February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
2/26

Paige Bueckers sat out tonight's playoff opener for Hopkins. They led by 44 at halftime anyway.
I think she's dealing with a stress reaction in her foot, so limiting her minutes in blowout games makes some sense

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Really starting to like this player for UCONN in '22 especially if UCONN doesn't size another guard to go along with Azzi in '21. Great attitude & perspective on academics ,basketball, family & UCONN is her first choice. With Charli Collier in her ear, she might be a tough pull away from Texas though.

Just wondering where you saw UConn is her first choice. It's good to hear of any highly rated recruit making UConn their first choice. Desire to play at UConn is alive and well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just wondering where you saw UConn is her first choice. It's good to hear of any highly rated recruit making UConn their first choice. Desire to play at UConn is alive and well.
It at the very beginning of the tape. The reporter says if she could pick any school she would pick UCONN.

Reaction Score
Her nickname has to be "Action"

As for UConn, it's nice to hear that from a Texan but we heard that before. I expect that Aston and Mulky will set up speakers outside her house and play "The Eyes of Texas" twice a day for the next 2-3 years. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Really starting to like this player for UCONN in '22 especially if UCONN doesn't sign another guard to go along with Azzi in '21. Great attitude & perspective on academics ,basketball, family & UCONN is her first choice. With Charli Collier in her ear, she might be a tough pull away from Texas though.

Ashlon's USA Basketball profile lists her favorite player as Maya Moore. She's my fave too. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
2022 commit "Ice" Brady went for 27 and 24 (11 offensive boards) in the sectional semi-finals tonight. I was not there. Championship game is on Saturday evening. I'll be there watching that one, against Max Preps #2 ranked nationally team La Jolla Country Day, along with @EricLA and @Golden Husky I hope... and maybe another Boneyarder or two.
It’s great that you guys can show up and support a future Husky. I did the same thing last season with Aubrey. But if you really want to do it right, may I suggest that you, EricLA & Golden Husky show up to the game in bodypaint with a large “I”, “C” & “E” respectively..... :)

Reaction Score
While I typically hate hypotheticals, what does the Board think Geno would do if he had the opportunity to pick up a solid, proven 6'4"+ center as a transfer? Do we have a scholarship for another player this year?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Turns out they led by 53 at the half.
I believe MN HS teams play 18 min halfs. I assume Hopkins didn’t hold their opponent to 0 pts. Anyway you count it, playing without your best player, even vs an undermanned opponent, it’s not easy to score 53+ pts in an 18 minute half.

Reaction Score
While I typically hate hypotheticals, what does the Board think Geno would do if he had the opportunity to pick up a solid, proven 6'4"+ center as a transfer? Do we have a scholarship for another player this year?
I think he'd grab her. Always room for one more.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I have wondered that for some time, even commented on it in another post. Just have to be careful about speculating.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have wondered that for some time, even commented on it in another post. Just have to be careful about speculating.
I won't speculate. But in general, there are quite a few 5 star juniors of size that are not happy in their current situation. With this new transfer rule looming I wouldn't be surprised if Geno hasn't accepted a few calls already.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think he'd grab her. Always room for one more.
I can’t imagine UConn grabbing a one and done transfer next year, even if she’s a talented Big. Geno has 5 of his top 6 players returning, along with super transfer Evina, plus a talented group of 5 incoming freshmen. Taking a transfer sends the wrong message to a group of kids that will be at war every day in practice fighting for PT.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine UConn grabbing a one and done transfer next year, even if she’s a talented Big. Geno has 5 of his top 6 players returning, along with super transfer Evina, plus a talented group of 5 incoming freshmen. Taking a transfer sends the wrong message to a group of kids that will be at war every day in practice fighting for PT.
Why accept a one and done when there are plenty of talented and disgruntled junior and sophomore bigs wanting a change of scenery? Also, that transfer enters with a bunch of freshmen, so in effect, she'd be part of that freshmen class and not an interloper.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why accept a one and done when there are plenty of talented and disgruntled junior and sophomore bigs wanting a change of scenery? Also, that transfer enters with a bunch of freshmen, so in effect, she'd be part of that freshmen class and not an interloper.
Keep in mind that Amari, Saylor & Ice are not committed until they sign their NLI’s during their senior season. The last thing UConn wants is for their future recruits to have second thoughts because Geno is bringing in transfers to play ahead of them.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Amari, Saylor & Ice are not committed until they sign their NLI’s during their senior season. The last thing UConn wants is for their future recruits to have second thoughts because Geno is bringing in transfers to play ahead of them.
Accepting a junior as a transfer would mean by the time Deberry comes the transfer is a senior. By the time Ice comes, she won't be there. Saylor is not a big, but a wing, and it would affect her whether she comes or not.

Reaction Score
Auriemma didn’t hesitate to take Stevens when he had a veteran, talented team that was fighting for PT. IMO, his concern is winning games and NCs. This team is still small and thin inside next year and if he thinks he needs a veteran big to give ONO some help and give them a shot at a NC, I don’t think he’d hesitate now either. JMO, but I don’t think he worries about sending PT messages.

Reaction Score
With the 5 freshman and Evina, they will still have only 11 players next year. I say sure there is room for a good big transfer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom