'Fess up - Who else calls Team USA UConn? | The Boneyard

'Fess up - Who else calls Team USA UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As in, "UConn is playing China next". My husband and I do it all the time, lol. There may be a reason...

It's like watching the Huskies

To clarify - I'm not talking about doing this consciously. It's just a habit to ask when UConn is playing it's next game.

Reaction Score
Tina Charles and Maya Moore both mentioned their pride in playing for team USA. It seems to me that Sue Bird and DT have been playing pro basketball longer than they ever played at UConn. But, when ex-UConn players were on the floor at the same time, there is chemistry and better synchronization.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Haven't really had that problem. But I have noted it to folks at morning coffee.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
As in, "UConn is playing China next". My husband and I do it all the time, lol. There may be a reason...

It's like watching the Huskies

Way too much red in the uni's for me to think that way !! lol.

484299_m21.jpg

Seriously, this group is all Team USA in my mind, all the way. In conversation I say "USA Women played so-and-so."

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Last night Taurasi, Bird, Moore and Charles were on the floor - I think with Catchings. I kept waiting for Geno to pull her for Jones or Cash.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Last night Taurasi, Bird, Moore and Charles were on the floor - I think with Catchings. I kept waiting for Geno to pull her for Jones or Cash.
Clearly, Geno just forgot which Tamika it was when he called out the names to take the court. He, obviously, thought he had Tamika Williams with him.

Reaction Score
Not me, its team USA, not team UCONN! All the players have USA on their jersey's not UCONN.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not me, its team USA, not team UCONN! All the players have USA on their jersey's not UCONN.
Well, yes, I know that and I root for all players no matter where they went to school. It's just a slip of the lip thing, I don't know why I keep calling the team UConn. Must be that I'm used to saying UUUUConn instead of UUUUSA.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well, yes, I know that and I root for all players no matter where they went to school. It's just a slip of the lip thing, I don't know why I keep calling the team UConn. Must be that I'm used to saying UUUUConn instead of UUUUSA.

I have had to edit a few posts as well...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with you Nan. in the world championships, when UCONN had 6 players on the team and i noted that "Team UCONN" averaged 51 PPG while the rest of the team averaged 46 PPG, I was scolded that "it's Team USA, not team UCONN".

I was like "duh". I know it says USA on the jersey but it's hard not to appreciate the fact that UCONN has enough great players to make up half of the very best team in the world. It won't be like this forever - When Diana, Sue, Ashja and Swin finally retire, besides Tina and Maya, we're going to have to hope players like Bria, Stef, KML, Kiah, Morgan, Moriah or Bree make the teams in the future. I think several of them can.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Loved the flow of the game when that bunch was on the floor, and Catch just fit right in...it was fabulous!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I haven't made the mistake, but I've had to catch myself a couple times.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I haven't called them Uconn, but every chance I get, I pause the game using my DVR and count the UConn players on the court. When DT, Sue, Tina and Maya were huddling, it was just amazingto reflect on the great players that have passed through Storrs on their way to all-time greatness.

JS

Reaction Score
Don't know that I call them UConn but it feels that way. Really takes you back.

As Rady said in another thread, it's just a great pleasure to watch a blend of players from UConn's great national championship teams (six NC teams represented, including three undefeated ones).

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

I'm guilty in a "just for fun" way.

With friends who appreciate how big a Husky fan I am, I sometimes say: "The UConn Olympic Team is playing today."

No slight is meant to the six non-UConn players on Team USA. It's just a fun way to remind folks of my love and respect for the UConn players (and Geno).

Go USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
When these four were on the floor I could not help thinking that if Lobo were a little younger and healthier she would fit in nicely with this group. I'll take Jones or Cash anytime however.

Reaction Score
Caught myself saying UCONN a time or two but it just didn't sound right and quickly corrected myself. When I said US or USA it seemed to sound a little impersonal. So now I just say "Our Girls".

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm guilty in a "just for fun" way.

With friends who appreciate how big a Husky fan I am, I sometimes say: "The UConn Olympic Team is playing today."

No slight is meant to the six non-UConn players on Team USA. It's just a fun way to remind folks of my love and respect for the UConn players (and Geno).

Go USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OC - I think that's exactly the way most UConn fans feel about the team. We all know this is Team USA but the fact is that we watch mostly UConn women's basketball and with all the UConn players on the team it's easy to make the mistake.

Reaction Score
Okay, I will admit to making the mistake. Last Saturday I mentioned to my son UConn was playing. He looked at me funny, and asked if I did that on purpose? I hadn't even realized I had said it. I have slipped only once since then...now that I am aware I do it, I am paying much closer attention when I talk and type.

Reaction Score
There are just too many contributions from "other" players for
me to feel like I'm watching UConn. Particularly when Angel
and/or Lindsay are on the floor.

I still refer to them as "our girls" however.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I do have to admit, tho, that there are a couple of tennessee fans out here I know, and I do mention the 6 from UCONN every chance i get. They counter with "Geno picked the team with his UCONN bias" and I end it there knowing how ignorant that line of thinking is. But I also realize I will never change their minds so it's not worth it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No I don't really think of this as UCONN at all. This is the USA team. (or as they say Team USA). UCONN is Hartley, KML, Dolson, Faris, etc. That's who I think of as UCONN.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No I don't really think of this as UCONN at all. This is the USA team. (or as they say Team USA). UCONN is Hartley, KML, Dolson, Faris, etc. That's who I think of as UCONN.
Read the OP again. I didn't say I thought Team USA is Team UConn just that I kept calling them that for some unknown reason.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Read the OP again. I didn't say I thought Team USA is Team UConn just that I kept calling them that for some unknown reason.
I read it, same thing. One would have to think it to say it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom