FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You were watching China-Bosnia, Serbia-Japan, or some other time when China played Serbia?
Ugh, my bad. I meant to say Bosnia. Wrong six-letter country name ending in -ia. I saw China beat Bosnia and Herzegovina (BIH), the team Jonquel plays for.

I did see Serbia play, but that was against Canada.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Starters vs. China

Gray, Loyd, Copper, Stewie, Thomas

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fun down to the wire game by Belgium - PR. Guirantes was magnificent but misses a tough but makable drive that could have tied the game in the last seconds. Linskens matched Guirantes and the brilliance of Meeseman''s overall game shown through at the end even though she could not hit the side of a barn. Would have had a triple double

Reaction Score
I am loving what I have been able to see so far from this squad. Now that the squad is fully assembled, the team is going to get even better. What I love about I have seen so far is, how with each new addition, those additional pieces just connect. Also, Alyssa Thomas. Adding her, was absolutely a great decision. She just brings so much to the team. She is going to take the toughest offensive assignment. Her offensive game is so versatile. Her court vision is off the charts. Her basketball IQ is phenomenal! Love watching her play.

Reaction Score
I am loving what I have been able to see so far from this squad. Now that the squad is fully assembled, the team is going to get even better. What I love about I have seen so far is, how with each new addition, those additional pieces just connect. Also, Alyssa Thomas. Adding her, was absolutely a great decision. She just brings so much to the team. She is going to take the toughest offensive assignment. Her offensive game is so versatile. Her court vision is off the charts. Her basketball IQ is phenomenal! Love watching her play.
Alyssa Thomas is one of those players you can’t stand as an opponent, but will gladly take on your team any day.

She might have the most unique game in the W. The things she can accomplish on the court with her physical limitations (labrums) are mystifying. I’m not always a fan of her brute physicality but can also appreciate that it’s her brand of basketball and she’s perfected it. Sure am glad to have her in red, white, and blue!

Reaction Score
Important win for Canada over Japan 70-56. Carleton had a big game today with 19 points.

Not the Japanese team that we saw win the silver at the Olympics. Canada's defence did a great job on keeping them from being able to hurt them with 3 point shots. Will be interesting to see how they match up against Australia tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Important win for Canada over Japan 70-56. Carleton had a big game today with 19 points.

Not the Japanese team that we saw win the silver at the Olympics. Canada's defence did a great job on keeping them from being able to hurt them with 3 point shots. Will be interesting to see how they match up against Australia tomorrow.

I thought it was the same team other than the starting point guard and another player?

Reaction Score
Canada now officially qualified for quarter finals and unofficially Top 2 in Group B (matches with Australia and Mali to come in group phase) which means they will avoid USA in quarters.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

They mentioned that playing without their top PG Rui Machida hurts them alot but their 3pt shooting was also abysmal

Not sure why they could not have her on the team since the Mystics were not in the playoffs. I guess it is the nature of the Japanese program that they only go with the players who practiced with the team over the long haul ???

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Also, I had asked this earlier but no one responded. What is the mechanism for the playoffs? Is it possible for US - China to be in the final or will it have to be an earlier semi final game?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Solid rebounding edge - 48-34 - with Kayla Alexander snaring 11, Natalie Achonwa 8, Shay Collie 7 and Carleton 6.
Yes, that Aussie-Canada match will be an interesting one.

BTW, U.S.A. and Canada are both undefeated (3-0) and have already qualified for the quarterfinals, so the Aussie-Canada game probably is a bit more significant for the Opals.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also, I had asked this earlier but no one responded. What is the mechanism for the playoffs? Is it possible for US - China to be in the final or will it have to be an earlier semi final game?
It is possible for the top two teams in the same group to meet in the final.

The change in format is that instead of fixed crossover of 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, they have a draw to see which 3rd and 4th team from a group will play against 1st and 2nd of other the group. This is to avoid teams trying to manufacture a result in their last pool group match to play a preferred quarter final opponent.

Reaction Score
I thought it was the same team other than the starting point guard and another player?

Different head coach. The coach who led them to silver retired/stepped down I believe.

They mentioned that playing without their top PG Rui Machida hurts them alot but their 3pt shooting was also abysmal

Not sure why they could not have her on the team since the Mystics were not in the playoffs. I guess it is the nature of the Japanese program that they only go with the players who practiced with the team over the long haul ???

Good question. I don't know why either. She was missed big time today.

Reaction Score
Solid rebounding edge - 48-34 - with Kayla Alexander snaring 11, Natalie Achonwa 8, Shay Collie 7 and Carleton 6.
Yes, that Aussie-Canada match will be an interesting one.

BTW, U.S.A. and Canada are both undefeated (3-0) and have already qualified for the quarterfinals, so the Aussie-Canada game probably is a bit more significant for the Opals.

Definitely for the Opals, however from my view, this is very important for Canada for a couple reasons.

Finishing at the top of the pool would be a huge boost for them mentally. Previous events, they've squeaked into the quarterfinals by the skin of their teeth. This win would help give them more confidence in the play-offs, which they need based on their prior results.

While they're positioned well for the play-offs, I think being first in the pool puts them in a better position for quarterfinals. They're playing with house money now, to most experts, why not run the table for the best possible seeding? A win against the Opals helps there.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Becca Allen, for Australia(also NY Liberty and Valencia Spain) was injured late in the game. She had to be wheel chaired off by paramedics after taking a knee/hip to her lower left back. She led Australia's win with 16 points.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Becca Allen, for Australia(also NY Liberty and Valencia Spain) was injured late in the game. She had to be wheel chaired off by paramedics after taking a knee/hip to her lower left back. She led Australia's win with 16 points.
Hope it is not serious.

Reaction Score
Different head coach. The coach who led them to silver retired/stepped down I believe.

Good question. I don't know why either. She was missed big time today.

The coach that bring them to Olympic switch to men's team

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
U.S. leads Korea 68-40 at the half. Wilson is 7-7 for 14 points.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
106-52 after Q3. Stewie had a big quarter. She has 18/3/2/1/1. Everyone but Sabrina has played.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie has a device around her waist. Lower back issues?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bri Jones is scoring at will. Actually, all the Americans are scoring at will.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Korea was gravely outsized and outmatched. China beat them by 63 points, so it was nice we outdid them on the point spread with a tidy 76-point win.

Alyssa Thomas at halftime already had 10 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals. Potential quadruple-double watch if she'd played a full second half. She finished with 10-8-7-3, which is pretty bonkers for only 17 minutes of play.

I suppose Cheryl Reeve might harp on the defense a bit. No reason to be giving up 40 points in a half to Korea.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A couple of Group B games with quarter final implications coming up now.

France vs Japan (at 4pm local, now)
Canada vs Australia (at 7:30pm local)

If Canada & Japan win today there would be 4 teams on the same 2-2 record, who would play each other on the final day. In that scenario one of the losers would still go through to the quarters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom