FIBA U18 Women Americas - USA vs Puerto Rico Fri Aug 3 - 7:30 pm edt | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FIBA U18 Women Americas - USA vs Puerto Rico Fri Aug 3 - 7:30 pm edt

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
103-59 final. NaLyssa Smith (Baylor) led with 24. Geno was interested in her.

Interesting stats: We won rebounding by 63-31 but assists by only 14-12.

The game was ragged, but we have too much depth, size, and speed for the other teams. Canada is unlikely to beat us ... unless they play Kia Nurse and Laeticia Amihere.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
US plays against El Salvador on Sunday, should be a walk in the park.

Reaction Score
as I'm reminded every time I see my daughter walk on the court after her knee surgery.....................every one of those kids is a play away from missing a season or worse............you can do all the preventative exercises you want.........................if it's going to happen it's going to happen...................hopefully it's the "good" kind of break which heals relatively quickly and not an ACL tear........................as terrible as it sounds Texas is lucky as they have former UConn commit Charlie Collier to handle the post position if need be

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As UConnCat posted in another thread, CW had an illness.

Some anomalous stats that may suggest some work is needed:

On FT shooting, Christyn is 3-10 and Liv is 4-9. Both were much better than that in high school.

Reaction Score

On FT shooting, Christyn is 3-10 and Liv is 4-9. Both were much better than that in high school.
IMO, they both need work against quality competition that will force them to improve. They're getting nothing out of these scrimmages against rag tag, overmatched teams. They both have areas that need attention and quality coaching and running around in 3-4 minute shifts against these kids is just delaying their improvement.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score

FT shooting is troublesome

Reaction Score
I'm not watching these games as I've had other things to do, but have read the comments.
While I received some disagreement with my comments about this teams coaching, and maybe I overstated it a bit, a lot is left to be desired.
There's a clear, distinct difference between coaching and recruiting and not infrequently that almost every coach is better at one than the other. To me at least I don't see much evidence three games in, with supposedly the best players chosen to be on our national team, of much coaching.
Having a recruiting style where one offers numerous players each year hoping some of the top 10-30-50 or even 100, has a lot to do with the coaching one chooses or can do, when those that choose your program arrive.
As so many have stated so many times prior, being very selective about offers, even holding back offers from great HS players, when done U Conn style pays off. I think Tara and MM also look carefully for players that suit their style, discipline and their coaching.
Very few of the great HS players nowadays even more so, with being seen and noticed maybe as early as 10-12 years old, have the sense of self, guidance, willingness and ability to conform their talents and egos to being coached on and off the court. And enough can't be said about each players parents and how and what they've done beyond the basketball training to help prepare their developing teenager then young adult for life as well as basketball.
I again don't watch much men's college or pro basketball because I am not enamoured with individual greatness and what not always, but often comes with that.
Women in general and also when they play especially team sports are different. Usually their speed, athleticism, strength is not comparable to most men. Why then too often the goal is to move towards more male traits, strengths and patterns then vice versa.
In summary, recruiting, offering and getting verbals and LOI from as many of the top players, most of the time, will not lead to FF's and especially NC's.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
FT shooting is troublesome

I'm not concerned about shooting of any kind based on this tournament................they're using a strange ball and those rims are overly tight..................I don't know CW's FT shooting stats through high school but I've seen her enough to think she shoots a minimum of 75%-80%...........haven't seen enough of ONO shooting FTs but she seems to have a solid stroke

Reaction Score
Agreed. Not a pretty game ...looks like one on one b-ball and sloppy defense .

Reaction Score
I guess you could say this is good news...................a break is usually easier to deal with then an ACL.....

Reaction Score
During U17 two years ago CW broke the record for 100% FT shooting. It's not a coincidence that everyones FT percentage is low this tournament.

Reaction Score
TX says Prince is out for the year. She will have surgery in the next days to place a rod in her broken leg.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
TX says Prince is out for the year. She will have surgery in the next days to place a rod in her broken leg.

Thanks Pup for the information. I was hoping someone would provide us with an update as to her condition. I was watching the game live as it happened. I was hoping it was a minor sprain. The way she was writhing in pain caused me to lose hope rather quickly. MSGRET called it immediately.

He must have a medical background to be able to call it correctly watching on TV. I was hoping he was wrong. I was sickened by her injury, and lost interest in the game at that point. :( I'm still upset. I didn't want to see any of our girls get injured, especially a broken bone. Hopefully no one else suffers an injury the remainder of the tournament. Let's get these last 3 games, and bring back a gold medal for Sedona.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom