FGCU's Enfield to USC. Am I nuts or are some D-1 AD's losing | The Boneyard

FGCU's Enfield to USC. Am I nuts or are some D-1 AD's losing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
their perspective completely. I didn't understand the firings of Tubby Smith or Ben Howland. It was not like either of those guys dragged their respective programs down in the mud. Howland went to 3 Final Fours for cryin out loud! And let me throw Steve Alford(and the UCLA AD) under the bus while I'm at it. Alford signs a very lucrative extension and declares his undying loyalty to New Mexico only to turn around in what? 24 hours and sign with UCLA. And the UCLA AD(probably not unlike a lot of these clowns...including university presidents...e.g. destruction of the Big East), with no second thoughts or, God forbid, integrity, throws a boat load of money at Alford and steals( yes steals!) him from New Mexico. Now we have USC giving 6 years and 7 figures plus to Andy Enfield(FGCU) who has done NOTHING(a Sweet 16 run is entertaining but still nothing) as a D-1 Head Coach. I don't get it. I am, however, forever grateful that we had JC for a ton of years; and we are set up to experience another great run with Kevin Ollie.

"DUNK CITY Head Man to USC"

GO HUSKIES!!!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I am, however, forever grateful that we had JC for a ton of years; and we are set up to experience another great run with Kevin Ollie.

Were you incensed that they threw a boat load of $$$ at JC and stole him away from Northeastern before he accomplished anything (Calhoun never made the sweet 16 did he?) ?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Your childlike naivete is refreshing, UCH1.

And yes, you are a little nuts. Enfield didn't come from nowhere. He worked in the NBA for a while and was an assistant at FSU for four years. Now he has head coaching experience under his belt. USC went 6-26 last year. Enfield can't duck up that program any more than it has been.

Reaction Score
I don't think too many people have complaints when a coach goes to a major program from a lesser one, and let's be honest Gulf Coast isn't USC. New Mexico isn't even in the same solar system as UCLA. UConn, in the Big East was 2 levels up from Northeastern even in the era when Calhoun coached there. And as far as Howland getting axed, I think it was mostly related to off court issues earlier in the year, then a bit of a disappointing history on top of that.

I think we'll have Ollie for a long time, but more because he'll be too good to get rid of but not good enough for anyone else to want him. If we get a chance to go all in on athletics again some day in the future, maybe we go after a real big time coach.

Reaction Score
Comparing Calhoun to Enfield is silly. Calhoun had multiple years of success at Northeastern and was going to a school in the same geographic location.

Can Enfield recruit California and the west coast? Who knows, he has never before. He has 0 inroads with any of the handlers and AAU coaches out there so he is already playing catch up.

It was a flavor of the moment hire. Could be absolutely horrible, could catch lightening in a bottle. I think it bombs, hope I am wrong since he seems like a good guy.

Reaction Score
Comparing Calhoun to Enfield is silly. Calhoun had multiple years of success at Northeastern and was going to a school in the same geographic location.

Can Enfield recruit California and the west coast? Who knows, he has never before. He has 0 inroads with any of the handlers and AAU coaches out there so he is already playing catch up.

It was a flavor of the moment hire. Could be absolutely horrible, could catch lightening in a bottle. I think it bombs, hope I am wrong since he seems like a good guy.
On top of that it was a different era. Players got recruited expecting to stay 4 years...an occasional great one left early but most didn't.

Reaction Score
I know but you couldn't resist responding...I guess we'll see over the next few years.
This is the first time I have seen you admit that you are the "attention whore" we all KNOW you to be!!!! Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. This will be the last time I ever reply to your tired schtick!!!!

Reaction Score
Your childlike naivete is refreshing, UCH1.

And yes, you are a little nuts. Enfield didn't come from nowhere. He worked in the NBA for a while and was an assistant at FSU for four years. Now he has head coaching experience under his belt. USC went 6-26 last year. Enfield can't duck up that program any more than it has been.

I really don't consider Enfield's NBA experience relevant. And I have some real questions about Enfield's ability to recruit(FSU experience will help). I guess I think it takes a lot more experience, if I'm the AD at a school the size(academics and athletics) of USC(regardless of recent lack of success on the court) to offer some guy 6 years and seven figures. If this is the state of college hoops(factoring in the firings I mentioned,the hiring of Alford and the Big East debacle) then on top of my monumental disappointment, I am VERY naive.

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I really don't consider Enfield's NBA experience relevant. And I have some real questions about Enfield's ability to recruit(FSU experience will help). I guess I think it takes a lot more experience, if I'm the AD at a school the size(academics and athletics) of USC(regardless of recent lack of success on the court) to offer some guy 6 years and seven figures. If this is the state of college hoops(factoring in the firings I mentioned,the hiring of Alford and the Big East debacle) then on top of my monumental disappointment, I am VERY naive.

GO HUSKIES!!!
Answer me this...how is Enfield's NBA experience irrelevant but Ollie's NBA playing experience makes him highly qualified to coach a higher profile program? And Enfield has been an assistant at a D-1 program longer, plus actually had some success at the level of a D-1 head coach, yet he's not qualified to be a head coach at a middle of the road major conference program? Or is it just moving across the country that's the problem? Heck, one of the best ways to build a program is to recruit nationally rather than limiting yourself to local/regional kids. And I'd have to think that trying to recruit kids to USC would be a little easier than trying to get them to Pittsburgh or somewhere. He might not work out. But I'm not sure he's any more of a risk than lots of other guys. Alford is a fairly logical choice and a pretty reasonable move. Just that he acted like an in signing his deal with New Mexico. But other than that it was a pretty reasonable move from a mid-major to an historic program.

Reaction Score
I don't think too many people have complaints when a coach goes to a major program from a lesser one, and let's be honest Gulf Coast isn't USC. New Mexico isn't even in the same solar system as UCLA. UConn, in the Big East was 2 levels up from Northeastern even in the era when Calhoun coached there. And as far as Howland getting axed, I think it was mostly related to off court issues earlier in the year, then a bit of a disappointing history on top of that.

I think we'll have Ollie for a long time, but more because he'll be too good to get rid of but not good enough for anyone else to want him. If we get a chance to go all in on athletics again some day in the future, maybe we go after a real big time coach.

So, random NBA'ers like Julius Hodge are telling kids, "Ollie is big-time star," but you know better.

Reaction Score
College admins are some of the biggest crooks on the planet

Reaction Score
College admins are some of the biggest crooks on the planet

What is your post about? (Mind you, I don't like college admins, but I suspect for very different reasons).

Reaction Score
Yes, the UCLA and Minnesota situations are awful. However, I think USC is making a good move hiring Enfield considering all the problems USC has had in recent years. Enfield does not have a long track record as a head coach, but in every aspect of his life he is a flat out winner. He is a bright guy, valedictorian of his high school, attended Johns Hopkins, scored over 2,000 points as a player, shot 92% from the free throw line, was successful in business, highly regarded by the coaches he has worked for including Rick Pitino, succesfully got a big time model to marry him and in two years took FGC to the sweet 16. Dude gets done. I would hire that guy in a second, even for a job not involved with basketball. Whatever he is involved in, he is smart enough to figure out a way to succeed. It looks like USC made a smart decision to me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Were you incensed that they threw a boat load of $ at JC and stole him away from Northeastern before he accomplished anything (Calhoun never made the sweet 16 did he?) ?

He didn't make the Sweet 16, but he won more NCAA games total at Northeastern than Enfield has in his career. I'm not positive, but I don't think any team from that league won an NCAA game from the time Calhoun left to that Vermont win a few years ago.

Reaction Score
So, random NBA'ers like Julius Hodge are telling kids, "Ollie is big-time star," but you know better.

That's pretty much it............

I think most value 13 years as a backup pg in the NBA more than what Enfield has on his resume.

Reaction Score
His wife will accompany him to USC.

http://p2..com/image/fget/cf/308/464/images.terra.com/2013/03/20/enfield2.jpg

Reaction Score
He didn't make the Sweet 16, but he won more NCAA games total at Northeastern than Enfield has in his career. I'm not positive, but I don't think any team from that league won an NCAA game from the time Calhoun left to that Vermont win a few years ago.

...and Kevin O'Neil won how many tournament games at Marquette, Tennessee, Northwestern, and Arizona, USC? A combined 2. Since USC hoops isn't a tradition-laden program, if Enfield brings some excitement to the program (which he already has) and if he wins, then...that is great. If he doesn't win, well, back to the regularly scheduled coaching searches every 4-5 years (how did Henry Bibby last 10 years?). Other than Pat Haden and a few diehard basketball fans, who will notice?

Overall, a good move by Haden. He might attract a few top level local recruits with the Dunk City atmosphere. Hmmm Dunk City next door to Lob City...it could work.

Reaction Score
their perspective completely. I didn't understand the firings of Tubby Smith or Ben Howland. It was not like either of those guys dragged their respective programs down in the mud. Howland went to 3 Final Fours for cryin out loud! And let me throw Steve Alford(and the UCLA AD) under the bus while I'm at it. Alford signs a very lucrative extension and declares his undying loyalty to New Mexico only to turn around in what? 24 hours and sign with UCLA. And the UCLA AD(probably not unlike a lot of these clowns...including university presidents...e.g. destruction of the Big East), with no second thoughts or, God forbid, integrity, throws a boat load of money at Alford and steals( yes steals!) him from New Mexico. Now we have USC giving 6 years and 7 figures plus to Andy Enfield(FGCU) who has done NOTHING(a Sweet 16 run is entertaining but still nothing) as a D-1 Head Coach. I don't get it. I am, however, forever grateful that we had JC for a ton of years; and we are set up to experience another great run with Kevin Ollie.

"DUNK CITY Head Man to USC"

GO HUSKIES!!!

Howland is a . He alienated a fair number of boosters, his players by and large can't stand him, he's made enemies in recruiting circles all over Southern California, and to top it off they play a slow, deliberate, grind it out style that turns off a lot of fans. Sprinkle in the fact that they now routinely lose to UC Irvine, Cal Poly Pomona and schools of that ilk, and it's not all that surprising that he got the axe. He'd be perfect at a place like Northern Arizona where he'd be getting 2 and 3 star kids that he can grind into the ground.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When a school like USC hires a guy like Enfield, it's because they struck out everywhere else.

Enfield could be a good hire and he sure entertained us over the past two weeks, but for USC to get to the point of hiring a guy they first heard of ten days ago shows you what happened to their search.

I imagine they heard an awful lot of 'no' before getting to that 'yes'.

And who knows, perhaps they wanted SU's Hopkins before reading that article about SU committing violations by the dart-load.

Reaction Score
Howland is a ******. He alienated a fair number of boosters, his players by and large can't stand him, he's made enemies in recruiting circles all over Southern California, and to top it off they play a slow, deliberate, grind it out style that turns off a lot of fans. Sprinkle in the fact that they now routinely lose to UC Irvine, Cal Poly Pomona and schools of that ilk, and it's not all that surprising that he got the axe. He'd be perfect at a place like Northern Arizona where he'd be getting 2 and 3 star kids that he can grind into the ground.

You are pretty much right on with most of those issues. The club/aau coaches did not have a good relationship with Howland. I am not sure if the nike vs adidas sponsorship was a factor (it doesn't seem to be as important these days) or if it was style of play or Howland being less directly involved in recruiting.

Only 1 minor correction, UCLA lost to Cal Poly SLO, a D1 program in the Big West conference. Cal Poly Pomona is D2.

Reaction Score

Isn't that what your wife says about you?:p

"too good to get rid of but not good enough for anyone else to want him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member