FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Team USA's defense is currently better than their offense.

Stewie was Stewie, AT was very effective, especially considering she literally just stepped off the plane in Australia.
Copper was a beast on the defensive end. Interesting that Loyd, Atkins, AT etc ran the point. I guess Cheryl trusts them more than Ionescu, at least until Gray and Plum arrive.

Stewie and AT did a lot of ball handling, including bringing the ball up court. AT notched a bunch of assists, as usual.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Canada came out with an important win against Serbia. Serbia didn't make it easy, as I had expected but Canada was able to maintain the lead, where they may have wilted at the end.

Kia played just under 20 minutes, but she looked great and didn't seem tentative at all. The team seemed a lot more committed to getting the ball into the post for Alexander and Achonwa last night. That wasn't the case the last few years under the previous coach. Looking forward to seeing their next game to see how they do.
Canada played quite well in the portions I watched of this game. Alexander and Achonwa did a lot of strong work inside, and Carleton, Colley and Fields looked very good. Nirra Fields and Amihere could be seen as the X factors as Serbia got very little from its bench.

Serbia really seems to lack the shooters that I remember them having years ago. They were 3-17 from 3.

Reaction Score
Canada played quite well in the portions I watched of this game. Alexander and Achonwa did a lot of strong work inside, and Carleton, Colley and Fields looked very good. Nirra Fields and Amihere could be seen as the X factors as Serbia got very little from its bench.

Serbia really seems to lack the shooters that I remember them having years ago. They were 3-17 from 3.

There was a noticeable difference with respect to how Canada played inside the key. The Olympic squad didn't seem to have the same commitment to getting the ball inside. Also, how they used Alexander and Achonwa in transition was refreshing. They can both run the floor well.

This is something they've been teaching players who are part of their development stream from when they're in HS. For some reason, they haven't tried to consistently take advantage of it at this level. Hopefully this trend will continue.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More than the post play which was ok (but out rebounded), the guard play of Canada was strong with a lot of change of pace penetration as well as effectively handling the tough Serbian press. I also expect Kia to increase her role and impact.

Reaction Score
More than the post play which was ok (but out rebounded), the guard play of Canada was strong with a lot of change of pace penetration as well as effectively handling the tough Serbian press. I also expect Kia to increase her role and impact.
Don't get me started on the rebounds. I'm sure my neighbours were wondering why I was yelling at 12 am last night :oops:

Reaction Score
Canada leads France 29-17 at the half.

Not a pretty game. France has been struggling to make shots. Canada went on a small run to extend the lead before half-time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Canada leads France 29-17 at the half.

Not a pretty game. France has been struggling to make shots. Canada went on a small run to extend the lead before half-time.
No, it wasn't but Canada came away with the win. Isn't this the second game that Gabby's been the only player in double figures for France? Johannes bowing out just prior to the WC really cut down on scoring options.

Reaction Score
No, it wasn't but Canada came away with the win. Isn't this the second game that Gabby's been the only player in double figures for France? Johannes bowing out just prior to the WC really cut down on scoring options.

Yup, they got the win with the final score being 59-45. France struggled for most of the game to get their offense going. Gabby got going in the 3rd and did what she could, but they couldn't close the gap.

I don't know if losing Johannes impacted their scoring as they were able to put up over 80 points against Australia. I think it's more how the offense struggled against Canada's zone. The commentators for SportsNet noted that France wasn't moving the ball well at all. I would have to agree. The way you win against the zone is by moving the ball to open up the gaps. Johannes would have helped make it harder for Canada to use the zone the way that they did.

Another issue was their shot selection. They weren't as aggressive trying to get into the paint, which I found surprising in comparison to how their U23 team played this summer. As you can see by the box score, the shooting for both teams wasn't great. France shooting 15.8% from 3 was really surprising.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Crazy game. Both teams had a lot of good quality shots early and were rimming out, Gabby tried hard to be a pass first player and had a lot of nice setups without success. It did not help that Gabby did not have her jump shot but she still was elite driving to the basket and all the other effort parts of the game

Canada and especially Fields finally started to shoot better and that is all she wrote.

Reaction Score
Crazy game. Both teams had a lot of good quality shots early and were rimming out, Gabby tried hard to be a pass first player and had a lot of nice setups without success. It did not help that Gabby did not have her jump shot but she still was elite driving to the basket and all the other effort parts of the game

Canada and especially Fields finally started to shoot better and that is all she wrote.
I agree with most of this.

Canada did shoot better, but I still believe if France forced the action inside more they could have been more disruptive. Gabby seemed to be the only one doing this consistently. And France shooting less than 20% from3 isn't typical from what I recall, but I could be wrong.

Alexa using this Jimmy Butler meme from the 2020 NBA Bubble era to describe the heavy lifting Gabby is doing is very accurate.

1663935164011.png

Reaction Score
France lost, but Gabby is leading the world in scoring at 18 ppg. She had 13/8/1/1/1 against Canada.
That's only because Stewie only played 15 minutes and scored 11 points in the USA rout of Puerto Rico.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I got to see part of the China-Serbia game, and China is looking like a very tough opponent. Just playing some beautiful basketball.

This upcoming USA-CHN game will be one to watch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I got to see part of the China-Serbia game, and China is looking like a very tough opponent. Just playing some beautiful basketball.

Who is China’s head coach?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Who is China’s head coach?
Her name is Zheng Wei. I didn't know anything about her, but the FIBA commentators were having some fun remarking on her stern countenance.

She's a former player from the 80s and 90s and was an assistant under the previous head coach.

China is playing an attractive fast-paced style, great at scoring in transition and making the unselfish pass. I dare say at moments they remind me of UConn ball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and the China US game is on ESPN2 12:30 AM

Of course, rooting for US but as a Liberty fan, looking to see a top level Han Xu performance

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's only because Stewie only played 15 minutes and scored 11 points in the USA rout of Puerto Rico.

I was surprised that Stewie played only 15:56. I watched the game and thought she was at 20-22 minutes. She also looked to facilitate more than score.

Stewie is the best player in the world, and I have no concerns about her. I’m happy if Gabby gets a boost in confidence, because it’s one area where she’s a bit lacking. As Yogi would say, her entire future is ahead of her. She’s barely 26.

Reaction Score
The USA vs China Group A matchup starting in around 40 mins should be the most competitive game of the tournament for USA, as I believe China is the second best team combined with some of the USA players only having recently arrived in Australia.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The USA vs China Group A matchup starting in around 40 mins should be the most competitive game of the tournament for USA, as I believe China is the second best team combined with some of the USA players only having recently arrived in Australia.
No question that China has thus far looked far better than anyone else the US might face.

The knock on China in recent years has been that they often don't finish the tournaments as well as they start. We'll see this time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
According to this, China is ranked 7th, though injuries may affect that.

Reaction Score

You were watching China-Bosnia, Serbia-Japan, or some other time when China played Serbia?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was surprised that Stewie played only 15:56. I watched the game and thought she was at 20-22 minutes. She also looked to facilitate more than score.

Stewie is the best player in the world, and I have no concerns about her. I’m happy if Gabby gets a boost in confidence, because it’s one area where she’s a bit lacking. As Yogi would say, her entire future is ahead of her. She’s barely 26.
I think it is the nature of the WC schedule. Stewart is one of the most important members of the team and has plenty of WC and Olympic experience so getting her a lighter night in a blowout as well as getting the rookies more playing time is important. China is probably going to be the biggest challenge in the group phase tonight. 8 games over 10 days is a lot - getting some added rest in easy games for the starters is good coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom