FGCU's Enfield to USC. Am I nuts or are some D-1 AD's losing | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FGCU's Enfield to USC. Am I nuts or are some D-1 AD's losing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good points. I just think in Ollie's case, as a backup, learning from HOF coaches, has helped him in the absence of coaching experience. But to Ollie's credit, you have to want to learn and be a leader, which he is.

It's the whole package: a guy that people swore by on the pro level, players, coaches AND also the front office. He was clearly a heady guy who knew well what it took to play. He brings a different set of skills and knowledge to the college game. Calhoun was a backer. Everything wrapped up together tells you he's got a lot of background and a lot of special skills.

Reaction Score
Funny thing Calhoun mentioned USC hiring Enfield after him winning only 2 NCAA Tournament games. He said it's ridiculous that guys get hired by big schools now with so little success. Said it took him 6 NCAA Tournament appearances with Northeastern before he got big job offers. Mentioned he turned down Northwestern, Stanford and Texas before accepting the UConn job mostly because he wanted to stay in New England and close to his family in the Boston area. I knew about the Northwestern offer (Bobby Knight told him it was a bad job) but didn't know about Stanford and Texas. Have we heard that from him before?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's Ollie's personality, character, work ethic, and intelligence more than the fact that he played point guard in the NBA for 13 years. No one is knocking down Jamal Tinsley's door to coach a college team after he retires.

And if I'm USC, that's what I see in Enfield. Ivy league smart, built his own software company, worked on Wall St., seems a very solid guy who knows what it takes to succeed. He quit a lucrative career because he wanted to coach. He reportedly recruited well at FSU, and obviously found some hidden gems at FGCU. His model wife will fit in in LA, and generate press.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
And if I'm USC, that's what I see in Enfield. Ivy league smart, built his own software company, worked on Wall St., seems a very solid guy who knows what it takes to succeed. He quit a lucrative career because he wanted to coach. He reportedly recruited well at FSU, and obviously found some hidden gems at FGCU. His model wife will fit in in LA, and generate press.
He didn't build his own software company. He invested money in a friends company and was a minority owner.

Reaction Score
Whose USC's best alum? Cheryl miller? A school with so little tradition/expectations might as well swing for the fences.
As far as Ollie, he's got rare qualities that allowed him to stay in the league for so long, mainly leadership. Ray Allen called him the best leader hes been around. I don't think this season was a flash in the pan.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
And he still has to work! Utter failure from this corner.
Not what i was suggesting.just pointing out that the initial narrative wasnt accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom