February - Other Big East Games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

February - Other Big East Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Villanova looks a lot better now than Little Arch is cemented to the bench.

Had Marquette on the ropes just couldn’t make shots late.

Refs were bailing Nova out between 10 min to 5 minute mark. Marquette and Shaka played through the BS and recovered for the win.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Nova - Marquette looking good
Nova’s coach is a jerk. Last night, like every game I’ve watched of Nova, a player goes to shoot a three and Neptune screams right in their face. The player makes the basket and chirps back to the bench and Neptune. Then Neptune screams at the refs, waving his arms trying to get the kid a technical. I think he did that against us

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nova’s coach is a jerk. Last night, like every game I’ve watched of Nova, a player goes to shoot a three and Neptune screams right in their face. The player makes the basket and chirps back to the bench and Neptune. Then Neptune screams at the refs, waving his arms trying to get the kid a technical. I think he did that against us

Yep. Got Andre on that.

No way that should be inbthe refs pregame notes but now and it should definitely be addressed at higher levels of the university and the conference.

Put it on video on a conference call and tell him it's over or he's getting a double T.

Reaction Score
Whenever a ref sees/hears that, the coach should be automatically tee'd up imo... not sure what the rules are, though, but that sort of thing seems totally against the spirit of the game at the college level....

This topic and the general and specific performance of BE referees has me wondering if the conference has a formal competition committee like the NFL does. Anybody know? TIA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have visions of peecee with an early NCAA exit. Just barreling in to people. Hopkins will be in foul trouble throughout.
They are ripe for an upset if they get the wrong officiating crew. All that bumping is a foul in most leagues. They play like a hockey team, hip checking constantly. Big East weirdly lets it go, but God Forbid your fingertips contact the guy with the ball, that they call.

On the other hand, if allowed to play that way against a team not used to it, they’d be very hard to handle. Certainly UConn wasn’t used it in our prior game.

Reaction Score
They are ripe for an upset if they get the wrong officiating crew. All that bumping is a foul in most leagues. They play like a hockey team, hip checking constantly. Big East weirdly lets it go, but God Forbid your fingertips contact the guy with the ball, that they call.

On the other hand, if allowed to play that way against a team not used to it, they’d be very hard to handle. Certainly UConn wasn’t used it in our prior game.
Let me first say this: Providence was the better team and hit more of their open shots and a few, not many, contested shots, while UConn had plenty of open looks and blanked on most of them. UConn I thought Providence deserved the victory, but that's my opinion and nothing more.

Now I am going to address if UConn was used to the physicality (the bold part in your message). I can't say UConn wasn't used to it or shrank like a violet from the physicality. It's very tough to compete like that and I think the UConn players were on egg shells wondering if any little thing would get called on them. UConn was getting called for ticky tack fouls and couldn't reciprocate the physicality because of it. At one point in the 2nd half with 14 min left in the game Providence was already in the bonus with UConn getting called for 8 fouls while PC only had 2. When Hopkins got called for a charge and the crowd and Cooley got upset, the very next trip down the court Karaban got called for a bogus "moving" pick call (he wasn't moving) . That was a make up call and the officials were just looking to call anything on UConn at that moment.

I was at that game-the officiating was horrendous. Does UConn foul more in general with dumb reach ins and so forth? Yes. But the officials were calling fouls on UConn for ticky tack stuff and whenever a PC player, especially Bryce Hopkins and Ed Croswell drove into a UConn player and slipped a foul call was made. It was unusually warm and damp outside which had something to do with slickness of the floor as it's over a ice hockey rink.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Not exactly. I do think Big East referees have a lot of tolerance for Providence’s bullspit although that appears to be wearing somewhat thin. Bynum didn’t get the call at the end of overtime against Xavier. He hurled himself into the defender so I don’t think he deserved the call, but Providence usually gets those calls. It could be a sign of things to come.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Villanova looks a lot better now than Little Arch is cemented to the bench.

Had Marquette on the ropes just couldn’t make shots late.
He was absolutely killing them. Addition by subtraction.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let me first say this: Providence was the better team and hit more of their open shots and a few, not many, contested shots, while UConn had plenty of open looks and blanked on most of them. UConn I thought Providence deserved the victory, but that's my opinion and nothing more.

Now I am going to address if UConn was used to the physicality (the bold part in your message). I can't say UConn wasn't used to it or shrank like a violet from the physicality. It's very tough to compete like that and I think the UConn players were on egg shells wondering if any little thing would get called on them. UConn was getting called for ticky tack fouls and couldn't reciprocate the physicality because of it. At one point in the 2nd half with 14 min left in the game Providence was already in the bonus with UConn getting called for 8 fouls while PC only had 2. When Hopkins got called for a charge and the crowd and Cooley got upset, the very next trip down the court Karaban got called for a bogus "moving" pick call (he wasn't moving) . That was a make up call and the officials were just looking to call anything on UConn at that moment.

I was at that game-the officiating was horrendous. Does UConn foul more in general with dumb reach ins and so forth? Yes. But the officials were calling fouls on UConn for ticky tack stuff and whenever a PC player, especially Bryce Hopkins and Ed Croswell drove into a UConn player and slipped a foul call was made. It was unusually warm and damp outside which had something to do with slickness of the floor as it's over a ice hockey rink.
The officiating was the worse I've ever seen in 30 years+ watching games. Mostly because PC was very physical, bumping constantly, with hard body fouls none of which were called. Meanwhile, UConn had small touch fouls, not impacting the offensive player, and all of those were called. I've seen the Big East seems to do that, focusing on hands. PC took advantage of it and it worked against UConn.

Reaction Score
Fans outside of the Big East have no idea how brutal it was for us to be in the AAC gulag. These games are fun.
damn right. Which is why when Kalkbrenner was talking trash to Sanogo in that video about being preseason BEPOY I loved it and had no anger. Sure he looked bad after the fact when Sanogo destroyed him in Gampel, but I still loved it. Why? Because that kind of stuff builds up an exciting and entertaining rivalry and that is what I thought when listened to his statements. I simultaneously thought about the apathy and indifference of when UConn played the likes of Tulsa, Tulane, South Florida, and East Carolina-that is far worse than UConn fans being angry about being 0-5 vs Creighton at the time.

As others have said, I watch the other non-UConn Big East games whereas in the AAC I rarely watched non-UConn games unless it only involved Memphis, SMU, Houston, or Cincinnati and most UConn fans didn't even do that.

Reaction Score
Not exactly. I do think Big East referees have a lot of tolerance for Providence’s bullspit although that appears to be wearing somewhat thin. Bynum didn’t get the call at the end of overtime against Xavier. He hurled himself into the defender so I don’t think he deserved the call, but Providence usually gets those calls. It could be a sign of things to come.
Your funny man.....again last season PC was lucky, this year they get all the calls.......what's next yr going to be.....I can't wait lol.

Reaction Score
The officiating was the worse I've ever seen in 30 years+ watching games. Mostly because PC was very physical, bumping constantly, with hard body fouls none of which were called. Meanwhile, UConn had small touch fouls, not impacting the offensive player, and all of those were called. I've seen the Big East seems to do that, focusing on hands. PC took advantage of it and it worked against UConn.
Correct, you stated it more succinctly that I did. Big East officials focus more on hands and less on body bumping. Hopefully, UConn can adapt to that. However, in that PC game I was referring to, I am not sure it would've mattered. Believe me when I say, it looked even worse in person.

Reaction Score
PC can look at the bright side. it outscored X from the charity stripe.

holy smokes, look at the minutes, and only Carter reached 4 fouls:
45 Hopkins
42 Carter
40 Locke
40 Croswell
35 Bynum

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I didn’t have a dog in the fight of the PC-Xavier game, but I’m scratching my head trying to figure out how the refs were partial to PC.

First of all, they called 6 more fouls against PC than they did on X, so on the face of it the argument doesn’t hold up.

Second, midway through the second half Kunkel came from a distance running at Croswell who was in position for a rebound and Kunkel had no shot at making a play, lowered his shoulder and rammed into Croswell knocking off the court and onto the ground, and then hit him in the head after Croswell was on the ground. It was an obvious flagrant foul and it was obviously intentional. But no flagrant was called even after the refs reviewed the video. If they were going to be partial to PC, that was an obvious spot to do so.

Third, In OT Claude missed on down low with Hopkins guarding him. Hopkins was planted with his arms extended but there was no contact with his arms. There was incidental body contact but nothing you haven’t seen 100 times before. Hopkins was called for the foul. Again, if the refs were being partial, that was an obvious spot to give Hopkins the benefit of the doubt in a key moment, but they dudn’t.

Fourth, with 24 seconds to go, Carter scored to cut X’s lead to a point. On 3 separate occasions, PC tried to give a foul to stop the clock & put X on the line. On their 3rd attempt, X called a timeout and the refs gave it to them instead of calling the foul. It was so obvious that PC was fouling that even Raftery pointed it out. But the refs did call any of those 3 obvious fouls. It was not until their 4th attempt 3 seconds after play was resumed from the timeout with 13 seconds on the clock. PC lost 11 valuable seconds as a result. If anyone was being favored in that situation, it was obviously Xavier.

All 3 of those situations struck me during the game as WTF? moments. And the number of fouks in the post game stats only added additional information. I’m not saying that the refs were wrong. I’m saying that those 4 points should be clear & convincing evidence that the refs were absolutely not favoring PC.

As for PC defenders bumping and getting away with it, every team of refs have things they call and don’t call in a game. All we can ask is that they be consistent, not that they agree with any of us as to how the game should be called. They certainly seemed consistent last night and certainly were not letting PC get away with things that they were calling on X, as evidenced by the fact that they called very few fouls on X at all. Part of a coach’s job is to figure out how the refs are calling the game early on, how much contact they are allowing or not allowing. The coach then needs to advise his players one way or the other. If the refs were allowing physical play and PC took advantage of that, then that’s to their credit. It’s not a knock on anyone.

Reaction Score
PC can look at the bright side. it outscored X from the charity stripe.

holy smokes, look at the minutes, and only Carter reached 4 fouls:
45 Hopkins
42 Carter
40 Locke
40 Croswell
35 Bynum

Holy smokes, look at the minutes and no one reached 4 fouls.

41 Jones
41 Boum
39 Nunge
38 Hunter

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I didn’t have a dog in the fight of the PC-Xavier game, but I’m scratching my head trying to figure out how the refs were partial to PC.

First of all, they called 6 more fouls against PC than they did on X, so on the face of it the argument doesn’t hold up.

Second, midway through the second half Kunkel came from a distance running at Croswell who was in position for a rebound and Kunkel had no shot at making a play, lowered his shoulder and rammed into Croswell knocking off the court and onto the ground, and then hit him in the head after Croswell was on the ground. It was an obvious flagrant foul and it was obviously intentional. But no flagrant was called even after the refs reviewed the video. If they were going to be partial to PC, that was an obvious spot to do so.

Third, In OT Claude missed on down low with Hopkins guarding him. Hopkins was planted with his arms extended but there was no contact with his arms. There was incidental body contact but nothing you haven’t seen 100 times before. Hopkins was called for the foul. Again, if the refs were being partial, that was an obvious spot to give Hopkins the benefit of the doubt in a key moment, but they dudn’t.

Fourth, with 24 seconds to go, Carter scored to cut X’s lead to a point. On 3 separate occasions, PC tried to give a foul to stop the clock & put X on the line. On their 3rd attempt, X called a timeout and the refs gave it to them instead of calling the foul. It was so obvious that PC was fouling that even Raftery pointed it out. But the refs did call any of those 3 obvious fouls. It was not until their 4th attempt 3 seconds after play was resumed from the timeout with 13 seconds on the clock. PC lost 11 valuable seconds as a result. If anyone was being favored in that situation, it was obviously Xavier.

All 3 of those situations struck me during the game as WTF? moments. And the number of fouks in the post game stats only added additional information. I’m not saying that the refs were wrong. I’m saying that those 4 points should be clear & convincing evidence that the refs were absolutely not favoring PC.

As for PC defenders bumping and getting away with it, every team of refs have things they call and don’t call in a game. All we can ask is that they be consistent, not that they agree with any of us as to how the game should be called. They certainly seemed consistent last night and certainly were not letting PC get away with things that they were calling on X, as evidenced by the fact that they called very few fouls on X at all. Part of a coach’s job is to figure out how the refs are calling the game early on, how much contact they are allowing or not allowing. The coach then needs to advise his players one way or the other. If the refs were allowing physical play and PC took advantage of that, then that’s to their credit. It’s not a knock on anyone.
You work really hard in your detail-rich posts that put PC in fuller context.

I noticed a couple others like this the other day in a thread that was locked before I could mention the effort you put into your posts. Thanks for the reminder and opportunity.

I missed the PC-X game, because I was watching the WBB game between UConn & PC in Mullaney Gym.

Reaction Score
Holy smokes, look at the minutes and no one reached 4 fouls.

41 Jones
41 Boum
39 Nunge
38 Hunter
My main point is that pc basically plays 5. Secondary, they play 5 and with their style, and no one fouls out. bizarro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom