Field is in GREAT Condition for Gametime | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Field is in GREAT Condition for Gametime

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
...It certainly looks like the old scoreboard, but there's no way the field looks the way it does -- must be the new scoreboard with digital ads???? Or did someone Photoshop the old board?

If that's the new scoreboard, then I'm disappointed with the size of the ads. I'd like to see less scoreboard space allocated to ads and more to game video.

Other than that, the field looks great with the alternating cuts of grass.

EDIT: After I posted I now see the photo of full board being used as video. I imagine between plays they will allocate space to ads. Works for me.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I was hoping they might make the field look something like this for this season... but the field does look nice though.
The Rent Field.jpg

Reaction Score
Heck, even the concrete under the bleachers looks better after the power wash. Almost looks like a brand new stadium again. Kudos.

Blue endzones would have looked nice, but they should have just switched the border color around the UCONN and HUSKIES lettering from red to blue. Guess they figured there's enough blue accents with the field logos and around the rest of the stadium.

SonsOfNutmeg's mockup looks great BTW.

Reaction Score
I don't understand that at all. LSU endzones are loaded with purple and gold paint..same thing with Alabama, USC, UCLA, Georgia, Florida. All natural grass and all with bold endzones. I'm not bitching about the improvements..love the way the field looks but would prefer bold colors in the endzone that's all
Water based darker colors like our blue aborbs up to 90% of the light needed for photosynthesis, applied over several weeks would harm the grass. Oranges, yellows, reds... tend to be more reflective.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Next mission: Make official game day t-shirts more available.

Reaction Score
Water based darker colors like our blue aborbs up to 90% of the light needed for photosynthesis, applied over several weeks would harm the grass. Oranges, yellows, reds... tend to be more reflective.

Not trying to be a jerk here but I'm not buying it

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Not trying to be a jerk here but I'm not buying it

Michigan doesn't paint there's... neither does Penn State... might be more climate related more than paint color related.

Reaction Score
That was a picture of the old scoreboard.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm pretty sure that is the new scoreboard, just with the old mascot on it. If you zoom in on the picture, it looks like the ads are from a video board. Also, if you look at the picture below, the background used to be one color, but the picture posted earlier, the background of where the screen would be compared to the background of the scoreboard are two different colors. Why they used the old husky is something I do not have an answer for.
UCONNFOOTBALL020.jpg

Reaction Score
Do you not see the new video board in this thread? The post actually says it's the new video board. I promise you the video board in your post is the old one.

Reaction Score
Do you not see the new video board in this thread? The post actually says it's the new video board. I promise you the video board in your post is the old one.
I'm going to have to agree to disagree here. Just looked at them both side by side and it just looks like the original picture has the old logo with ads on the new scoreboard. Not really sure what your seeing here. Compare all three pictures and tell me which two look most alike.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't either but UConn has asked almost every year to paint the endzones and Rentschler says no

If I was paying $170,000 per game to host football at the stadium which was built and supported still using tax payer dollars and I'm the state's flagship university I'm doing whatever I want to that field.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Michigan doesn't paint there's... neither does Penn State... might be more climate related more than paint color related.
Michigan's field is artificial turf. They changed from Grass a while ago.

I think white background with blue HUSKIES lettering would look good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Bingo. Cool season grasses like ours can't handle it. Down south they are using different species (and in CA) which are considerably more hardy, and which will be getting more sun throughout the season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bingo. Cool season grasses like ours can't handle it. Down south they are using different species (and in CA) which are considerably more hardy, and which will be getting more sun throughout the season.

Seating and surface[edit source | editbeta]
The stadium's original capacity was 72,000, but Fielding Yost made certain to install footings that could allow for expansion up to 200,000 seats. Initially, all seating consisted of wooden bleachers. These were replaced with permanent metal seating in 1949 by Crisler, who was athletic director at the time. From 1927 to 1968, the stadium's field was covered in natural grass. This was replaced with TartanTurf in 1969 to give players better traction. However, this surface was thought to be unforgiving on players' joints, and the stadium returned to natural turf in 1991. This too became problematic, as the field's below-surface location near the water table made it difficult for grass to permanently take root. The field was converted to FieldTurf, an artificial surface designed to give grass-like playing characteristics, in 2003.[28] In 2010, it was upgraded with a brighter and higher quality version of field turf called Duraspine.[29]

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't either but UConn has asked almost every year to paint the endzones and Rentschler says no
Probs has something to do with using for other events (eg, soccer)?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
the other schools probably have a bigger replacement sod budget.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seating and surface[edit source | editbeta]
The stadium's original capacity was 72,000, but Fielding Yost made certain to install footings that could allow for expansion up to 200,000 seats. Initially, all seating consisted of wooden bleachers. These were replaced with permanent metal seating in 1949 by Crisler, who was athletic director at the time. From 1927 to 1968, the stadium's field was covered in natural grass. This was replaced with TartanTurf in 1969 to give players better traction. However, this surface was thought to be unforgiving on players' joints, and the stadium returned to natural turf in 1991. This too became problematic, as the field's below-surface location near the water table made it difficult for grass to permanently take root. The field was converted to FieldTurf, an artificial surface designed to give grass-like playing characteristics, in 2003.[28] In 2010, it was upgraded with a brighter and higher quality version of field turf called Duraspine.[29]

What is this about? I was commenting with respect to LSU and USC, not Michigan. Michigan, by the way, if it still had grass, would have cool season grasses (fine fescues, ryes and bluegrass) as we do. In the south, those grasses cannot take the heat, and they use zoysia, bermuda and others (which can't tolerate the cold).

LSU (per Wikipedia) uses Celebration Bermuda grass. The Rent has Kentucky Bluegrass. Those grasses will behave very differently, and it's entirely likely that the bluegrass is much more sensitive to the effects of the paint in depriving it of light. Plus, if it gets cool, that Bermuda is going to turn brown fast, unlike Bluegrass, which is greener in spring or fall and browns in the summer and winter.
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/ukturf/Publications/Overseeding%20bermudagrass%20sports%20fields.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom