Films Worth Viewing Year 3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Films Worth Viewing Year 3

Reaction Score
"Spited Away"-Hayao Miyazaki-2001

As I wrote above films can take us to new places. This film reminds me of listening to scary stories around a campfire when I was in the boy scouts. Surprisingly, this film was a huge international success both with critics and with the public. If you read a lot of reviews, as I did on IMDb, you see how much filmistas in general were moved, but you also see for a minority how they didn't get it. I sense a mean spirited denial of others observations.

Hayao Miyazaki is a great artist. He is a classical animationist; everything begins with the hand drawings. I had occasion to mention "My Neighbor Totoro" before, and that isn't his only other success; "Princess Mononoke" and, "Castle in the Sky" come to mind. The story begins as many of the best tales do with a journey. The journey is not a novelty for Americans. We have the parents up front in a classy car; in the year seat is a 10 year old girl Chihiro complaining about this journey toward a new home away from friends and the life she has known. Part of it is the "are we there yet" syndrome, but some children are not comfortable upending their world. I have the feeling that Chihiro had made objections before and not been listened to. There is another familiar bit; the father always thinks he knows where he is he is never lost Chihiro calls him out, his response is
"I have four wheel drive." I was along for this ride. Think of a magician setting up a trick; we the audience have
been set up. This is no ordinary journey to a new home in the suburbs. Chihiro doesn't want to accept this new world which we will find populated by witches and other supernatural creatures. If that weren't bad enough none of the life rules or boundaries have anything to do with this new world.

Fortunately, Chihiro meets an older boy on the cusp of manhood, Haku, who provides her with information and help to enable her to exist in this new world. Oh wait, I forgot to mention that both her parents have turned int0 pigs. They ate too much food, and even worse it didn't belong to them, it belonged to spirits i.e. magical beings. Neither the audience nor Chihiro is aware of what is really going on. My continuing way into the story was to become more and more involved with Chihiro as she experienced this new world. Chihiro first learns how to exist, then what to expect, and finally how to achieve her goals.

Let me say a little about Miyazaki's working mode. The story is his. He begins with real life people. Chihiro is modeled on a friend of his daughter. The father is modeled on that girl's father. Miyazaki has written that: "It is not me who makes the film. The film makes itself, and I have no choice but to follow." I interpret that to mean that film evolves naturally in his mind. This creative process is not totally out there; Buster Keaton started with gags; Miyazaki started with people and how he could picture them. From each beginning there is a creative evolution to a finished product. Neither used a script.

I don't want to pre-empt the journey you may take if you choose to view this film, but I warn you that I couldn't find free streaming options. I watched this with English dubbing; Disney handled this process. The next time I watch "Spirited Away", I will opt for the Japanese language version with English subtitles. I found the film to be the development of Chihiro. She matures quickly; she must. First she shows great courage. The she shows great loyalty to the individual who helped her, including spirits. Finally she shows love not only for the beings she meets. That doesn't mean that she loses her sarcastic tone. When she is finally re-united with her parents (No longer pigs) and they are proceeding to their new home and new life: her father remarks" A new home and a new school, it is a bit scary." Chihiro replies: "I think I can handle it."

This is a brilliant film, a work of art, and it is excellent for family viewing. Search out the DVD.

Reaction Score
"Spited Away"-Hayao Miyazaki-2001

As I wrote above films can take us to new places. This film reminds me of listening to scary stories around a campfire when I was in the boy scouts. Surprisingly, this film was a huge international success both with critics and with the public. If you read a lot of reviews, as I did on IMDb, you see how much filmistas in general were moved, but you also see for a minority how they didn't get it. I sense a mean spirited denial of others observations.

Hayao Miyazaki is a great artist. He is a classical animationist; everything begins with the hand drawings. I had occasion to mention "My Neighbor Totoro" before, and that isn't his only other success; "Princess Mononoke" and, "Castle in the Sky" come to mind. The story begins as many of the best tales do with a journey. The journey is not a novelty for Americans. We have the parents up front in a classy car; in the year seat is a 10 year old girl Chihiro complaining about this journey toward a new home away from friends and the life she has known. Part of it is the "are we there yet" syndrome, but some children are not comfortable upending their world. I have the feeling that Chihiro had made objections before and not been listened to. There is another familiar bit; the father always thinks he knows where he is he is never lost Chihiro calls him out, his response is
"I have four wheel drive." I was along for this ride. Think of a magician setting up a trick; we the audience have
been set up. This is no ordinary journey to a new home in the suburbs. Chihiro doesn't want to accept this new world which we will find populated by witches and other supernatural creatures. If that weren't bad enough none of the life rules or boundaries have anything to do with this new world.

Fortunately, Chihiro meets an older boy on the cusp of manhood, Haku, who provides her with information and help to enable her to exist in this new world. Oh wait, I forgot to mention that both her parents have turned int0 pigs. They ate too much food, and even worse it didn't belong to them, it belonged to spirits i.e. magical beings. Neither the audience nor Chihiro is aware of what is really going on. My continuing way into the story was to become more and more involved with Chihiro as she experienced this new world. Chihiro first learns how to exist, then what to expect, and finally how to achieve her goals.

Let me say a little about Miyazaki's working mode. The story is his. He begins with real life people. Chihiro is modeled on a friend of his daughter. The father is modeled on that girl's father. Miyazaki has written that: "It is not me who makes the film. The film makes itself, and I have no choice but to follow." I interpret that to mean that film evolves naturally in his mind. This creative process is not totally out there; Buster Keaton started with gags; Miyazaki started with people and how he could picture them. From each beginning there is a creative evolution to a finished product. Neither used a script.

I don't want to pre-empt the journey you may take if you choose to view this film, but I warn you that I couldn't find free streaming options. I watched this with English dubbing; Disney handled this process. The next time I watch "Spirited Away", I will opt for the Japanese language version with English subtitles. I found the film to be the development of Chihiro. She matures quickly; she must. First she shows great courage. The she shows great loyalty to the individual who helped her, including spirits. Finally she shows love not only for the beings she meets. That doesn't mean that she loses her sarcastic tone. When she is finally re-united with her parents (No longer pigs) and they are proceeding to their new home and new life: her father remarks" A new home and a new school, it is a bit scary." Chihiro replies: "I think I can handle it."

This is a brilliant film, a work of art, and it is excellent for family viewing. Search out the DVD.

I mentioned this in one of the Movie Hindsight threads. My brother in law and I are both in the habit of bringing DVD's of various movies for viewing while visiting my family at Christmas. A couple of years ago, my brother in law brought along "Spirited Away". Absolutely terrific stuff, my wife and I were spellbound by this film.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in one of the Movie Hindsight threads. My brother in law and I are both in the habit of bringing DVD's of various movies for viewing while visiting my family at Christmas. A couple of years ago, my brother in law brought along "Spirited Away". Absolutely terrific stuff, my wife and I were spellbound by this film.
I do the same thing ;I was planning to give several Miyazaki films to my nieces, but given the situation, I am unlikely to see them this Christmas.

Reaction Score
"The Prestige,"-Christopher Nolan-2006

Nolan had not achieved directorial stardom when he made this film. He had to fight to get the rights to a novel.
He assembled a terrific cast: Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Scarlet Johanson, David Bowie, and Ricki Jay. Ricki Jay? Ah, he is a magician who became a character actor and an advisor of magic to the film world. This film takes us inside the world of stage magicians. The film opens with Cutter (Michael Caine) informing the audience of the three acts of a magic performance as he demonstrates a trick to an enthralled young girl. As he explains, the play begins with the Pledge. This sets up a seemingly real situation; the second act is the Turn. Here the initial reality is challenged; this leads to the Prestige where a seeming reality is restored. The world of stage magic is trickery, not real magic but an illusion. Real magic if it exists is wizardry.

Milton (Ricky Jay) is an accomplished stage magician. He has two young assistants Albert Bodel (Christian Bale) and Robert Angier (Hugh Jackman). Albert is becoming dismissive of Milton. He isn't working on new tricks. Both work under the observation of Cutter(Michael Caine) who designs and constructs the apparatus which allow the illusion to be performed on stage. Albert wants to work on the catching bullet illusion. This can be dangerous. Cutter sets the two aspirants a task; observe the act of a Chinese magician and discover how he works his goldfish bowl illusion.

The world of magic has many fakes. Those would be individuals who claim that magic tricks are not tricks at all but are real, or who claim such supernatural powers as mind reading or communing with the dead. In his lifetime Harry Houdini exposed hundreds of magic/spiritualist fakes. In the more modern era The Amazing Randi built half his career exposing fakes. In the film one of Milton's best illusions is to put his female assistant
into a tank with her hands and arms securely tied. The tank is filled with water. The top is closed; then a curtain falls. When the cutain rises the assistan appears the assistant will have escaped the tank. The assistant is Robert's intended. Cutter watches Robert and Albert tie the knots. Albert has a tendency to tie knots which are difficult and not water safe. One night the assistant can't untie the knots and despite the best efforts of Cutter to break open the tank with a sledge hammer, she dies. Albert can't remember which knot he used. Robert holds him responsible for the death of his intended. This sets off a struggle of many years between the two young magicians.

The film is replete with references to magic tricks and magicians of the past. The trick with the bird cage we see to open the film was first performed by a French Magician in the 1840's. The film is set in the 1890's. When Robert and Albert go to see the Chinese magician, that is a reference to Chiang Ling Soo in reality William Ellsworth Robinson who performed in disguise throughout his career. He died performing the bullet catching trick in1918. Then if you put together the first letters of the young men's names you have ABRA as in abra cadabra.

Albert develops a great trick, The Transported Man, Robert desperately wants to discover how the trick was performed. This leads Robert to seek out Tesla, Edison's great rival and an authentic genius. Robert believes that Tesla can construct a machine which will allow Robert to perform real magic in his Transported Man.

I am leaving the rest for your viewing pleasure. In terms of visual artistry this is an excellent film. The acting is more than solid, cudos to Michael Caine. This was a solid money maker, and many people rate this as Nolan's best film. If I tell you why I don't agree I will reveal the flaw in the third act. This is available for free streaming. I recommend it highly for entertainment.

Reaction Score
"The Illusionist"-Neil Berger-2006

This was the second major film about magicians made in 2006. It had less fanfare than "The Prestige." It made solid money at the box office. It was primarily shot in the Czech Republic where costs were much lower. Prague offered solid options in terms of settings for this period film. This is set in the ;ate 1890's in Vienna. A working class boy grows up with a passion for magic instigated by his boyhood meeting with a traveling magician, He also develops a crush on the daughter of a Duke. This son of craftsman (cabinet maker) leaves his home and travels the world for many years. He returns as a magician who is a successful stage performer in Vienna. He takes the stage name Eisenheim. Eisenheim (Edward Norton) has mystical/spititual aspects in his act. The act attracts the notice of the Hapsburg court. Crown Prince Leopold (Rufus Sewell) and his entourage attend a performance. . Sophie( Jessica Biel) is the Crown Prince's entourage. She and Eisenheim re-connect.

Eisenheim is watched closely by Chief Inspector Uhl (Brad Giamatti)who serves the interests of the crown prince.
There is a struggle between the Crown Prince and Eisenheim. Uhl is an uncomfortable observer. The Crown Prince is seeking to overthrow his father the emperor.

Norton was trained by British magician James Friedman and American magician Ricky Jay. Friedman's hands are substituted for Norton's for some tricks. Eisenheim says "Everything you have seen here has been an illusion." This is important because Eisenheim's act now features images of deceased people on stage. Uhl has to tread a fine line. He has become disillusioned with the Crown Prince. Eisenheim asks him: "Are you totally corrupt?" Uhl replies: "No, not completely, which is why I advise you not to accuse anyone."

Leopold is based on Crown Prince Rudolph who killed himself and his mistress. Eddis Marsan plays Eisenheim's manager. I think this is solid entertainment.

Reaction Score
"The Illusionist"-Neil Berger-2006

This was the second major film about magicians made in 2006. It had less fanfare than "The Prestige." It made solid money at the box office. It was primarily shot in the Czech Republic where costs were much lower. Prague offered solid options in terms of settings for this period film. This is set in the ;ate 1890's in Vienna. A working class boy grows up with a passion for magic instigated by his boyhood meeting with a traveling magician, He also develops a crush on the daughter of a Duke. This son of craftsman (cabinet maker) leaves his home and travels the world for many years. He returns as a magician who is a successful stage performer in Vienna. He takes the stage name Eisenheim. Eisenheim (Edward Norton) has mystical/spititual aspects in his act. The act attracts the notice of the Hapsburg court. Crown Prince Leopold (Rufus Sewell) and his entourage attend a performance. . Sophie( Jessica Biel) is the Crown Prince's entourage. She and Eisenheim re-connect.

Eisenheim is watched closely by Chief Inspector Uhl (Brad Giamatti)who serves the interests of the crown prince.
There is a struggle between the Crown Prince and Eisenheim. Uhl is an uncomfortable observer. The Crown Prince is seeking to overthrow his father the emperor.

Norton was trained by British magician James Friedman and American magician Ricky Jay. Friedman's hands are substituted for Norton's for some tricks. Eisenheim says "Everything you have seen here has been an illusion." This is important because Eisenheim's act now features images of deceased people on stage. Uhl has to tread a fine line. He has become disillusioned with the Crown Prince. Eisenheim asks him: "Are you totally corrupt?" Uhl replies: "No, not completely, which is why I advise you not to accuse anyone."

Leopold is based on Crown Prince Rudolph who killed himself and his mistress. Eddis Marsan plays Eisenheim's manager. I think this is solid entertainment.

I agree, "The Illusionist" is solid entertainment, with two solid performances by Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti in the leading roles as they go back and forth with each other. My wife absolutely loves this movie.

Reaction Score
"Phantom of the Opera"-Terrence Fisher-1963

This is the Hammer films version of the classic Gaston Theroux story. Terrence Fisher was a Hammer stalwart;he directed perhaps the best Hammer Horror film ,"The Horror of Dracula." This film was a box office flop. The curious back story helps to explain why. For some reason Cary Grant decided he wanted to make a horror film.
Phantom was thought to be a suitable choice. With Grant in mind, the story was changed to make the Phantom more sympathetic. A new character was introduced, Bill, a mute dwarf who did the violence. After reading the script, Grant declined the role. (See my discussion of the other Phantoms July 2019, page 9 year 2.)

In this story version, Lord Ambrose D'Arcy steals Dr. .Petries' compositions and issues them under his name. Petrie starts a fire at the publisher's and he ends up disfigured. He escapes the fire, and with the help of Bill he sets up under the opera. He has Bill kidnap Christine Charles, the young soprano who will sing the lead role in his opera "Joan of Arc." He teaches her how to maximize her potential. The producer, Harry Hunter (Edward D'Souza), has fallen in love with Christine when she turns up missing , he searches for her. He finds the Phantom, Herbert Lom. The opera is a success and Lord Ambrose (Michael Gough) gets his comeuppance.

The opera staging is well done. The Phantom plays the organ. The underground lair is well done. The film just doesn't have the shock horror value of the 1923 version. It's too nice. I believe Fisher might have made a much better Phantom if Cary Grant hadn't had a whim to make a horror film.

This is still a watchable film. It streams for free.

Reaction Score
"Shazam!"-David F. Sandberg-2019

I like this film. I was never a super fan of comics growing up, but even I remember some slogans" "D.C.Comics are good comics" for instance. As I remember it comics had a circular seal which let you know that they were free of polluting elements. "Shazam!" takes us back to a more idealistic and simple time. Remember the first issue of Captain Marvel came out in 1940. He was the first superhero with a movie "Adventures of Captain Marvel" in 1941. The original Captain Marvel appeared in Whiz comics a subsidiary of Fawcett Comics. There was no issue #1. Issue #2 begins the saga with a classic villain, Dr. Savana as well as the hero, Captain Marvel.
The magic word, Shazam, always troubled me. It mixes two Gods, Zeus and Mercury, with heroes (Hercules ,and Achilles) with two outliers, Atlas and Solomon. Atlas is a Titan and Solomon is a Biblical king noted for wisdom.
Back in the day we learned Greco/Roman mythology in school. Solomon we learned about in Sunday School. Origin stories are always interesting. Of course in the comic world, we are offered anew origin story every generation or so. This movie is based on the latest re-boot of Captain Marvel which begins in 2013. The character loses the name Captain Marvel and it is sort of replaced by Shazam. I say sort of because in the movie a name is never settled upon until his family has their hands on the staff. He asks them to say his name; they all say Billy Batson. Of course that doesn't work, he tells them to say Shazam. This magic word unlocks the power of the staff and each of his brothers and sisters becomes a super hero.

The film begins in 1974 with the origin story of the villain, Savana. The last wizard has kept the seven deadly sins bound in stone statues for thousands of years. His powers are fading and he has been searching for someone pure of heart to transfer his powers. This individual must be pure of heart so he will not be tempted by the evil power of the seven deadly sins. Savana fails the test; he wants the magical eye of Envy. Savana is a child at the time. While it is never explained, we are led to believe children are tested because they are more likely to be pure. Of course Billy Batson is brought before the wizard. He receives the power via the staff. He is an unlikely choice. Years before he is separated from his mother at a carnival. He bounces between foster homes. He is searching for his mother.

The children in his new foster home are mixed racially and by sex. The foster parents were themselves products of the foster care system. They work hard to provide a home. Billy Batson has these incredible powers but no home. From his foster siblings he learns how to use his powers and has for the first time since he lost his mother he gains an emotional connection. Saying the magic word Shazam makes him an adult sized child super hero. The film harkens back to the classic comedy "Big."

Zack Levy plays the transformed Billy Batson. He relies on Freddy (Jack Dylan Grazer) to discover the nature of his powers and how to use them. Of course Savana now re-appears. He wants Billy Batson to transfer the powers via the staff. This is solid entertainment. Mark Strong (Savana) gives a solid performance. Zach Levy is well cast as the superhero form of Billy Batson. He projects the same innocence he did in "Chuck" where he was the intercept. Despite a coda where Savana is in prison and a mysterious figure appears who will let him out; I don't see a viable sequel. Innocence must be lost in a sequel, and that is the principle virtue of this film.

This merits a solid recommendation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Joker"-Todd Phillips-2019

I mentioned my interest in origin stories yesterday. That interest had me thinking about "Logan" which is the opposite of an origin story. That film discusses what happens after the ball is over. My point is that if the rumored sequel is made; then I hope that it is as thought provoking as the "Joker." Like Oliver in Oliver Twist; I say sir please give me more. I believe that most of you have viewed "Joker" since its' October 2019 premier. It is another example of DC Comics taking a chance. As comic based films go, this had a tiny budget around $55 million. Of course it made over a billion, and it won the Golden Lion at the Venice film festival. The Joker has become a pop culture icon, DC was worried about hurting the brand. That could cost multiple millions in sales of products. Of course that didn't happen.

Arthur Fleck (Joaquin Phoenix) is an unhappy loner who lives with his mother and makes his living as a clown. He has a tentative relationship with a young woman who lives in his building, Sophie Dummond (Zazie Beetz).
He hopes to become a stand-up comedian. There is a theory that most of us are only a bad day or two from madness. Arthur's run of bad days begins when a group of teenagers steal his sign advertising everything must go for a local business. He chases after them, and he is soundly beaten for his trouble. This Gotham is NYC in the early '80's when urban decay was more than just a soundbite. The garbage men are on strike. The city is experiencing a budget crunch. This directly impacts Arthur because he is losing his social worker/counselor due to budget cuts.

Joaquin Phoenix's performance as Joker/Fleck is the centerpiece of the film. Phoenix lost 55 lbs to play the role.
He perfected a more than memorable laugh. He had the ability to change his performance in every shot. This was part of the reason why the first cut was 155 minutes. The release cut over half an hour. Arthur's world falls apart. His mother, a mental patient, reveals shocking information about his birth. While in clown make-up on the subway he shoots and kills 3 Wayne industries white collar thugs who are harassing him. Somehow this becomes a symbol of class warfare. People began wearing clown masks at demonstrations.

This is handled very skillfully. The fact that very little CGI was used lends to the grittyness.. I like the soundtrack which blends original music with songs from the era. Hildur Guanadottir wrote the score after reading the script and discussions with the director. This enabled the score to be played during shooting. Sergio Leone used this technique. Phoenix was influenced by silent comedians Buster Keeton and Ray Bolger. Martin Scorcese was originally a choice to direct; there is no doubt that his style and storytelling is invoked particularly "King Of Comedy." Robert DeNiro plays Murray Franklin, a late night comedian, who invites Fleck on his show,

This is a film with a remarkable leading performance and professionalism in all areas aspiring to artistry in several. It is also remarkably dark. Adrian Raine, a criminal psychologist, found the film to be remarkable in showing how a murderer might be created. He shows it in his classes. The Joker has become a symbol of revolt against the status quo around the world. This is probably why the film wasn't released in China, the world's 2nd largest market. My highest recommendation, but this is brutal watching.

Reaction Score
"The House I Live In" Frank Sinatra and Paul Robeson

I had the very strong feeling watching Biden's speech tonight that I would have liked to have written his speech.
My strong feeling was that he should have talked about coming home. Coming home to an America which is what I hope she could be. Then I thought about a great anthem which expresses this feeling better than I ever could. The music is by Eric Robinson and lyrics by Lewis Allan (Abel Meeropol). The two best known versions are by Frank Sinatra and Paul Robeson. Both are available on YouYube. The lyrics differ slightly so I am Going to offer both. Sinatra's came from an RKO movie. The Library of Congress has a good version.

Sinatra "The House I Lvie In"

What is America to me?
A name, a map, a flag to me
A certain word democracy
What is America to me?

The house I live in
A plot of earth, a street
The grocer and the butcher
Or the people That I meet

The children in the playground
The faces that I see
All races and religions
That's America to me

The place I work in
The worker by my side
The little town, the city
Where my people lived and died

The howdy and the Handshake
The air of feeling free
The right to speak your mind
That's America to me

The things I see about me
The big things and the small
The Little corner newsstand
Or the house a mile tall

The wedding and the churchyard
The laughter and the tears
And the dream.

Robeson lyrics

What is America to me?
A name, a map, a flag I see
A certain word Democracy
What is America to me?

The house I live in
The friends that I have found
The folks beyond the railroad
And the people all around

The worker and the farmer
and sailor on the sea
The men who built this country
That's America to me.

The words of old Abe Lincoln
of Jefferson and Paine
of Washington and Jackson
and the tasks that still remain.

The little bridge at Concord
where freedom's fight began
of Gettysburg and Midway
and the story of Bataan

The house I live in
My neighbors White and Black
The people who just came here
Or from generations back
The town hall and the soapbox
The torch of Liberty
A home for all God's children
That's America to me

The house I live in
The goodness everywhere
A land of wealth and beauty
With enough for all to share
A name that we call Freedom
The home of Liberty
But especially the people
That's America to me.

But especially the people
That's the true America.

The Robeson version is available on Youtube.

I apologize to anyone this might offend, but I couldn't face writing about a film. I am by nature a pessimist,
but tonight I found some hope. Pandora's box is not empty, and surprisingly I still believe in the America which is a home for all of us.

Reaction Score
I've been watching some David Griffin movies from the the teens and 20s. What's remarkable about them is that the his narrative style is still the template for many films today including his use of flashbacks. I also think that his use of close ups was lost for many years until Sergio Leone brought it back for spaghetti westerns.

As for the Biden. I think he cements 2020 as the worst year ever.

Reaction Score
"Arsenic and Old Lace'-Frank Capra-1944

This is considered a classic madcap comedy. If you view Capra's filmography, this is a bit strange. What was Capra doing making this film in the middle of WWII? Capra enlisted along with many other leading directors; during the war they made the classic documentaries that are well worth viewing today. Actually, Capra shot the film prior to his enlistment. He was granted a short time to complete editing. So then why was the film kept on the shelf for two Years? The deal with the play's producers was that the film wouldn't be released until the end of the Broadway run was completed. The play ran for over 1,400 performances. There is one final note; while Capra was in London in 1943;he overheard American troops yelling "Charge,: one of the classic lines from the movie. Hal Wallis released it to the troops early. The official premier was in September 1944 in NYC. This meant that it was ignored at the Oscars.

Capra wanted to make a film that wasn't socially relevant. He knew he was going to war; he wanted to make a fun movie. This was his choice. The Epstein brothers, Julius and Phillip were brought in to write the screenplay.
The Brewster house was the largest set ever built at Warner's at the time. The play's producers refused to let Boris Karloff out of his contract to make the play. He was the top billed star of the Broadway production; Cary Grant was top billed in the movie.

There was a trope beloved in the WWII era that Brooklyn was la la cuckoo land. This is introduced in a sort of preamble with a brawl at a Brooklyn Dodgers' game. Next we are introduced to Mortimer Brewster (Cary Grant)
and Elaine Harper (Priscilla Lane) at the register;s office applying for a marriage license. Brewster, a drama critic, is even better know for his books trashing marriage. He tries to conceal his identity from prowling reporters looking for the famous in the lines. We next meet one of the Brewster aunts , Abby, (Josephine Hull) at home where she entertains her neighbor, Reverend Harper, at tea. Two local police come by. One, officer O'Hara (Jack Carson) is introduced as the new man on the beat. The Brewster sisters are known as loving and caring residents. Mortimer returns to his aunt's home. Elaine is going to change her clothes, and then they will be off to Niagra Falls for their honeymoon.

Unfortunately, Mortimer discovers that there is a dead body concealed in the window seat. The other sister comes home, Mortimer discovers that this latest body makes an even dozen. These lovable spinsters are mass murderers. Their method is elderberry wine made from local berries growing in the adjacent graveyard.
The wine is sweetened with a mixture of arsenic and two other poisons. They Hayes office was worried about releasing the recipe, but sanity prevailed and the script wasn't changed. This is a problem for Mortimer. He decides to solve it by pinning all the bodies on his brother Teddy , (John Adair) who believes he is Teddy Roosevelt. His part in the project is to dig locks in the Panama Canal and to bury malaria victims. Adair is very good and very funny in his role. Grant has some unbelievable facial expressions.

The madness doesn't stop. While Mortimer is completing his plan to send Teddy to a rest home; his long lost brother, Jonathan (Raymond Massey) shows up with Dr. Einstein (Peter Lorre). Jonathan is a normal serial murderer; he has left bodies across much of the world. He arrives with a body in tow. He looks like the Frankenstein monster (Boris Karloff). Einstein will give him a new face. This film relishes each new bit of craziness. I should mention that the film finds screen time for several classic character actors Jimmy Gleeson and Edward Everett Horton.

Opinions are divided about this film. Most find it one of the funniest films of all time; the minority finds it pretty awful. A few like me find it has some solid pleasures and great lines, but that it doesn't really sniff greatness. I think it is enjoyable and worth viewing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been watching some David Griffin movies from the the teens and 20s. What's remarkable about them is that the his narrative style is still the template for many films today including his use of flashbacks. I also think that his use of close ups was lost for many years until Sergio Leone brought it back for spaghetti westerns.

As for the Biden. I think he cements 2020 as the worst year ever.
You mean D.W. Griffith, I think? I will do several of his films. They are on the list in my head, particularly "The Birth of a Nation" and "Intolerance."

Reaction Score
You mean D.W. Griffith, I think? I will do several of his films. They are on the list in my head, particularly "The Birth of a Nation" and "Intolerance."

Thanks for the D. W. Griffith translation. The reference to David Griffin had left me scratching my head. It just didn't occur to me that it was a reference was to one of the giants of cinema.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Arsenic and Old Lace'-Frank Capra-1944

This is considered a classic madcap comedy. If you view Capra's filmography, this is a bit strange. What was Capra doing making this film in the middle of WWII? Capra enlisted along with many other leading directors; during the war they made the classic documentaries that are well worth viewing today. Actually, Capra shot the film prior to his enlistment. He was granted a short time to complete editing. So then why was the film kept on the shelf for two Years? The deal with the play's producers was that the film wouldn't be released until the end of the Broadway run was completed. The play ran for over 1,400 performances. There is one final note; while Capra was in London in 1943;he overheard American troops yelling "Charge,: one of the classic lines from the movie. Hal Wallis released it to the troops early. The official premier was in September 1944 in NYC. This meant that it was ignored at the Oscars.

Capra wanted to make a film that wasn't socially relevant. He knew he was going to war; he wanted to make a fun movie. This was his choice. The Epstein brothers, Julius and Phillip were brought in to write the screenplay.
The Brewster house was the largest set ever built at Warner's at the time. The play's producers refused to let Boris Karloff out of his contract to make the play. He was the top billed star of the Broadway production; Cary Grant was top billed in the movie.

There was a trope beloved in the WWII era that Brooklyn was la la cuckoo land. This is introduced in a sort of preamble with a brawl at a Brooklyn Dodgers' game. Next we are introduced to Mortimer Brewster (Cary Grant)
and Elaine Harper (Priscilla Lane) at the register;s office applying for a marriage license. Brewster, a drama critic, is even better know for his books trashing marriage. He tries to conceal his identity from prowling reporters looking for the famous in the lines. We next meet one of the Brewster aunts , Abby, (Josephine Hull) at home where she entertains her neighbor, Reverend Harper, at tea. Two local police come by. One, officer O'Hara (Jack Carson) is introduced as the new man on the beat. The Brewster sisters are known as loving and caring residents. Mortimer returns to his aunt's home. Elaine is going to change her clothes, and then they will be off to Niagra Falls for their honeymoon.

Unfortunately, Mortimer discovers that there is a dead body concealed in the window seat. The other sister comes home, Mortimer discovers that this latest body makes an even dozen. These lovable spinsters are mass murderers. Their method is elderberry wine made from local berries growing in the adjacent graveyard.
The wine is sweetened with a mixture of arsenic and two other poisons. They Hayes office was worried about releasing the recipe, but sanity prevailed and the script wasn't changed. This is a problem for Mortimer. He decides to solve it by pinning all the bodies on his brother Teddy , (John Adair) who believes he is Teddy Roosevelt. His part in the project is to dig locks in the Panama Canal and to bury malaria victims. Adair is very good and very funny in his role. Grant has some unbelievable facial expressions.

The madness doesn't stop. While Mortimer is completing his plan to send Teddy to a rest home; his long lost brother, Jonathan (Raymond Massey) shows up with Dr. Einstein (Peter Lorre). Jonathan is a normal serial murderer; he has left bodies across much of the world. He arrives with a body in tow. He looks like the Frankenstein monster (Boris Karloff). Einstein will give him a new face. This film relishes each new bit of craziness. I should mention that the film finds screen time for several classic character actors Jimmy Gleeson and Edward Evert Horton.

Opinions are divided about this film. Most find it one of the funniest films of all time; the minority finds it pretty awful. A few like me find it has some solid pleasures and great lines, but that it doesn't really sniff greatness. I think it is enjoyable and worth viewing.

I like Arsenic and Old Lace quite a bit, especially as it has a bunch of actors in it that you referenced that I always enjoy watching. This film is a particular favorite of my wife.

Reaction Score
"Gospel" Rev. James Cleveland, Shirley Caesar, Mighty Clouds of Joy et. al.-1983

This is available on IMDb free with ads. I'm not sure how many of you have even a passing awareness of Gospel Music. One of my all time genres is Southern Soul. You can hear echoes of Black Evangelical religious music in artists as diverse as James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, Aretha Franklin, Solomon Burke, and Al Green. However, this is the real thing; the sacred not mixed with the profane. I have mentioned that I sang in choirs for years, but this isn't my church music. This is a live concert recorded and filmed in the Bay Area in the early '80's. It has lots of audience participation. Can I get a witness? Expressions of joy are every where. There is dancing, clapping, and singing. Much of the audience is on their feet as often as they are seated. This was followed in the late 80's by "Oh, Holy Day" which has the outtakes from the concert. It is available on Prime, but don't waste your time. Since the title hymn is one of my favorites try Aretha's version on YouTube. An example of how Gospel can form the basis for a secular song is "None of Us Is Free," by the great Bishop Solomon Burke again on YouTube.
Finally check out James Brown appearance on the Tammi Show. His dance moves influence Michael Jackson and his performance of "Please, Please, Please" is reminiscent of a James Cleveland performance. In this case the drummer's sticks are taken not once bur twice. Then he is banished from the stage, but he returns to drum again for the song's conclusion. Shirley Caesar is a great storyteller. The Mighty Clouds of Joy have the most amazing falsetto singer I've ever heard. I challenge you to sit quietly during this performance. Bring some much needed joy into your life.

This isn't a great music documentary. It is just a competent filming of great performances, and some not so great performances. Still this is very highly recommended.

Reaction Score
"Mississippi Masala"-Mira Nair-1991

I just read a blip stating that Nair is looking for a good print of this film so that it can be re-issued. With Kamala Harris elected as vice-president the film is quite relevant. Kamala's mother came from India. The film is set primarily in Greenwood, Mississippi. It features a romance between Meena (Sumitra Choudhray) and Demetrius
Williams (Denzel Washington). She is an Indian immigrant, and he is a native of Mississippi. That is only one aspect of the story; Meena's family was forced to flee Uganda when Idi Amin came to power. The British brought Indians to Uganda to build a railroad; many stayed on. Those of you who have seen :"Gandhi" may remember that the same thing happened in South Africa. This is where Gandhi first used his non violent tactics.
Meena"s father, Jay (Roshan Seth), is still trying to regain his lost property in Uganda after almost 20 years after he was forced out.

In some ways the multiple stories are a weakness. However, the central premise is so thought provoking that I didn't really mind. In both India and in the US, skin color is important. In my village in Tamilnad it was called having a good complexion, i.e. a lighter skin color. Among Americans expressions like "High Yellow" were common. In the film it is explicitly stated that you can be poor and light skinned and make a favorable match, or you can be rich and dark and make a favorable match, but not poor and dark.

Mina Nair developed the idea for this film when she discovered that all across the South immigrant Indians owned and ran motels. Nair dealt with a similar issue in the much better known "Namesake." In that film an Indian is involved with a White American girl. In "Mississippi Masala" an Indian girl is involved with a Black American. Both the Indian immigrants and the American Blacks exhibit prejudice. Meena and Demetrius have to runaway to start a new life together. Jay returns to Uganda to pursue his suit, but he discovers that his home is really with his wife in Greenwood, Mississippi.

The film handles this much more skillfully than I did. The acting is good to excellent. The film begins and ends in Uganda. All the filming was on location even including the small bit in England. The film's music is truly excellent. It mixes African, Indian, and music from the U,S, South brilliantly. The film never achieved popular success; still it made Roger Ebert's top ten list for 1991. Nair is one of those film makers who is both universal and particular. "Salam Bombay", her first feature, is the story of street kids n India. "Monsoon Wedding" takes us to Delhi where Indian immigrants to America return to be married in India. In the "Queen of Katwe" a young girl in Uganda discovers chess. She re-made "Vanity Fair." Nair herself was educated in Delhi and Harvard. She is a Canadian citizen. She travels the world making films most often dealing with common features of all humans. She also deals with cultural intersections in thoughtful ways. I think she is vastly under appreciated. Think of this as an opportunity to experience something new. This film streams for free on 123, but you may have to try several options before you hit the right one. Highly recommended.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the D. W. Griffith translation. The reference to David Griffin had left me scratching my head. It just didn't occur to me that it was a reference was to one of the giants of cinema.
He did a lot of Lillian Gish pictures that were aimed at the female audience. Interesting but very slow by today's standards.

BTW, the D stands for David.

Reaction Score
He did a lot of Lillian Gish pictures that were aimed at the female audience. Interesting but very slow by today's standards.

BTW, the D stands for David.

I might have gotten it if you had spelled the last name Griffith correctly. Of course, it is not a big gulf between Griffith and Griffin, but sometimes the mind moves a tad slowly and doesn't make the quick connection as we get older.

Reaction Score
"The Birth of a Nation"-D.W. Griffiih-1915

This is the first feature film made in the U.S. It was very expensive; it cost $110,000. The world wide box office has been estimated at anywhere from $10-50 million. It made more money than any US film until "Gone With the Wind" in 1939. It is ranked #44 on AFI's list of the 100 most notable American films. It is a must see for anyone really interested in film history. It is the first film to have a major social impact. Unfortunately, the social impact is pretty universally regarded as very negative.

The film is based on the novels and a stage play :The Clansman: by Thomas Dixon Jr. This play extolling the Ku Klux Klan was a huge success. Griffith's actress wife had a leading role in a touring company production. Griffith had to raise considerable money to make this film. He promised Dixon $10,000, but Dixon had to settle for $2,500 and a percentage of the admissions. This was before the era of big studios and theater chains. LB. Mayer made a fortune when he secured the rights to distribute the film in several states. There were protests against the overly racist movie. They were unsuccessful; the film was in continual release through the mid twenties.

The film is directly linked to the modern Klan founded in 1915 by Reverend William Simmons. He gathered a group of white supremacists at Stone Mountain Georgia. The ceremonies included a ritual cross burning. He brought his group to Atlanta where they rode on horses through the streets until they reached the theater. They wore Klan regalia as depicted in the movie. The new Klan had somewhere between 4 and 10 million members by the mid 20's. They were very strong in the mid-west as well as the South, but there were chapters throughout the U.S.
The new Klan was anti foreign as well as anti Black. There was a rising anti immigrant feeling rising through the country.

The president, Woodrow Wilson, was a noted racist. He segregated the civil service and got rid of many Blacks. He went to College with Dixon. Dixon convinced Wilson to show the film at the White House. It was the first film so screened. Reported racist comments supporting the film by Wilson were denied by the White House. They claimed that Wilson didn't know the nature of the film before he saw it. That isn't accepted by historians, Dixon even nominated him to receive an honorary degree from Wake Forrest, Wilson's thank you letter is available. Wilson's American history has many racially offensive comments. The film was shown to the members of the Supreme Court, who publicly approved of' the film's point of view.

The original film was 12 reels. It runs over three hours. t was shown with an intermission. The ticket prices were astronomically high for the day. The charged over two dollars in NYC. Even a decade later first run films
tickets were no more than a quarter. The film had a specially composed score which would be played by an orchestra or piano depending upon the venue. Other technical innovations used expertly in the film were tracking shots, shots from elevated cameras, intricate cuts, and key hole fade ins and outs. It is often compared with "Citizen Kane" for technical proficiency and innovation. It is also compared with Leni Rifenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" as promoting hate through masterful technique. I neglected to mention tinting the negative for visual effects.

One caution, there was only one original negative. When the film entered the public domain all new prints were taken from existing prints. The quality was degraded as the available prints were further and further from the original. The film is readily available; I have a very good DVD; However the best available version is a two disc blue ray from Kino.

Roger Ebert called it:..."a great film which argues for evil." He also wrote: "All serious moviegoers must sooner or later arrive at a point where they see a film for what it is and not what they feel about it." Andrew Serris wrote that TBOAN "was regarded as outrageously racist even in a time when racism was hardly a household word." Let me conclude with two of the intertitles: "The former enemies of North and South are united again in common defense of their Aryan Brotherhood".: One of the final intertitles is a quote from Daniel Webster:" Liberty and Union, now and forever, One and Inseparable."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"To Catch a Thief"-Alfred Hitchcock-1955

I think this film is dissed unfairly. It is beautifully photographed by Robert Burks, but knowing Hitchcock's attention to detail, it is likely he had a great deal to do with picking the shots. There is a story that Hitch wanted to take a vacation on the Rivera. He wouldn't have made this film without a working script and the right actors.
Cary Grant had announced his retirement; he believed after Brando's "On the Waterfront" there was no room for his type of acting. I recently watched "She Done Him Wrong" one of his early films co-starring in the May West production. He is an undercover policeman posing as a Salvation Army Captain. He is known as "The Hawk." Here his burglary name is "The Cat." In real life Archie Leech was a member of a troop of acrobats from England who toured the US. Today we only remember the urbane romantic lead of dozens of pictures. "To Catch a Thief" answers the question of whether he could play romantic leads at 50.

It is no secret that Hitch had a thing for Grace Kelly. She made only 11 films; three with Hitch. This was her last film. In 1956 she became Princess Grace of Monaco. The camera loves her in this film. I never could really warm up to her character Francine Stevens in this film. It particularly grates on me that she asks John Robbie to call her Francie. Jessie Royce Landis does a good job in her role as Francine's mother, but my favorite character in the film is John Williams' H.H. Houghton, the Lloyds of London insurance investigator. The scenes between Houghton and Robbie are excellent. Robbie uses his charm to enlist Houghton in his plan to take down the crook posing as "The Cat."

In the script by John Michael Hayes from David Dodds novel; John Robbie was a famous jewel thief in prison during the Nazi Occupation. He and his fellow inmates escape and join the Resistance. He and his compatriots are only paroled not pardoned for their contributions. Robbie has gone straight. He owns a vineyard and a floral garden which provide him with an upper class lifestyle. When several major robberies occur on the Rivera; Robbie is the first suspect in the collective mind of the police. The new cat uses Robbie's methods of entry from the rooftops and eaves no clues.

Two excellent touches are Hitch's appearance. This is more direct than in most of his films, and funnier for it.
Then there is a screenshot of a column of a story by Art Buchwald for the Herald Tribune asking the question whether the cat is back. This is a real story that Buchwald wrote early in his Paris career as a columnist for the International Herald Tribune.

I find this film a light but seductive pleasure. It is on Prime. Spend sometime on vacation in the Rivera; it will revive you.

Reaction Score
"Platoon"-Oliver Stone-1986

This is often cited with "Apocalypse Now" as being one of the greatest war films ever. North served in the combat infantry in Vet Nam close to the time period covered in the film. The head of photography was Robert Richardson in his first collaboration with Stone. He was nominated for "Platoon", but he didn't win. No living cinematographer has more nominations or Oscars. I had the feeling of being on the ground with this film. The film won 4 Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director.

The story covers late 1967 and early 1968. A new recruit, Chris (Charlie Sheen) joins a combat platoon. As a new man he finds it difficult to make friends. He is a volunteer who comes from an upper middle class background. His compatriots are mostly draftees who come from working class families. There are a few careerists, most prominently Staff Sgt. Barnes (Tom Berenger) and Sgt. Elias (Willem Dafoe). Stone cast against type for these two roles. Berenger plays the morally compromised Barnes and Dafoe plays the good leader
Elias. Elias confides in Chris that he no longer believes in the cause and that he expects the US to lose.

Without getting into the upper level politics Stone shows how the on ground policies are failing. There are very few Vietnamese fighting with the US army. The enemy is not fully glimpsed. There is also a disdain/hatred for the local villagers shown by most of the US troops. So much for winning the hearts and minds of the Viet Nams' people. There appears to be no larger plan to the troops on the ground. They fight and die to no real purpose .
Their only real goal is to complete their year's service in Nam.

The platoon seems to be split between the pot heads and the drinkers. This is a division Stone sets up. Elias is a smoker and Barnes is a drinker. We see Chris quickly become a highly competent veteran. No more plot reveal. Actually, what is most striking about this film is the day to day futility. The goal for every grunt is to make it through the day. Apparently, Chris is one of the few to ponder larger questions. Even he gives up writing long letters to his grandmother near the film's end.

This is a film you need to get inside. This film still has what made it a success when it first came out. It hasn't dated. It is still raw, confusing, and in the moment. Whether or not that makes it great depends upon the viewer. Available on Prime. Since most of you have seen it; I will say this is a must re-see.

Reaction Score
I've continued to watch the Griffith films. It took me most of an evening to get through "Intolerance." It's over 3 hours long but took me closer to six hours to watch. It's obvious that this is a landmark in movie making. The scale of the film is enormous. The Babylon set is unlike any predecessor.

But it's kind of a mosh. The four separate stories don't really hang together. The rocking cradle that is used as a bridge doesn't really work. It just stops the story changes from being so jarring. Just as you start to care about a character, he or she disappear.

The scenes and costuming are great as are the scenes with hundreds of extras. The morality is heavy handed but that is the nature if early films. Interesting, historic, but it became more of an academic exercise for me rather than any fun.

Reaction Score
I've continued to watch the Griffith films. It took me most of an evening to get through "Intolerance." It's over 3 hours long but took me closer to six hours to watch. It's obvious that this is a landmark in movie making. The scale of the film is enormous. The Babylon set is unlike any predecessor.

But it's kind of a mosh. The four separate stories don't really hang together. The rocking cradle that is used as a bridge doesn't really work. It just stops the story changes from being so jarring. Just as you start to care about a character, he or she disappear.

The scenes and costuming are great as are the scenes with hundreds of extras. The morality is heavy handed but that is the nature if early films. Interesting, historic, but it became more of an academic exercise for me rather than any fun.
My thoughts on "Intolerance" are coming shortly; look for them on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
"The Big Clock"-John Farrow-1948

John Farrow was married to Maureen O'Sullivan; they had a daughter Mia. The script by Jonathon Lattimer is based on the novel Henrich Fearing. It is often considered noir, but it has some basic differences.. There are some excellent performances, funny lines, and an interesting set. Most of the story takes place within the confines of the huge Janoth Publications building. As the film opens a tour group is being shown the huge clock. Its many faces show the current time around the globe. The head of this complex is Earl Janoth (Charles Laughton). He is calling a meeting with the heads of his various publications. The editor of "Crimeways", George Stroud (Ray Milland) is late. Janoth shows his cruel side, no transgression is too small and no employee so obscure as to escape punishment. Stroud escapes rebuke because he has once again found a fugitive before the police.

Stroud is scheduled to take a week's honeymoon with his wife and five year old son. Janoth wants him to stay and work the story. Stroud stands up and quits his job, but that doesn't work out. He meets Patricia York (Rita Johnson) n a bar. She is Janoth's disgruntled "protegee." She ends up getting killed in her apartment with a sundial. This was a prize from a bar which had everything. The sundial wrapped in a green ribbon met the couple's search for a green clock.

Stroud and Janoth are adversaries. Stroud knows he didn't commit the crime; Janoth doesn't know who he wants to frame. The final confrontation comes using the giant clock. In addition to the actors already mentioned. George Macreedy, Henry Morgan ,and particularly Elsa Lanchester do very good work. The Janoth Publications set is spectacular. This is well worth viewing, and streams for free.

Also you might try "The Vicious Circle"-Gerald Thomas-1957 which is an avalanche of misfortunes to a celebrated doctor Edward Lattimer (John Mills). Despite the presence of such excellent characters as Wilfred Hyde White this misses the mark for me. However, the never rain when it can pour factor makes is a solid diversion. It's on Prime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom