested Randolph Scott is beaten with sticks by the Squaws prior to burning, this didn't come from the book. The ending is a little strange; Bumpo is cleared of the sedition charges when Major Hayward (Henry Wilcoxin) comes to his defense. He is let off and enlists as a scout. It's off to Montreal.

I'm not sure why Michael Mann decided to make a version in 1992, but I'm happy he did. It was an expensive production $40 million, but you can see the money on the screen. Fort William Henry was built from scratch with historically correct materials. The long rifles are exact replicas of the famous Pennsylvania long rifles. The spectacular killing tool used by Chingachook (Russell Means) is termed a riflestock ;this club supposedly dates back 1,000 years. Principal filming was in North Carolina in and around the Biltmore estate of George Vanderbilt.
North Carolina was chosen because the forest there was more like the first growth forest of the Mohawk Valley and the area around Lake George in the mid 18th century. The 36 film used Native American extras; interestingly they were paid by the Federal government under and NRA program. the 92 film used around 900 Native Americans both in front and behind the camera.. Daniel Day Lewis (Nathaniel Poe) spent 3 months living in the forest in preparation for his role. Casting was very important. Wes Studi (Magua) gave an Oscar worthy performance. It is interesting that the Native American cast members came from many tribes. Studi is of Cherokee descent, Means is Sioux, and Eric Schweig is an Inuit. Most of the extras were Cherokee.

In the mid 18th century there were 3 major tribal groupings in the North East part of North America:. the Iroquois, the Huron, and the Delaware. Collectively the Iroquois tribes supported the British in the French and Indian War. The Hurons were allies of the French. Both the Mohicans (NY) and the Mohegans (CT) are Delaware. The Delaware tried to maintain neutrality. When Magua and Hawkeye appear before the council to argue their case in the book and the 36 film, this is a Delaware village and sachem. In the 92 version it is a Huron village, In 92 it is Major Hayward at the stake. The extensive dialogue in Native languages in the film is most likely a mish mash of several languages. Wes Studi made this point in an interview. This points up the problems of making historical films, how far do you go to maintain historical accuracy? Remember this is fiction, I believe that the film makers must make us accept that we are in a different world. 92 certainly does that.

I should mention the work of the cinematographer, Dante Spirotti, he shot almost always in natural light. Mann took multiple takes. He ended up with over three hours of film. Several versions emerged. they all run just under three hours. Whole passages were lifted from Dunne's 36 script including Chingachook's speech over the grave of Uncas. It is impressive how Mann manages both the romance and action. Technically this is a top flight work. The score uses orchestral elements with traditional songs that fit the period. Madeline Stowe was reluctant to make the film. She couldn't see herself in an action film, the on screen results are excellent. Without Lewis' performance the film wouldn't hold together. This version and 36 are both available on Prime.

On to sedition. Sedition can be defined as aggressive opposition to a government; this includes promoting and/or participating in an uprising. This was a concern of the British Empire. The distance between the Americas and England made it logical to allow the colonies considerable freedom. 92 mentions indentured servitude and Hawkeye argues that the frontier promotes freedom. We also view a friendly relationship between the colonists and the Native Americans. Of course this was a moment in time; the treatment of Native peoples in this country has been pretty awful. Only in the 92 version has Hawkeye been raised as a Mohican. He is Chingachook's white son. There are multiple worlds involved. We have the Old World of the British Army, the New World of the colonists, and the Natural World on the Native Peoples struggling to co-exist in a moment of time.

You could try a brief binge watch viewing all three films. All are worth viewing, but 92 is the most involving. If you haven't seen the 20 silent film, this is a good option. Don't go off the deep end as I did. There are threads I uncovered which could take years to follow. Natty Bumpo Mann thought would make the audience snicker. I really must stop.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom